Moselwein, the Somme, D-Day & Go For Broke

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JMead11, Mar 7, 2014.

1. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    Had a nice dinner out that night too. There is a great restaurant in Urzig that gives you a fantastic view of the Moselle as you eat.....and it is surrounded by vinyards growing the grapes of the very wines you will find on the menu.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
  3. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    I spend a lot of time chasing sunsets and lightning in Tucson where I live, but it is rare I see too much color in the sky in Europe comparatively speaking.....but that night there was enough color in the sky to get me out on the bridge to see what I could get over the Moselle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    I have done, over the years nearly everything there is to do in the town of Trier. But I still would never turn down the chance to even just walk around down there. Besides, my friend needed a ride into town in the car.....so I am not on the bike today, but I drove him into town to get his cast cut off. He had had a small accident dog sledding in the Yukon, and had fractured some stuff in his wrist. He had flown home with it all messed up and now had gotten it set and waited a while.....and now today was the day that thing was going to come off. So while he was going to be in there, I decided I would do a bit of exploration. One of the things I was going to do was something I had never done before. I personally am not that interested in the guy, but Karl Marx is from Trier. His house is a museum, a favorite among Chinese tourists to the area I understand. So, I thought, just to see the place and do something different, I would visit the Karl Marx Haus in Trier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    rockydog likes this.
  5. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
  6. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    So after leaving the Karl Marx Haus, I decided to just wander a bit and see what the sights had to offer and do some people watching....Trier is good for that.....and it was a warm day, so folks were coming out to enjoy the weather....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
  8. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    I decided to take a quick walk through of the Dom just to cool off a bit...it was warm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
  10. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
  11. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    then a quick pass through the Early Gothic Church of Our Lady (Liebfrauen) attached to the Dom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
  13. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    Then I thought I would take a look at the bunker. I would like to eventually be able to go inside and get some pics also....seems I enjoy bunkers a lot as I am always looking to find them, get in them, take some pictures....but just from the outside for this one today.

This bunker was build to protect the civil servants as well as the civilians of Trier during Allied air raids. The bunker can be found at the Augustinerhof next to the town hall, which is the white building you can see in the pictures.
    The building is 38 meters high and was built in 1942. Is camouflaged to fit in the towns historical entity and it is said that the steep roof was constructed this way to deflect the bombs. The bunker cannot be entered, it's now a prop storage for a theater.
    Attached to the bunker is a so called "flachbunker" or flat bunker which has 3 floors, it's empty and fully closed.
    It's not known which of the two bunkers was build first. The bunkers are connected inside as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    A neat sight in Bernkassel, is the pair of iron handcuffs hanging from 2-3 feet of chain, on that salmon colored building on the square. They can be seen in the 3rd & 4th photos. Like the stocks of old New England, miscreants were cuffed & exposed to public scorn for their sins. I have no idea when they were installed, but they've hung there for so long that they have worn grooves in the buildings' cornerstone that are 4-5 inches deep.
  15. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    Yes, very familiar with them....I have posted pics of them in earlier ride reports through there too I think....I should ask if anyone knows how long they have been there....
  16. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    Elvis monster truck in Trier, Germany....

[​IMG]
  17. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    and then it was time to put away the TransAlp...which had carried me so far and allowed to experience so many things....and did it with dependability and economy. Sure it would have been nicer to have something bigger and faster, but this is not necessary the way I went. I was on back roads most of the time, and it was agile and nimble even with all my gear stowed on it. I think it was the perfect tool for this job....and I would always recommend one of these to those that are going to do what I just did on this trip....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
  19. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    a sad note was that this was to be the last time I was to see my friends cat, Mr. Nike. He had been a part of nearly all my visits to their house the last 18 years. It will be strange now not to see him in the house....he was called Nike for the swoosh on his forehead. He was a most interesting charachter as far as cats go too. I know he is missed everyday.

[​IMG]
  20. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    So I go to the airport.....and as I am saying my good-byes to my friend, a bird crashes into the glass windows of the airport, falls onto my shoulder, then the ground and died right there in front of me. This might usually be considered a bad sign when about to board airplanes to fly halfway across our planet.

[​IMG]