Mosko Moto Soft Bags for Offroad & Dualsport

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Sideoff, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Roger that. Thank you for the feedback!!

You may be right on the exhaust vents. I haven’t had a problem with it yet, but I’ve only used the Rak on two trips so far. The first was on a 1290 (big windscreen) and the second was on a 150 (low speeds). The real test would be on a 690 touring trip: high speeds, no windscreen, long distance. That’ll be me this spring if nobody beats me to it.

I think the Rak’s main body fabric is probably a little heavier than the Traverse. I haven’t held a Traverse for a long time so I’m not positive, but I’m pretty sure. Also the Rak is 3-layer not 2-layer & liner like the Traverse obviously. Adventure Spec is making some 3 layer shells that are designed to accommodate separate armor. They might line up with what you’re looking for: a traverse minus the liner and armor. I haven’t actually seen or held one myself, only seen the pics, but they have more openings than the Rak, so might be appealing to folks who want more vents.

Personally I’ve found with separate armor that the temperature window in which I need vents is greatly reduced. Like maybe I put on my jacket in the morning, take it off in the middle of the day, and put it back on at the end of the day. So the vents might let me take it off a half hour later or something like that, but it doesn’t amount to much in the big picture. I sweat a lot, so I’m pretty sensitive to overheating. When it warms up or the riding gets technical, my jacket comes off ASAP. And it usually doesn’t go back on until much later in the day.
    TheGearDude and 2 SPOT like this.
  2. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    see you at expo west again?
    TheGearDude and Sideoff like this.
  3. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally the hood would be something to use off the bike. Same with the pit zips too. I would see using a jacket like this for riding only when it's rainy or cold and then taking it off as soon as it was warm enough. My biggest search has been for a jacket that's multi purpose, I want something I can wear for rain on the bike and then get off and walk around town or go on a hike in.
    For me the dual purpose means it has to have a hood and it has to have pit zips... Hiking in any sort of rain jacket, no matter how breathable of a material, always gets that nasty clammy feeling inside of it unless it has pit zips... I don't think you need to add extra venting zips across the back as it seems like this jacket is only meant to be worn when it's cold and rainy.
    A removable hood would also mean it could be that true dual purpose jacket. I see Ash has been wearing an arcteryx jacket while over there and if you could eliminate the need for having a rain jacket for riding as well as a rain jacket for walking around town I think it would be the dream jacket! The only hard part is getting a hood for walking or hiking. A nice zip off could solve that pretty well!

In regards to the pocket, could you make the hand pockets connected so it's like the pocket on the front of a regular hoodie sweatshirt but just with zips on both sides? That way the rain flaps could face towards the side/back and wouldn't catch the rain or wind? I also think since it would be a longish "tube" shape, it would be easy to unzip one side and turn the jacket inside out into that pocket and then zip it back up!

I would definitely love to test one out! Like I said, I've always loved anorak jackets and have been searching for ages to find the right one. I couldn't believe it when you guys started posting about making one! Getting me excited to see what you come up with!
    TheGearDude and Sideoff like this.
  4. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got it, this all makes sense. Thanks! I could see possibly adding something like the hood in the future. We have a zip off hood on the Deluge, so it’s already basically designed, we’d just move it to the Rak. Rak v1 will be similar to what we have now - two separate hand pockets, no hood, no vents. Maybe in the next one we’ll reconsider some of these revisions. Very much appreciated!!
    spaceman_spiff and TheGearDude like this.
  5. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes! We’ll be there. We’re making a road trip out of it, bringing bikes and stopping to ride on the way back north. My leg should be fully recovered by then. See ya there!
  6. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    ABSOLUTELY spot on Pete!

Why I have retired my very heavy, very (VERY) hot, very well vented/zippered, very expensive competitor's jacket in favor of the Basilisk.

I asked you early on in this thread about the pullover you were wearing because it immediately peaked my interest. I think the prototype you were wearing at the outset of the trip is the perfect balance between a minimalist touring jacket and the full featured Basilisk. Exactly what I'm looking for in a daily riding jacket or when traveling light. I think the pullover style is perfect. As you say "too simple to fail". Reduce failure points and you have a jacket that should last many riding seasons.

I have the ForceField Harness purchased from Mosko and the Leatt 4.5 chest protector. Each has its advantages and disadvantages and I wear one or the other on most all of my off-tarmac riding adventures regardless of length. And each wears comfortably under my Basilisk. So allowing for armor to be worn under a pullover is an important feature IMO.

Hood...I'm not a hood fan for moto riding apparel. Perhaps a removable hood for use off the bike. Even so, I haven't seen many ways to attach a removable hood to a jacket that prevents water from seeping down inside the jacket and down one's back in a storm. The trouble with a permanent hood that either rolls up and stows outside the jacket or stuffs inside the collar, is the added bulk. A big negative for me since I now wear a Leatt neck brace for a lot of my off-road riding.

Just some random thoughts....
    Sideoff and TheGearDude like this.
  7. spaceman_spiff

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to what you come up with! Klim made and sold a pullover style jacket back in the day and I had one for a while and I liked it but didn't end up using it much after a while as I wanted something I could wear off the bike as well.
    I think the market is really lacking the true dual purpose jackets right now. Especially for traveling where you need a rain shell for riding but then you want to be able to park the bike and go hiking or tour some sites all day in the rain. Would be sweet to eliminate one more piece of gear from the luggage bag!
    I'm glad you guys put the removable hood on the deluge jacket, such a simple addition makes it so much more versatile. Plus if users don't like it then they can just unzip and toss! The buyer having the option is the key selling point in my opinion
    2 SPOT, Sideoff and TheGearDude like this.
  8. TheGearDude

TheGearDude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    artboard_19_copy_11.png
    Join us on St. Paddy's Day in Salt Lake City, we'll be drinking green beer and showing off our full product line at the Utah Enduro Adventures shop. This is one meetup you don't want to miss! Event details HERE
    dooby likes this.
  9. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I totally agree with what you’re saying about dual purpose riding/travel gear. Message received. Thanks for weighing in on this!!
    TheGearDude and spaceman_spiff like this.
  10. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man you guys need to stop being ventaphobes hahaha

I was on a ride last weekend where the temps ranged 35 degrees throughout the day..

Hit a technical section open the vents...trail speeds up close the vents...

I was wearing a 3 layer stretch gore jacket with no armor or liner...but it had 8 vents
  11. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We’re not ventaphobes in general. Although that’s an awesome word The Basilisk has tons of vents. On the Rak we’re going for a different objective. When it’s hot, take it off.
  12. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @spaceman_spiff here’s an answer from Julia on the stuff sack on the Rak.

“Hey Pete! We did not make this jacket stuffable because we made the pass through loop on the back of the neck. Might be an interesting idea to put the pass through loop on the inside of the pocket though for future concepts. That way it would be the inside of the pocket getting dirty instead of the outside.

I agree with the getting dirty thing. That’s a factor for sure. On the other hand it takes a while to stuff the jacket into its own pocket, and unstuff it when you need it. That’s where the roll-up-voile-strap carrying option is so nice. Maybe we should offer them both.
    TheGearDude likes this.
  13. spaceman_spiff

Oddometer:
    I definitely like the pass through loops on the neck that you guys came up with! That's also a very valid point about the inside of the pocket getting dirty when turned inside out. Could be annoying to be walking around and put your hand in there and bring it out all dusty. I usually stuff my rain gear into the top of one of my side panniers rather than strapped to the back so the pocket would be more ideal for that I think.

Thanks for the follow up! Kinda crazy to be able to go back and forth these days with the head honcho of a successful gear production company. You guys know how to keep loyal customers!
  14. V1Vr

V1Vr just an average Joe

Oddometer:
    I have been researching bags for a KTM 790 and I am waffling between the Scout and Reckless systems. Originally I was leaning towards the Scout but decided that having racks permanently mounted to the bike would probably not be ideal if the bags were not in use in offroad situations as any napping would lead to bent or broken racks. Enter the Reckless. Easy on and off, lighter, weight closer to the centerline of the bike, and a clean bike without bags. What's not to like? Exhaust heat,.... ..so I hear:(. Still sorting through threads and blogs, but what I've read so far is that this is mostly an issue with the 690? Can you shed any light on issues with 790 fitment? With the Canadian peso being what it is a Wings exhaust solution ends up being more expensive than the luggage:baldy
    MtnRider and TheGearDude like this.
  15. TheGearDude

TheGearDude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have done several thousand miles on and off-road with the R80 on my 790 and had no issues. It requires some conscious packing on the non-exhaust side to prevent flopping but that issue should be alleviated with the V3 coming out shortly.
    DSC06207.jpg DSC06242.jpg
  16. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might want to look at snow mobile jackets for some ideas. They seem to be a durable shell with seam sealed waterproofing, some abrasion resistance, and vents. Maybe a little bulkier than what you're interested in making, but lighter than most MC jackets and some good ideas baked in.
    TheGearDude likes this.
  17. V1Vr

V1Vr just an average Joe

Oddometer:
    Eeexxxcccellent!! Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thank you for the pics. I'm running the same rear rack so it's a great help in envisioning the fit. I see V2 is sold out, so V3 is available soon?

I see Perun is working on a side carrier for the 790. Maybe a good standoff for the non exhaust side bag??
    TheGearDude likes this.
  18. philthyphil

philthyphil Nomad

Oddometer:
    I am a huge fan of the R80 and other rackless bags and I run a set on my 1090 but I feel pretty exposed when running without bags. The racks protect the exhaust from damage when running without bags. Just something to think about.
    TheGearDude and V1Vr like this.
  19. Géesse

Géesse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know that Pete from Mosko moto has been here since the early stage of the design, and followed is adventure on the blog even the latest mishap, i hope he'll get well fast! I finally decided to do the big leap for proper luggage, I thought theres was a small discount for advrider member but don't see any in the vendor discount section....have i missed something?........i know there was a sale in november but unfortunately i could'nt take advantage of that offer than.

Thanks!

Rob
    TheGearDude likes this.
  20. autonhome

autonhome Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know it should have been discussed lots of time...but I need advice...

I want to go Reckless, but which one ? 40 or 80 ? Previously, I had a Giant Loop Coyote. It's for my KTM 690E

Reckless 80 :
    - I know it will be big enough for all my gears (camping, clothes, tools and whatever), but maybe too big ?

Reckless 40 :
    - as my Coyote was little bit small (especially because of my tent), may the Reckless40 too small too ? Is this possible to fit tent poles bag on one of Molle panel of leg bag ? The idea of having a Reckless40 is to have poles outside of drybags, to fit a tool roll outside of Reckless (using Molle attachment on one leg) and just use drybag for clothes, sleeping bag, mattress...

It's just for 2-3 overnight trips, not RTW

Last question : Does the Hood Tank bag fits a 690E ? do you have pics ?

Thanks for your help !
    TheGearDude likes this.