Most northern point reach in motorcycle in Eastern North America

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by kawasnikov, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Jack90210

Jack90210 quia ego nominor leo

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great ride. :thumb

I really like what I have seen of Quebec (mostly along the St. Lawrence, and the Saguenay area), and hope to do some riding up towards Labrador City one day.
  2. K2ride

K2ride Single track mind!

Oddometer:
    Yep,
    What he says!
    :baldy

Btw,
    If any of you out there knows the designer of the 4 Magura KTM950 slave clutch cylinders I`ve had the honor of going through, please set me up a meeting with the guy;
    ...it`ll only take a few seconds of his time since I`ve had the chance to condense the issue into a very short ''résumé'' while doing the 400km ''back home'' stretch of ''loaded to the hilt clutchless riding'' at the height of ''tourrist season'' along the St-Lawrence. river. :augie
  3. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Hi Daniel! :wave

Hope things are going okay for you (aside from the clutch issues) :beer

Are your boots still white? :D
  4. BriKielyGSman

BriKielyGSman BigBadBri

Oddometer:
    Hey!! How come the rest of us werent invited on your little rail trip!??

I never really thought of using rail lines to get to remote places. It looks like a real challenge and it is certainly a different type of ride.

Thanx for the report. I really enjoyed it.
  5. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Yes sir!
    That was one heck of an Adventure. :eek1

Riding in the Railroad tracks - that's simply nuts.
    I never would have planned that, but you and your bike survived.
    Good job.

Now go over and tighten every bolt on your bike. The poor thing must have had the heck beaten out of it.

Q~
  6. tedmarshall

tedmarshall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kawasnikov:

So you diverted your route at Esker heading north up the gravel road from the Trans-Lab (500) to the Q&NSL RR roadbed? Wow. Wish I'd thought of it. Now that's an adventure! How far did you have to travel on the rail bed? Did the Esker road take you up and over the Smallwood Reservoir via a causeway? I realize now this isn't a smart solo trip given the distances and circumstances. Would you ever consider repeating this trip or a variation of it? I do speak French.

Envious,
    Ted Marshall
    Chicago USA
  7. kawasnikov

kawasnikov Tire eater

Oddometer:
    I only have to finish tightening the bolts and nuts on the bike, oh yes and welding a new muffler bracket. If you ever attemps this trip. Have you bike and luggage as light as possible.
  8. tedmarshall

Oddometer:
    We could do Schefferville AND the new Trans-Lab section to Cartwright. At least as far as it goes. While in Schefferville we'd have to go fishing. Then you'd be good with your family. I'm game for the trip.
    Ted
  9. kawasnikov

kawasnikov Tire eater

Oddometer:
    Ted,

Not a bad idea to go fishing. What's your ride (bike)? Do you already have a schedule ? There's certainly more to see then Schefferville. But the caribou (reindeer) steak worth the detour.:wink:

I think i did'nt read your title, June can be too soon because of the snow. Yes, it's 54th parallele.
  10. ldeikis

ldeikis Dirty daydreamer

Oddometer:
    :clap

Congratulations. I read about that possibility when Mark Van Horn et al tried heading up there and have been daydreaming about it ever since. Who's going to bushwack that last leg of the translab, now? I know they say it's not even a path through there yet, but seeing glimpses of the old jeep track along the TLH sure gets the mind wondering.

Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

Luke
  11. IDScarecrow

IDScarecrow Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! :eek1 Note to self: don't attempt to do a long ride on the rail bed. Yikes.

So, I think you could have avoided all those flat tires if you just popped up and rode on the rail - how hard could it be, it looks pretty straight. :ricky
    :evil

By the way, that is really cool picture of a really interesting dam. Here is a pic I found on the net of it in daylight:

[​IMG]
  12. tedmarshall

Oddometer:
    Kawasnikov:

Well I have a 650 V-Strom but I'd probably take my KTM LC4. I'm eager to return to Labrador. When I was there in 2005 in June the bugs weren't that bad. Plus you get all the extra daylight. Last night looking at my Quebec maps, isn't it a pisser there isn't a road between Schefferville and the Caniapiscau Reservoir!? We could ride from Schefferville to Brisay. Maybe's there's a way?
    In any event. I am not wedded to a schedule, no. What would be good for you? I am flexible.

Ted
  13. Motopilot

Motopilot Motopilot

Oddometer:
    If they aint worth livin with, go enjoy the landscape. Awesome. Loved your post, thanks.
  14. West Coast Mags

West Coast Mags Parlor Snake

Oddometer:
    Great report, I enjoyed reading it!
  15. captain crunch

captain crunch huckleberry Supporter

Oddometer:
    Incredible ride report.:thumbup I have ridden rr tracks before and it is amazing how the ride smooths out with speed. I can't imagine doing that for more than a couple of miles. It's real white nuckle riding.
  16. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

Hiya, Huck! :wave

Should we find some tracks for our next SLUTs ride? :D
  17. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report!
    I've ridden the tracks short distances and crossed them. One of the last that stands out in memorywas when two of us were crossing on TM 400 Suzukis. Got one across,then when we were moving the second a train came around the bend. Open class motocrossers get really light when the engineer lays on the HORN!:lift
  18. RobH

RobH Don't tase me bro

Oddometer:
    What's the deal with you guys and railroad tracks? Not only dangerous, but you could get arrested if the coppers saw you.
  19. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea we saw you guys a Walmart, good report, sounds like a great trip
    [​IMG]

20. tv guy

tv guy Commuter

Oddometer:
    Wow, great ride :clap

There don't seem to be many ride reports from eastern Canada thanks for sharing yours with us.