Mosko Moto Soft Bags for Offroad & Dualsport

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Sideoff, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Sideoff

Sideoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah man, right on, well-put. We're concerned about the same issue. Our plan is to order only a small amount in color, like maybe 1/3rd of the total order, and then to hopefully split that amount over two different colors, IF we can make this work with our fabric MOQs, which is kind of a big 'if.' So hopefully we'd order less than the total demand for each color, and for sure sell out of the colors before we sell out of the neutral grey. Making this work with factory/mill MOQs is a challenge though.
  2. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the panniers and they look good in the color scheme you already have. You could just stay with it as the product seems to be a big hit as is. Speaking of that, I need to order a 35 pannier to do the balancing thing with my 25's.

One more thing Pete... I have Jesse racks on one of my bikes and it's a F800GS from 2010 and not sure if your BMW mod/adaptor will fit or not. I see that Jesse now has a soft bag adaptor but it doesn't look like it would work with your mounting system. Any comment on that?
    D-Train likes this.
  3. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    I saw a friends R40 in person yesterday and I really like it. Just like the other Mosko products I own (25L Scouts & 30L Backcountry Duffel), the workmanship and design is top notch. I think I'll eventually get an R80 for myself and an R40 for my wife for our DS bikes. She packs much better than me. haha.

As for colors, I could see yellow or orange dry bags, but it really wouldn't affect me either way.
    D-Train likes this.
  4. Lumitalo

Lumitalo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Our BMW adaptors should work for your F800, but to confirm could you send pictures and (as best as possible) a measurement from the top bar of the rack to the bottom bar on the horizontal plane (the "offset" measurement)? If you want to use the Jesse soft rack with our bags then the frame and wedge would need to be removed from the bag to make it fit.

To email our customer service go to our contact page on our website....

http://mosko-moto.myshopify.com/pages/contact
  5. D-Train

D-Train Dusty Wessels

Oddometer:
    Also, to add to what Lumitalo (Lee) is saying, here is a blog post from Pete when he went to the KTM rally. If you scroll through here you can see some pics of the BMW adapter on Jesse racks...

http://moskomoto.com/blogs/mosko-mo...ested-butte-cobdr-horizons-unlimited-yosemite
    BoxerDoc likes this.
  6. Sideoff

Sideoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just talked to Tiffany and it sounds like you guys are already in communication on this order. The shipment went out last week but we sent the wrong tracking number. Sorry about that!
  7. Sideoff

Sideoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm headed to China next week to meet with the welding factory that's working on our new Reckless 80 drybags. The factory is located in Eastern China, near the coast, just across the water from Taiwan. I haven't been to this part of China before, so that's kind of cool. After that I'm meeting with our sewing factory in Vietnam for a couple days, then back to the gorge.

[​IMG]

If you're not familiar with the term 'welding' as it applies to bags, this means radio frequency (RF) welding, where two 'weldable' fabrics - generally PVC or PU - are joined through a combination of heat and pressure. This results in a completely water and airtight seal, like on a zodiac raft, or a thermarest. This is contrasted to sewn seams, where the sewing needle leaves a trail of small holes in the material.

Welded Seams

[​IMG]

Sewn Seams

[​IMG]

Working with this new welding factory, we realized that there's an opportunity to create an assortment of Mosko Moto drybags, possibly even in time for the 2016 riding season depending on how this visit goes. I'm using the term 'drybags' here to refer to the large variety of single-layer, welded seam bags that you see most commonly in kayaking/canoeing, but which many companies have adapted to motorsports. Here are a few examples:

Roll Top Duffle Style

[​IMG]

Kayak Deck Bag Style

[​IMG]

Simple Drybag Style

[​IMG]

This is a crowded category. Almost every single moto luggage company offers a drybag assortment, and most are good quality, although the feature differences between them are pretty small. They're mostly either roll-top duffles or simple drybags, with tie-downs and/or pass-throughs to connect to the bike, and a handle or shoulder strap for off-bike carry. Adding features with welding is a little more complicated and expensive than it is with sewing, and everyone who makes welded bags faces about the same material/production costs. As a result, lots of welded drybags end up looking similar.

Our pricing model can support a higher FOB cost (ie factory cost, as explained in our post on pricing from a few weeks back) so hopefully we'll have the flexibility to create a differentiated and/or more interesting product than what's already out there. We don't totally understand the economics of welded bags yet (for example, molding costs) which is part of the purpose of this trip. I'd like to arrive at the factory with a whole bunch of ideas, and then we can see what can realistically be accomplished in the time we have. If necessary I can stay in Asia through the holidays to work on this.

For inspiration, we're looking to kayak/canoe drybags and backpacking drybags. Here's a few bags that caught our eye:

• Cool deck bag. Like the clear map pocket, bottle holder, and compression features. This company, Watershed, makes some really cool bags.
    [​IMG]

• Like the big external mesh pocket for wet/dry stuff.
    [​IMG]

• Like the pole holder on this one, for tent poles, or camp chair.
    [​IMG]

• A beavertail.
    [​IMG]

• Another cool beavertail. This one also has a way to separate the main compartment into two.
    [​IMG]

• Lots of mesh external storage & bottle holsters on the side.
    [​IMG]

• MOLLE webbing
    [​IMG]

• Stretchy front pocket for wet/dry stuff, and the dual bottle holders.
    [​IMG]

We'd love your opinion. If we can do something cool for the 2016 riding season, it will happen in the next few weeks, so this is our development window right now. Please post any ideas here on advrider (as opposed to on the blog/facebook) so we can keep everything in a central location.

A couple things to think about

• What features would you like to see in a moto drybag?
    • What's your favorite drybag to use for moto (even if it was designed for a different sport) and why?
    Thanks for the color feedback last week. We tallied the responses below. Orange was the clear winner. Camo, sand/tan, and pink unicorn were all new suggestions.

Orange 16
    Blue 9
    Red 9
    Yellow 9
    Green 2
    Camo 2
    Sand/Tan 2
    Pink Unicorn 1
    Scooby1 likes this.
  8. davidw7638

davidw7638 n00b

Oddometer:
    Dry bag - add a beaver tail, not interested in multi compartments I use stuff sacks for separation, orange color, needs to be seen, add tie down hooks so it can attached easily, molle not needed on dry bag, must have backpack harness with breathable back pad and waist belt. I would like to use dry bag as a backpack for simple trips off the bike. A simple sleeve for a hydration bladder would be nice.
    D-Train likes this.
  9. Vampir

Vampir Aimless Wanderer

Oddometer:
    While you are looking at interesting dry bag features, you might look at a recent bag that caught my eye as it had something I've never seen before... A clear window that allows you to see what's inside. It is from Simms the fly fishing company. Here is the link:

http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/bags/dry-creek-roll-top-bag-1.html

I'm not 100% sure of the application for motos, but it was interesting enough that I stopped and took a good long look at it. I could see it doing two things. Allowing thieves the ability to see what you've got hidden in there but more importantly, allowing me to see where something is rather than having to dig everything out and claw around in there endlessly looking for something.
    D-Train likes this.
  10. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Personally, I would rather see you focus on existing products under development than to expand your product line at this time. Specifically, your tank bag and clothing lines. I appreciate that dry bags may be a "quick kill" but as you already noted it is a crowded market and may prove to be a marginally profitable distraction. Even assuming your dry bag is cheaper, I'd rather use a Backcountry Duffel because it already does everything I want a dry bag to do and more. Maybe this would be a good time to review your business processes, customer service, and so on, rather than expanding your product line. That said, if you do pursue the dry bag line, I love the beaver tail concept. I'd also like to see some small, waterproof external pockets. Something along the lines of the Watershed kayak bag would make a cool tank bag. Look forward to seeing what you guys come up with.
  11. AZmike

AZmike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    • I recently purchased a first gear torrent bag. I liked the roll seal top rather than the stuff from one end style. I find it is more convenient to load and access the gear in this configuration ( I have two traditional water sport duffles as well ). Having several tie down rings makes it easy to mount them. I don't think the small zipper compartment has much use ( at least for me ).
    • I often carry a collapsible cooler on top of the duffle. I use a mesh net over the cooler and typically attach to the duffle and bike rack. It would be cool if the duffle was designed with this mesh and a strap to accommodate a cooler.
    good luck on your design and China trip.

• [​IMG]
    BlueLghtning likes this.
  12. alshaffer

alshaffer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on this recommendation. The potential for new items in your catalog is enticing, but I'd just like to see your R80 back in stock. Looking forward to adding it to my 1290SA kit!
  13. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1. I like the top load design for moto use. A bigger opening is easier to use than a smaller opening, which is the main problem with the Dryspec rigid 39 L bag. If you add external pockets make them useable. Most, as AZmike noted, are too small and tight to be useful, plus the zippers tend to leak.
    D-Train likes this.
  14. jowul

jowul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the Touratech top loading dry bag/duffle as seen on this photo:

[​IMG]

I personally prefer top loading and find that it is easier to pack (sleeping bag, tent, pad, cooking stuff and chair). But I wanted to get away from this type of packing and use your BC panniers (or Reckless 80 if it drapes properly over my OEM racks) and 30 Liter duffle. So, not sure what the dry bag would be used for. Initially I thought you were talking about the welded dry bags going into the panniers or the Reckless. By the way, that is the color Sand I had mentioned.
    D-Train likes this.
  15. jackrabbit56

jackrabbit56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yamaha blue would be sweet!
  16. chrishunt

chrishunt getting a sunburn

Oddometer:
    My favorite dry bag is the Sea to Summit Compression Dry Sack. It's light, durable, and vents air when sealed. This bag is amazing.

The current dry bags on the Reckless 80L are very stiff (even with a lot of use) and I think this stiffness hurts the durability. Every time I roll the bags down, they crease in the same locations and those creases eventually crack. The cracks eventually turn into holes. I've gone through two sets of dry bags since September because of this issue.

The most important thing to me for a new dry bag is durability.

Thanks for all your hard work!

mosko.jpg
  17. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    +1 Chris. I have more dry bags than I can count from past years of kayaking, waterfowl hunting and boating/fishing.

The more pliable the material the longer they seem to last. Simply look at the material Hilleberg tents utilizes. None better in the world, tents/material.
    D-Train likes this.
  18. seanpaulpizza

seanpaulpizza Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody in the Twin Cities MN area have the Mosko R40 or R80? First time buying moto luggage and I just can't get a feel for the size of this stuff without seeing it in person. Pretty much sold on Mosko soft luggage based on all the great feedback here, but can't decide if the R40 will do or if I should wait for the R80. Mostly doing long weekends on a WR250R, but I'm not yet a very light packer...
  19. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree that the reckless bags need new dry bags. Mine are forming little pin holes along the creases
    D-Train likes this.
  20. Wdwrkr

Wdwrkr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been following this thread almost daily from it's inception, and love my Mosko kit. In fact I plan to add two 30l duffles to it as I run touratech hard bags for two up travel, as I tend to stay on much calmer trails two up, and mama prefers the hard bags.. (I know I know, but if mama ain't happy...). My two cents on the more recent questions from HQ are

1. Stick with the original color scheme. There is a lot to be said for a product having an identity. When someone sees your bags you want them to instantly know they are Mosko's at first sight. Somewhere down the road this pays dividends. Look at your competitor Wolfman, when you see that yellow stitching you instantly know what they are. There is a lot to be said for that, and it will lead to sales down the road. If you feel your color choices have cost you sales, well that is a whole different conversation, but from what I gleam inventory cost you more sale then color. Do what you do and do it well I was always told you are already succeeding at that

2. Focus on the products in the pipeline IE the tank Bag and Clothing. I'm likely buying a tank bag the day it becomes available, assuming the design is good, and you design it to be movable from the tank to the duffle via Mollie's (tank bags get in the way when things get gnarly) There might be a big opening in the clothing segment with Polaris purchase of Klim. I love my Klim gear but when big business gets involved things change. I'm sure I'm not the only person watching to see if Klim stays the course they have long since set, or become a mass production company with little customer support. These are area's where you have a solid interest. You are already ahead of the pack in bag design, let that end drive the others. It will fund the infancy of the new items for which you have interested buyers waiting. If you hit those out of the park you'll have time to worry about fancy new dry bags, for which I think there is a much more limited market.

3. Since I'm telling you how to run a business which is a. none of my business, and b. doing quite well with out my input I will suggest that in all the pages of this thread the most common complaint I see is not your products. We seem to love those. It's communication with the customer, wether that is shipping info, or customer support. If there was an area which seems to need your focus this is where I'd put it in the short term. Your customer service is outstanding regarding repairs, replacement etc, but inmates seem to grow frustrated in getting info regarding their purchase. Dusty steps up often and does a good job, but perhaps adding a couple more people in the inner circle would help. This has not been my experience, but my observation, and if I had a question I'd call Dusty on his cell phone.

just my 2 cents, hope I've offended no-one.. Merry Christmas