Moto camping in BC, any tips?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Atlas_Rider_62, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Atlas_Rider_62

Atlas_Rider_62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am planning a trip from Salt Lake city to Banff and Lake louise starting out on 9/16. Will be doing a big loop , wanting to visit Fernie, banff, lake louise, Glacier and see the Canadian Rockies. Would like to travel mostly scenic routes and avoid the super touristy areas. I would also prefer to camp as much as possible with maybe 2 or 3 nights out of my 10 days in hotels. Of course weather will play a part in my decision but I don't have any reservations yet.
    Also are bears or wolves a problem in this area? Any tips would be appreciated since I've never been in this area and will be solo.
    cal08 likes this.
  2. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Bring a warm sleeping bag as this is late for tent camping up here. Keep a very clean campsite and use the available bear boxes if in established campground. Otherwise no worries. I tent camp all the time up here. I have an airhorn and bearspray but have never needed the spray. This time of year the crowds are mostly gone so see what you want.
    CCitis likes this.
  3. CCitis

CCitis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be bear aware. I carry spray... make lots of noise, keep anything smelly (Food, toothpaste, deodorant, etc) hung up and well away from camp depending on where you are. Bring warm gear... It will be chilly as soon as the sun goes down... Like near freezing if not freezing in some areas of the mountains. Also, be prepared to get wet. I hope you have a good trip!
    Skootz Kabootz likes this.
  4. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just offering a plug for Mt. Fernie Provincial Park campground.It is a beauty. Just did a similiar tour like you are planning and it was hands down the nicest place I camped.

The Forestry Trunk logging road from Crowsnest to Canmore was pretty good too... off the beaten track and some pretty great views of the Rockies. Also consider Rogers Pass from Golden to Revelstoke. Great ride, huge mountains right beside you. Much nicer (IMO) than Lake Louise to Jasper. Try to to get to Nakusp (south of Revelstoke) into your loop as well as New Denver to Kaslo.

Safe travels!
    powderzone, Dan Diego and cal08 like this.
  5. GSGirl2013

GSGirl2013 n00b

Oddometer:
    As others mentioned, be prepared for the cold. Snow is a very real possibility up here mid-September, even at lower elevations.

Some nice easy gravel day trips from Fernie: Flathead fsr to Cabin FSR loop; Elk Lakes Prov Park out and back; loop up to Crowsnest Pass, through Blairmore to Lynx Creek (aka Sartoris Rd) to Beaver Mines, add on Burmis Rd to 22 if you still have time. Also stop at the Frank Slide Interpretive Center just east of Blairmore if you happen to be close by; Hartley Lake-Bull River FSR-Whiteswan FSR loop is also super nice but may be too long for the shorter days.

Fernie to Banff can be done in one day via the trunk road and paved highway 40 (spectacular northbound). Spray Lakes Road is an alternate to 40, but IMO 40 is best northbound especially south of Highwood Pass, and Spray Lakes is best southbound. Save Spray Lakes for the way home if you’re going that way.

Two Jack Lakeside is the best campground near Banff town IMO. Don’t confuse it with the not-as-nice Two Jack Main.

There are no gravel routes within the National parks. Hopefully the Icefields Parkway is on your ride list. It should not be missed. Doable as out and back from Lake Louise to Jasper. The Lake Louise campground is decent and protected with bear fencing around the perimeter.

If it’s Larch season, and visiting Moraine Lake is on your list, the place is a madhouse on the weekends. Go very early, like sunrise, before they restrict the access road daily to shuttles only. The shuttle may apply on weekdays as well. Inquire at the visitor Centre in the Lake Louise Village parking lot.

Golden is another good city to base camp. There are many good gravel out and back day trips from Golden...Beaverfoot FSR, Blaeberry FSR (inquire locally as I believe they constructed a bypass around the old road that had flood damage and the route may not be obvious), Bush Arm of Kinbasket Lake.

From Golden, you can start your trip home by heading west to Revelstoke, going through gorgeous Rogers Pass, then south to Kaslo either via Nakusp or the easy unpaved Trout Lake Road. Then south to Balfour, ferry to Kootenay Bay, down the 3A to Creston. Inquire locally or via the web regarding the ferry. Was and may still be closed due to a strike.

Enjoy your ride! Give us a report if you’re inclined after your trip.
    RickCO, powderzone, Argus16 and 4 others like this.
  6. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    These are all top notch comments and suggestions. These are all routes I'm familar with and none are wrong. have fun. You've picked a real nice part of the world to tour through.
    CCitis likes this.
  7. Atlas_Rider_62

Atlas_Rider_62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Checking the weather further and the bear warnings I decided to splurge and get hotel rooms for every night in BC. And I was lucky to find some good deals. I'll be in Radium Hot Springs, Revelstoke, then south through Nelson to some town near the border whose name escapes me at the moment.
    Unfortunately I only have 8 days to do the whole trip.. thanks for all the tips.
  8. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pm if you want some routes in and around Radium or further details on the area.
  9. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Considering the weather the last couple of days you probably made the right. Call. As much fun as camping can be , being rested and comfortable will make the trip more enjoyable. Getting up cold from a unrestfull night sucks the fun out of any trip.