More Small Bikes and More Big Canyons

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cwc, Mar 2, 2008.

1. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Dog of the day
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Dean sez:
    <o:p></o:p>
    20 Feb 08
    Today we kicked around El Fuerte. Bill and Charlie took Bills constant loss battery to get charged, Bill and I ate a half Chicken from a street grill, served with macaroni salad and at least a dozen tortillas all for $4.75. At the hotel I think we paid $13.50 each with an included breakfast. That’s with the W W C P discount
    Bill and I toured the Fort here in town. From the roof of the fort I spotted an old Northfield Lines bus that I drove in the mid nineties. Closer inspection showed that it was the bus that I picked up new at the dealership and then drove for about 4 years. El Fuerte is a good town to explore and take a rest day.

[​IMG]
    We go to charge the battery.
    [​IMG]
    Parking for motos at the hotel.
    [​IMG]
    We did a little grocery shopping.
    [​IMG]
    We decided to pass on the snake as we didn’t have a place to cook it.
    [​IMG]
    This man sells these great looking veggies to the street vendors.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dean’s old bus.
    [​IMG]
    Dean has a health food lunch. Chips with salsa from a street vendor. Note the Snickers bars by his elbow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Random El Fuerte shots
    Tomorrow we go back to Bato.
  2. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap UMR stands for Rural Medical Unit, in the back of the sign you can see the road coming from San Miguel, north of Morelos.

This medical units are pread in most of the small towns , comunities, have radios to be in touch with the supportins towns such as Guachochi, or Chihuahua and have a local air strip to handle emergencies and be flown to Guachochi , Chihuahua. It takes more or less and hour to get to Chihuahua city for just $ 500.00 ( for an emergency ¡¡ )

So keep note of this medical units can be real handy !!

The knife is the room keeper key, they lost all the keys !!, had to return it.:freaky
  3. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Dog of the day
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Dean sez:
    21 Feb 08
    We left El Fuerte about 8am did 35 miles of tar through Choix to Tubares, and then gravel to Rodeo and on to Batopilas where we arrived about 4:30pm. From Tubares to Batopilas it is unimproved 2 track with a drivable (this time) river crossing across the Rio Urique. In Rodeo we got snacks and refreshments, she opened the tienda just for us, and the kids got balloons and stickers, everybody happy. Our rooms here in Batopilas are quite nice at Juanita&#8217;s, nice beds a great roof top view of the valley and surrounding mountains, and all for under $17.00 with the W W C P discount. Homemade supper, with homemade lemonade at a woman&#8217;s house, very enjoyable on the front porch, $7.00 with tip. Enjoyed talking with 3 GS riders, 2 from Arizona and 1 from Vancouver BC. Ed from a tiny island off of Vancouver Island joined us for supper, he is looking for a place to relocate in his retirement. Batopilas is appealing to him.

[​IMG]
    Dean rides through the Rio Urique, a rare event in my experience.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some views from Juanitas.
    We start home (slowly) tomorrow.
  4. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Dog of the day
    Dean sez:
    22 Feb 08
    Batopilas to Cuauhtémoc approximately 160 miles, first 35 are dirt up out of the Batopilas Canyon. Then a little lunch stop, and then Charlie and I stopped to talk with Mark Sampson of BigDogAdventures.com and his traveling companion Tim Rhoads. We will be sending Mark our pics as he lost his camera some where along the way. I hope he can use some of what we send him. Bill did not know that we had stopped as he was out front and really enjoying the twisties of the tar back toward Creel. Bill must have ridden about half way there, waited and then turned around to look for us, he got back to us right after we got under way.
    From Creel we took the paved road to Cuauhtémoc. We got a huge 3 double bed room there for $13.00 each.

[​IMG]

It was great fun to meet Mark and Tim on the road today. We had just hit the pavement when I saw the Husqvarna and knew at once who it was. We stopped and exchanged lots of info and a little BS before we went our separate ways. They were covering the in one day what took us two days to do. It made me feel a little slow, but then I AM slow so what the heck. (Tim Rhoads photo hijacked from BDA)

[​IMG]
    Our room in Cuauhtémoc. I got the bed by the heater.:D
    Tomorrow Chihuahua
  5. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Dog of the day
    Dean sez:
    23 Feb 08
    We took the scenic and free tar road from Cuauhtémoc to Chihuahua started out at about 9am. Cool but sunny. Oh, forgot to mention that we felt very safe sleeping last night in Cuauhtémoc, cause the guy who parked his pickup next to our bikes, had a 9 mm on his hip and carried a submachine gun into the hotel with him.
    When we got to Chihuahua, we checked into the Maria Dolores early afternoon, and then went and had a burger at Carl Jrs, as the Sonic was closed down. Back at the hotel we did a bit of bike maintenance and then walked the main square of town and some of the markets. Charlie got a message back at the hotel that we should not eat supper and that Arturo was coming to pick us up. We went to an Argentinean Restaurant, where we gorged on beef, and bread and beer, it was a great evening out, we returned to the hotel and plugged the camera into the lobby computer and looked at trip pictures, got to bed around midnight.

We were looking for a Sonic because they had the best chili-cheeseburger a couple of years ago. A big cheeseburger piled high with green chilies. It was not to be.
    After today it was all about going home so I’ll skip to the credits and thanks.
    Thanks to all that made our trip a success, from the Moto Mutz to the people of Mexico and everyone in between.
    Thanks to Paul and Voni for providing storage space and letting us invade their home on both ends of the trip.
    Thanks to Arturo, Bill and Dean for traveling with me and contributing to this report.

Special thanks to Dean for taking most of the photos and keeping a trip log that helped me present the report.
    It was a pleasure to travel with all of you.
  6. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Charlie, for scouting routes, developing tracks, and being so generous with them over the years. And for negotiating some awesome hotel deals.:clap
  7. fugarwe

fugarwe Usual Suspect

Oddometer:
    Yeah, thanks Dad. For keeping the KLR Mexico ready for me, and the Beemer LD ready for me. I wouldn't be able to do this fun stuff if not for you being me unpaid mechanic. And thanks for keeping the tracks and GPS info organized. Everyone on our trip with a GPS relied heavily on those tracks.

What I think you should do is buy a place in the Canyons as base camp. Don't you think it would make a great legacy for your three granddaughters?:evil
  8. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
    Sweet! go little XT go! :clap
  9. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I always enjoy y'alls ride reports. - great attitudes, dry sense of humor.

Thanks for posting. :thumb
  10. olekaw

olekaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all you guys for the great report, I wish we would have had more time to ride together in the canyons. Our group had a great trip but now I see what we missed also. Charlie, your GPS tracks were perfect, thanks for loading them up for me. I,m already looking forward to the next trip.

Love the Dog of the Day. :clap Craig
  11. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    So thats who bought flyingbeards DRZ! Sweet bike.
  12. irishdec

irishdec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So thats what the copper canyon looks like,I'd love to do it,but am more of a "slab" guy,never learned cross country biking.Loved the water crossing vid--kudos guys.And for pic's ...great stuff.How cold/warm was it down there at that time of the year anyway?
    regards
    irishdec
    :clap
  13. Mr. B

Mr. B Slowpoke

Oddometer:

It will be better once I sort out the electrical issues.

(The tongue helps me balance, Michael Jordan-like.)
  14. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :deal Safest way to cross the 2 bridges just before La Bufa is by the centre of the tracks, they might separate and the fall is 20 meters !!:clap
  15. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    People from the state of Chihuahua are named CHIHUAHUENSES, not CHIHUAHUEÑOS ( that is for the small dogs ) if you do so they, we for sure get offended, I won´t cause I know when it is being used to offend.:lol3
  16. greengoose

greengoose n00b

Oddometer:
    Great ride report - lots of pics - lots of smiles - and the dog of the day thing is just brilliant :clap
  17. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report, Charlie! You guys really explored some cool routes. :thumb When are you coming back to Salida?
  18. Loud Al

Loud Al .

Oddometer:
    Great report, I just my first MX trip and I can't wait to go back. Thanks for posting:clap
  19. RECON

RECON Guit Sum

Oddometer:
    What a great adventure, thanks for sharing!
  20. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
    nice report guys, loved the dog pics