Moto-Archeology Team Expeditions

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by dredman, May 15, 2020.

1. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:
    I did not understand exactly what I have been doing for the past decade until riding behind the latest member of the team yesterday. In fact, I did not even realize it was a "team" until then. Up until now I have called them "rides" - to ghost-towns mainly. A simple method of having an excuse to ride a motorcycle somewhere to do something interesting (besides drinking, eating & socializing). Destinations have ALWAYS been an important component of my riding, although never a requirement - riding has always been the primary mission. For many weeks now, the word archeology has been popping into my head, as much of my exploration involved research - pouring over records, maps, and essential interviews with witnesses, 1st-hand'ers, and others with access to records, photos, special knowledge and similar interests (History-Nerds).

Now while we do not dig in the soil, I feel that we are digging for truth, history, and stories of the past - which kinda makes us archeologists, despite lack of training or any discipline at all. Right? I mean, at least an Archeological Expedition sounds a WHOLE lot cooler than riding to check out some abandoned shit .......or am I wrong? I am sure that I am not the first dude on a motorcycle to do this, but I am hoping that we can put an interesting twist on the expedition, the stories, and ultimately attract others to doing the same thing. It has consumed me for the last few weeks, and adds many facets to my riding I was unprepared for.

Harrison-Ford-new-logo.png
    Gildus, IndigoSwann, Manny U and 2 others like this.
  2. dredman

Oddometer:
    The first official ride took place yesterday - a firetower. Sure, they are everywhere, but have you ever climbed one? I have! Don't expect much from this video, just a firetower, but the one coming up next is really cool - hints at the end of this video.

B10Dave, WRC51 and klaviator like this.
  3. ned37

ned37 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    oh crap! you are letting the cat out of the bag!
    now everybody will be out there.:dirtdog
    i've been using my dual sport / enduro bikes for archaeology for the 16 years i've live in az. before the guvmint started enforcing the travel management rule in 2008, i could ride off trail anywhere in our national forest. most of the interesting sites here are very remote and a bike is the best way to access them. i am part of a group of volunteers who monitor sites to keep track of them, making sure they don't get vandalized or letting nature have it's way to an early demise.
    it's a bit more difficult nowadays (like everything else) since it is now illegal to use motorized in a lot of areas (prob a good thing with the advent of side by sides...quads were bad enough).
    but still a lot of fun.
    Gildus and dredman like this.
  4. dredman

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I am not worried about that - you have heard that dual sports are not cool right? :)

If you are in AZ, you should hook up with my buddy azdesertdog, he does a lot of the same stuff I do out there. One of his last adventures:

5. dredman

Oddometer:
    Same day as last time, but a rail bridge over a river with some interesting history, a crash into the river, and some magnificent scenery to go with it.

Gildus, MYUMPH, klaviator and 3 others like this.
  6. Manny U

Manny U Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool beans, im in! :lurk
  7. mikerthebiker

mikerthebiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love the term Moto-archeology! I’m one, too. Also a bottle collector. Sounds way better than alcoholic!
    dredman likes this.
  8. dredman

Oddometer:
    Join us?

I started another thread searching for an abandoned railroad that is pretty cool, lots of riding in cool spots. I started that one before I started the A-Team, or I might have had them all in the same place?
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/abandoned-railroad-how-far-can-i-go.1441637/
  9. IndigoSwann

IndigoSwann Pirate

Oddometer:
    So what bike would Indianna Jones be riding today!?
    dredman likes this.
  10. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Royal Enfield Himalayan, or maybe a Ural with sidecar
  11. Gildus

Gildus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great concept...have been exploring pioneer sites & trails for years via dual sport.
    dredman likes this.
  12. dredman

Oddometer:

What a great question!

I am thinking, what would the university buy him, or maybe the museum? If it was a rich benefactor, it would be something awesome.

My guess is a Rokon
    2-WD
    Big, fat, go-anywhere tires
    Swamps, mountains, jungles, no problem

indy-rokon.png
    IndigoSwann and klaviator like this.
  13. dredman

Oddometer:
    And....if Rokon is following this thread......... PM me ? :y0!
    WRC51 and klaviator like this.