Most Important Things to Know For a Motorcycling n00b.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by MotoMusicMark, Mar 26, 2010.

1. ATadam

ATadam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An accident could happen that isn't your fault in any way, shape or form, sometimes shit happens and people are idiots on the road and there was nothing you could do to avoid the situation, so wear all the gear all the time no matter how quick of a trip down the road you're planning.
    Motorius likes this.
  2. Hopin

Hopin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That can go both ways. A few days ago, I was looking where I wanted to go and nearly eat the rear of a car! My turn was in about 20 feet, I had committed to the turn when the car I was following stopped in about 15 and caught me by surprise! :doh
    I find heavy stop and go traffic to be the most challenging for me to ride in.
  3. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
  4. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Turn signals. Use them.

But never be surprised that others don't.
  6. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    And don't forget to turn them back off.
  7. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, in city riding leaving your indicator on can be deadly. Where I live people will assume you ARE turning and WILL pull out.

So on my city commuter bike I've wired a water proof beeper to both turn signal wires (with a diode in each wire so current only flows one way), earthing into the brake light circuit (so it doesn't beep when either the front or rear brake is applied e.g. sitting waiting to turn), and an appropriate rate resister in the circuit to get the desired volume. Things are LOUD without the resistor to bring the volume down. Just used trial and error to get the right size resistor/volume (things are dirt cheap). There's a switch in the circuit if I want to turn it off. But as I only use this bike in the city I never do.

Works brilliantly I reckon, can't forget to turn them off.
    Rippin209 and HuntWhenever like this.
  8. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Clever and effective :thumb. My current rig has self-cancelling turn signals which I have really liked.
  9. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Whats a "learning wife" is that like a learner bike?
  10. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    I figure that if my head isn't enough in the game to remember to turn my signals off then I shouldn't be out there on the bike.

edit: to expand that thought a bit and direct it at the topic of the thread; something to know for a noob is when not to be out there. I can think of many days, hell, even years, when I wasn't in a good enough head to ride safely. it isn't good enough to be excellent at defensive driving, one needs to be superlative+. Life throws shit at ya and sometime ones mind is elsewhere. Not remembering to turn off your turn signals is a warning sign. I agree, it can create a dangerous situation, although if someone can pull into your path you STOP. You're invisible, remember? I don't sweat a turn signal in that situation, hell I only use them as a legal technicality and to be polite. Invisible vehicles don't have turn signals.
    PlainClothesHippy likes this.
  11. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I started to write a reasonable response, then though why bother for such a crock of total shit!
  12. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.

Oddometer:
    Quoted for truthfulness.
    I am convinced that my turn signal is the most likely thing to bring about my untimely demise as a rider.
    I once parked the bike after a spirited ride because I had an overwhelming feeling that if I rode I would die if I continued. Three months later I checked her over and took to the street again. I never regretted that hiatus.
  13. PlainClothesHippy

Oddometer:
    I am curious about your reasoning. I've valued your opinions in the past.

Aside from the stopping thing. I'd never ride if I stopped for every potential hazard.
  14. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    My reasoning that its a crock of shit is no more complicated than it is a crock of shit. Even the best of riders can occasionally forget to cancel their indicator.
    Motorius likes this.
  15. PlainClothesHippy

Oddometer:
    Understood. From my end, I know that there have been rides where I have made that error repeatedly, while many times I have not. That's why it rings a bell for me.
    JohnCW likes this.
  16. Plaka

Oddometer:
    I suggest that a noob not give advice to other noobs.

BTW, all you said was "What a crock of total shit!". You forget it comes through in the email before you edit it. Now go get your diaper changed, you're grumpy.
  17. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Imagine riding down residential street. A station wagon is backing out of a driveway mid-block. If they see you at all what are they going to think of your signal? You are going to turn into them? You are headed strait through an intersection and there is an oncoming car signalling a left. Very high probability crash situation. many get killed by this one. Worried about your turn signal? They are going to cross your path. Me, I go full brakes and full horns. (and I have dual horn buttons) I would rather over react and live to ride another day.
  18. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Use your signal. All the time. It's not for YOUR benefit it's for THEIRS. You're telling them what you're going to do, not asking permission. So if they notice and react appropriately, great, isn't it nice when a plan comes together? If they don't notice or don't act appropriately - well, shit happens. You were going to make your maneuver safely anyway (right?). So if your plan was thwarted (which it could be, signal or no signal), you just segue smoothly into Plan B, the avoidance maneuvers you already had ready to go, right?

If your plan is to use your signals in this situation but not that one, there will come a time when your brain sees that you're in this situation but your thumb thinks you're in that one and forgets to turn it on. And if you rely on it being on but it's not, well, if you're lucky nothing bad happens. If you're lucky. Just use it Every. Single. Time.
    willfreely likes this.
  19. Plaka

Oddometer:
    I keep my thumb connected to my brain but I'm only speaking for myself. Methinks if I can turn the signals on Every. Single. Time then I can turn them off Every. Single. Time. too.

JCWs point was this is not true for him so he rigged up a gizmo for when the off connection failed.

I suppose I shouldn't comment that he has 9 other fingers disconnected too...
  20. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I have documented brain damage. Sometimes my turn signal finger works, sometimes it don't. Get out of my way.
    Buildzall likes this.