Most available riding days in Canada?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by northern, Nov 28, 2020.

1. northern

northern Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So as I dream of spring arriving again and the thought I might one day retire......

Where is Canada has the most available days to ride a motorcycle in a year?

Let's say I like riding in the sunshine and riding above 8 C.

Vancouver?

Winsor?

Digby?
  2. CCitis

CCitis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I will be riding today here in Vancouver. It will probably be around 8 C and fairly sunny. I don't think Ontario is an option as they have already had a dump of snow. For the most part, you can ride year-round here, and snow is pretty scarce! Its the rain that can hamper you, but we get breaks every once in a while.

The one caveat? It is local riding only, you are boxed in by the mountains so long rides are out of the question. The border being closed doesn't help to head south, but outside of COVID, you can also enjoy Washington.
    MikefromNL, ommoran and shuswap1 like this.
  3. filterx

filterx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lower Mainland and Vancouver BC usually all winter BUT it can MONSOON rain for days.

Then the riding and weather is OK in BC from say April to Sept but don't tell anyone :)
  4. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    +1 for the Lower Mainland. I commute year round by motorcycle.
    CCitis likes this.
  5. Tim - DO THE TON

Tim - DO THE TON Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode today in Toronto. I've gone out for New Years rides in the past. All depends on the weather and your tolerance for cold but you can ride most of the year in Toronto.

I don't really 'winterize' my motorcycles as a result. They all get fired up every few weeks at most.

That being said, I work in South Carolina and have an F800ST and XR250R down there. If you want to ride year round, leave Canada :) Sadly I haven't been there since March but am looking forward to spending most of next winter there.
  6. DanVFR

DanVFR Traveller

Oddometer:
    Vancouver is still good, December and Jan may have snow, my season started Feb 15th this year, I hope to start again same time next year, after my winter rebuild.
    CCitis likes this.
  7. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Def not Whitehorse :lol3
  8. fredgreen

fredgreen let's take it apart....

Oddometer:
    I ride in the Annapolis valley, NS, from April til late November, between those months there will be riding days, but few and far between.
  9. V1Vr

V1Vr just an average Joe

Oddometer:
    The thing that pisses me off about the lower mainland now is the amount of calcium chloride they've started laying on the roads in recent years. If they even think there is going to be frost they'll lay it down. Next rain, your driving/riding in saltwater, and that sh*t gets everywhere:becca
  10. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    'Scuse me. 9C and sunny. Going for a ride, and the missus is probably taking her Indian Scout out for the last time this year.
    CCitis likes this.
  11. MiltonHog

MiltonHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Windsor Ont is as far south as you can get in Canada. Roughly parallel with North California. The roads are mostly laid out on a grid which works well for surveyors and farmers. The temps are pretty moderate but the salt and brine laid down at the least hint of frost or snow will trash most vehicles. Since brine has been used the incidence of rust and weird issues with brake and fuel systems lines also electrical problems.

Windsors riding season is a couple of weeks longer in the fall and starts earlier in the spring sometimes early March. The riding area is limited as 200 kms away London thru to Woodstock gets brutal snowfall and whiteouts causing multi vehicle wrecks is sadly to common. The price of bike insurance in Ontario is very high but I understand BC insurance is high as well.
    ommoran likes this.
  12. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, I'd think.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    We have a winner! Just have to watch out for early morning black ice in the shady spots. They use brine on the roads here too and it loves to destroy anything aluminum. I stopped riding year round about 10 yrs. ago. Just not worth it. In B.C. insurance is expensive but we are lucky in that we can buy it monthly. 3 months is the least you can buy.

:1drink
    Holaday and 3rdeng like this.
  14. tbas3

tbas3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just looked at the weather for here (Western Nova Scotia) and they are giving anywhere from plus 8 to plus 14 for the next 4 days. Only one day with a predicted high below plus 8 in the next 7 days. However its usually wet and windy here with the warm weather we usually get rain or at least the threat of it.

Insurance is cheap. I pay about $260 a year for a F650GS. Spring weather is usually wet. Summer is often foggy although not as much these days. Fall is the best time of year here to ride. September and October are the best time of year to have a motorcycle.
    AngusMcL likes this.
  15. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One could try to ride year round here in the Interior of BC. We have enough warmer days where the roads are decent. The Brine they are spraying out is a deal breaker for me, killing our cars so killing the bike would be too much. Plus keeping one insured all year is getting onerous. Besides, this is Canada, embrace winter. Ski, Snow shoe, go skating or my fav, ride your fat bike.
    Ymirtrials likes this.
  16. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It has been unusually warm here for the past couple weeks, I just keep riding in the yard till the snow gets too deep.....oh wait you guys were talking about riding on the road right......:loco
    5FC56EFD-2AF0-44FA-82F2-3D84E98BB7C2.jpeg
    Taffdalad, B10Dave and MGV8 like this.
  17. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island
    Flying_Celt likes this.
  18. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    Victoria and area. pretty certain.
    Flying_Celt likes this.
  19. road hammer

road hammer have map will travel

Oddometer:
    no offence intended towards Digbyites, but sure as hell not Digby!

nice enuf here in Kamloops today might take the 690 fer a rip!
  20. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer: