Most Winding Roads Around the World

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by bole982, Mar 25, 2012.

1. bole982

bole982 n00b

Oddometer:
    Usually in the mountains the roads are winding due to the unfavorable terrain for building. Also, these roads provide fabulous views of the surroundings and because of that many travelers love to ride through these areas. This is a list of 12 of the most winding roads around the world.
  2. NoDad

NoDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's cool. I'll be riding some of them this summer when traveling through the alps. :D
  3. miguelito

miguelito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful! 12 new roads on the bucket list.
  4. zachb

zachb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This part of the Mandalay- Lashio road is between Pyin Oo Lwin and Kyaukme in Shan State Myanmar. It is near the famous Goteik Viaduct.
    here is the map
  5. RTLover

RTLover Long timer

Oddometer:
    The approach to Stelvio in the photo is the most difficult of the three. However, the one that Top Gear raved about is the one that is on the south side of the mountain, leading to Bormio. It is a fun ride but is by no means difficult for any experienced rider. There is even a scheduled municipal bus that does the track in the photo a few times a day. Meeting it on a curve on the way up can be a serious pucker moment.
  6. the Pheasant

the Pheasant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those switchback passes are fun but a bit repetitive IMO. The south side of the Grimsel pass down to Gletsch isn't very long and is arguably less scenic than the nearby Nufenen pass.

My fave European twisty is in Italy between Bologna and Florence; not the A1 motorway but the SS65 back road over to the east that crosses the Futa and Raticosa passes. It's about 100km and can take up to 2 hours ridden steadily, less if you really want to. Back in the '50s it was part of the route of the Mille Miglia road race. Well worth a detour if you are anywhere nearby.
  7. TorontoDude

TorontoDude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    how about something more local for us penny poor riders who aint going to make to Europe or Asia?
  8. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those roads have spectacular beauty and I'm sure they are a blast to ride. If I ever get the chance, I will ride some of those roads. When it comes to sheer twistiness however, there are numerous roads in the mountains of the south eastern U. S. that have far more curves per mile. Deal's Gap is by far the most famous of those roads but there are other that are even more tight and twisty.
  9. abnslr

abnslr rides a motorcycle

Oddometer:
    I wish I'd read that a week ago. I just rode from Innsbruck to Florence on Sunday and, while avoiding the big Brenner bridge, took the autostrade for the entire stretch in Italy. :becca
  10. freetors

freetors Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love mountain roads but those endless switchkacks would get old quick. I can do u-turns like that in a parking lot. The one from china looked cool though, a good mix of switchbacks and sweeping curves.
  11. RTLover

RTLover Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

Maybe I'm getting too old or just BTDT for the multi-hairpin roads. I like the sweepers where you can get up some speed, like on the Julier Pass near St. Moritz. If you get back to Tuscany, try the S12 between Lucca and Modena.
  12. davori

davori n00b

Oddometer:
    Went up and down the Stelvio Pass twice, it's OK... The roads leading to it and in the region are generally far superior if you want fun riding.
  13. filmfan

filmfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure about southern Quebec or Ontario, but if you drop down into North Eastern NY, pretty much any place in VT, and over into NH, or western Mass. there are lots of curves and twisty's to be found. Little of it exactly world class, but fun, challenging in places, and close to home.
  14. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah seriously high mountains tend to make switchback roads, which are beautiful touring roads, but don't look too fun to ride (bunch of straight-aways connected by 1st gear U-turns).

I'll take the lower altitude bumpy mountains of the Southern Appalachians or Japan any day.

[​IMG]
  15. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Agree, slow speed switchbacks get old....beautiful scenery there, but not the greatest flow.
  16. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl

Most of our roads, New Zealand, are seriously curvaceous, some in the South Island almost as spectacular. The problem I found with the Alpine passes is getting to them, got to do a lot of motorway to get there.
    Come & visit us, we need the business!
  17. Idle

Idle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Post some ride videos please. Pretty slim pickins on YT.