1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Morocco - 5 Weeks in another century

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by tomcat9, May 3, 2021.

1. Red liner

Red liner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you sure it was a bread supplier…maybe he was just stealing the bread and you caught him in the act haha.

love Morocco. Something about the place and the people. Am in.
    tomcat9 likes this.
  2. tomcat9

tomcat9 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    hahaha.... never came to my mind.... :rofl
    Red liner likes this.
  3. tomcat9

Oddometer:
    still 25. September

As you can see from my ride report, I learn by writing and just try out a few things. Here I wanted to show the last section of the route of September 25th for a better overview.

Bild 31.png

After a hearty lunch we drove further south, heading to Tamtetoucht. After about half an hour we left the barren mountain landscape and we lost a few meters in altitude. It warmed up immediately and went on for a few miles with less tight turns.

Bild 32.jpg

Expanse…

Bild 33.jpg

In the south of Tamtetoucht we found an auberge and took it right away. It was not even 4 a.m. but this time we wanted to take our accommodation and then go again. We could park the motorbikes right in front of our rooms by the pool and comfortably bring our belongings into the rooms.

The pool at the Auberge Bougafer

Bild 34.jpg

It looks really shabby from the outside, but when you're inside, it's really comfortable and tidy. You immediately feel comfortable.

Bild 35-1.jpg

Of course, afternoon tea is a must. As you can see, we feel good.

Bild 35.jpg

After the delicious tea and the break, we drove off again. We wanted to see the gorge on the same day….

To be continued…
    scudo, dtysdalx2, BillUA and 6 others like this.
  4. heyx2rr

heyx2rr n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing, looking forward to the rest of your journey. I'm booked for a moto tour in this area for November of this year. Looking forward to it even more after reading your posts.
    tomcat9 likes this.
  5. tomcat9

Oddometer:

Thanks.
    Oh you will have so much fun. It should be warm enough and the streets are not to bad in this area. And morocco is a different world... Just enjoy.:ricky
    heyx2rr likes this.
  6. tomcat9

Oddometer:

It's not over yet. The mopeds had to run again ...
    After tea we started again to drive through the gorge.
    At 20 minutes past 4 p.m. we were back on the road. The road was still just to be enjoyed. The Todra Gorge was just the encore….

Bild 41.jpg

From our accommodation it was only 30 minutes to the gorge but they were worth seeing. Old buildings, winding streets and good weather. What more do you want.

Bild 42.jpg

Just to enjoy

Bild 43.jpg

This is the entrance to the Todra Gorge. There were a couple of street vendors on the side of the road and a couple of coaches in the area of the gorge. The narrow, very high area is not that long and, whoosh, you're already through.

Bild 44.jpg

We then drove a little further and took a "shortcut" ... But no problem, we have dual-sport motorcycles :-)

Bild 45.jpg

We soon realized that this is not a normal dirt road, but it looked more like we had landed in the quarry.

Bild 46.jpg

First of all, explore and discuss whether and how we can get out of there

Bild 47.jpg

There were already positions where the two of us had to lend a hand. The tires, the weight and our skill level on unpaved roads demanded everything from us. But we were only briefly on this "playground".

Bild 48.jpg

Back at the Auberge we had dinner - couscous with vegetables and bread - in our Bedouin tent. Now it was almost 0900 p.m.

Bild 49.jpg

For dessert some fruit and the day was over ...

Bild 50.jpg
    23103a, scudo, NSFW and 12 others like this.
  7. tomcat9

Oddometer:
    26.September

Today's route. As you can clearly see, we just wanted to draw a Y in the landscape :-)

What you can't see is the connecting road from the point "Marokko" on the top right to the point "R704" on the left. But more about that later ...

Bild 0.png

At half past seven I got out of bed and took a shower. This is what an average Moroccan bathroom looks like. There is basically no shower curtain. Not even if the bathroom is much smaller and everything gets wet while showering.

Bild 1.jpg

Shortly after eight we meet in the Bedouin tent for Breakfast. The selection is very appealing. As you can see there are eggs, butter, jam, bread, cheese, yogurt, coffee and of course freshly squeezed orange juice. The olives should have been left out for all I care, but my two companions really liked them.

It is a good start to the day if you have breakfast completely relaxed in the open tent in this nice weather.

Bild 2 Kopie.jpg

We have planned our tour like always. We wanted to leave the accommodation to the north and then come on a small road to the west to the road R704. And then we would have driven this road to the south and to the Gorge de Dades. Well, as you will later see, we discarded this plan and turned around.

But before we came to this bumpy road we saw this market at the junction to the north of Tamtetoucht. Was busy as always…

Bild 3 Kopie.jpg

We have set out to find the path we have chosen and soon found it.

Up to this Auberge the path was really fine and here you could also inquire about the condition of the rest of the way to the other side of the mountain. But that already warned us that one had to inquire about it at all….

We asked and were told that the route was passable….

Bild 4.jpg

It turned out that passable is a matter of definition ... It would have been at the limit of my skill level and I was alone on the motorcycle. With two up it's a completely different number. We decided to go through the Todra Gorge again and then come from the south into the Gorge de Dades.

Bild 5.jpg

But these scree roads could still be used for beautiful photos….

Bild 6.jpg

Back at the junction with the market, I took this picture. Here you can see how important it is for the locals not to be photographed. I immediately had a bad conscience, but since there really is no face to be seen, I can show it here. The photo was taken with a zoom and yet I was noticed while taking the photo.

Bild 7.jpg

We got back on the tarred road and made our way south to the Todra Gorge. Now we were there in the morning and the lighting conditions were better than the evening before.

Bild 8.jpg

At the end of the Gorge

Bild 9.jpg

To be continued...
    scudo, BillUA, Saso and 4 others like this.
  8. tomcat9

Oddometer:

After the Todra Gorge we drove south to Tinghir.

This oasis town was only about 20 minutes away from the gorge.

Tinghir is a place on the N10 from which you turn onto the R703 into the Todra Gorge and the city with approx. 45,000 inhabitants is not that small at all. The N10 is an east-west road and we turned west onto the N10.

Impressions from Tinghir ...

Bild 10.jpg

The N10 will bring us to Boumalne Dadès. At the outskirts of Tinghir you can already see that this road is rather good, fast and easy to drive. We have about 35 miles to the next place and we got a little hungry in time for lunch. We reach Boumalne Dades shortly before noon and half an hour later we are already sitting comfortably next to a snack Hotel and enjoying meat skewer with french fries. For dessert there was a yogurt with fruit.

Bild 11.jpg

We have a nice view of the busy square and the shops. There is the butcher next to the clothing store and here you just hang out what you have in both shops.

Bild 12.jpg

It was now shortly after 1:00 a.m. and as it always is, school is over and we parked right next to it. And this is what it looks like ...

Departure in front of the school

Bild 13.jpg

While the N10 is now heading south, we take the R704 north. This road is basically parallel to the R703 (Todra Gorge) and now leads us into the even more famous gorge - the Gorges du Dadès.

After leaving the town of Boumalne Dadès it is only about 20 minutes on the R704 to Tamellalt. The cities have always formed around the oases and so you can always see a lot of green there.

Entrance to the Gorges du Dadès.

Bild 14.jpg

At the end of Tamellalt you pass the monkey finger rocks. Here you go straight into the gorge and after another 20 minutes you drive up the serpentines where a restaurant is waiting for you upstairs.

The monkey finger rocks

Bild 15.jpg

Here you can already see the upper end ...

Bild 16.jpg

The switchbacks are easy to drive and so we had a lot of fun going up there. As you can see, the view from up there is great. On the left side you can see a small parking lot. There are also a few motorcycles to be seen and ... .. We discover Kurt and Heidi from Austria.

Bild 17.jpg

It is amazing what the human eye can see, although you actually can't see it. The posture together with the light suit immediately convinced me that these are our two friends from the ferry. It is easier to see with the camera than without.

Bild 18.jpg

We intercepted them to drink a Coke together in the cafe and bring us up to date on what we all have experienced so far. After a total of 90 minutes in the cafe with the great view, we drove a bit together up to the north.

Bild 19.jpg

We still had different plans, but that in the next post :-)
    scudo, dtysdalx2, BillUA and 5 others like this.
  9. tomcat9

Oddometer:

After we talked for a long time, the five of us drove to the north at around 4 p.m. After the Gorges du Dadès, the landscape has changed a little again. The long curves and the canyons carved out by a river reminded me a lot of the canyons in Utah and Arizona. Horseshoe Bend in Arizona and especially Gooseneck state park in Utah have the same rock formations, in my opinion.

Bild 20.jpg

We drove to Tilmi, said goodbye and drove south again. The whole beautiful route once more.

I can still remember stopping in this corner very well. Somehow I managed to knock my motorcycle over when I stopped. It's not embarrassing at all :muutt:dirtdog . The road slopes slightly inwards. You can see that in the picture. And because of that, the curve inside leg was too short to hold the motorcycle.

I could have done that when there were only three of us on the road ... :fpalm

Bild 21.jpg

Reminds me a lot of Gooseneck State Park ...

Bild 22.jpg

Here you can still see Tom and Heike ...

Bild 23.jpg

But without zoom ... This pixels are my fellows

Bild 24.jpg

Here we are an hour further south and shortly before the exit from the gorge. The destination was the oasis city of El-Kelâa M’Gouna. I think we just had the goal to continue on the N10 and then we found something in El-Kelâa M’Gouna for the night.

Here once more a part of the Gorges du Dadès

Bild 25.jpg

Now we are already at our accommodation and take photos from the terrace. This time it is a real Kasbah, the Kasbah Itran. There are pictures from the inside of the Kasbah in the next post.
    We were just after 6 p.m. at the accommodation and were happy to have found such a nice place to stay for the night.

This is not our accommodation...

Bild 26.jpg

In the parking lot in front of the Kasbah.

Bild 27.jpg

To be continued…
    scudo, NSFW, dtysdalx2 and 3 others like this.
  10. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic report

greetings from NZ :wave
  11. tomcat9

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot!

Greetings back from El Paso, TX :thumb

Tom
    bigjohnsd and Shaggie like this.
  12. tomcat9

Oddometer:

From the terrace you could look out over the oasis and see the crumbling old buildings. I can imagine that that used to be the old town center, but I don't know any more details. The next morning we had breakfast on the terrace, but we ate dinner inside the Kasbah.

Bild 30.jpg

The rooms were very different from what we are used to. The ceiling construction with the wood and bamboo as well as the decorated walls were great. Everything made an original impression. But at least we already had electricity.

Bild 31.jpg

The room was not lockable. There was no lock, just a wooden bolt. Fortunately, we didn't need the fireplace. As always, the bathroom was without a shower curtain and you can imagine what the toilet looks like after a shower.

Bild 32.jpg

Above the passage in the hallway ...

Bild 33.jpg

The floor lighting in the hallway

Bild 34.jpg

The starter soup was served with a wooden spoon…. As you can see it tasted good ...

Bild 35.jpg

We had had dinner and then got a musical show, especially with drummers. It was atmospheric and very loud, but that way it stays in your memory.
    scudo, BillUA, Aces 6 and 4 others like this.
  13. tomcat9

Oddometer:
    27.September

Today we will travel from El-Kelâa M’Gouna via Skoura and Ouarzazate to Zagora. There we are up to 50 miles on the Algerian border. There will be varied driving sections again. From desert over mountains and valleys through oases and again through desert.

Bild 0.png

But of course we first have to start the day with a hearty breakfast. It is a good start in the day on the terrace with this view over the oasis with the crumbling old Kasbah in the background. The breakfast once more left nothing to be desired and since we had already packed the suitcases, we took it slowly.

Bild 1.jpg

Everything you need…

Bild 2.jpg

At around 9:30 a.m. we were on our way. Here we are at the exit of El-Kelâa M’Gouna and we are on the N10 towards Ouarzazate. Everything is sold here by the roadside.

Bild 3.jpg

This kasbah is on the outskirts of Skoura and is also an auberge. Doesn't look like a place to stay for passing through.

Kasbah Ben Moro

Bild 4.jpg

We didn't waste any time and arrived in Ouarzazate just before noon. Our goal was to visit the Kasbah Taourirt.
    The Kasbah began in the 17th century and was taken over and expanded by an influential family in the 19th century.
    This fortress controlled several important valleys like the Draa and the Dades Valley as part of the Saharan trade routes. One of the Glaoui family was known as the pasha of Marrakesch in the 20th century. After the Glaoui family lost the control of that region in the 20th century the Kasbah began to decay. In 1990 the people startet to restore a small part of this Kasbah with the help of UNESCO and is now open as a historical attraction.
    In some unrestored parts of this Kasbah live still families today.
    The Kasbah appeared in some movies like Gladiator and Prince of Persia.

Kasbah Taourirt.

Bild 5.jpg

In the forecourt

Bild 6.jpg

Caught in the act..

Bild 7 Kopie.png

The impressive ceiling

Bild 8.jpg

There live still people in the unrestored part of the Kasbah

Bild 9.jpg

To be continued…
    scudo, BillUA, Saso and 4 others like this.
  14. tomcat9

Oddometer:

In one of the rooms were this man writing your name in Arabic for 20 Dirham. I remembered that it was my niece’s birthday. So I wrote him „Happy Birthday Nadja“ and he wrote it in Arabic. I hope it is what I gave him to write :-)

Bild 10.png

He had this useful overview for translation into the various scriptures. You can also see the Berber letters.

Bild 11.jpg

Shortly before 1:00 p.m. we left the Kasbah and started looking for lunch. The square in front of the fortress was large and spacious. In the middle of the picture, however, you can see a roof terrace and we got something to eat there.

Bild 12.jpg

It was a very cozy little restaurant with a great view of the Kasbah. But I can't remember what we ate there and whether it was good or not.

Bild 13.jpg

Our motorcycles were taken care of again. There were more than enough helpers and they always earned a few dirhams. Parking was never a problem, as we were traveling by motorcycle and it was never so overcrowded that we couldn't find a place.

Bild 14.jpg

At 2 p.m. we hit the road again. So far we had only made about half of the route. There were still a few mountains and valleys ahead of us before we should arrive in Zagora. The first hour of driving was through barren land with a few nice curves and a lot up and down.

Bild 15.jpg

Ouarzazate lies south of the High Atlas Mountains and the route to Zagora leads south through the Anti-Atlas Mountains. We could see that clearly here ...

Short break for photography and landscape admiration.

Bild 16.jpg

After about an hour we came to this oasis. Nice curves and lots of palm trees, but there will be much more later…

Bild 17.jpg

It got a bit barren again when we left the oasis. Now we had a lot of sand left and right again. The road was in really good condition as you can see here. But that has also changed mile by mile. Here in the picture you can also see the minarets. It's not a big city, but you can already see three minarets lined up.

Bild 18.jpg

Shortly before Zagora we came to this oasis that could hardly be overlooked. A sea of palm trees with a minaret in the middle. We were really impressed with the amount of palm trees.

Bild 19.jpg

Now we were only a few miles from Zagora.

To be continued…
    scudo, NSFW, timc. and 7 others like this.
  15. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just glad to be here.

Oddometer:
    Looks like another planet from here.

MN USA. Have safe travels! :wave
  16. tomcat9

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    yes, it looks like another world or just like from another epoch.:-)

Greeting to Minnesota, I will see this state for the first time this summer...:clap
  17. tomcat9

Oddometer:

We were still at the lookout point at the oasis, took photos and videos and used that as a break. This is one of the photos I took. I like this photo because it's not posed and the women laugh so nicely and have a good time.

Bild 21.jpg

We only drove 5 minutes from the viewpoint and came to the city of Zagora. It was almost 5:30 pm and we were looking for a room for the night.

Bild 22.jpg

Roundabout in Zagora

Bild 23.jpg

We absolutely had to take a picture here. I didn't even know there was such a familiar sign. From here there are still 52 day trips to Tombouctou now Timbuktu in Mali. I couldn't find a way through the desert on Google Maps, so I only took the air line on the map. Today Timbuktu is an oasis city in Mali with around 50,000 inhabitants.

Way to Timbuktu ...

Bild 24.jpg

Almost 1,000 miles as the crow flies...

Bild 25.png

We met a young man who took the photo at the sign for us and he told us that he had a workshop or that he worked there and that we had to stop by the workshop for a photo. We did and he took photos. It turned out that this workshop has a lot of customers from rallying and is not that unknown at all ...

Bild 26.jpg

We took the hotel Hôtel les palmeraies directly at the roundabout where the sign for Timbuktu is. The rooms were OK with a pool and a nice roof terrace.

After checking in at the hotel, we went to dinner and tea shouldn't be missing there either. We had pizza that tasted more like a frozen pizza. We only ate about half and gave the rest to a homeless person.

Waiter pouring tea ...

Bild 27.jpg

As we were sitting in a coffee shop, we noticed how a beggar spoke to a well-dressed guest who had his table right on the sidewalk. We didn't understand what the beggar was saying, but the guest cut off a piece of his food without batting an eyelid, put it on a napkin and handed it to the beggar. No fuss, no annoying palaver, just as if it was the most normal thing in the world. We have learned that feeding the poor is taken seriously here. That's why we gave the pizza to the homeless because here it was normal to pass on food.

The shops were still open and so we went in one or the other. Here as an example a small general store ...

Bild 28.jpg

We strolled back to the hotel and called it a night. And so quickly was another day gone.
    scudo, MrKiwi, timc. and 6 others like this.
  18. tomcat9

Oddometer:
    28.september

As you can see in the picture, we are not wearing any motorcycle clothes. We took the hotel for 2 days and take a day off from motorcycle riding. We had late breakfast and the photo wasn't taken until 10:30 am. You have to relax sometimes. Therefore there are only a few impressions from Zagora from that day. Breakfast was again on the roof terrace, just as we loved it. In retrospect, I have to say that we spent a lot of time outdoors. This time we had the choice between having breakfast inside, one floor below or just taking the things with us upstairs and outside as we did.

Bild 1.jpg

There must be an official facility across from our hotel. People got there and stood in line and held out for a long time. I just learned that it is a courthouse (GoogleMaps).

Bild 2.jpg

I was able to take a few pictures of the people without being looked at crookedly. It is the people you meet on the journey that impress you the most. It is a shame that it is so difficult to capture it in pictures to pass it on to others.

Bild 3.jpg

You have to look twice to see what kind of “load” this truck has loaded

Bild 4.jpg

On the way to the sales booth? In any case, a completely normal form of transportation….

Bild 5.jpg

A small mosque in the middle of Zagora

Bild 6.jpg

In the afternoon there was some pool time.

We have had a good time. A bit of reading, a bit of swimming and if I remember correctly there was also a coffee by the pool ...

Bild 7.jpg

In the evening we had dinner. We took next to no photos and it was rather unspectacular. The next day the tour started again. But the day started very early though….

scudo, BillUA, Aces 6 and 1 other person like this.
  19. tomcat9

Oddometer:
    29. September

Today's route will take us from Zagora to Tata via the N12 road. Morocco will show us a lot of desert and it will be a day with many camels.

b0 Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-28 um 17.22.10.png

Actually, I wanted to sleep in well to be fit for the ride. It won't be a particularly long drive, but we wanted to regenerate a bit in Zagora as well. Anyway, the day started a little early. I recorded the video at 5:19 a.m.. I cannot upload a mp3 file, so I uploaded the video. But there is nothing to be seen except the fly screen. Looks like "The Blair Witch Project". It's all about the audio and the early morning atmosphere.

Adjust volume to loud…

After the normal morning routine with getting up, morning hygiene, packing bags, packing the motorcycle and having a delicious breakfast on the roof terrace, we left for Tata after 9:30 a.m. From the landscape you can already see that we are traveling more through the desert today. Left and right the road we always saw mountains in the background, but the main path was straight and flat.

b1 20170929_094021 _Fuji.jpg

But even on straight stretches you occasionally see something that you don't see every day. Here we passed real Bedouins. These tents are not meant to impress tourists. I find it difficult to imagine what everyday life here looks like.

b2 20170929_100822 _Rebel.jpg

Today we don't see any cattle, sheep or goats in the steppe. Today we see wild camels. These are actually dromedaries and are not as wild as I thought. In reality, these animals have owners.
    Dromedaries live to be 40 years old. They were brought to the Sahara about 200 years AD as livestock for the Trans Sahara Trade Route.

We were happy to see so many dromedaries in the steppe.

b3 20170929_100845 _Rebel.png

Every now and then a small village came and we were in the tea mood again. Let's see what we can find here.

b5 20170929_104139 _Fuji.jpg

When you find such a nice shop you have to stop. We were of course curious and took a look around. The owner was happy that we had a look and immediately offered us tea. He didn't have any chairs but we didn't mind and so we took the boxes as seats.

b6 20170929_105215 _Rebel.jpg

We sat and waited for tea. We didn't have a table either, but if you can make such beautiful chairs, you will also find a table. We have already replenished our fluid balance and enjoyed the situation. The photo was taken by the owner of the shop.

b7 20170929_105509 _Rebel.jpg

When the tea was ready we also had a "Lesieur" table. Seems like a designer table. The tea came in such a beautifully shiny teapot. The teapot, glasses and tray were spotlessly clean. The tea should be poured as high as possible without spilling anything. As you can see, there was also bread and cheese spread.

b8 20170929_105756 _Rebel.jpg

It's great when you meet these nice people who are just happy that you stopped and looked into their shop. The tea and bread was an invitation from the shopkeeper. Of course we paid for our cold drinks and gave a tip and managed that it didn’t look like we paid for the tea and bread.

b9 20170929_110037 _Rebel.jpg

To be continued...
    scudo, BillUA, garfey and 8 others like this.
  20. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spent two weeks staying in Tata and then visiting different towns around it for 2 weeks doing a medical humanitarian mission 4 years ago. I would've loved to have had my moto with me!