Mosko Moto Soft Bags for Offroad & Dualsport

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Sideoff, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Sclodion

Sclodion n00b

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried carrying a full rotopax 1gal in the beavertail of a BC35 pannier? I saw a shot somewhere in this thread of one in stored the beavertail of the BMW version of the bags, but no idea if it was a realistic method to carry, especially off road.
  2. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bad idea to carry that much weight so far out from the centerline. Even if it's possible, it's just not a good idea to do so.
    D-Train likes this.
  3. D-Train

D-Train Dusty Wessels

Oddometer:
    msamsen likes this.
  4. D-Train

D-Train Dusty Wessels

Oddometer:
    +1 on this. I have carried some heavier stuff in the beaver tails for a short distance and it held up fine. As extensively as I have used these bags, I wouldn't recommend a Rotopax be carried there...
    cug likes this.
  5. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

As I get ready for a slow push to Ushuaia, I opted for the Mosko 35L Backcountry Panniers and the 40L Duffle. I am very impressed with the quality and ease of use!
  6. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Okay, I got the Nomad mounted up on the Triumph Explorer XRX 1200. The original rear straps were too short from trimming them to fit the F800GS. So I used some 5/8 ROK straps. I still have some adjusting to do and would like have the 1" straps but its what I have right now. [​IMG]
    ScooterNoMore and Steve G. like this.
  7. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

i just ordered a Nomad tank bag. Does it come with the map holder shown in your pic as standard?
  8. Traxx

Oddometer:
    I believe it did when I ordered it. I would have to look at the invoice.
  9. ssevy

ssevy retired and riding the backroads

Oddometer:
    Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve G. likes this.
  10. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just plain ol 1” straps was the best rear mounting system for me. Never did use the MM rear Velcro mount system. I always was able to find 2 screws or you could sew a loop on the strap and do frame tube mount
    Traxx likes this.
  11. Traxx

Oddometer:
    I kinda like the elastic ROK straps. I am going to see about doing something with them on the front straps as well. Main reason being that the Nomad covers the gas tank lid, and I want to be able to fill up with gas with min muss and fuss.
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  12. rwg65

rwg65 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    my 35L back country panniers just arrived today!
    Bravo to everyone at Mosko Moto, ive worked with some good gear during 30 years in the fire service and your stuff is top notch IMHO. can't wait to use em!
    Also I am not gonna buy another crappy tarp so ill just wait for the Mosko Moto rainfly/sunshade to be developed (your'e welcome:-)) Thanks for the quality gear and congrats on the success of a great idea.
  13. jojojones

jojojones Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    without the racks using the r80 and with some "modifications" the rear can be less wide than the handlebars.
    ScooterNoMore, jules083 and D-Train like this.
  14. Sideoff

Sideoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ash and I are currently in the air over Hudson Bay, headed to the Netherlands for the Utrecht Motorcycle Show.

[​IMG]

Our buddy Roel has been working a number of European shows for Mosko this winter. Andrew flew over to the UK to help him at the Birmingham show a few months ago, but this will be the first European show Ash and I have attended personally. We're coming not only to help staff the show, but also to evaluate ways that we can expand our business in Europe.

The high European VAT rates and overseas shipping costs, plus the hassle of having to get product through customs, has caused some frustration for riders in Europe. Initially we considered selling through distributors, but with the added distributor margin plus VAT, the final retail price would be insanely high. We're going to be looking for a creative way to sell direct-to-consumer overseas, hopefully at prices no higher than what we charge in the US. At a minimum, we'll need fiscal representation in the EU - that, or we'll have to setup our own subsidiary - and find a local solution for storing and distributing inventory.

Ash and I returned from Baja last week with a long list of notes on all the bags and apparel we used on the trip, which we reviewed with the rest of the team in a fun and productive development meeting that lasted pretty much all day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Backcountry 35L Pannier Update

The first bag on our agenda is the Backcountry 35 pannier. We need your input and ideas! If you have any gripes with the current design, please share. Here are some of the revisions we're already considering.

1: Making the panniers symmetrical (no right/left side)

2: Changing the rear pocket from sewn-on to bolt-on with a removable drybag. The harness without the drybag can fit a Fatty Tool Roll or a 2L Dromedary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3: A locking latch, either with a key lock, or with a special tool-handle that can be removed (which would actually be a torx head or something like that, in case you lose it).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4: A new way to lock the bag closed, probably with a cinching cable combination lock that loops back and forth over the roll-top through metal d-rings that are riveted to the bag, like in the pic below.

[​IMG]

In this pic, the black webbing would be a sliding cable lock.

[​IMG]

5: Adding some cut-proof cable around the inside of the liner. We get a lot of questions like 'what if someone cuts into the bag.' It's actually very difficult to cut into the current version of the BC35, but by adding this cable around the outside of the liner, it would be nearly impossible. The front and rear of the bag are already protected by hard panels, so it's only the sides and bottom that could benefit from added protection.

[​IMG]

6: We're considering reintroducing a 25L version of the Backcountry pannier, to provide a second size option, and also to enable offset kits for riders with asymmetrical pannier racks.

7: We're also considering some different color options. Historically this has been a challenge because of high fabric order quantities, and the last time we tried to introduce colors a few years ago, our orders weren't big enough. I think we'll have better luck this time.

We're very interested to hear more feedback from riders who currently have this system. We have a small window right now, before we start working on the next round of samples, to implement revisions. Please: chime in!

KTM 690 Owners: Nomad Tank Bag

I made a small change to my Nomad so it fits better on the KTM 690. By cutting a half-circle out of the top of the mounting harness, I was able to push it an extra inch or so forward on the bike, up around the ignition key. With this small change, the bag fits absolutely perfect with either Rally Raid Evo2 tanks or with the stock tank (it does not, however, fit well with Safari tanks). We'll try to implement this as a permanent inline-change on a future production order. In the meantime, this DIY edit will not void your warranty on the bag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apparel

Jason Small was the very first non-Mosko-employed person to try on the new Basilisk riding kit last week. He's one of a handful of testers who are going to help make sure we haven't missed anything before we go to production.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The remaining test kits are going out in the mail this week.

[​IMG]

New Shop

We finished decorating the new shop with all the stickers everyone sent in, plus this awesome sign that Ash and Andrew painted. So far we're loving the new workspace.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other News

Mosko was approved for an inventory loan through US Bank and secured by the SBA (Small Business Administration). Borrowing money is always nerve-wracking, because everything I own is on the line as collateral, but it's part of running a small business. We have to make stuff before we can sell it, building inventory takes cash. We were very happy and honored to get this loan, and we're hugely appreciative to our banker Corey, US Bank, and the SBA, without whom we'd never have made it this far.

[​IMG]

Andrew headed North to Canada for the Vancouver motorcycle show in January. This show is always a blast, and very busy, and this year was no exception.

[​IMG]

Roel attended the Assen Motorcycle Show in the Netherlands and reported great traffic there as well, attendance was over 25,000 people. Check out the awesome booth he made for the European shows. Clearly we need to step up our booth game on the US side as well. We're planning to make something similar for the BMW Motorcycle Owners show in July, which is our first indoor show of the summer in the US.

[​IMG]

Baja Pics

Finally, here's an assortment of pics from the second half of our Baja trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Huge thanks to Kurt & Martha from Black Dog Cycle Works for the hospitality when we stopped by their place on Conception Bay!

[​IMG]

Now we're somewhere over the Atlantic, still 2.5 hours from Amsterdam. Amazingly, there's now a direct 10 hour flight from PDX-AMS. We're landing at 9am Dutch time - midnight our time - after zero sleep... so might need a nap.
    BLucare, AG421, deersSlayer and 14 others like this.
  15. galeo

galeo n00b

Oddometer:
    Whaou, Still trying to make better products !!!!! Congrats....
    And, thanks for considering European customers.....
    Good show in our "far, old continent".......
    D-Train likes this.
  16. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider

Oddometer:
    From one old 'weekend warrior' type rider...I just wanted to say that I appreciate all of the work that everyone at Mosko Moto has put into your gear. I don't have sponsorships, corp contracts, monetized blogs or articles...I have to carefully weigh my purchases for max bang for the buck. I've used a number of different brands of gear over the last 20 years and they all seem to have their own pros/cons.

I admit I was skeptical at first when I saw that another company was going to step into this crowded arena and compete. However, your time spent here on ADVrider showing your design process and your never-ending tests for improvement swayed me. I took the plunge and bought my first bag 2 years ago. I was so impressed with the functionality and durability that I quickly swapped out the rest of my kit with Mosko Moto gear. Long story short, you guys make great stuff and I'm glad you took that first scary step. I can't speak for the rest of these inmates, but I won't be buying any other brand gear...

17. Be Gone For Good

Be Gone For Good Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I, like you Phreak, don’t have the sponsorships or money flow (yet) and was reluctant to pay the premium Mosko asks for their products. Once I had my first big international trip planned I decided to see what all the fuss was about.

I bought the Backcountry 40 and was really impressed when the brand new bag arrived. It was super heavy duty and felt totally bomb proof. The added benefit came when I saw it also came with TWO stickers. It was then I knew Mosko wasn’t playing around.

Seriously though, as much as I loved the bag initially, it wasn’t until I had a chance to hit the road with it that it’s true colors were apparent. I pack heavy and tested this bag with way more stuff than most would. I rode through cold, rain and blistering sun without any worries about my bag. It has held clothes, dive gear, computers and one bison skull. It is extremely versatile and flexible enough for any job you need.

There are a couple of pieces of gear I would recommend “no questions asked” and Mosko is certainly on the top of that list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As long as you're looking for our 2 cents: I think that incorporating reflective elements would be a good idea.
  19. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    On BC35 improvements - I have caught the rear tie down for the main flap twice in my back wheel. The first time I may have left it undone, and it was chewed in half, the second time it definitely came undone by itself and was torn completely out. Perhaps changing where the long part of the strap attaches, such that it cannot reach anything rotating if it is undone...?
    LittleWiggler and D-Train like this.
  20. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    And while we are all adding our wise thoughts to the product design: that velcro patch in the hydration chamber of the Nomad is just a pain in the ... hand ...