Mosko Moto Soft Bags for Offroad & Dualsport

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Sideoff, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is one of the reasons I live my r80
    Find a spot to camp
    Setup camp
    I pull the dry bags out and ride to town with just the saddle
    Perfect for beer and groceries
    MtnRubi and D-Train like this.
  2. aequitas3

aequitas3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone in the SF Bay Area that I can see the R80 in person on a 690 OR can borrow 30 minutes of your time to sling it up on my bike to see how it fits? I'd like to compare it in person since I am borrowing an R40 for the next week to see how my gear fits and how much room I have.
  3. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think you mentioned you bicycle tour and your volume sweet spot is 50-60L. FWIW I also do some bicycle touring and my volume sweet spot for that is half that or 25-30L. I do use R40s but feel they're a tight fit even for my minimalist rig. Packed gear/volume for bicycling and ADVtouring is very similar, esp in that you usually don't need to carry more than a couple days food, but for me, the moto uses a bit more space in tools/fuel/tube.

I'm with gunnerbuck here - in warm weather I try to leave my R40 beaver tail empty like leaving the rack top open on a bicycle - at the end of the day, it's nice place to hall groceries, extra water (wild camping), beer, firewood, etc to your campsite. In tourist mode, I lock/strap my riding jacket/suit there for short distances between attractions in town. The CoG is as low as possible when the beaver tail is empty. In colder weather, or trips to Bike Rally's, it's my expansion space for a heavier sleeping quilt, extra clothing layers, and campsite luxuries like a chair.

The R40 space is a little awkward to use with a bunch of long narrow tubes - fine with stuffing smaller items, but larger items tends to waste space if it doesn't fit perfectly, and sometimes not at all. IMHO larger duffles used in the R40 beaver tail seems a bit counterproductive - top heavy, looks odd, and you almost might as well save money and just strap a giant duffle on the back.

If in the 40+L range, I'd personally go with an R80 and underpack/cinch it.... or better yet get into ultra-light camping gear, down to ~30L, and then go R40.

Just my $0.02
  4. zknezo

zknezo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the timeline look like for the BC35 v3.0s you guys mentioned back in July?
    D-Train likes this.
  5. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Andrew, nice to see you again at the Vancouver MC show. Hopefully see you next week to pick up a tent pole bag.

I got a deal on a Nomad that was tried on a bike, but never used. So glad I finally got this bag and it will work nicely on my KTM 640 Adventure! Mounting/removal is so much easier than my old bag and the Nomad is much better for organizing all my crap!

Cheers
    D-Train likes this.
  6. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I'm trying to hold off to get the new smaller tank bag,but it's getting harder and harder.

☮️
  7. D-Train

D-Train Dusty Wessels

Oddometer:
    Here is the link to the last blog post talking about possible revisions to the BC 35's. We'll know more about the specific progress of this as 2018 continues. I would think Pete saying 2018/2019 would most likely be late 2018 and early to spring 2019. Can't wait to see what the new revisions bring! These bags are already bad ass!
  8. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What size pouches are these?
  9. marcin_gda2

marcin_gda2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are 2L (SM) Molle pouches
  10. aequitas3

aequitas3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bump to see if there is anyone free this weekend.
  11. Dirty Sailor

Dirty Sailor Weekend Warrior

Oddometer:

Good info, thanks
  12. VSTR

VSTR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Too many posts...I have an F800GSA with factory TT racks. I can't decide between the Scout 25 set up and a BC30L duffle; or a Reckless 80 (likely would still buy the BC30L anyway). I would use for weekend trips, camping, the odd 4 - 5 day trip. What I don't like about the Scout set up is how the bags/ rack system does not account for an asymmetric shape with the muffler on one side. The R80 seems to flair out as well as the F800GSA has a wide ass. I have seen a few reverse the legs and that seems to work well. Also, hard to find photos with the F800GSA from the rear on here. If you have one, please post.
  13. FarmerKeith

FarmerKeith Anything with wheels...

Oddometer:
    I would go with the scouts if for no other reason than you wouldn’t have to shift the bags to refuel.
    KayDubbya likes this.
  14. Guoseph

Guoseph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a V1 R80, in Alameda 94501
  15. Ayada

Ayada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got the reckless 80 and a f800gsa. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love the bags but I always wonder if I would of been better off with the panniers.
    You are right in that it does kind of flare out on the sides thanks to the super wide gas tank. Additionally, it does get a bit tiring having to undo a strap and pushing the bags out of the way to fill up the gas tank. It's doable but adds another two to three minutes to each gas visit as you have to cinch everything down and do a quick check that the bags are still centered and secure.

Some people swap the sides of the R80 on the F800, I tried it and it didn't seem like it fit any better. And with the rear bags now pressing their contents (tools + MSR fuel tanks) on the rear of my legs I decided it was better to put it back into it's standard way.

I don't have any pictures on this computer but I could have swore I had some on my home laptop. I'll update this post if I find any of the rear.
    Shaun Pekrul and D-Train like this.
  16. dunc289

dunc289 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many thanks to pranajerni for this.
    I also thought they were reversed, although I feel pretty stupid for missing such a logical solution.

Mosko Moto, you may want to call this out somewhere obvious.
    Wasn't that bad though. I'm still stoked with the R80
    pranajerni and D-Train like this.
  17. VSTR

VSTR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ended up buying the Scout 25's, BC duffel 30, Nomad, and a 60L duffel , the 60L intended to pack all camp gear in one place. Plus, I like the top load design. What swayed me was knowing they are doing a redesign of the R80 later next year, I get the sense that they are addressing the width issue for the bigger ADV bikes. The way that the R80 is currently just seems like a PITA to deal with gas tank access, load and off load. Looking forward to see the R80 V3. Also, looking forward to seeing their ADV wearable gear - which appears to be moving at a slow glacial pace...
    phreakingeek, D-Train and FarmerKeith like this.
  18. Sideoff

Sideoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi All!

I'm posting from the rooftop deck at Kurt & Martha's (from Black Dog Cycle Works) house near Mulege, Baja, Mexico, which does not suck! We stopped here for a few days on our way south through Baja to rest, clean up, and catch up on work, blog, etc.

[​IMG]

New Shop/Old Shop

We used the Christmas holiday to relocate Mosko from our original 600 square foot shop to a new 1,000 square foot shop down the street. With six people and at least 4-5 bikes, the old shop was getting pretty cramped.

First we had to paint and put in new floors. Huge thanks to Tiffany's husband Martin for all the work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then furniture, which was a major assembly job in it's own right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, decorations. We put up a post on FB requesting stickers, and got an amazing response! We're going cover a lot of the new shop with these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everyone is now relocated and operational in the new shop. It's nice to finally have room to breathe. We'll miss the old shop, with it's wood burning stove, but it's not going away. Ash and I took over that lease personally, and we'll be using it for extra storage and projects going forward. Projects like... getting our bikes ready for Baja!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just got a new bike, a 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R. This is my first new ADV bike since I bought my KTM Super Enduro in 2009. Very stoked. I immediately set it up with Black Dog Cycleworks pegs and crash plates, Rally Raid Evo 2 Tanks, Cyclops lights, and a Seat Concepts seat.

Riding Apparel

We were really excited to get these boxes from our apparel factory, which contain 16 size sets of the new Basilisk riding kit.

[​IMG]

Right out of the box, everything looks great. Jacket, pants, rain kit. We already had the belts, jerseys, and base layers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We also got several sets of the Forcefield Adventure Harness (upper body protection) and Limb Tubes (knee protection), which we'll be selling along with the jacket/pant. This is by far my favorite body armor on the market.

[​IMG]

There were a few issues we noticed after playing with the gear a bit. First, the zipper closures are not waterproof. These samples were made individually in the sample room and the zipper closures are not the same one we'll use in production.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the meantime, for the samples we have, we filled the zipper gaps with a waterproof sealant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second issue was with regards to the size 'small,' which, due to a typo in the specs, came in WAY too small. Which is a bummer, because Ash was looking forward to wearing the pants on our Baja trip. Here's a pic of Lee trying on the size small.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aside from that, the gear looks really, really good. We've been riding with it for two weeks now in Baja and we have a long list of revisions, but they're all pretty minor, mostly related to sizing not features or materials. I'll have a lot more feedback when we get back from this trip.

Love the new hand-drawn label artwork. Thanks Dan Cox!

[​IMG]

Baja Trip

Ash & I are in Conception Bay at the moment, working our way south through Baja. We originally planned to do a one-way trip to Guatemala but we've been wandering around and taking our time, plus there were some issues with bike shipping and flights from Guatemala (like, the price), so now we're just meandering through Baja and returning via the mainland next week. We're testing the new apparel, and also traveling with the Backcountry 35 Panniers and Backcountry 30 Duffle, in anticipation of continued brainstorming for an eventual version 3.0.

Man, adjusting the rear preload on a new KTM 690 is not easy. My brand new shock locked up the first time I tried to adjust it. Huge thanks to M&M Offroad in El Cajon, CA for helping me get it unstuck and back on the road same-day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We started our trip in Borrego Springs, CA staying with our good friends Jonathon & Carla.

[​IMG]

Stopped to say 'hi' to the one and only Coco @ Coco's Corner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found some really cool unmarked cave paintings thanks to local advice and a hand-drawn map.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tried homemade caramel, a first for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took some 'diving lessons.'

[​IMG]

And crossed a lot of rivers.

[​IMG]

We ran into the legendary Troy Lee of Troy Lee Designs, riding through Baja with his buddies. Check out his awesome custom Baja helmet.

[​IMG]

Ash and I brought a compact spear fishing kit on this trip. That has worked out even better than we expected. With 6" travel fins, rocks as dive weights, and a three-piece 6' pole spear, we find dinner everywhere we stop. Using the bikes to access out-of-the-way points and beaches for spearing has been awesome.

[​IMG]

If anyone else is interested in spear fishing on a moto trip, here's the gear we're carrying.

We'll stay here in Conception Bay a couple more nights, then continue south to La Paz. From there we'll cross to the Mainland by ferry and return to the States via Copper Canyon. That's the plan anyway, still subject to change. We'll be home for a few days in mid-February, then we're headed to the Netherlands for the Utrecht moto show, and to look for a European fulfillment center. After that, probably another trip to Bangladesh.

For now: more Baja!!
  19. dunc289

dunc289 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful. And nice gear.
    But when are you planning on inventing the Mosko Molle Surfboard rack?
  20. MtnRider

MtnRider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now that's an awesome update. Gotta love the small companies helping one another out.

Hopefully the riding apparel will get resolved and to market :clap