Mosko Moto Soft Bags for Offroad & Dualsport

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Sideoff, Oct 14, 2013.

1. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed update!

Can't say enough for the Deluge, fits perfectly, the eVent fabric works perfectly and the fit is actually made for motorcycling. NO PROBLEM slipping the pants over my Gaerne S12 or Forma Predators both of which are huge boots in the calf/shin area. Sure Deluge could be thinner, more packable but every time I've been stuck riding through bad weather I've arrived at camp completely dry. Also, you are correct in the multiple use department, it works for skiing and any inclement weather situation. Leaving on a 6 week dirt tour to the Grand Canyon and will be packing the Deluge as rain and final layer!
    Sideoff likes this.
  2. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Y'all don't sit on your asses, that's for damn sure!

I love the open source style of your company and everything you are doing! I went with the Rak over the Deluge because the material seemed beefier and I am sick of rain jackets that are too lightweight and flapping in the wind at freeway speeds. I, like Levain above, wish it had some kind of vent though as here in the North GA mountains it gets so humid that if it rains in the summer I usually just get wet because a rain jacket is useless.

I bought 2 pairs of Woodman OTB in the Obsidian... a 34T and a 36T... the color looks great and the pants are so close to being right but the fit just wasn't there for me. 34 was perfect everywhere but the waist was too snug. 36 waist was just a touch large but I could have dealt with it except the rest of the pant was huge and baggy. I'm 6'3" and 210-220lbs... usually wear a 36x34 or 36x32 pant FWIW. Also, I ended up deciding they just looked like they would shred if I crashed on the road... I know they are an off-road pant but the truth is I ride on the road a lot too. Then the separate armor was an entirely different issue. If these pants came in a bit more refined fit, with some sort of abrasion resistance, and options for armor pockets... I'd be back into them in a heartbeat.

Don't forget we have shows on the east coast, too! Would love to see you in the vendors area of the IMS Atlanta show.

Cheers!
    Sideoff likes this.
  3. Sideoff

Sideoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Levain! I always appreciate your comments.

I agree on the cuffs on the deluge. FYI that wasn't a cost thing at all it was more of a packability thing, and also not wanting to have a cuff over a cuff if there was another jacket underneath. I have thought many times while riding - I think all Deluge owners have - that we should've put on a velcro cuff.

I like how you said the 'dry PNW' :roflWe do find ourselves explaining a lot on the Rak and Deluge why they don't have vents. I know you already know why we didn't include vents on the Rak and Deluge, so I don't need to write it out. Thanks for adding 'venting' to the dialog!

I've also had that same thought you mentioned sometimes too about the stashable emergency jacket being the anorak and the lighter weight touring jacket being the full zip. I definitely see the logic.

THANK YOU!!
  4. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Relative humidity, not the wet stuff comi g from the sky of course :clap:lol3:lol3:lol3
    Sideoff likes this.
  5. Sideoff

Sideoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow hey yeah check that out thanks for turning me on to that, hadn't seen that one before. Cool! We're Haglof fans here.

Now that you have it, how do you feel about 2.5 layer for moto? Maybe that's fine for this sport because we always have long sleeves and long pants underneath. It's a substantial savings to go from 3 layer to 2.0 & 2.5 layer fabrics. It's also a substantial savings to use the PU sealed ykk zippers they're using instead of the vislon aquaguard. Those two changes alone would bring the cost of the Deluge way down, if that matters.

Looking at the LIM, we could make that hood removable and helmet friendly, add a sturdier wrist closure with velcro straps to stop the wind/water, and produce something just like that in over-armor sizing. Our cost would be a lot better than Haglofs because of the direct pricing. The Deluge was priced at $250 and that was 3 layer eVent with vislon aquaguard zips, hand pockets, and a heavier face. Our costs on an ultralight in 2.5L with pu sealed zips and no hand pockets would be super compelling, not that price point was one of your requests. I just feel like with these light rainshells it's a competitive space where people bring up price all the time (at least they did with the Deluge).

Pretty cool that you're already using a jacket exactly like what i described in the post, for moto.
    Sunaj and JHof44 like this.
  6. Sideoff

Sideoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice!! Thanks for chiming in Dave!! Why am I not surprised you're a Deluge fan too? I'm with you, as you know. I also kind of wonder if we just added velcro cuffs and changed the color to something more interesting than 'raincloud grey' :imaposer, if it wouldn't immediately sell better and then we'd be so happy we didn't make more changes. But at the same time, unless we were getting a tidal wave of support for that, I don't think I could seriously bring in another shipment of Deluges without overhauling it first. Just because it wasn't a great seller in its current form and I really want to know why. The Rak & Basilisk each outsell the Deluge by at least double. We must be missing something.

The cuff thing bugs me but that's about it. I dig the pants too.
  7. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I purchased the Rak because I spend too much time on roads and wanted a rain layer that would withstand lots of highway speeds, and be more durable for longer hauls. The Rak + Woodsman + AdvSpec Mongolia is my go-to kit. I thought the Rak pants would be easier on/off on the side of the road. So far so good!
    Sideoff likes this.
  8. Sideoff

Sideoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    We'll be in Atlanta this year! Thanks for the comments.

Wet and humid is the hardest climate for rain gear because the membranes just basically don't work all that well with the whole 'moisture transfer' thing. There's going to be a ton of moisture inside no matter what. If you unzip you get wet with rain. If you zip up then you get wet with sweat and condensation. It's tricky. A lot of times I just ride without a jacket and get wet, like you said. It only sucks if the temp drops later and now I'm soaked. but I'd be wet with the jacket on too. I'm not sure if vents would help all that much, as you're not going to want to ride with open vents in the rain. I can get a ton of air flowing through the Rak by opening up the sleeve cuffs, unzipping the main zip, and unzipping the side zip. If it's raining you'd get pretty wet though.

The Woodsman thigh, knee, and butt is a Schoeller moto fabric specifically designed for moto abrasion. It's more abrasion-proof than it probably seems at first glance. I can't remember exactly what the speed rating is but it's up there, maybe like 50-60mph or so. It's a sturdy fabric. Thanks for trying them!! Sorry they didn't work out for you.

See you in ATL!
    flux_capacitor likes this.
  9. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Every time I read your updates...I want your company to go public so I can buy the stock hahaha...

Amazing communication and innovation....2 years ago I posted that I would buy a Basilisk if it had forearm vents...I am in...

I would rather give you my money than Klim....right now they still have some items that you don't...

Trail pants and jacket...see Klim Dakar
    Waterproof shell with massive venting...Klim Stealth...
    Pac Lite emergency shell with vents...
    Sideoff and flamingm0e like this.
  10. levain

Oddometer:
    Sideoff and Nowwhat like this.
  11. levain

Oddometer:
    @wachs Have to say it. Mosko, earmuffs please

Altrider Hemisphere. Thank you. Amazing, simple kit.
    Force0321 likes this.
  12. RandomGRK

RandomGRK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the Jackaloft the right choice if you're running a mesh jacket in late September and need some wind resistance and insulation from the cool mornings or is it too warm for that?
  13. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love my jack aloft. But I’d recommend a thin (Klim) windshirt, and the Jackalit. Very versatile system.
    RandomGRK and Sideoff like this.
  14. Sunaj

Sunaj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You’re welcome!

You’re right concerning the layering. I always have a long sleeve base layer and a long sleeve alpinestars bionic pro body armour. So the rainjacket has just two functions:
    - keep the water away
    - be almost none existent in my pack

IMG_2467.jpg

The sleeves are for me really just fine. Don’t have to think about it or adjust anything. For an allroad moto rider with more substantial gloves some velcro might be better. I ride with enduro gloves, they get soaked anyway and the water goes up the sleeves only a couple of cm’s.

Regarding the zipper, I was worried at first. The pressure from riding wind makes water go anywhere and through anything. But after two trips with multiple rain days (8+ hours of down pour while riding tarmac speeds siting down and double track speeds standing up) the jacket and the zipper have proven themselves.

There was a second concern. The fabric is thin. It feels flimsy and has an outer layer function. So I worried about damaging it. So far not a single branch I hit managed to snag and rip anything. Also our german shepherd puppy of 40kg has not damaged it by jumping me with his claws on the jacket. The LIM has a ribstop fabric but no rib had be stopped yet. Big surprise from my side.

IMG_4427.jpg

The hood is less of an annoyance than I expected. It is a bit fiddly with my neck brace so a detachable hood would be an upgrade.
    Sideoff and blalor like this.
  15. blalor

blalor Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Sunaj do you use the hood under your helmet? I'm wondering if the stiffened peak would be uncomfortable.

When it's warm I really enjoy the airflow with Under Armour Heat Gear base layer, Leatt AirFit Lite, and an el-cheapo Fly jersey. But I get cold pretty easily so having a wind blocking layer I can throw on over everything else when it gets cooler is important to me. My Columbia jacket's worked well, but the hood is a little fiddly when not under my helmet; I can trap it under my USWE pack, but if it escapes it does strangle me a bit. A detachable hood feels like a mixed bag: one that could be rolled into the collar might mean quicker access in the rain and out of the way otherwise.
    Sideoff and Sunaj like this.
  16. Sideoff

Sideoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is great, those are all things we’ve been wondering about. That’s amazing it kept you dry for that long in those conditions!! What you listed as your requirements is the same for me. Disappear in my pack, stay dry. Thanks again for the feedback @Sunaj.
    Sunaj likes this.
  17. Sunaj

Sunaj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, I don’t. My helmet happens to be waterproof... so never had the urge. I might be missing out on something great.

I do also use it as a wind blocking layer in cold mornings. My down jacket sees less and less use on the moto, blocking the wind extends the acceptable temp range quite a bit. The down jacket sees more use in camp.
    Sideoff likes this.
  18. Sideoff

Sideoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice. Thanks for the feedback! Do you find the Dakar is a bit heavy and hot for trail riding? I havent actually worn the Dakar for a long time and I know it has changed a lot in that time. But I did read that feedback in a few spots on forums. I feel like trail apparel has been getting a lot lighter, stretchier, and more streamlined in general. The old Dakar pants I had which I loved at the time, would be considered pretty heavy by today’s standards.
  19. Sideoff

Sideoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    The under helmet hood is really nice sometimes when it’s cold and wet. Having a hood is really key around camp though. It’s hard to take a rain jacket as my ‘only jacket on the trip’ and not have a hood. And then it’s like, if we’re adding a hood, might as well make it work under a helmet too. You lose a little off-bike functionality (no brim, tighter fit, looks a little weird) but it’s a small sacrifice.

yeah detachable stuff is a pain. Seems like eventually, it always gets separated. Stuffing it in the collar also creates problems with collar bulk, stiffness, tension, under-layering, helmets and the adams apple etc. We tried that originally and steered away from it fast. There’s no perfect solution that we’ve found so far but we’re always looking. If you see something pls pass it along!

Piscoot and Sunaj like this.
  20. blalor

blalor Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even with my Klim jacket threatening to cut off my airway I still seem to get rain down my neck. It's not so much to keep my head dry as it is to keep it out of my jacket. That's a benefit to the higher collar: captured in the chin strap, and with the hood under the helmet, there's really no way for rain to get in from the top.

I took a 1st-gen Jackaloft with me on my last trip and found it very comfortable. I think it'll pack smaller than my down jackets (seems I'm getting a collection), and if it really does fit under my armor I think that'll be huge.

Last fall I got top and bottom Innershell windbreakers from Edz. Looks like they're no longer making them.
    [​IMG]
    It's not waterproof (in the least) but effectively blocks the wind under something like a mesh jacket. It packs TINY, like baseball-size, definitely smaller than the balled-up Haglofs above. I don't like the cattywompus zipper and have thought about replacing it with a Klim wind shirt, but the Deluge will probably displace it in my kit.
    Sideoff and Sunaj like this.