Mosko Moto bags does WABDR

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by sideup, Sep 19, 2014.

1. sideup

sideup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife and I rode the WABDR route two weeks ago on our KTM 690's. We left on Tuesday morning and reached the border a 1 pm on Saturday.
    We had pre-ordered our Mosko Moto Pannier Backcountry 35 panniers and our Backcountry 40L duffles. Our time was running short as my wife needed to take her vacation before her busy season started. We were fortunate to be able to plan a week that Pete and Andrew didn't need the Prototypes for a MC event. They were kind enough to let us borrow two sets to complete the Washington Back Country Discovery Route. Maybe a first for the Mosko Bag System.

What a fantastic trip, we are already planning the next BDR.
    We followed the GPS tracks 100% and never led us wrong. We had a Spot , and made friends and family know where we were at. Took all the recommended stuff, no mechanicals, no flats ,no injuries.

The Mosko Gear performed flawlessly and I have to say was the best luggage experience using these new soft panniers bags.

We initially had two Backcountry Duffles , one for my KTM 690 and one for my wife's bike. We were pleasently surprised. We packed what we would have normally packed in our hard panniers and 2 back wolf man bags, maybe even a little more hardware for the bikes. As I packed in the garage I noticed, wow we are not filling up the both back bags and I still had room in the 35L panniers. I decided to see if I could eliminate one back duffle. Except for our 3P Nemo Losi tent (6.5 lb) everything fit. We just strapped the tent on my wife back rack and still had room in some of the panniers. The soft 35L panniers definitely hold more than our hard panniers.

I think Mosko Moto systems best feature is the easy on /off horseshoe shaped nylon plate mounting system. Just a 1/4 turn Aerospace type latch secures the plastic mounting plates, NO Straps needed to secure at all. Straps which typically need adjusted each load day and again as the loads shift on bumpy roads. The Mosko mounting plates were easy to mount to the Rally Raid Racks. The Rally Raid racks mounting areas are fairly low on the sides of the 690 bike. My right and left pannier weighed about 28 and 29 lbs. The 40 liter duffle weighted 21 lbs with sleeping bags, air mattress's , and small inflatable pillows, (can't sleep without, i have tried.) Following each other down all the pot holed roads we could watch each others loads, The loads were rock solid and the RR racks had very little flex on the impacts despite a design not using a rear stabilizer bar. I checked the rack bolts after the second day. I had one top bolt that was loose. I tighten it and it and the rest remained tight for the rest of the week.

Features I really enjoyed about the panniers:
    1) They were very easy to access period. Normally a main waterproof bag can be a pain and time consuming to get into. The one large Fastex top buckle and the two side smaller buckles were easy to use and access the main compartment.
    2) The rear permanently attached pockets I carried items that did not need protected from water, (e.g - Chainlube, Oil, Side stand prop, wet wipes. etc.) Very easy access and secure and no worries about grease getting on the soft goods.
    3) Lastly the mollie pouches . I would purposely show other riders the dromedary bag and water spout opening in the mollie pouch just to show off. :1drink Innovative idea for quickly for washing dust and dirt off your hands and face, cooking water without opening any bags up. Pete said he only used a 2 liter water bag. REI didn't have the 2 liter in stock so I bought a 4 liter. I just filled them about 3 liters and it fit just fine in the Mollie pouch.

The 690 handled very well, with my 9.6 upgraded spring for Slavens. Didn't even notice the bags after the initial round the block test ride.

I found after the first day that I liked to open both ends of the 40 liter duffle to pack it from both ends. That way I didn't have to guess how much to roll the closed end first. I would stuff from both ends and balance the load out and roll up the ends last. The large Beaver Tail or flap serves several purposes I found. The straps that held the duffle on stored very easily under the tail , no worries to roll all the strap ends up and ties , just wad them up stuff them under the beaver tail and buckle the tail up. Also the beaver tail was so useful to stuff the under layers under as the temps came up during the day and then pull back out as we climbed in elevation. This beaver tail is great for storing large or longer items like a fly rod tent poles, etc.

The first day we had a lot of dust and then some rain to finish the day off in Packwood. Everything stayed dry in the waterproof inner bags in the panniers.

Just for future BDR's I took a photo when we got back of what we took so I could see what to eliminate for next time. I tend to overpack, being in Search and Rescue a few years I tend to be conservative, especially when your wife is with you.

Thanks to Pete and Andy at Mosko Moto for letting us use the bags. We should get our bags next week. I saw the production versions when I returned the prototypes. The production bags look even better than the protos.

Check them out if you are considering panniers , back duffles and rack-less system. They have innovations you just will not see on other motorcycle luggage systems and the prices might pleasantly surprise you. "Soft Bags for Hard Travel" http://www.moskomoto.com/gear.html

Passed about 11 riders going North to South. Two guys from UK on BMW F800s , guys from Switzerland , and Canada. No other women though. On the slog back to Stevenson on the pavement Becky said this is boring now. I am a lucky man, I know.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Wdwrkr

Wdwrkr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great review. Thank you.. These are
    Going to the top of my wish list. They are pricey, but look to be worth every penny
  3. sideup

sideup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just received my production bags last week. You will not be sorry. You know with all the features: quick release system, no straps over the seat, accessory pouches, wet item , quick access storage they are more like a hard pannier system with all the advantages of the soft bag system. (Damage resistance, safer for footing, etc.)
    Other customers are receiving their gear and are posting great comments on the vendor forum.
    Mosko Moto has raised the bar and I am so happy for Pete and Andrew.
  4. sideup

sideup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The guys at Mosko Moto are starting the design of their Tank Bag. As they have done on all their products they are using feedback from AdvRider forum members to research what riders want. Attached is the post you can follow to their Vendor thread to give them your wants and input.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25822849&postcount=1424
  5. Choby

Choby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had my bags for 2 years now and they are awesome, tons of room etc. going to do the WABDR in 2 weeks today