Most Important Things to Know For a Motorcycling n00b.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by MotoMusicMark, Mar 26, 2010.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's gonna be 4 months without working, my credit cards hate me but so far I'm still covering the mortgage.:lol3

But on the good side we've gotten a shitload done on the renovations for the moto B&B we're building, we should be open for this season.:D
    Sal Pairadice and kames like this.
  2. Edoz

Edoz n00b sauce

Oddometer:
    Since this seems to be the place to enlighten noobs, I'll ask this here.
    I have a 2" flat strip in the center of my rear tire from 5k mi of riding. No big deal, I expect that.
    Today, I ride 100mi out and 100mi back with a stiff cross wind all day. Now I have a flat strip on each side of the center strip, and my tire looks like half a hexagon.
    I guess riding leaned over wears your tire super fast? I never would have expected a noticable flat strip from 100mi or less. Is this level of wear normal? (Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2s)
  3. Ibraz

Ibraz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    when was the last time you checked your tire pressure?
    Tarmac Kid and Edoz like this.
  4. Edoz

Edoz n00b sauce

Oddometer:
    Derp! It has been a couple of weeks and sure enough, it's low. Now I feel dumb, AND I have flat spots on my tire. :doh
    ChuckS and Motorius like this.
  5. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I'd have to see it but I'd be surprised if that tiny mileage did squat. If you were saying 5000 miles then I might think you have something.

I forget to check my tire pressure regularly on my 640 and my 525 is running old mousses that are so soft it looks like I have 10 lbs of air in them. Even that soft and the fact I can make the rear tire spin in the rim it still handles fine on the highway.
    mitchxout likes this.
  6. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    My one bit of advice for street riding; being on a bike is awesome, you can do all kinds of things a car driver can't. But every time you do something a car can't do, like shooting away from a stoplight, diving into a gap with a gob of torque, or even filtering, NEVER assume any car drivers will be expecting it. Never expect car drivers to be looking between lanes in a queue, never expect them to realise you're now in the spot that was free 1/4 second ago, and so on. Car drivers generally know jack shit about motorcycles, what they can do, or how the highway code is different for them, so they'll mostly just assume you will do whatever they can do.

Example: I used to get people cutting me off on roundabouts a lot until I realised this was mainly because they didn't realise I could go from waiting at my exit to 25m down the road in half the time their cars could. They were assuming I'd only be able to accelerate as fast as their 1.2 hatchbacks, so they thought they'd have loads of time to get on the roundabout ahead of me. Now I make sure I throttle on nice and steady unless the next exit is empty.

TL;DR: whenever planning a maneuver on the street, ask yourself how drivers around you, who know nothing about bikes, would be able to see it coming.
  7. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even the Tesla car technology can't handle predicting what or where a motorcycle is coming from....so for sure most humans wont be able to either.
  8. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Good post, and of particular importance in this scenario: You are in one of two same-direction lanes. You are behind a slower vehicle, and there is another vehicle in the other lane, next to the slower vehicle. The slower vehicle turns, by use of a turn lane or other exit bay. DO NOT immediately speed up and occupy the space it was in. The other car driver in the other lane will never be expecting you to be able to close that gap so fast, and will probably be wanting to get in that lane now, more than likely right over you.

Drivers seem to be outrageously impatient on the roads. If a gap opens, somebody in a cage was waiting for that moment and will be darting into it shortly, assuming it will still be empty if they move really fast. If you are always the first person to occupy new gaps, you are going to get hit.
  9. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Very cool. NS and Newfoundland are on my list of rides to do ( From NY) along with Bar Harbor. Do you have a link or details to the moto B&B? Also, info local riding.
  10. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    This is great advice. I might rephrase a bit and say - if you occupy those new gaps, be ready with an escape route and a wary eye. Two sides of fhe same coin really. Its sort of the psychology of defensive riding.
    LuciferMutt likes this.
  11. P 0 P E Y E

P 0 P E Y E Bald rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I simply can’t handle the temptation of riding like a total tool bag on the street if on a sport bike.

Gaining confidence and speed. Getting to the edge. Starting to drift. Thinking I am getting it. Suddenly it gets me and high side the freaking thing.

The dirt slows it down and there’s no cell phone soccer milfs that kill
    Heartly and Sal Pairadice like this.
  12. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  13. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:

Popeye man, that is the story of my life right there.
  14. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wonder how many new riders start on bikes with touch screens? It's still shocking to me they're allowed at all.
    PlainClothesHippy likes this.
  15. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy Riding a dangerously quiet bike.

Oddometer:
    Not just on bikes either. My wife's car has a touch screen and to do anything with it you need to be looking at it. My cheap little car has knobs and dials. I can correct the temp, redirect the interior air, etc and never take my eyes off the road. Or the guy on the motorcycle.
    Rippin209 and mitchxout like this.
  16. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works

Oddometer:
    When I worked in television post, my co-sufferer Ron, hated touch screens and multi function buttons. His motto; "One knob, one job".
  17. ATadam

ATadam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been learning in and around constant city traffic, it's basically semi-controlled chaos so yeah the best thing you can do is to be predictable and act like a car. People will totally invade your lane and won't respect your size but you just have to keep a watchful eye and move on, also lane positioning is super important for being seen. If somebody in front of you hits the brake then tap the rear just enough to activate the light even if you're just slowing down by gearing down, if in front always back off the intersection a bit so cars turning and cutting the corner close don't hit you. Really important to see way ahead and whether people might be jaywalking, pulling out, opening car doors, etc. and slowing a little bit under the speed limit = more time to read and react for both parties. Always veer towards the side of the road and not into oncoming traffic if you can't help it (also keep a constant check of what cars are around you for this obvious reason lol). At every light make sure you can see the driver in front of you in the side mirror and turn the handle bars so if somebody per change did slam into you you'd at least not get pancaked. Watch out for fresh coolant/oil at long intersection waits, expect that the tire lanes might be worn down and wobbly, watch out for pot holes, if you do have to go over some absolutely awful patch jobs then do what they teach you in MSF and get your butt just off the seat. Avoid situations where you have to wait to turn left but there's not a turn lane. Use your acceleration as a tool to get away from people, not just something you use constantly. If you're on a smaller motorcycle then avoid left hands at lights because they probably won't activate. Pedestrians are even worse at awareness than cars. Any big truck in the city hates being there so expect erratic behavior from them. Don't bolt out at intersections if you can't help it because people always blast through yellows till the last second. Even if you get to the stop sign first wait to confirm other drivers are actually stopping, sometimes nudging out a few feet gets their attention. Yadda yadda it becomes a game basically.
    Motorius likes this.
  18. mrstormy

mrstormy n00b

Oddometer:

Well, he is MIA for more than a year, and, with all his prior bravado, he's either dead or incarcerated. I checked out his youtube channel and looked for him online. poof, vanished. Not surprised.
  19. Chibiabos

Chibiabos Undercover Mollusk

Oddometer:
    Goes way beyond bravado. He has a few videos where he's flat out picking fights with people. At one point he almost got into a fistfight with an old man. They weren't even moving, if I recall correctly...
  20. safeTnerd

safeTnerd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Remember (for the old guys) sitting in high school driver's ed and watching the gory crash scenes from the state highway patrol? The slogan was "Speed Kills"....they would give out bumper stickers declaring such ... It' still true today ..... many motorcycle deaths/accidents can be avoided if we would just SLOW DOWN ..... I just watched a video on the news where a car driver blatantly blew a stop sign and T-boned the motorcyclist. It was on a residential street, the car driver clearly at fault .... but the motorcycle rider did not slow down one bit for a look at the intersection before entering.
    Motorius likes this.