Most Important Things to Know For a Motorcycling n00b.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by MotoMusicMark, Mar 26, 2010.

1. magnussonh

magnussonh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "Straights are for fast bikes. Turns are for fast riders."
    "The older you get, the faster you were."
    "A meteorite hitting your bike is an accident; anything else is rider error."
    "Riding a motorcycle is like sex. All men think they are good at it."
    Buildzall, Rippin209, BJMoose and 2 others like this.
  2. bones454

bones454 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    • 5 – Keys.
    • Aim High in Steering. Look 15 seconds into your future. ( ...
    • Get the Big Picture. Look for Hazards. ( ...
    • Keep Your Eyes Moving. Don't stare. ( ...
    • Leave Yourself an Out. Monitor the space cushion around you and your bike.
    • Make sure They See You. ...
    • The five characteristics of defensive driving are:
    • Knowledge.
    Buildzall and Rippin209 like this.
  3. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever It turns out you can't delete your account...

Oddometer:
    This IS a great thread. It's this forum I'm suggesting new riders avoid, because all the arguing and abuse gives a false sense of what the sport is about.

Judging by the tone of your post, though, I'd say you're more than ready. Ride safe and have a happy new year.
    Buildzall and JohnCW like this.
  4. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    given I restarted riding 3 yrs ago, yeah, the older I’ve been getting the faster I’ve been getting!
  5. GhostRiderKulak

GhostRiderKulak Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My advice, though I am probably repeating some or all of it:

1) Practice riding skills and learn new ones constantly; Threshold braking, trail braking, counter-steering, emergency counter-steering, tight u-turns, figure 8s (find a parking lot and just practice them over and over) defensive riding, anticipating dangerous situations.. all of these skills practiced build to a better unconscious understanding of how you and your bike handle and may save your life but will definitely make your riding more enjoyable.

2) Figure out what kind of riding style actually suits you; Some guys like feet forward cruising, Some like crouched over sportbikes, most of us (myself included) prefer a more neutral "standard" position which almost all ADV bikes are... don't try to be sport bike squid if you aren't, same thing with some cruiser ergonomics. Bleh.

3) Create space around you, give yourself options to handle situations... and sometimes this means using your right wrist to put yourself well ahead of potential hazards.

4) Use your turn signals, and turn them back off. Use your horn as needed, don't forget its there.

5) Take motorcycle safety courses, the insurance discount is nice but in the advanced classes you might just learn something new.

I'll end it there, but really there is no shortage of riding advice... not that I even follow all my advice.
    DKCJ, Buildzall and 3rdeng like this.
  6. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    For the record, and not that it counts for much, but I really like this. Item 2 is interesting especially--this can actually change over time. You may feel one style works better and as you ride more, you may desire a different style.

Also Item 3. I like to play out scenarios. Like, if this guy drifted into my lane, what's my escape. If that guy suddenly brake checked me because he just hated the world, what's my path? Don't play these out too long, of course, because everyone's plan lasts until they get hit.
  7. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    You should follow far enough back that if someone brake checks you all you have to do is put on your own brakes and slow down. You should not require a path. Many riders tailgate, maybe thinking they can stop faster than a car. They can't, it's a matter of physics.
    DKCJ, Motorius, Buildzall and 2 others like this.
  8. Ringosdad

Ringosdad Pennsyltucky hillbilly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Read “proficient motorcycling “ and “more proficient motorcycling “ by David Hough. A must!
  9. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    Sluagh,

I think I'm on board with what you're saying and why, but I respectfully disagree. If someone brakes strongly with no real reason other than to affect your ride, my preference is to place them in the rear view mirror as efficiently, but safely, as possible.

I've often questioned if this is appropriate since they could easily screw up my ride from behind, but usually the brake check folks are hoping I'll run into them and buy them a new bumper, and usually too much of a weenie to be trying to rack up a manslaughter charge by ramming me off the road.

Respectfully,
    tool.nerd
    Rippin209 likes this.
  10. gone2seed

gone2seed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ...and when all else fails.Know how to answer : “ Damn thing has only got two wheels! It’s bound to tip over once in a while.”
  11. JamesHTrotter

JamesHTrotter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spiritual lessons from riding!
  12. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
  13. Buildzall

Buildzall Rooster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fact... bikers think they can brake faster and tailgate much more.

Fact... bikes dont stop faster

https://advrider.com/riding-basics-stopping-can-you-do-it-as-quick-as-you-think/

14. suber1959

suber1959 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks for unravelling this myth. I can not agree more with the statement.:clap
  15. suber1959

suber1959 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. Motorius

Oddometer:
  17. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    I have to disagree. The bike has it's CG and the rider has another. The two are coupled either at the seat or the pegs (or some of both, depending on gender). When you rise on the pegs (a little or a lot) the coupling moves downward completely to the pegs and the bike CG is free to float below the rider CG. the effective CG of the system is lowered although the total mass is the same.
    HuntWhenever and sluagh like this.
  18. j21a2t89

j21a2t89 Lurking Noob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not particularly, one year jail sentence and 3 year ban.
  19. Motorius

Oddometer:
    well that really sucks.
  20. j21a2t89

j21a2t89 Lurking Noob Supporter

Oddometer: