Moto Guzzi 1994-1998 1100 Sport Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MedicAndy, May 15, 2018.

1. MedicAndy

MedicAndy It's not always easy being me!

Oddometer:
    I like to create a page to show off, talk about, and provide feedback on our Moto Guzzi 1100 Spot and Sporti's. I would like for other owners to list possible issues they had with their bike in general. Let that be with the engine or drivetrain, the Tuneup or engine setting recommendations, or any other issues you may had.

I will start this thread off with pictures of my bikes, and I will also start getting into some of the issues that I have had, and what the fixes were. Hope you guys enjoy my bikes, and I can't wait to see if others from around the world will contribute to this page.

Andy

IMG_8863.JPG
    fullsizeoutput_2053b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2054b.jpeg
    KeithU, Chillis, GAS GUY and 10 others like this.
  2. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Here are my two 1996 Carbureted bikes:

This is my 20k miles 1 of 14 blue 1996 1100 Carburetor bikes, which were send to the US by mistake in 1996. These 14 blue bikes were destined for Australia, but someone in Italy made a shipping destination mistake and send those bikes to the West Coast of America. I found this bike by pure luck, since I'm on the East Coast, and this bike was listed with no picture in a add out of Seattle. The asking price was US $2.5k, and I bought her for US $1.5k. This bike came with a new set of Micheline Pilot tires, Mistral exhaust and crossover. Sadly enough, this bike also came with a lot of small scratches, paint chips, and some minor fiberglass damage below the passenger seat, which is hidden by a decal! I was going to re-paint this bike in her original blue color code, but I am somewhat hesitant, since a bike is only original ones, and this bike was a rider, and not a trailer queen for all of her life, so I may just leave her as she is.....
    fullsizeoutput_2048b.jpeg

As with all things to good to be true, the right carb slide was stuck when I rode this bike for the first time, which filled the right exhaust with fuel, which ignited, and set my right pipe on fire, as can be noticed now by the burned pipe insulation. I was lucky that no other damage happened! I cleaned the carbs and ordered me a replacement Mistral insulation sleeve for the burned pipe from Mistral in Italy, so this pipe will be like new again soon.
    fullsizeoutput_203f2.jpeg

This is my 9k miles 1996 Silver 1100Spot. This bike came with the performance exhaust crossover, K&N pod filters, and newly powder coated wheels. I bought this bike from a gentleman out of Maine. I serviced this bike when I received her, and she rides absolutely perfect! She also came with a new set of Micheline Pilot tires.
    fullsizeoutput_200f5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_200ee.jpeg
    Chillis and Vertical C like this.
  3. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Here are two of my yellow 1997 Sporti's:

I bought this 1997 Sporti about two years ago. This bike was sitting in the woods covered under a tarp for seven years. Needless to say, this bike was not running when I bought her. This bike is in need of a full cosmetic restoration. I had to clean out the fuel tank, since the fuel turned into varnish over the years. I then either replaced (fuel pump, sensors, filter), or cleaned all other fuel system components. I then serviced the engine with new oil and filter, checked valve settings, new plugs, air filter, changed the gearbox oil, and looped the drive shaft. I installed a new battery, and this bike with 33k miles, sitting for seven years, fired up after the second push of the start button. I heard the fuel rush down into the fuel pump on my first attempt to start her up. I was really surprised that the engine came back to life without smoking or sputtering. I took her for a short ride in my subdivision, and everything worked as it should, except the rear brake, which needs the caliber rebuild. I have bought everything needed to restore this bike, but I have run out of time for now, since I'm going back to school for two years this fall, so this bike will sit again for two more years before she receives her overhaul! But, she is sitting in a nice stable this time, which keeps her out of the weather!
    fullsizeoutput_20506.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1fe3d.jpeg

This is my second yellow 1997 Sporti. This bike has 20k miles on the engine. This bike came with the Will Creedon ECU performance chip, K&N air filter, and a full Stainetune with crossover exhaust. I bought this bike also in non-running condition. The right cylinders injection system didn't receive a signal from the ECU, so she was only running on the left cylinder. This bike had been sitting in a climate controlled basement for the last twelve years, and her owner filled the fuel system up with jet fuel, which kept the tank from rusting, and that fuel also kept the remainder of the fuel system clean. I actually burned this fuel off after I got this bike running again. I was lucky that the issue with the right fuel injection system was only a bad electrical connection on the main ECU cable connector. This bike needed new tires, brake pads and rotors. The front fender was damaged, so I bought a new carbon fiber fender and had it painted. I also had the wheels, valve covers, and crash bars powder coated, since the wheels original coating started to flake off. I had a spare set of valve covers powder coated also in black, just to make them match with the wheels. I still have the perfect original silver valve covers, just in case that I didn't like the black, but I like the looks of the black, so they will stay with this bike. I will take this bike out for our first ride next week, and I hope that all will go well. This bike is fully serviced, the injectors are tuned and synchronized, she also has all new filters, plugs, and the engine and gearbox are serviced.
    fullsizeoutput_20593.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_20592.jpeg
  4. vicster

vicster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who else is going to contribute, don't you own them all??:D:D
  5. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Here are two of my red 1997 1100 Sporti's:

This is a bike that originally was imported from Germany by a Wisconsin motorcycle museum in the late 90's. This bike was on display at the museum until 2015, when the museum closed its doors. A friend and collector of mine bought this and six other bikes during the museums liquidation auction. I in turn bought then this bike from my friend, which started my 1100 Sport collection. This bike has now a little over 7k miles on the engine. This bike came with a Mistral exhaust, crossover, the Will Creedon performance ECU chip, K&N air filter, and polished valve covers and pork chops. This is one good looking bike. I can see why this bike was sitting in a museum! I installed new Micheline tires on this bike, serviced the gear box and drive shaft, tuned the engine and injectors, and replaced all oils and filters. This bike runs great. The only issues I had with this bike were two electrical relays. The lights stopped working, and the starter stopped responding. Both items were bad relays under the passenger seat, so I replaced all relays, and I had no more issues with this bike.
    fullsizeoutput_1fcf0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1fde9.jpeg

This 1997 Sporti started her life off as a factory yellow bike. Her owner wanted a red 1100 Sport back in 1997, but all available models were sold already, so he bought yellow bike and had her painted in a BMW red paint. This is one red bike! I do like this red, and I think that the red wheels make this bike stand out! This bike did have a lot of issues when I bought her. All of my 97's have "some" issues with the occasional hiccuping and coughing, which is sadly enough "normal" on the 97 EFI models. However, this bike hiccuped and cough so bad when I bought her, that she could not be ridden in her condition. Her last owner, who bought this bike back in 2002 from the original owner, didn't apparently know anything about on how to tune and to setup this bike. I also think that keeping up on a maintenance schedule was not a priority for him. Make a long story short, this bike came with a mistral full exhaust with crossover. I also got a spare gas tank, a complete maintenance hard-cover service manual, lots of spare parts, and, and, and..... However, this bike's engine was running rough, the brake pads and rotors were shot, and the tires had the metal bad showing ........

I gave this bike a complete tuneup, set the valves, new plugs, removed the Pod air filters and installed the original air box system with a K&N filter. We also serviced the gearbox and drive shaft, installed new tires, brake pads and rotors. I checked the ECU's chip, and it was the new Will Creedon performance chip. I did however also noticed that the last owner installed a Power Commander, which I removed. We then balanced any synchronized the injection system. This bike now runs good, but still not great. I still need to fine-tune the fuel system. I will also set the valve clearance on this bike to the recommended "Raceco" clearance of 0.20mm inlet, and 0.25mm exhaust, which is suppose to pretty much eliminate the hiccup and coughing / engine cutting off issues. I can't wait to see if this new valve clearance setting will do what other 1100 Sport owners told me it would do! I will advice on the outcome as soon as I find the time to set the valves on this bike. This bike has a little over 25k miles on the engine.

This is what the bike looked like (minus the new tires and brakes) after I bought her last year. The picture shows this bike with her last owner installed air pod filters.
    fullsizeoutput_20508.jpeg

This is what the bike looks like now with her new tires, brake rotors, and after I installed the original air box again last week. I also had the valve covers powder coated in black.
    fullsizeoutput_205cd.jpeg
  6. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    And this just in from San Francisco...... I picked up my newest stable companion from the shippers about two weeks ago. She is a 1997 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport, which is believed to be the lowest milage (with now 1391 miles on the clock) 1100 Sport in existence. She made the trip from San Francisco CA to Raleigh NC within five days and without any issues. The shipping company did a great job! I like the metal pallet that they used to strap and ship the bike to my home.

The 1994-1996 1100 Sports were painted in a true black paint. The 1997 Sporti was painted in the Italian Nero/Black metallic paint. This bikes paint looks black when looking straight at it, but changes into a Bronze when the light hits it in an angle. I really like this metallic black color. I don't know yet on what I am going to do with this bike, since I like to keep this bike looking as nice as she does now for years to come. This bike may end up on display in my home for now. I did take her out on a short ride last week, and she does ride great. This bike is all original except the crossover exhaust. I do have the original crossover for this bike.

fullsizeoutput_204c3.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_204c9.jpeg fullsizeoutput_20455.jpeg fullsizeoutput_204a2.jpeg
    L84dinr, Chillis, bykemike and 3 others like this.
  7. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Well, there were, according to the info I found, 1,771 Carbureted 1100 Spots build between 1994 - 1996, and 1,314 Fuel injected 1100 Sporti's in 1997, which gives you a total of 3,085 total unit production. I assume that maybe 1/3 of all build bikes have been lost to whatever reasons by now, so we still have about 2k bikes in running condition around the world, so my humble collection of only seven 1100 Sports does only (if my math is correct) account for a miserly 0.0035% of all 1100's out there, so there better be some other 1100 Sport owners out there who will respond one day.... :)

FullSizeRender.jpg
    Chillis likes this.
  8. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not judging in the slightest but my curiosity has the best of me. As an owner of multiple motorcycles myself I have to ask...why would you want a garage full of the same bike?
  9. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Nobody else will post in this thread because MedicAndy bought all the running 1100 sports in north America. :lol3
  10. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    I have more bikes, Yamaha, BMW, Suzuki, Honda..... sitting in the stables that I sometimes ride, but I always liked the looks of the 1994 - 1998 1100 Sports. I started the 1100 Sport collection off with the red 97 Wisconsin museum bike, and I liked the looks of this bike a lot as soon as I saw her for the first time. I then decided to get me another 1100 Sport as my main 1100 Sport rider, so that I would keep the miles down on the museum bike. So this let me to buy the 2nd red bike (which used to be a yellow bike) out of Michigan. I then, by dumb luck, saw the blue 1100 for sale out of Vancouver, and there was no way that I could not buy this bike. I then was told by a friend of mine here in Raleigh that he knew of a 97 yellow 1100 locally, which needed some TLC, so I bought that bike too. I then decided to either sell or trade my 1979 Yamaha XT500, since like most of my other bikes, I never ride this one either. I stated in the CL add that I would either trade the XT for a 1100 Sport, or I would just sell the bike. Either way was fine with me. I was actually looking for a 1100 Sport parts bike at that time. Well, someone contacted me who wanted to buy my XT, and that guy knew of another guy here outside of Raleigh in Wake Forest who had another yellow 97 sitting for years in his basement.... Needless to say, the Staintune exhaust and crossover installed on that bike sealed that deal. Another friend of mine, who is also a local bike builder and collector looked at the three different color bikes that I had sitting in the stable by now, and he told me that I only needed two more different colors, silver and black, and I would have every color of the 1100 Sport lineup, so the rest of this story is history.... I found the silver 96 in Maine, which now gave me my forth color. I had then been looking for over a year to find and buy me the last missing black colored 1100, until a Nero 1100 Sport came up for sale out of San Fransisco. The bike was listed three times on eBay, and the seller and I finally reached a selling price that we both were able to live with. This bike is probably the lowest milage, original, and in like new condition 1100 Sport in existence, so this "perfect" bike fittingly completed this collection.

I obviously didn't need all of the 1100's that I have, especially since I only ride two of them, and I probably don't ride a total of 1k miles between both of them together per year. My bikes are my hobby and stress reliever. I think that everybody should have something in his or her life that they can use as a stress reliever! I get emails every month asking me if I were interested in selling one of my bikes, which I like, since this shows me that people know the quality of bikes that I have sitting here. I also work in our local level 1 Trauma Center's Pediatric ED, so my bike collection relieves my stress most of the time when I take some time, sometimes, after my shift ends with either working, cleaning, or just looking at my bikes while listening to some good music. I also like the fact that my seven 1100's will be around hopefully long after I'm gone, since there are not that many of them left in pristine condition, and how cool would it be if my bikes would find their way one day back into a museum or on display at a Sports Bar..... ps: I never sold the XT500, since I realized that I could never replace this bike if she were gone..... Maybe I'm just a hoarder, or I should start taking meds to get my OCD under control...... :)
  11. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    I don't own them all "Yet"..... but I probably own around 3% of the 1100 Sports that were sold in the US. Moto Guzzi never sold this model in Canada. And it's ok if I'm the only owner who responds here, it'll be a nice way to keep up with my bikes...... :thumb

And I also assume that I'm not done yet with buying me another 1100 or two, or maybe three..... I don't think that I will ever get tired of looking or taking pictures of these bikes! My next project is going to take and make some 24" x 36" framed pictures showing my bikes in a landscape setting, or just parts of the 1100 Sport, as seen in the picture below.

fullsizeoutput_20596.jpeg
    Utrider1, KneeDrachen and Richy like this.
  12. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish I could find a nice one of these, I would ride it too not just hide it in a shed
    Geoff, DOGSROOT and MedicAndy like this.
  13. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Right on my friend!

I, as mentioned earlier, have too many bikes to ride them all. I have seen three of these bikes, two 1996 and one 1997, which were all lost last year due to the following reasons: The first Black 1996 fell pray to a theft, where the bike was set on fire after whomever stole it. The thief must have realized that they could never ride or sell the parts of this bike, due to the rarity of the 1100 Sport, but why burn it into the ground???? This bike belongs to someone I know and who is living close to my home here in NC. Sixteen other bikes that were also stolen from his collection have not been recovered as of now, except one frame from one of the other sixteen bikes, which was found next to his burning 1100 Sport.

fullsizeoutput_20405.jpeg

The 2nd lost 1100 Sport was a red 1997, which was totaled in an accident in NY.

The 3rd bike was sold out of PA to a chop-shop in Florida, who will turn that silver 96 into a cafe racer........

So yes, most of my bikes, not only the 1100 Sports, are locked up and hidden away in the stable, but I probable saved some of them from being either turned into parts bikes, since some of my bikes are worth 2X to 4X if being parted out from what I bought them for originally, and others would probably have been bought by people who would not have taken care of those bike the way I do, especially looking at the low cost that I was able to buy six of the seven 1100 Sports I own for. So, I see myself more of a safe keeper for now of the 1100's that I have sitting in the stable, until my bikes will possibly sold one day to someone else like me who understands and appreciate of what these bikes represent in motorcycle history to come.
    Richy likes this.
  14. tommyg

tommyg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree those are some of the best looking bikes ever made, I think you should trade me one for my GS, whats one less when you have 16 of them.
    MedicAndy likes this.
  15. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    I only have seven of the 1100 Sports, a friend of mine had his 1996 1100 Sport and 16 of his other bikes stolen last year.
    tommyg likes this.
  16. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why have so many of the same bike? It's like asking the purpose of candy. Candy HAS no purpose. That's what makes it candy! Read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory if that doesn't make sense to you.
    I think it's glorious what you have there!
    SocalRob, KneeDrachen and MedicAndy like this.
  17. epb

epb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scooterdoodler, Richy and MedicAndy like this.
  18. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    I was made aware of this bike about six weeks ago. This bike has a couple of issues which are questionable. The front fork is from a Daytona, which is not as good as the original 1100’s fork was. The “new” front fairing has a single round light, which is not something I like, but the original fairing will go with the bike, so it could be made original again. Another issue was with the gearbox. The seller is asking close to $4k for this bike, which would be an ok price, looking at the higher mileage, if this bike were original and didn’t have any issues. This bike "As Is" would be worth maybe $2k to me, and I would probably part this bike out..... Either way, I passed on this bike.

But yes, please let me know if you see any more for sale, especially if they are 97 fuel injected bikes! :)
  19. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    I know, I know...... there is a high possibility that this thread will be pretty much a "One contributor" thread, which is ok by me! I will use this thread as a "Work in Progress" personal diary of the issues that my bikes have or had, and hopefully the solutions I was able to implement to fix those issues. Some of the work that I will do on my bikes is going to be by trial and error, other forums, by failure mode analysis, and resurge from the web. Someone besides me will maybe find this info helpful too one day....

So here I go........

Problem:
    The engine is coughing & hiccuping at idle, which results in the engine cutting off. There is also the occasional coughing while riding, until the engine RPM's go above 3k.

Possible reasons and solutions:
    I had a lot of issues (all 1997 1100 Sports which came from the factory floor had those issue due to several engineering / programming issues) with the 20k miles bike engine of this 1997 1100 Sporti coughing, hiccuping, and cutting off during idle while sitting at a stop light. This bike had a set of K&N pod filters installed when I bought her from her last owner a year ago. She also had the Creedon performance ECU chip, and the crossover with the carbon exhaust. I had the injection system balanced and synchronized, which helped a little, but the coughing, hiccuping, and sputtering was still so bad that I decided to undo the pod filters and to take her back to the stock ram-air box with a K&N filter installed. I noticed right away, after removing the fiberglass around the bike, that her last owner also installed a Power Commander III, which he had spliced into the ECU and to each fuel injector, so I removed the PC and hooked the injectors back into the bikes ECU. The coughing and hiccuping dropped by about 50% after the ram-air box was back in the bike, and the fuel injectors where getting their signal again from the ECU. The bikes engine, after I had her back together, stopped cutting off at idle, which was a huge improvement by itself, and I also noticed that the engine idle rpm’s dropped from 1.2k down to around 800 rpms.

What I'm trying next:
    My next task is to change the Tapped valve clearance from the Moto Guzzi 2 factory valve clearance specifications of 0.10mm for the inlet and 0.15mm for the exhaust to the Raceco recommended settings of 0.20mm inlet and 0.25mm exhaust. This change (Google "Raceco" for reasoning on why to go to this setting) is suppose to make the bike run much better by stopping the engine from hiccuping, coughing....., which should then in theory stop the engine cutoffs at idle.

There is also a fuel lean / rich screw on the ECU, which I may also need to dial in a little, but this is something that I will need to do after the valves have been adjusted.

fullsizeoutput_205cc.jpeg

The currently original Moto Guzzi factory valve clearance setting on the inlet side.
    IMG_3607.JPG

This is the original Moto Guzzi factory valve clearance setting on the exhaust side
    IMG_3611.JPG

I will have an update in a day or two on the impact that the Raceco valve clearance settings had on my bike.
  20. bilge rat

bilge rat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    'I will have an update in a day or two on the impact that the Raceco valve clearance settings had on my bike'

Mate, you got some serious 'iced coffee' going on in that engine oil. Condensation? or worse?, you gotta go for a long ride, tough eh.
    MedicAndy likes this.