Most Significant New Adventure Bike for 2020?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Different Spokes TV, Feb 9, 2020.

1. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've owned a few DRZs, this one I've owned for 10 years is the strongest runner. Stock they are a little anemic but carbed well they do just fine. Mine is used 99% off road and it certainly holds its own there. Single track, tight track, is a little tougher, it really isn't meant to work well there. The DR has a huge following, isn't everyone's cup of tea. However, comparing it in any way to a KLR displays a real lack of knowledge.
    Sorry if I picked your scab!
  2. Propfrwrd

Propfrwrd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are some great deals on 2018 and 2019 Africa Twins right now.
  3. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm anxiously waiting for the new Tiger 900 GT and Rally models. Triumph is so slow bringing them here to North America.
  4. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Local dealer strongly suggested paying the difference for the new Africa twin, said there were many upgrades that made it a far better bike
    cyclopathic likes this.
  5. Propfrwrd

Oddometer:
    I suppose it depends on your budget, needs and what you want. I picked up a 2018 Africa Twin DCT in November for $13k, while a 2020 AT DCT is $17,500.

The new one is a bit lighter, has a bit more power and fancy TFT display with Apple Carplay, but I couldn't justify paying a 35% premium over the 2018/9. I'm ecstatic about the bike- added some SW Motech Sysbags, skidplate and engine guard for under $1200 and happy as a clam with what I have.

$4500 is a lot of farkles and put me in a much better negotiating position with management. If budget isn't a a problem, dive in and grab a 2020 AT Adventure Sports for $20k, add another $3-5k in farkles and don't look back! They're a fantastic bike and although there's a learning curve, the DCT is great.
  6. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree, that is a lot of extra coin for the 2020. I always buy used anyways, usually great bike, farkled, for about 1/2 new. While I might like new then I have also deal with the added stress of the first scratches, which I don't do well with.
    I might be too old to do the DCT but it does kind of sound like a great idea, one less awkward thing to do when standing.
  7. Propfrwrd

Oddometer:
    All good points, and this is the first new bike I've bought. I was millimeters away from putting a deposit down on a T700, took the AT out for a test ride, and was done! Compared the manual to DCT, and while it was a tough choice, the DCT was just too slick. You have to drag the rear brake instead of clutch- takes getting used to, but is very effective. The crazy shift speed, smooth power delivery, stop and go traffic and auto blips on the downshift sold me. I find I now concentrate more on what's coming, not what's happening now.

For $13k, a 2019 AT is pretty tough to beat.

We're certainly spoiled with choices right now.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  8. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are and M/C are still the lowest cost r and r I have participated in. If your handle means prop forward, you likely know what I mean.
    Propfrwrd likes this.
  9. Propfrwrd

Oddometer:
    So long as you're tight five, we understand one another ‚úč
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's because they didn't have 790 ADV next to it.. not that I am on a market for either.
  11. Propfrwrd

Oddometer:
    I was teetering between the two, but if went 790, I would've wanted the Adventure R which is up closer to $16k.