Morocco march 2016

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by darkhelmetnl, Dec 10, 2015.

1. darkhelmetnl

darkhelmetnl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi fellow adventure riders,

for march i'm planning a trip around Morocco.
    As it looks right now i'll start in Spain around the 5th of march 2016. I'm looking to ship my bike from the Netherlands, where i live, to southern Spain. From there i'll cross over to morocco and ride around.

My idea is to mix it up, bit of tar, bit of pistes, bit of city sightseeing, but the plan is to not plan too much... :)
    It's about adventure, beautiful sceneries and taking my Tenere out to play

Anyone riding around Morocco around that time?
    Any fellow riders up for a trip?
  2. Africa-Rider

Africa-Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, I have just come back, so cannot join unfortunately:-( But why aren't you considering renting a bike there? I just did, found a place stuffed with new BMs, also they provided guided trips, full custom made - even my special no-gluten diet was taken into account. How many days you are going to spend? so I can suggest some itineraries. Cheers
  3. darkhelmetnl

Oddometer:
    Hi africa-rider,
    Shipping is afforable and i have a great bike setup which i'm really keen on trying out. Since i'll be travelling for 3 weeks, renting a bike isn't a cheap option.

I'll be in Morocco for about 19 days. I want to go to merzouga and zagora, Taza, some of the gorges. I've been struggling to find some routes online that use gravel roads. Also Google Maps isn't that usefull. Most routes i can find, take tarred roads. Or go into the dessert close to the border with Algeria.
    I'll probably end up taking a turn once i spot a nice track :)
  4. WheelsofMorocco

WheelsofMorocco n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi darkhelmetnl,
    Feel free to drop me a mail (greg at wheelsofmorocco.ma) when you have an idea of the route you are planning to take and we'll help you out with some ideas. There are great tarmac roads out there and you also have to bear in mind that a road in Morocco (especially in the south and the Atlas) is not necessarily tarmac but sometimes a good and rideable 'piste' or dirt road. What I definitely suggest is to go via Chefchaouen - Fes (if you want to visit cities) - then across the atlas via Ifrane/Azrou (can suggest some great dirt roads there where you won't find anyone but monkeys) - Errachidia - Merzouga (plan at least two nights for camel ride and enduro or quad hire in the dunes) - then the gorges (Todra and Dades) - Ouarzazate (again some good tracks you can try if you stay for 1-2 days there visiting the Fint oasis and hit Benhaddou for example). The you have two options depending on the time you have and what you wish to do. Either cross towards Agadir and then Millets and the white beaches (plages blanches), return via Essaouira on the coastal road, then Oulidia - El Jadida - Casa - Rabat - Moulay Bouselham or Asilah (both are relaxed and beautiful beach locations with not many tourists and no hotels, only guesthouses) - Cap Spartel and then Tanger OR you go through the Atlas on the Tizi n'Tichka pass and then you can still head to Agadir, OR go through to Bin el Ouidane barrage and visit great waterfalls on the way and then head North or get back South towards Marrakech/Agadir/Essaouira. Merzouga is way better than Zagora with more sand and better options. You can cut from Merzouga to Zagora via technical terrain but I reckon the Tenere is a bit heavy (depends of course on your riding skills) but then you have to come back to the Gorges.
    Just let me know if you need help with accommodation tips or any other stuff. If you are around Casa I'd be happy to meet and for a beer and a chat.
    Cheers, Greg
  5. darkhelmetnl

Oddometer:
    Hi Greg,

thanks for you tips! I've send you an email.
  6. WheelsofMorocco

WheelsofMorocco n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Bas,
    Did you receive my mail with the details?
    Cheers,
    Greg
  7. darkhelmetnl

Oddometer:
    Yes i did, sorry i thought i replied already, started typing a message, but never finished it!

Some great tips, thank you!
  8. WheelsofMorocco

WheelsofMorocco n00b

Oddometer:
    Feel free to get back to me if you want to include some more tracks / dirt roads...
    In the meantime, we had image1.JPG (finally, although a bit late) had some precipitation in the North and East of the country. That includes the Atlas and Rif.
    Picture taken today morning in Ifrane. I believe this should be gone by March but look out for updates (or do not hesitate to ask) :)
    Ride safe :)
  9. gulfstreamchris

gulfstreamchris Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Louisiana (South of Houma in the Sugarcane Fields)
    I'll be coming to Morocco end of April on 3 new GSA's. Leaving UK on April 27th via the ferry to Santander then returning back on May 12th. Can't wait for this trip. Still in the planning stages on where we'll be going while there. Looking for as much off road as possible.
  10. WheelsofMorocco

WheelsofMorocco n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, let me know if you need help with the planning or any suggestions. Regardless of how far south you want to go there are off road possibilities everywhere...
  11. Jofr

Jofr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sent you a PM. I'm planning to go somewhere around 20/03 to Marrakesh rent a bike and make a loop south.
  12. WheelsofMorocco

WheelsofMorocco n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, I did not receive the PM yet. Please try to resend. You can rent a bike directly from us as well...
    Cheers,
    Greg
  13. WheelsofMorocco

WheelsofMorocco n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Jofr, I still did not receive the PM. you can get my contacts from the website or write directly in the inbox. Looking forward to hear from you. Feel free to get in touch for bike rental as well. Ours are brand new :)
  14. Rigby

Rigby End of The Line,

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on being in Morocco late this month or April, arriving Spain 21 March, I'm up for some riding and beers! Anyone got insurance info for Europe and Morocco.
  15. WheelsofMorocco

WheelsofMorocco n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Rigby, That would be great. When are you planning to be in Casa? I am travelling from March 26 and then off to Germany from April 9 to 18.
    The contact to Moto Expert is: +212.638.95.74.71 - Aboulkacim
    My number is +212.660.13.43.43
    Cheers,
    Greg
  16. Rigby

Rigby End of The Line,

Oddometer:
    Greg,
    Thanks for the contact info, see you in Morocco.