Mosko Moto Soft Bags for Offroad & Dualsport

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Sideoff, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Sideoff

Sideoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this detailed review! Much appreciated. Especially the suggestions of:

- More external storage
    - Velcro on the opening

Any other areas we could improve on with these?
  2. Sideoff

Sideoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    We hear this message loud and clear on the mounting system. We have a solution in development right now that is so, so cool. I'm really excited about it. It'll be totally bomber construction and really easy on/off, plus will fit any existing rack. I just want to get it a little further along in development before committing to it.

For size: we want to design a bag for riders who are doing multi day/week/month offroad trips in the backcountry using relatively lightweight camping gear (i.e. tent/stove/bag/pad). With that in mind, we'll also feature a roll top, expandable external storage, and compression so the bags can be adapted for shorter/longer trips with more/less gear. We thought the 50l size would be a good midrange, while recognizing that no one size is going to be absolutely perfect for all riders. If it looks a little big on a small bike and a little small on a big bike, then we're probably in the right zone. The external storage is going to make a big difference I think.
    Wake up call and TwoWheelShaman like this.
  3. Sideoff

Sideoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool idea! Thanks so much for the detailed illustrations. I'll talk to andrew about this today, he has a really good instinct for what will/won't work with bag compression, and also the molding/manufacturing questions. Our current proto uses stiffeners on the front and back with foam inserts on the side, and it seems to be holding its shape exceptionally well when empty while still compressing smoothly and cleanly, which is good news.

Your finders fee proposal is accepted if we go this route :rofl. thanks for the unique idea!!
    TwoWheelShaman likes this.
  4. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    Great! Watching this with interest.
  5. btao

btao RIP Lilolita

Oddometer:
    Cool, cool. Yea, the external storage would be great, and modularity is also great, but will test the construction to keep it water tight.

So, another suggestion for the brain pool: How many owners of any bag, any at all, that have to give a wonder of what to do with all the extra strap lengths that are left over. You can go the clip route like Wolfman for a clean look, but it's sometimes a pain, especially if it's cold, rainy and you're wearing say, motorcycle gloves to try to slide all 4 cinch straps in those little slide clips... Why couldn't there be a patch of Industrial Velcro or Velcro Dual-Lock sewn to the end of the straps and then a few strategic Velcro patches added to the bag so when you are loading all your gear in the rain, you can zip... zip the cincher straps and then just stick it to the side of the bag and never worry about them flapping in the breeze?

You could test the mud retention of the velcros to see what would work best where.
  6. 01001010 01000011

01001010 01000011 AKA-JC

Oddometer:
    Lots of good ides here but IMO perhaps you are thinking to hard.

Currently I am working on my own new softbags bags.

Take a look at how the old Med. Alice pack mounts to its frame.
    Also check out the Gossamer Gear G-4 pack and how the "frame"
    mounts to it.

IMO a real plus for a softpack would be removable shoulder straps.

Currently I am using my old packer panniers I used with my 4legged
    horse.

Cinching down, reducing pack volume is easy think how your shoes lace
    and just add a few open rings to an outside seam as backpacks do, pull one
    cord, done.
  7. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Velcro bad, I hate velcro, it catches on everything and ends up ripping it or scratching your hands, which, in the winter time, can be painful.

If you will utilize velro, have it in a place where it would not come into contact with the items stored in the bag or your hands.
  8. 01001010 01000011

01001010 01000011 AKA-JC

Oddometer:
    Hate zippers, they get full of mud and fail.
  9. PhiSig1071

PhiSig1071 What's ******width?

Oddometer:
    Just a thought, I know there are a few guys on here who make custom racks too (I am waiting to order a set of the Jackpiner57 racks for my DRZE). Have you thought about collaborating directly with one of them in order to possibly market your bags as a kit with racks specifically designed for the bags and the quick release system you come up with?

JackPiner makes some awesome stuff, I really like his because he has racks specifically for the DRZE model (no need for an s-model subframe in order to carry luggage) but his stuff is a little more limited in application, I think he only makes it for the DRZ, DR and KLR. But I have seen in the vendors forum there are guys who market racks for any application.
  10. HaChayalBoded

Oddometer:
    Velcro wouldn't really last.

C clips on the ends of the straps clipped to the original strap. In addition a rectangular clip towards the front, near the buckle which you would then slide back towards the rear would stop any loose straps from flapping.

Pretty much a combo of the Ortlieb c clip system and the standard strap keeper system.

I personally use web dominators.
  11. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    +1 on no Velcro. I'd does not last and clogs up easily with dirt and mud making it useless.
  12. btao

btao RIP Lilolita

Oddometer:
    So, what about the Dual lock? Are you familiar with it? There is no fuzzy stuff and has a very strong hold. The idea was something easy enough to do with mittens on.

I agree the fuzzy velcro can get clogged, but my limited experience would suggest the Dual Lock variety.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vel...QTtzYDwAw&sqi=2&ved=0CG0QsAQ&biw=1536&bih=872
  13. btao

btao RIP Lilolita

Oddometer:
    You must be a military guy. I've never seen those in any local stores. They are a little better than the clips they are replacing because you can fold up the excess, if there is a lot.

I think there is a lot to the modular military designs which have been field tested. I just don't know much about it. Can you link some pictures to what you're talking about?

Velcro is also a cost reducer, although some of those clips, even the pinch clips can be had in bulk for about a nickel a piece.
  14. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    And pull out a screw driver everytime you access? No thanks. Keeping extraneous straps to a minimum is great and your original idea is great other than the velcro. I Really think the Wolfman system is the best compromise for dealing with straps to a rack. It's very clean, secure and leaves nothing dangling.
  15. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    I've never seen dual lock used on fabric before.
  16. btao

btao RIP Lilolita

Oddometer:
    I've seen it once. It works best on flat to flat because it actually snaps together. It's cool stuff. You can't just throw it at it and have it stick though, you need to press them together. So, it would be best against a firm backing.
  17. btao

btao RIP Lilolita

Oddometer:
    I agree. The wolfman system is hard to beat. I'm nitpicking with the danglies. With Wolfman's hard backing the dual lock would work.

Really, it should just be designed to eliminate excess....
  18. HaChayalBoded

Oddometer:
    Velcro may be an initial cost reducer yes, but once it wears out, and on an off road machine is fairly quickly, you're screwed unless you have a sewing machine.

I mainly use the web dominators to store rok straps neatly in a tank or saddlebags or when carrying a small load and taking up slack.

Here is a pic of a web dominator and how to use it, but there are dozens of other, cheaper types of clips and buckles to deal with excess webbing.

[​IMG]
  19. HaChayalBoded

Oddometer:
    Whats the screwdriver for?
  20. HaChayalBoded

Oddometer:
    You'd have to use fabric glue, but even that I can't see lasting. Ever see what happened to the old style method of bonding superfabric to certain jackets? They came off after a few heavy rains.