Mosko Moto Soft Bags for Offroad & Dualsport

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Sideoff, Oct 14, 2013.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the asylum Blake! The Mosko team are good folks, I’m sure you’ll dig it.
    Blake D likes this.
  2. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    We heard you the first time :) Welcome to the team Blake...
  3. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I received the R10 this evening and did some test fitting. Are the leg straps replaceable? It seems like they would be with the way they attach via the T-bar/MOLLE type setup. Anyway, I may cut off some of the excess and would feel better about it if I know I can replace them later.

upload_2019-8-23_23-11-34.jpeg
    toramorgan likes this.
  4. I dig dirt

I dig dirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Am I mistaken???? Or..... Was there some talk awhile back. About possibly bringing back an updated BC25 version.
  5. svtride

svtride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question wrt to MM BC 35L panniers and exhaust heat, BMW RXXXX GS application. Has anyone had any issues with heat damaging or degrading the MM panniers? I just installed a set on my bike that have Globe Scout racks, so I had to make my own RH side adapter plate. I noted the adapters MM does offer for EO BMW GS racks offer broader fore-aft coverage but the adapter has many holes cut into the plate. So I'm not sure that the wider MM plate would provide a better barrier to mitigate heat impingement.
    I feel I currently have good spacing to exhaust outlet but I do notice occasionally on my hard side GS case soot (slight) on the backside closest exhaust.
    I was looking for any wisdom or insight that experienced MM BC pannier users can offer.
    Thanks
    screenshot701.jpg
    toramorgan likes this.
  6. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
    I know that...lol
    toramorgan likes this.
  7. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been running MM panniers for couple of years with TTech racks and no issues with heat.
    Blake D likes this.
  8. toramorgan

toramorgan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is my R10 setup:

IMG_2897.JPG
    CaseyB, beefcake morris and Blake D like this.
  9. toramorgan

toramorgan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    beefcake morris and Blake D like this.
  10. Blake D

Blake D Blake Draguesku

Oddometer:
    Yes the leg straps are replaceable - cut away!

Sweet setup by the way. That's one of the cleanest looking Berg's I've seen.
    Dualsport4ever likes this.
  11. Blake D

Blake D Blake Draguesku

Oddometer:
    Sick!! I spent some time on an FE 350 in Baja and almost had to get one for myself when I returned home. Such a well-rounded bike!
    toramorgan likes this.
  12. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mosko Moto Basilisk Riding Gear Review

OVERVIEW:

I recently had the opportunity to do a 1,200 mile camping trip through Sequoia National Park and Yosemite National Park aboard my R1200GSA. I didn’t get to do any off roading since my wife was on her BMW R1200R but some of the situations apply. We left San Diego and departed for the mountains seeing a temperature range of 65 to 105 degrees on the trip depending on the location. The E Vent material did an amazing job at keeping my temperature regulated even when it was at its hottest. I felt it allowed me to sweat a little but the venting directed airflow to help keep me as cool as possible in that much heat. I tried for a while just running the armor and jersey in the extreme heat and the hot air dried my sweat up quick and left me feeling much hotter and more dehydrated. However, if anyone has entered Sequoia National Park from the south side it is an awesome tight twisty road with a speed limit of 25 mph which means cars go 10 mph so it was awesome when it was super hot to be able to take the Basilisk jacket off while it was slow going and still have impact protection. I think this is exactly what it was designed in mind for except while off-roading but I think this use case applies.

FIT:

For reference here are my measurements based off of Mosko’s fit guide.

HEIGHT: 6’4” (76”)

WEIGHT: 235 - athletic build

CHEST: 45

SLEEVE LENGTH: 36

WAIST: 38”

INSEAM: 34-35”

IMG_20190821_083944.jpg IMG_20190821_083959.jpg IMG_20190821_084015.jpg
    IMG_20190821_084123.jpg IMG_20190821_084203.jpg

JACKET, JERSEY, and BASE LAYER
    :

I was on the larger size for the XL but on the smaller end for the XXL. After talking with Sarah she recommended I go with the XXL. I think it was a wise recommendation because now I have plenty of room to layer warming layers underneath if need be. This would be entirely dictated by your local climate and how cold you are willing to ride in. The jacket itself doesn’t have a lot of adjustment except for the large velcro side panels which do a great job at taking out all the extra material in the torso. I decided to utilize the Forcefield Ex-K harness and Pro Pants to wear underneath the Basilisk jackets and pants. I won’t go in depth about the armor since it is meant to be your preference but I included it for fit reference. I would say the Forcefield EX-K harness is thicker than most other armor sets I’ve seen and even so there is plenty of room in the jacket for the armor. I would recommend getting the same size Mosko jersey as your jacket because it should fit well over the armor. Be aware the laser cut logo on the back has a plastic feel to it and is not meant to worn against the skin. It is meant to be used as part of this system so it isn’t an issue if you are wearing a base layer and armor. The Mosko base layer is good at moisture wicking and after the trip I can report it doesn’t stink at all (individual stink may vary). The bonus for me since I use the EX-K harness the base layer is cut longer on the sleeves to account for the armors strap placement.

PANTS:

I ordered the pants in a size 38 which is inline with my jeans size. The pants are probably my favorite piece of the two because they are just so comfy. Having a set of Klim Badlands Pro I was amazed at how soft and pliable the pants were overall. The pants have a large boot opening so there is plenty of room for even my Sidi Crossfire 3s or my smaller diameter Sidi Armadas. The vent scheme is also a big highlight for me because I can’t believe having a knee vent isn’t a more common feature. The pants flow a great amount of air because of the large front vent and the massive rear exhaust vent. Between the two thigh vents are two pockets which I feel are both really big and are well placed on the pants to actually be useful. It was a perfect place for my key fob and wallet. The waist is also lined in a soft leather which is gentle on the skin with a hook and loop closure system. The female end has three different positions so depending on your waist there is some extra adjustment. Then the cherry on top is it comes with a wide and thick leather belt. The addition of the belt anchors down the pants to your waist and I never felt the pants were sagging or starting to droop.

OTHER:

The zippers on both the jacket and the pants are sublime and are probably some of the best I have used on motorcycle gear. The rubber tags on the zipper pulls are large and grippy. Even if the rubber tag does tear off down the road the metal portion is still large enough, I don’t feel like it will impact the use much. Additionally, the zippers are smooth and easy to use. I can appreciate the additional features on the jacket like the “dirt skirt” and the collar cinch but I haven’t had any real experience with them since it is hot and no rain in sight at the moment.

CONCLUSION:

I think the Basilisk jacket and pants are a superb piece of riding apparel and having ridden in it I think Mosko’s branding of being designed with an off road focus is accurate. I wouldn’t say you can’t use it for any other purpose but the biggest thing working against it is convenience. Where a typical riding jacket is just one zipper and your in your base layer it is more convenient to ride to work or the store. Now I think you could bridge the gap a little bit by your armor choice. If you bought armor like the Forcefield shirt that Mosko sells or countless other brands it would be pretty quick to shed all the layers but you’d still need to have a shirt handy. I think it will come down to your commitment and willingness to deal with the inconvenience then it will work for you. Now where road riding’s inconvenience is turned into off road riding’s convenience. I’ll be looking to do a Part II after a get more off road time during XLADV’s High Sierra event this coming weekend.
  13. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right on! I kind of gathered that after looking at the replacement straps for the Reckless 80/40, but was waiting on some clarification.

And thanks! The 70° Bergs were/are amazing!
    Blake D likes this.
  14. Blake D

Blake D Blake Draguesku

Oddometer:
    Hey JimJim,

What Pete is getting at is the Basilisk Kit is specifically designed for backcountry travel and offroad use. What that translates to is that certain decisions were made to make it excel in that specific application. For example, The Basilisk Kit is designed to be used with separate body armor. In a commuting or dedicated road touring application this may seem cumbersome or overly complicated. But, in the backcountry this makes a lot more sense. Having the ability to remove the jacket for maximum ventilation while traveling at low speeds in rough terrain (Along with other benefits, like more secure protection etc.) is worth the added step of putting on your armor separately.

As to your other question, the seat of the Basilisk Pants are a single layer of event Nylon fabric. The pants are designed to be worn with separate Hip Armor to provide additional impact and abrasion resistance.

For 2020/2021 we will be adding regular and tall inseam options in addition to expanding our fit offerings.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  15. Birdu2

Birdu2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HI there guys ! My name is Estevan, riding a Bmw F650GS Dakar '03. In Baja California Sur, Mexico.
    I been reading a lot here, and out there as well.
    I would love to have your advice on this one before i make the move ....
    Im going to start an adventure starting in Baja, all the way to south america.
    I have a limited budget, so i cant go for racks / hard cases as a luggage, so i was heading into Mosko Reckless 80L ..... ( i already have a bmw motorrad 50L top bag ).
    Still, i would like to compare it with the Backcountry 35L capasity wise ..... For what i can tell the main compartment on the Reckless 80 is the top one, so i just was wondering how much is the difference on the side onces between one and the other .....
    ( sorry for my grammar mistakes ) ....
    Thank you so much for your time and advices !!
    Ride safe !!

:)
  16. Blake D

Blake D Blake Draguesku

Oddometer:
    A V2 BC25 will be launched alongside the V2 BC35.

Here's some of what is new for V2:
    - We reintroduced the 25L size, and also the option of an offset kit for bikes with asymmetrical pannier racks to accommodate exhaust.
    - An aluminum locking bar at the top of the bag, to accommodate a sliding cable lock or a Steelcore Strap, and a stash pocket inside the beavertail for a cable lock.
    - We replaced the sewn-on rear pocket in the prior version with the new Dry Pocket system (a harness and drybag) which can be bolted to the front or rear of the pannier (or both), or removed entirely.
    - A new custom removable aluminum ladderlock buckle for the front beavertail, replacing the old stamped aluminum ones. The new buckle is as tough as the old one, but easier to adjust.
    - Added MOLLE webbing behind the beavertail, and also a handy tool holder for larger items like a hatchet, knife, or saw.
    - An added extra layer of Hypalon armor on the outside of the beavertail and reflective panels on the sides.
  17. I dig dirt

I dig dirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the clarification Blake.... Can't wait to see some photos, of what you guys are working on. I am in need of something very soon. Is there an ETA on prototype pics N a role out date to purchase?
  18. Blake D

Blake D Blake Draguesku

Oddometer:
    Hey Estevan,

To break down the storage volume specs of the Reckless 80 for you:

The top bag is our 22L Stinger Drybag, then each leg compartment (sides) each provide about 29L of storage capacity.

If maximum storage space is your goal, then pairing your existing 50L bag with the Backcountry 35L panniers would be the way to go (Total of 120L).
    Birdu2 likes this.
  19. Blake D

Blake D Blake Draguesku

Oddometer:
    No problem! Everything will be launched on the site come September 9th.
  20. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    TBF...8L of the R80 is the 2 back of the leg pouches (rated 4L each) which for me can hold 2L of fuel and close them. Is there a standard procedure for measuring capacity of roll-top bags? Are they filled to the top while open to measure capacity? Or is it measured with the standard 3 rolls (how it's *actually* used)?