Most Important Things to Know For a Motorcycling n00b.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by MotoMusicMark, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Hima

Hima n00b

Oddometer:
    This is my first post. I read through this whole thread. I’d say it was about 85% garbage arguing/repeating things/really bad advice/etc. and 15% incredibly good information, which made it frustrating because I realized I would need to wade through the mud of the whole thread in order to read all of the good info. I have loved and wanted to ride motorcycles my whole life. I am what you would consider a new rider, I rode an XR75 for a couple years as a teen until it got stolen, then recently on a whim I bought a Grom. Rode very often on it for a year, put in 2600ish miles, and then I decided to graduate to a Himalayan a couple months ago. I’m retrospect, riding the grom for a year was an excellent training device; I got the feel of riding a motorcycle (albeit a very smalll one, but one that was easy to handle/control) around the streets in urban traffic in my city. I have a lot of experience riding road bicycles as well, and honestly a lot of those skills definitely transfer into the moto world. One thing I gathered in my year and a half or so of motorcycle riding is seriously how many assholes are riding motorcycles out there on the road. It’s really bad, actually, and these dicks are giving every motorcyclist a bad name with their behavior. People going way too fast splitting lanes, super lame loud pipes, kooks on sport bikes wearing T-shirt’s and vans, idk man the list goes on and on. One of the worst things is when some loud pipe asshole is splitting lanes in gridlock traffic and repeatedly loudly revs their bike if the gap is too small, “I am the motorcycle god, you must part the seas for me!!!!!!” Jeez man, maybe just be patient and wait 20 seconds for a gap to open up? I’ve seen dudes on sport bikes literally kick the sides of cars with their boots in this scenario, crazy. It’s weird; I love motorcycles and riding, but hate a really large percentage of motorcyclists. Really too bad it has to be this way, so much macho douchebag bullshit in this scene. Why so entitled? Why so dickish to everyone on the road? Fuck all of you guys that act like this. And this thread, yeah wow even as a somewhat rookie I cannot believe how much bad advice is in this thread, unreal. Bad motorcyclist just inbreeding more bad habits. Yes I am a new rider, and I feel like in life, you are never a master of anything, just always a disciple. The learning never stops. So i don’t want to come off like I have it all figured out, because I don’t, I just don’t like a lot of the stuff I’m seeing out there, it’s not good! (hope this makes the guy who called me out below happy). But anyway. Yes, some of the tips in here have proven incredibly valuable to me and I thank the providers of those tips very much. Here is my tip to add, and this totally applies to driving your car as well. If you see a dinged up / dented up car, like many different dings/dents, really make a note to watch out for that person, because they run into things with their car and don’t give a fuck, and they will run right into you too. Ok bye
  2. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    I feel comforted that a guy with 1.5 yrs of experience on a Grom knows more than the accumulated wisdom of many over 145 pages of thread.
    Boatbandit, LukyDvll and CowboyFatBob like this.
  3. Hima

Hima n00b

Oddometer:
    I said there was some very, very great valuable info in this thread. Starting out on a small, slow, easy to manage motorcycle is good advice for a new rider, is it not? Vs starting out on a 500lb bike that goes 100mph? Would you rather I did the 2nd thing? Can you not agree that there is tons of poor and misleading info in this thread? And that there are lots of awful moto habits out there in the streets happening every day. I want to be a really good, responsible rider that is a good representative for all of us out there. You just think I’m some kook. That’s ok man. Do what you gotta do. I won’t argue on here anymore, I just think that the things I said are worth reading and thinking about and new riders (say me 1.5 years ago) could maybe learn a couple things from the things I said (start on small bike, don’t be a cocky asshole out on the road and make us all look bad), hence the reason for this whole thread
  4. Motorius

Oddometer:
    What I think is really pretty irrelevant as you appear to think you’ve got it all worked out and understood in 18 months.

OTOH, at 3.5 yrs as a returning rider in my late 50’s what I’ve managed to figure out is there is always more to learn, always room for improvement, and plenty of teachers everywhere if you pay attention.
  5. Hima

Hima n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok, I guess I should have wrote in my original post, “yes I am a new rider, and I feel like in life, you are never a master of anything, just always a disciple. The learning never stops.” Because that is how I feel, I for sure don’t think I have it all figured out. I am just a very observant and judgemental person, and I don’t like a lot of what I see out there. I’m gonna edit my post though to add that, to make you happy.
  6. Motorius

Oddometer:
    You don’t have to make me or anyone else happy.

Let me share a story with you.

I have 2 sons, with one son working for a utility in a pre-apprentice program. In plain English he’s overpaid to do what a monkey could do while he awaits his chance to ‘move up’.

This past weekend I ran into a guy at a wedding party that both my son and I had the chance to speak with by phone some months back. Did/doing the same program. Now two years into apprenticeship so probably 4 years ahead of my son.

He shared a number of things he thought would help my son in the future as he moves up and into real apprenticeship.

The one piece of advice he repeated several times was ... be humble. That no matter what he thought he knew, he really didn’t know jack. And that the guys who couldn’t be humble washed out or were forced out in no time.

Think about it.
    CowboyFatBob likes this.
  7. Hima

Hima n00b

Oddometer:
    So I should just be ok with people going way too fast splitting lanes while wearing zero protective gear, obnoxious loud pipes, cocky people with brash bad behavior making all of us look bad? Shouldn’t noobs in this thread be taught that is all bad stuff that you should not emulate? That’s why I mentioned it all, because I am a noob, I have observed all this shit behavior, and I wanna say to the other noobs trying to read this thread “HEY DONT DO THAT STUFF. WE SHOULD BE GOOD MOTORCYCLISTS, NOT SPEEDY ASSHOLES” . Sorry to come in hot, but this thread seems very difficult for a noob to navigate unless they have tons of patience to sift thru it all. I’m down with message board reading so I will read thru a super long thread, but lots of people don’t have the patience to do that.
  8. MauiCowie

MauiCowie Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should read posting nOOb thread too. It will teach you that paragraphs are your friend.
    LukyDvll and neanderthal like this.
  9. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    My advice on how to make the thread more informative than what you seem to think is the case, don't just criticize it with a blanket statement like above.

As there is apparently so much bad advice it should be very easy to list several key bits of really bad advice to back up your statement. Highlight several examples of this 'really bad advice' and I'm sure an interesting informative discussion is sure to follow.
    LukyDvll, Traxx and neanderthal like this.
  10. Gil Favor

Gil Favor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And this is how another couple of pages of mud are added to an informative thread.
  11. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    "Speed Kills" is nothing more than a marketing hype mantra, & it's bullshit. It's not the speed, it's the sudden stop. Some of my worst injuries have come from crashing my trials bike at 0mph.

If the highway patrol were truly interested in getting us to slow down, they wouldn't hide & use instant-on radar. Those are nothing more than revenue generators.
    LukyDvll likes this.
  12. j21a2t89

j21a2t89 Lurking Noob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speed does kill when used in excess for the current conditions.

A fixed arbitrary speed limit that cannot take into account lighting, grip, technological advancements or skill is bullshit. But that is CSM territory.
  13. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy Riding a dangerously quiet bike.

Oddometer:
    I was reading the thread about the most dangerous traffic to ride in, but my contribution fits this thread much better. I would say...

The most dangerous traffic in the world is any traffic that we fail to give our full attention to.
    neanderthal and Motorius like this.
  14. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?

Is that what he said? That you should be "ok" with all those things? You were very right when you said you're judgemental. I'd add hard headed without knowing anything else about you.

What he said was "be humble." PERIOD. "Don't assume you know more than you know. Learn from anyone and everything." That's literally exactly what he said, but you chose to try and twist what he said. I sense you're one of those guys who must always be right. Or always have the last word. That's how you come across. Be humble.

You've done well by observing arsehole behavior from other motorcyclists and saying "that's not cool." Keep that energy. It'll come in handy. More importantly, learn from it.

What's there to learn from it? Well, what would the opposite action do? Loud pipe/ quiet pipe. Arsehole rider lane splitting and kicking cars that aren't giving enough room/ someone patiently waiting their turn to slip through and acknowledging the driver that finally saw them. You can be a good ambassador for the sport to the public without being an arsehole to other riders who's methods you don't approve of.

I lanesplit and filter when I want to. I live in Texas. It's illegal to do so. Very anti social behaviour, right? Here is is someone who openly is an arsehole in traffic and here online to you, lecturing you. Where the fuck does he get the nerve? Well two months ago I was rear ended waiting at a traffic light. Here in Texas. Filtering to the front of the traffic light is for my safety. Does that put my behavior in a different light?

I hope you're getting what i'm saying. Welcome to ADVrider, one of the best motorcycling forums around. Don't be an arsehole. Be safe out there.

Edit. Paragraph breaks, please, for the love of loud pipes not so loud pipes and responsible motorcycling.
    And wear ATGATT. It literally saved my life. (well, technically my moms frequent, fervent prayers did, but i'm sure the ATGATT helped.)
  15. FreeTimeinTX

FreeTimeinTX n00b

Oddometer:

And the same to those who write like this... I'm sure you can figure out the lines I'm referring to.

Clearly you haven't figured it out...
  16. seaduck100

seaduck100 You just got smoked by an old guy on a cb500x

Oddometer:
    I think that it is a good idea to telegraph your stops. Tap your brakes ... ... before you start to reduce speed. That can wake up people following you that you are going to brake.
    Like the other folks said, "look where you want to go." This applies to more than riding a motorbike.
    neanderthal, NSFW and Motorius like this.
  17. LukyDvll

LukyDvll n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m sorry. That sounds miserable.
    Good luck with your condition.
    FreeTimeinTX likes this.
  18. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You make some good points. There are people out there who give us a bad name by riding irresponsibly, with open pipes (I like to say that loud pipes are the equivalent of putting socks down your pants. Feel free to agree or disagree :-)). In my opinion though, these are minority of riders, less than a tenth of the whole. I personally don't ride with people like that. If they join a group I'm in, I simply leave, without fuzz.
    As for the quality of information. When you get many peoples opinions, you're bound to get bad ideas in between the good ones. But these are peoples opinions, based on their different experiences. Everyone is trying to help and you just have to sift through them to get results that fit your experience.
    Just counter those "pricks" by modeling your behaviour to show riders best attributes. I hope politeness and good behaviour will prevail.
    Tool.Nerd likes this.
  19. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    For "new" riders, and also some seasoned riders as well~
    It can pay rich dividends to inspect/look over your motorcycle often. Every ride? That depends on what your goal is.
    It does a couple things.
    1. It helps you become more familiar with your motorcycle, and
    2. You can plan for upcoming expenditures. Things like brake pads/tires/oil changes are things that should be planned for in advance.
    3. If you notice something "not quite right" you can address it sooner, rather than later. Hopefully reducing the chances of a catastrophe.

Not comfortable turning your own wrench? There are literally hundreds of yootoob videos for guidance on mechanical devices. Quite possibly the exact process you have before you. Ask questions to other riders too. They rarely will want to steer a noobie in the wrong/dangerous direction.
    Rippin209 likes this.
  20. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    I don't really get what happened here. I felt this guy came here looking for some beginning advice and had more patience than me because he read the whole thread, which is far more than I could accomplish. He made some great points which are great observations for his relatively short time riding. There was honestly some garbage and repetition in the thread. I agree. I didn't see him being un-humble about it. But maybe I missed that part.

As for the grammar, yes, paragraphs help, but I'm general I saw better writing form than I see typically from 99% of the folks who run the nuclear industry, so maybe I have excess patience with that.

I feel we (as a forum) were a bit rough on the dude with some of the previous posts, and the post I quoted seems to have been the most positive reaction...

@Hima Sounds like you did well choosing a Grom and riding it a bit. I would like to point out, I recommend reading https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto Specifically, the all the articles on the sub-pages on there of "New Riders," "Protective Gear," and "Riding Techniques." Now, before someone tells me "He doesn't have a Ninja 250, dumbass," or "Oh, that's great advice for someone with less than 10 miles on their odometer," or "Don't post on our forum again until you have a higher post count," (which was genuinely said to me on TriumphRat once), I've been riding for decades now but I STILL routinely find good stuff in the Ninja250 faq/wiki page. In fact, after a rather "unique" parallel parking situation a few weeks ago, I referenced the page on parking so I would know quickly what to do next time. Additionally, when I bought my Aerostich Classic on eBay a few months ago, I referenced the Protective Gear's pages specific to the Aerostich...

@Hima again, bear with us. There's good stuff in these forums. This is the only forum I've stuck with. For the record, the "Stupid questions people ask you when stopped" thread is a good binge read and you'll inevitably identify with some of the victims of these questions....

Agreed. Hopefully I haven't contributed too much to the mud. Maybe "Consult https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto even if you don't have a Ninja 250," is enough of a contribution that makes up for some of my above fluff.