Moselwein, the Somme, D-Day & Go For Broke

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JMead11, Mar 7, 2014.

1. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    So yet another one came to an end....I hope you all enjoyed it at least in the pictures.....

[​IMG]
  2. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another great RR, thanks for taking us for a ride!
  3. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:

Glady ou liked it...I have a couple others I need to get done.....but then again I leaving for another trip in a month....I do not even know what I am doing yet, but will be going to Luxembourg City to start with....
  4. DrSmooth

DrSmooth I am third

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to write up this report. I've thoroughly enjoyed each of your ride reports along with all the pictures. Looking forward to your next trip!
  5. jlambo

jlambo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very impressive RR with rich historical value. It's nice to know our country's sacrifices in Europe are remembered and appreciated. Can't wait to spend some time there absorbing these places, your pictures and descriptions convey the gravity of those events well....
  6. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Europeans seem to do better at keeping the memories alive than we do, probably because the events occurred in their backyards. The wars of the last century were "away" wars for us. For Europeans, they were "home games". When our vets are gone, the memories fade. In Europe, the scars are still there in the landscape. There are bullet pock marked walls, overgrown shell craters & trenches, & occasional brutal grey bunkers, still there, to remind new generations. Worse still, hardly a season goes by without some poor farmer or builder killed or maimed by a piece of ordinance from 1944 (or 1917).
  7. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Fantastic as always! I've probably already said this in this report but I spent two years in that part of Germany (actually Bitburg AFB back when it existed) back in 1970-72 and loved it so much. I plan on re-visiting the area in the next few years on my motorcycle. Your reports only make the desire to go there that much stronger.
  8. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    I always think of the great luck it is for teachers over there to be able to actually take their students to such amazing historical sites....places I can only dream of taking my students to.
  9. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:

It is worth every bit of it to do it. But then I have been fortunate to have friends that know me very well there, and that have gone out of their way to make sure I can do these things.
  10. Jim Goose

Jim Goose Bad Ass.

Oddometer:
    Found this thread from your other that was bumped this Memorial Day.

Very, very well done.

I will take note of this for my future trip.

Thanks!
  11. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    Sorry I missed all that....I was off doing another one....yet again.....
  12. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    looks like I won't be doing this anytime soon....I can't get in....
  13. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I’m figuring 2022. I just hope it isn’t too crowded because of the 2 years of no European travel.
  14. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:

2021 is definitely a no go at this point. I am thinking 2022 might be possible, but not holding my breath on that one either at this point. I would not be able to make D-Day at this point anyway, as I will be stuck at work till June 30 due to a late start in the school year Covid. Hard to know what it will look like when they open it up anyway.
    zookster likes this.
  15. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    On this trip I met a guy named TC Colones for the first time. It was not to be the last, he was a big figure in all the D-Day commemorations, and they all called him the Mayor of Normandy. I managed to bump into him quite often in Normandy, and I wondered why it had taken me so long to spend time with him as I did on this trip. He was a news photographer with WSPA in Spartenburg, South Carolina and when he was in front of the camera it was usually because he was doing on story on his greatest passion, our Greatest Generation.

The last time I saw him, at D-Day 2019, he looked very different. A lot of weight had been lost, he did not look like he was doing well. I did not want to ask. But then I found out that September 26, 2020, he had passed away. Big loss for the D-Day community and all those that appreciated him. Really good guy gone too early in his life at only 66.

https://www.floydmortuary.com/obituaries/Thomas-Colones/#!/Obituary

[​IMG]
  16. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Can't "like" that post, sorry to hear of his passing.
    bomose likes this.
  17. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was totally surprised. I know he looked really different last time I saw him with the huge weight loss, but didn't ask him about it. I never thought it was something that would kill him. Normandy will miss him.