Moto Guzzi 1994-1998 1100 Sport Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MedicAndy, May 15, 2018.

1. Evomx971

Evomx971 Wave as you fly over

Oddometer:
    @ajpjive Thanks!!! I'll take a look tonight and see if that looks like it'll work on mine. I've gotten somewhat more used to it but I still think I want to defeat the auto-retract. Looks like later models were updated with a side stand cut-out switch and for those they had a pivot bolt without the catch so getting one of those bolts is also an option.
  2. Evomx971

Oddometer:
    All - I'm going to order a new petcock (manual) for it since they are available and fairly cheap. The one that's on it didn't seem to seal all that well and didn't work very smoothly - pretty sure it's been in the "on" position for 20+ years without being touched.

On the pressure relief valve - is there any inspection or maintenance I should do on it? It had a little crud down in it that probably made it's way in there when I was draining all the fuel out and sloshing things about.

It appears from the diagrams that it should come apart if I remove the big circlip and pull the valve out of the bottom. Looks like there are several o-rings on it. Would you guys advise taking it apart for inspection and maybe light greasing of the o-rings or will I end up causing more issues than it's worth by disassembling it? It doesn't look like the valve is readily available if I screw it up.

Thanks!
  3. Tiki Joe

Tiki Joe n00b

Oddometer:
    Do you have a pic of your Petcock?....does it have a reserve on it? Mine isn't like the normal ball valve types that I've had on other bikes and doesn't have a reserve on it which I believe is factory.
  4. Evomx971

Oddometer:
    Here's what mine looks like. It's just an on/off deal, no reserve function.
    01105460.jpg
  5. Tiki Joe

Tiki Joe n00b

Oddometer:
    Yep mine is the same.
  6. MedicAndy

MedicAndy It's not always easy being me!

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine told me about DÄS Mototec, which sells custom motorcycle parts. They have some really nice 1100 Sport custom parts for sale. A little pricey, but very nice "hard to find" available parts.

https://shop.daes-mototec.com/de/ad...0&keywords=Moto+Guzzi+1100+sport&inc_subcat=1

I had several 1100 Sport riders contact me to find out if I had any taller helibars, which I don't. But DÄS Mototec has a very nice set of custom tall helibars available.
    6387F5B7-C0D7-48C4-ADB2-DC0C5A8F31BD.jpeg
    Evomx971 likes this.
  7. Evomx971

Oddometer:
    My new-to-me '97 Sport has Helibars on it. Once the weather warms up and I can get some miles on it I'll have to decide if I want to keep them or find someone that wants to trade back for stock bars. Riding position seems ok in the shop but I don't like how the controls kiss the fairing at full lock with the Helibars. I might be able to tweak them just a bit maybe to clear, need to experiment.

Work has been busy so not a lot of time for the shop. I got the old fuel drained out and there was just a bit of rusty crap in the bottom - easily cleaned up. New manual petcock, replaced fuel filter, replaced air filter, replaced several rotten rubber isolator bits under the dash and ECU. New clutch cable (massive improvement). New spark plugs. Removed the emissions equipment.

Fired it up tonight for the first time since buying. Seemed to run great in the shop. Should be able to take it out for it's first road test on Thursday. From what I can tell, the ECU hasn't been accessed. Going to be very interested in how it runs since I'm thinking it's running on stock mapping.
    MedicAndy likes this.
  8. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    I bought one bike which had the original ECU chip installed, and the engine run great, when it was cold. However, the hiccuping and engine cutting off at idle started to happen as soon as the engine started to warm up. Was there (or is there still) a thin aluminum film with the Moto Guzzi logo covering the ECU's round rubber access opening? You will still have the original ECU chip if this film is still there. The Will Creedon chip, which comes with very detailed installation and setup instructions, plus setting the valves to the Raceco settings will pretty much eliminate the factory fuel mapping issues, which every injected 1100 Sports had when it left the factory.

But, first things first, take your bike out for a long ride and see how it does.

Andy
    Evomx971 likes this.
  9. ajpjive

ajpjive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been torn with this as well. My bike came with Helibars, and I ended up picking up a set of stockers off someone on WildGuzzi. Some folks swear by the stock bars, and I think I'll likely switch back before repainting the bike. Not too concerned about the controls bumping now, but I wouldn't want to scuff a new paint job!
    Evomx971 likes this.
  10. MedicAndy

Oddometer:

I like the stock bars too. About half of my bikes have the riser style helibars, and the other have the factory standard bars. I’m 6’2”, so I really don’t have an issue with reaching the bars, and my wrists, neck, or back doesn’t feel any worse or better regardless of with bike / type of helibars that I’m riding / holding on too.
    Evomx971 and ajpjive like this.
  11. Evomx971

Oddometer:
    Yeah - my suspicion is like you said Andy, might fuel really well when cold but get worse as it warms up. However, looking at my ECU, there is NOT a foil type film over the hole. On mine, it's more of a opaque (maybe clear at one time?) rectangle plastic sticker thing. No logo or writing. I was going to peel it up and peek in there but it's really stuck down well so decided not to, at least until I get a chance to evaluate how it runs on the road. Previous (2nd) owner is pretty picky about how bikes run and said it runs great but he did not do any tuning. Still possible that the first owner did get it sorted before selling to him. Will have good weather and some time off in the afternoon tomorrow to really test it out - will report back!

My girlfriend (who currently rides a BMW F700GS) came out to the shop last night and I let her sit on it and fire it up since I'm fairly certain she's never heard any Guzzi run, let along a Sport with aftermarket cans. I think because of the look of the bike she was expecting more of an inline 4 feel/sound and was quite surprised at how raunchy it sounds, especially running in the enclosed shop. Big grins.
    MedicAndy likes this.
  12. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    You will need a flathead screwdriver to pry the rubber seal/cover of the ECU. Take a picture of the chip that you currently have installed. I have about ten different type of chips for the 1100 Sports ECU, ranging from the original MG 1100 Sport factory chip to Raceco racing chips, to Creedon chips, and a couple more. I would be surprised if the bike is completely sorted, since (I believe you said) you just removed the original smog equipment, and that would probably be one of the first things that new 1100 Sport owners removed, when they bought the bike. But yes, please let me know how the bike rides and idles. One of my bikes, which had 1400 original miles on it, had the original chip installed and the smog stuff was already removed. The original owner, who was a “BMW Master Mechanic” stated to me on how great this bike was running..... Well, this “Master BMW Mechanic” was full of...... since that bike didn’t do anything but huff and puff after the engine warmed up...... But this bike eventually was sorted after I replaced the factory ECU chip with the Creedon chip.

Either way, let’s hope that your bike is already sorted and ready to ride! :)
  13. Evomx971

Oddometer:
    First ride!

Had my first (short) ride this afternoon - initial impressions. Overall - loved it!

Motor - I thought it ran well, pulled strong through the rpm. Idled great and never died. The only issue was it would occasionally hiccup when steady state cruising at 3k rpm. If I held it at 3500 or higher, no hiccups. At 2500 it also ran clean. It was about 55 degrees out so this may get worse in warmer temps. Can easily ride around it in the short term but eventually might see what needs done to clean that up.

Here's what the "sticker" currently on top of the ECU looks like and I don't exactly see a rubber plug under it. Seems just like a hole underneath. It's really, really stuck on there but I'll get it peeled away and take a picture of the chip and post it.

20210303_175857.jpg

Transmission - very tall gearing, which I was expecting. Shifted much better than I thought it might. Did hit a false neutral a couple of times going to third. Based on the number stamped on the transmission and the shop manual I have, I believe mine has straight cut gears. Was expecting some whining but didn't really notice anything.

Brakes - front brake works great, nice kit. The rear brake has an issue though (which cut my ride short). The previous owner told me he thought there might be something up with it so not completely surprised. It is obviously dragging, heating up and then locking. Luckily I wasn't far from home and after letting it cool down, could get back before it starting locking up again. Usually this is the back bleed hole in the master cylinder plugged up or something. I've fixed this issue on a front brake master cylinder before but can get to it through the reservoir. Any recommendations on how to troubleshoot / fix this issue?

Great first ride - need to get this rear brake issue sorted, then time to change all the fluids.
  14. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    The original owner removed the Guzzi ECU seal and "for whatever reason" didn't re-install the large rubber plug..... Strange.......

Either way, I'm pretty sure that you probably already have a "performance" chip installed. Remove the tape and see what you have. Just re-seal the hole, so that no moisture gets in. You first need to see what chip you have before you can sort the hiccuping issue.

Remove the rubber "bolt" plug on the gearbox, then remove the Allen bolt. Take a flashlight and look into the gearbox fluid filling port, which will allow you to see the gearbox gears. This is the best way of knowing for sure on which type of gears your bike has installed. (Straight-Cut or Helical).

You have to be committed when shifting gears up and down. Even I find the occasional neutral, especially after I rode some of my Japanese bikes before jumping onto a Sport.

There is a good possibility that your bike still has the original Moto Guzzi factory gearbox and final drive oils, so make sure that you will give this bike a full service.

New plugs, new air filter, new fuel filter, new engine oil (I use Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50) and a Mobil 1 oil filter. I use a hose-clamp around the oil filter, so that it won't shake / vibrate itself loose.........., replace the gearbox oil (I use Redline V-Twin with Shocktop), Replace the Final Drive oil (I use Moto Guzzi Final Drive Lube SAE 80W90), and don't forget to clean and grease your drive shaft. (I use Wurth SIG3000 Super Impact Grease). You will also need to remove the rear wheel to grease the splines. I grease the driveshaft while I have the rear wheel removed, which makes this job then really easy.

I would also rebuild the front and rear brake calipers and flush the brake fluid. I had to rebuild the calipers on most of my bikes when I bought them. Some of the brakes worked fine, but then started to lock up after the bike had been sitting for month. Our bikes are also 24 years old by now, and your bike wasn't really used, so the seals are probably bad by now. I would hold off with rebuilding or replacing the front or rear brake master cylinders until the calipers were rebuild. You will need to order the rebuild kit from Europe (eBay), since Brembo does not sell them. Also order yourself new valve cover gaskets (set your valves to the Raceco settings), and order a new oil-pan gasket.

I think that this should keep you busy for a Saturday afternoon.

Andy

I'm pretty sure that you will have one of these chips currently installed in your bikes ECU.
    B1099695-4D39-4350-8A48-259823F61347.jpeg
    I just had these four spare injectors professionally cleaned, and I'm getting ready to install those into the two 97 1100 Sports that I'm actually riding. I will then send the four injectors that I'm pulling out of those bikes and have them cleaned, just so that I have some spares in the cabinet.
    tempImageRBhdbx.jpg

I have a clear adhesive film over the rubber ECU access boot
    5F6E0C2F-575C-484C-A419-DF22EAA730BF.png

And this is what you hopefully will see after you remove the film. This WPC12 is the Will Creedon performance / fuel mapping ECU chip. I pulled this spare ECU from a parts bike I bought, and I was really happy when I saw that chip. :)
    780775FE-9FDB-406E-BDAD-A8E820923291.png
    twowings and Evomx971 like this.
  15. Evomx971

Oddometer:
  16. Evomx971

Oddometer:
    Couple of updates -

Rear brake:
    after heating up and trying to lock up on my maiden ride, once it cooled off the caliper would pull right off the disc by hand. Working the pedal, the pads seem to move in, then back out slightly just as I would expect. However, even with a pry bar, I was unable to force the pistons back into the caliper which leads me to believe there is something wrong with the back bleed circuit in the master cylinder. Fluid was clean looking but a touch milky so possibly some moisture in it. I split the caliper and popped out the pistons just to make sure everything was clean and it was very clean. A new master cylinder was $60 through MG Cycle so just going to put on a new one instead of trying to disassemble/rebuild the one that's on there.

Tuning:
    I peeled the plastic film off the ECU. There was a rubber plug, just couldn't see it through the film. Here's what the chip looks like. Is this a stock chip or ??? Looks like the sticker on the chip says "coperchio con tappo" which translates literally as "lid with cap" so not sure what that is trying to say.
    20210307_125737.jpg
  17. MedicAndy

Oddometer:

This is a new one for me...... Your ECU chip looks different from all of the chips that I have inside of my ECU's...... I bought one of my 1100 Sports which still had the original MG seal over the black rubber ECU plug, and the original factory ECU chip on that board had the "MG" logo printed on it, just like the chip in my earlier post.

This is (picture below) what all of my ECU's look like, and all by now have the Will Creedon WPC12 chip installed. I would assume that you should be able to pull your chip out, but I would not remove it, until you know what you are looking at. And the last thing you want to do is damage your board. Post your ECU chip picture on the 1100 Sport FB forum, and lets see what feedback you receive from that group.

Magneti Marelli ECU ECM CDI
    Moto Guzzi Sport 1100i / IAW16M
    C045D917-7354-4C68-B17F-3C4028C5474F.jpeg
  18. Evomx971

Oddometer:
    Interesting that it's one you've never seen!

I got the new rear master cylinder installed tonight, feel much better about it. Gonna take it out for (hopefully) a longer ride tomorrow night to evaluate it and dump all the fluids when I get home.

Will post a pic of my chip out on FB and see what the group thinks. Thanks!
  19. ajpjive

ajpjive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those of us non-Facebookers, please post on here what you find out!

Fingers crossed the new master cylinder sorts things out for you too.
    Evomx971 likes this.
  20. Evomx971

Oddometer:
    New master cylinder and the rear brake works great now!

About 100 miles on it now. Got all the fluids changed. Nothing scary on the magnets. Just a bit of sludge in the sump to clean up.

Starts easy, idles well, shifts well and pulls hard. If I lose my license, it'll be on this bike - damn it wants to go fast all the time.

Has a lot more vibration than I expected out of a 90 degree v-twin though. Really just in the bars - seat and pegs aren't that bad. I mounted up some heavier bar ends and filled the clip-ons with shot and that helped a bit. The throttle bodies were just slightly out of sync - cleaned that up and it helped a bit as well. Still more vibes at some rpm's that I would have expected.

Also has a stumble if running steady throttle between 2800-3200. Sounds like that's pretty typical of the stock chip. No one on FB knew exactly what chip I have from my picture. I stopped by my dealer buddy today (that originally sold the bike back in '97) and ordered some new tires (Dunlop Roadsmarts) since I'm pretty sure the tires on it now are original.

We popped the rubber plug out and he thinks it's likely the stock chip and the weird pinkish-white bit is just a cover over the actual chip. That ECU was used both on Guzzi's and Ducati's at the time and he dealt in both lines so seems pretty familiar.

Next on the agenda - checking the valves and will be setting to the Raceco specs. Might go ahead and see about getting a Will Creedon chip to try.
    MedicAndy likes this.