Morocco Atlas Mountains 6 day trip Nov 19

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Will Rogers, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Will Rogers

Will Rogers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 4 took us to Tinghir via Nekob, Ikniouen and Alnif. At Nekob, people were lining up for a ceremony to mark the official opening of the new road - the beginning of which was announced, ironically, with this mural: IMG_2519.JPG IMG_2520.JPG
  2. Will Rogers

Oddometer:
    Got to say that it was a lovely road with beautiful scenery and no traffic. IMG_2522.JPG
    MadRider777 likes this.
  3. Will Rogers

Oddometer:
    IMG_2524.JPG
  4. Will Rogers

Oddometer:
    Time for tea. I don't usually drink mint tea but in North Africa it always hits the spot. IMG_3205.JPG
    oldskool63 likes this.
  5. Will Rogers

Oddometer:
    Obligatory visit to the tiny souvenir shop IMG_2523.JPG
    MadRider777 and thadf like this.
  6. Will Rogers

Oddometer:
    Lunch stop in Ikniouen and then turned off the tarmac onto the piste to Alnif (MH10). IMG_2526.JPG
    MadRider777 likes this.
  7. Will Rogers

Oddometer:
    This was a really nice route and hopefully won't be tarmacked! IMG_2533.JPG
    Muscongus likes this.
  8. Will Rogers

Oddometer:
    Some more mountain views. IMG_2536.JPG

Attached Files:

9. Will Rogers

Oddometer:
    The last thing you want to meet on narrow, mountain trails with blind corners are... IMG_2543.JPG
  10. Will Rogers

Oddometer:
    ...these things being driven flat out with no regard for anyone else IMG_2607.JPG
  11. Will Rogers

Oddometer:
    There was a cloud of dust ahead and the sound of a high revving engine. An ATV buggy came tearing round the bend flat-out. We just had to get out of the way. Altogether, we met two tourist groups of eight buggies with support vehicles.

I don't want to be a spoil other people's fun but their behaviour was dangerous for everyone. One of them came past me sideways missing me by a couple of feet. From then on I kept to the inside of the track.
  12. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Yes. That's pretty much how everyone in the US drives them too. Awesome photos.
    Will Rogers likes this.
  13. Will Rogers

Oddometer:
    Apart from the ATVs, the only other vehicles we met in three hours were an old Ford Transit mini-bus and a 4-wheel drive overland truck. The views (again) were stupendous. IMG_2548.JPG IMG_2551.JPG IMG_2556.JPG
    MadRider777 and Muscongus like this.
  14. Will Rogers

Oddometer:
    Phil's bike fell over when the side-stand collapsed again but this time with consequenses. The ball-end of his clutch lever broke off plus the mirror mounting. Luckily the clutch mounting was still serviceable. It would be best to have hand guards and carry spares because it's easy to break a lever. It might be possible to arrange in advance with the rental agencies. IMG_2550.JPG
  15. Will Rogers

Oddometer:
    Coming down onto the open plain, the piste was fast all the way to Alnif where we refuelled and headed to Tinghir on another new tarmac road. IMG_2562.JPG
  16. Will Rogers

Oddometer:
    Found the Hotel Iriki on the road to the Todra Gorge - a nice place with views over the Palmerie IMG_2568.JPG IMG_2576.JPG
    MadRider777 likes this.
  17. Will Rogers

Oddometer:
    Day 5 to Marrakech via Boumalne Dades and Ouarzazate. It was a beautiful morning but the weather deteriorated and we had our most challenging day of the trip. IMG_2572.JPG
  18. Will Rogers

Oddometer:
    Phil's fuel cap had fallen off a couple of days earlier and, when we stopped to fill up, the lock completely seized up. After 20 minutes of mullering the lock to the point of disintegration, we finally managed to prise it off with a screwdriver and spanner provided by the helpful fuel station attendant. With the cap held on with duct tape, we carried on into ever increasing wind off the mountains. By the time we got to Ouarzazate it was hitting 50 knots and gusting; turning into a full-blown dust storm. It was painful on my skin below my goggles having only a thin face/neck tube for protection. Keeping from getting blown off the road was hard and visibility dropped to 50 yards.

At the historic village of Ait-Benhaddou (location for the film 'Gladiator' and many others) we were planning to stop for lunch but the storm was raging around the fifty or so tour buses lining the main drag so we didn't fancy it. As we rose up the valley, the wind started to drop but ominous dark clouds appeared above the mountains. Phil had brought waterproof overtrousers. IMG_2577.JPG
    Herman1 likes this.
  19. Will Rogers

Oddometer:
    We'd taken the Telouet route because we thought it would be more scenic and less road works. There wasn't hardly any other traffic traffic but visibility dropped to 100 yards as we rode up into low cloud and rain. At which point we rejoined the main Tizi-n-Tichka N9 route with it's mixture of HGVs, buses, cars and some hard-core cyclists.

As we reached the highest point of the pass, the rain turned to ice. This was not in the holiday plan!

Not wanting to stop and take my wet gloves off, I've taken the liberty of nicking this photo from Christian7's RR "Time travel: Marocco with my old Honda 125 CG"

https://advrider.com/f/threads/time-travel-marocco-with-my-old-honda-125-cg.1387446/ IMG_2674.jpg
  20. Will Rogers

Oddometer:
    Descending the pass, there were miles of roadworks and the rain had turned the road surface into a slippery, red ochre sludge. I wish I had taken a picture of the miles of queuing trucks, cars and tourist coaches snaking down the mountain. It was an epic sight.

Despite the rain and slippery road surface, a certain pleasure of motorbiking is be able to overtake hundreds of stationary and slow moving vehicles which are stuck in traffic - made easier by two-way traffic controls a lot of the way down. The weather was also getting warmer and drier as we dropped down to Marrakech.

Late afternoon and we wended our way through the old city to our hotel near the main square; Jemma el-Fnaa. Bikes not looking too mucky considering. IMG_2584.JPG