Moto Guzzi 1994-1998 1100 Sport Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MedicAndy, May 15, 2018.

1. Evomx971

Evomx971 Wave as you fly over

Oddometer:
    Who doesn't like a little side boob and flared hips?
    hips.jpg
  2. Evomx971

Oddometer:
    Ok - first of what I'm sure will be many questions.

The side stand is an obvious abomination. I am not concerned with riding off with the kick stand down - putting it up is such an automatic action at this point.

What is the best / cleanest way to defeat the auto-retract? Grind off the nub the spring bracket hits? Or is there a replacement pivot bolt that just doesn't have the nub?
  3. MedicAndy

MedicAndy It's not always easy being me!

Oddometer:
    Can't help you there my friend. All of my stands still retract which is something I like. I don't know if you use Facebook, but you do, then check out the "Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport" group. I think that there are around 870 plus members who either ride 1100 Sport's, or are former riders. There is a lot of knowledge in the group that you can tap into, and many members will respond to questions asked.
  4. Evomx971

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'm in that group, will run my question past them.

Any advice on the best shop manual? I picked this one up and it seems pretty complete. This is my first Moto Guzzi (first Italian bike for that matter). Lots to learn!
    manual.jpg
  5. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
  6. Evomx971

Oddometer:
    Picking the bike up Wednesday night. He thought he had the owners manual but haven't heard if he found it yet or not.
  7. Tiki Joe

Tiki Joe n00b

Oddometer:
    Did you pick it up last night? From the pics the bike looks like it has been repainted....in the pics the red looks much more darker / red than the original red. The original Moto Guzzi red looks more orange.
  8. Evomx971

Oddometer:
  9. Evomx971

Oddometer:
    Ok, first real question! Should there be something on the spigot on the bottom of the pressure relief valve? All the diagrams I can find don't show another hose going to the valve other than the fuel line that's there... but you also can't see that spigot at the bottom either. Thoughts?

20210204_183243.jpg
  10. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    There is no hose attached to that bottom port, so keep it just the way it is.
  11. Evomx971

Oddometer:
    @MedicAndy - thanks!!!

My critical first task is going to be to drain the old fuel currently in the tank, give it a quick clean (unless it requires more) and get fresh fuel in it.

For cleaning the tank, Yamalube used to make a two-step rust remover and neutralizer that worked really good for tanks that just needed a good cleaning but it doesn't look like they sell it anymore.

Assuming there isn't any major rusting issues in the tank, any recommendations for a light cleaner?
  12. Tiki Joe

Tiki Joe n00b

Oddometer:
    How rusty is the tank now that you need to clean it?
  13. Evomx971

Oddometer:
    At this point I don't see any rust in the tank looking through the filler but it's still completely full of gas. I do think there is a "film" on the metal in there. I used a cotton swab to just rub the hump under the fuel and got just a bit of greenish crap on it. Optimistic there won't be rust but I think it'll definitely need a good flushing and a new fuel filter is probably a good idea, even with the low miles. Going to be super cold here this weekend but will probably get the shop heated up and at least get the old fuel drained so I can assess further.
  14. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    I bought a 1997 1100 Sport about five years ago, which was sitting in the woods under a tarp in someone's back yard for over seven years. The inside of the tank was surprisingly rust free, but the fuel turned to varnish over the years, and the entire bottom of that tank was covered in a 1/8" thick putty like substance. It took a screwdriver to scrape the putty off from the tanks bottom. I ended up buying a very strong and toxic paint stripper, which dissolved the putty after a couple of days. However, this cleaner has since has been outlawed....... Luckily, I haven't had any other tanks needing that type of cleaning.

I would recommend replacing the fuel pump (the pump on that bike had seized up), replace as you stated the fuel filter, and I would send the injectors off to et professionally cleaned. I just had four injectors cleaned, which included testing and the installation of all new rubber o-rings for around $90.00.

I would also remove the electronic petcocks and the fuel gauge sensor, since odds are that those parts are also covered in a layer of crusted on old fuel....
  15. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    I've had very good luck with lacquer thinner for cleaning old gas from tanks. Remove anything important and let the tank sit several days. I bought a couple of CB160 Hondas years that had sat for years full of gas. The gas turned to solid, hard as a rock, dried up gas. Had to make a rotisarary and fill the tanks with small wood screws for that one. still took several days. Yuck !!!.
    MedicAndy likes this.
  16. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    I forgot about the bolts, nuts, and the pieces of metal chain that I slushed around inside of the tank to help brake the putty up...... Good times!
  17. Evomx971

Oddometer:
    Drained and pulled the tank tonight. Pulled everything out of it and inspected with a borescope. Very happy. Just a little bit of junk around the petcock area. Will probably throw a short section of small chain in with some gas to rinse it out and should be good to go. Mine has a manual petcock and I think I'll get a new one since they are available and mine is a little crunchy feeling - pretty sure it was basically never used. The low fuel sender should clean up ok. Going to see how it runs before getting a new fuel pump. Easy to replace if it ends up bad.

All the emissions craps was still on it but the line to the tank was unplugged and a hose was added running straight down to the swingarm. However, one of the check valves was still in the line and I'm pretty sure it's messed up. I noticed when I opened the gas cap after getting it home it "whooshed" a bunch of air. When I was draining the tank, fuel flow as a bit janky until I opened the filler.

Will be removing all the emissions stuff and just running a straight line down behind the swingarm for the vent alongside what I call the water run-off hose.

Looks like the rear diff has a slight leak, will get a new seal when I order parts so I can replace it when I pull the wheel off for new tires.

Mine must be a very early '97, based on the transmission id number and looking through the filler hole, it appears it has straight gears.

Super happy working on it. First MG and first Italian bike. I figured there would be all sorts of weird fasteners and crap going on but it's actually put together really straightforward with lots of common, easy to access fasteners. Good stuff!
  18. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    FYI,

Since you didn’t get the original owners manual with your bike, this one here on eBay, which also includes a workshop manual is a pretty good deal. I would buy these manuals, but I already have several of them.......

FBB3E921-97A4-47AF-98D8-A362CA116ADD.png
  19. ajpjive

ajpjive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Evomx971 - If you haven't already gotten an answer for the auto-retracting side stand, they're pretty easy to change without grinding anything off. If I recall, I'm pretty sure you can just flip the top bracket around (and possibly replace the bolt?) and it'll stop catching. I took a couple pictures of how mine looks. Its been a couple years since I did this, so sorry for not having a better memory!

https://ibb.co/Sx3GMcY
    https://ibb.co/Pms4tS9
  20. Evomx971

Oddometer:

Thanks @MedicAndy ! I just got a text from the PO yesterday and he found the manual so that's good news!