moto gp

Discussion in 'Australia' started by gsjam, Oct 24, 2018.

1. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    The last lap is interesting. They cant enforce a ‘long lap‘. Jack and Pol last corner on the final lap for instance.
  2. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    They can and have taken a podium place off riders that infringe for advantage.
    In Pol and Jack's case I see it as quite different. A racing incident to avoid collision due to hard racing. Pol was certainly not trying to gain advantage he was avoiding a clash. If Jack had used the outside of the track to go around Pol, completely different story. Slap.
    The rules need to be applied with some sense. Which I think in that case they were. I'm sure there are clauses in the written word.
    This is why the penalties during the race are for cumulative transgressions, someone goes off the track by 6 inches once, he does not deserve a penalt. If he does it consistently, he needs to be pulled into line. Also why they have gone for an electronic system, the officials can not be expected to see every transgression and log them. No argument, you've exceeded track limits, say 6 times, your taking the piss, slap slap.

Seems fairly fair and sensible to me. Can seem unfair at the time, but we may not have seen the other instances leading up to the penalty.
    numbat, tripodtiger and Precis like this.
  3. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    can you remember a rider having a placing taken off them for exceeding track limits on the last lap? In the ‘green’ is very common on the last lap and many times not because they were avoiding a collision.

I dont disagree with the Jack and Pol running wide not getting a penalty but as ive said earlier plenty have gone wide on the last lap pushing as hard as they do yet no penalty applied.

Tony Arbolino, second in the last moto3. No penalty applied for ‘greening’ it on the last corner.
  4. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    Well that's the 'have a think about it' explanation. :thumbup
    The penalty needs to fit the infringement.

Used to be if you went off the track by 6 inches once, you were in the kitty litter. Very harsh, expensive and potentially dangerous penalty.

There is that school of thought about risk taking. If you think that there is some sort of protection, you're more likely to take a bigger risk. If that's true, decreasing the risk of crashing (through running wide) increases the risk taking by the riders. They go harder at entry because they've got a little more wiggle room.

Was someone docked a spot the previous week. Moto2 I think. Someone will know and I wont have to look it up.
    bigborett likes this.
  5. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Have a look at the last lap of the last moto3. Second placed T Arbolino. Admittedly we dont know of any accumulative priors.
    tripodtiger likes this.
  6. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Styria, Moto2. Martin exceeding track limits on the last corner was demoted and the victory given to Bezzecchi. It was marginal to say the least but if they didn't do it there would have been a protest anyway:dunno
    bigborett likes this.
  7. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    “If the FIM MotoGP™ Stewards deem a rider to have gained a clear advantage in one single track limit infraction, a penalty can be issued. This can vary from a Change of Position, a Time Penalty or a Long Lap Penalty. These instances are recorded but not included in the undetermined count, as a rider will already have been penalised for them.

At the Gran Premio Michelin® de Aragon and following consultation with the Safety Commission, it has been decided to update the protocol for track limit infractions that occur on the last lap of a race.

From now on, an infraction on the last lap that has affected a race result must indicate that the rider in question was disadvantaged by exceeding track limits. If the Stewards deem there is no clear disadvantage, the rider will be penalised with a change of position or a time penalty. This is to ensure that any rider exceeding track limits on the final lap must be in a worse position than the rider or riders with whom they are directly competing for a finish position.”

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2019/09/21/fim-motogp-stewards-update-track-limits-protocol/310039
    tripodtiger likes this.
  8. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Moto 2, was it two or three weeks ago.
    "
    Jorge Martin was robbed of a Styrian Grand Prix Moto2 victory after he exceeded track limits on the last lap, gifting a maiden win to VR46 rider Marco Bezzecchi."

So, yes.

Arbolino gained no advantage against his direct opposition. Stewards made the right decision.
  9. SaAdvRider99

SaAdvRider99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nogoodnamesleft and mrsdnf like this.
  10. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Millers videos always seem to put a smile on my face.
  11. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Many have not gained advantage yet have been given a long lap through accumulation. Can you provide stats to show Arbolino hasnt had an accumulation prior to running in the green? Are the stats avail post race? How can you say the stewards have made the right decision without knowing the stats? Do you understand what i am saying?

In the most part we are agreeing.

BTW, Martin was not “robbed” if he exceeded track limits.
  12. bigborett

Oddometer:
    "Robbed" was a quote Al not my words. Hence the quotation marks.

And no I can't provide stats, nor desire to.
    I think the last lap may be a clean slate, no to sure. You've got plenty of time on your hands at the moment Al, look it up?
  13. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    I think he's going to need a daily post count restriction, or broken fingers
  14. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    I wasn’t expecting you to provide stats. Just suggesting how hard it is to determine their thinking. Like you i dont have the desire to.

I know mate the quote wasnt yours. Just stating they got that wrong.
    bigborett likes this.
  15. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love his "half Italian" accent....
    tripodtiger likes this.
  16. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Clicking brings up this....

"Video unavailable
    This video contains content from Dorna Sports, who has blocked it from display on this website or application.
    Watch on YouTube"

FYI.
  17. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ta - just click the youtube link
    Precis likes this.
  18. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
  19. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler Supporter