Moto Guzzi 1994-1998 1100 Sport Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MedicAndy, May 15, 2018.

1. A303

A303 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all. Already introduced myself on the FB page but as Andy seems to be keeping a kind of unoffcial global 1100 Sport register (of those he doesn't own, anyway:) thought I'd show off my new ride. Had her about a month and the weather has not been too nice so only ridden her twice but really getting to like her old-skool charms and the way you have to keep on the gas, go boldly hunting for the next gear, etc. She's pretty good condition, just needs a bit of detailing - someone has painted the 'lamb chops' and rocker covers to a not very high standard, and a few other little bits. Only mechanical thing that needs doing is a fork seal as the chrome is a bit pitted on one side - this was probably my fault for being over-enthusiastic with the tie-down straps on the way home. A fork re-chrome is on the to-do list. Other than that, she runs like a dream once warmed up.
    Also in the garage is my Yamaha MT10, my 01 Aprilia RSV Mille (awaiting a rebuild after being crashed on track some time ago), an SRAD track bike, my WR250F for messing around on the dirt and a few Gas Gas trials bikes in various states of repair. Recently thinned out my collection by selling a 955i Speed Triple, a 'classic' VFR750, an XT500 and a Honda 175 twin.

2021-03-28 17.37.33.jpg 2021-03-28 17.37.24.jpg 2021-03-28 17.56.50.jpg
    Bad Dad, twowings, JHG67 and 4 others like this.
  2. Evomx971

Evomx971 Wave as you fly over

Oddometer:
    Nice bike @A303 !!!

Some good updates to share on my new-to-me '97 Sporti. I have most of the general maintenance stuff caught up on it after it sat for so long (500 miles in 20 years for previous owner). Set the valves to Raceco specs. Synced the throttle bodies. Both updates slightly improved how it ran. Was afraid the valve specs would be noisy but I don't find them bad at all. Although I did put 30k miles on a Buell so maybe I'm just used to noisy engines. Still want to flush the front brake fluid and eventually will flush the front fork fluid.

The tires on it were the originals from 1997. Mounted up some new Dunlop Roadsmart III's. Found out the rims have been painted rather than powder-coated, so that was a disappointment. Didn't mess the paint up too bad - but a long-term winter project will be to powder coat them. Getting the wheels off was a massive chore. The axles were greased but the grease was super, super sticky and I had to pound both axles out. Rear wheel bearings were slightly notchy as well so replaced those while it was off.

I've put about 300 miles on it now. Starts, runs and rides great except for an occasional hiccup around 3200 rpm. Chatted with Will Creedon and sent him the picture of my current chip and he said it's the stock chip. I have one of his chips sitting here on the desk ready to go in the bike next. Won't get to it till next week but really excited that it might clean up the stumble and based on Will's feedback - it'll run better everywhere - that would be impressive!

I also picked up a used pillion seat pan with no foam or cover. Plan to build a plate on it with strap holes to mount a tail bag of some sort for short overnights or when I need extra gear, etc.

More to come... and promise some pictures next time.
  3. A303

A303 n00b

Oddometer:
    Some interesting stuff there. I see you were asking about the sidestand. Mine was modded by the PO - I haven't looked closely but he said it was just a matter of moving the bracket to position the spring the other way. Sure details will be on the web. The good part is that I can still flick it down with my boot while seated.
  4. Hondarider

Hondarider Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer:
    It was the late 90s and I was already 20 years into my motorcycle obsession. I had owned an array of Hondas and other offerings from Japanese Big 4, but I was excited about ANYTHING on wheels. I studied motorcycle magazines voraciously like I was trying to earn a post-grad degree in 2-wheeled transportation. Somewhere around 97, I read an article about a rider and his experience with a silver 1100 Sport. I was captivated. I fell in love with the lines of the bike and a design that seemed to emphasize the engine instead of hiding it behind aerodynamic Tupperware. While I suspect that the article, which I can’t find now, highlighted and maybe derided a number of questionable design characteristics, all I could hear was “character”. I was smitten! I managed to get hold of a brochure from a local MG dealership and I carried it around with me like a security blanket.

As luck would have it, I found myself with a significant amount of money in my possession right about then...a settlement from a car wreck where I was an innocent victim. Not quite enough to buy a new 1100 outright, but close enough for me to secure a loan for the rest. I called upon my local Moto Guzzi dealer and let him know that I had a pocket full of cash and an insatiable desire to own this exotic Italian beauty. He scoffed at me and told me no as though I wasn’t a worthy caretaker for such a fine motorcycle. In retrospect, I’m sure that he was right. Nevertheless, I didn’t give up and a I went out into the world to find other Guzzi dealers.

While the internet certainly existed at the time, I had very little access and web sites were rudimentary at best. The best I was able to do was to find phone numbers for Guzzi dealers in New England. I remember calling more than a couple and being told “no” multiple times. They either weren’t available or the dealers were holding out for proper gentleman motorcyclists - not a wannabe squid in his mid 20s who couldn’t even grow decent facial hair. I eventually gave up the chase and bought a new ‘98 CBR900RR instead. I tried to take solace in the fact that the CBR was lighter, faster, and more refined, but I never stopped thinking about the lady in red...

Over the 20+ years since, I’ve looked high and low for an 1100 Sport. I’ve got alerts set up on Craigslist, eBay, and Facebook and I followed every lead. I had a line on a yellow one in Oklahoma a few years ago and I was prepared to take the road trip, but I think someone else beat me to it. I figure I’ve looked at listings and auctions for Guzzis nearly every week for 10 years. I’ve come close, but never made the connection. Last summer, while looking for an 1100 Sport, I stumbled onto a V7ii Stornello instead and had to own it. I actually thought that it might have cured me from my 1100 obsession. Instead, I think it made it worse. I love the little V7, but it was just a taste of the Guzzi good stuff and I needed more. It was a gateway.

Fast forward to last week and an automated alarm from FB Marketplace for a one-owner, unmolested, 12K miles ‘97 example in northern Vermont - 3.5 hours away from me. It was finally my time! Within half an hour of the posting, the deal was done and I would be picking it up the next day. There was no room to haggle over price or to kick tires. I simply told the seller that I would be there in the morning with a trailer and cash. I’m a shrewd negotiator.

So here she is in all of her glory. She’s not a museum piece, but she’s complete and unmolested. She idles a little rough, but rides just fine. She’s ripe for some TLC and some tasteful performance mods. After 23 years of waiting, I finally found my unicorn and I plan to hold onto her for the next 20. 9BCD8CB4-1BD5-4526-8562-963E9FD8D696.jpeg
    Bad Dad, ysrebob, JHG67 and 8 others like this.
  5. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    She looks good from just about any angle...

4C0D4533-0FB9-414E-A6DA-85CD84DC6CE8.jpeg
    Bad Dad, racer1735, twowings and 2 others like this.
  6. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    I used to dream about what this bike would sound like with a full Staintune exhaust system, but I’m afraid I’ll never know now...

D92AB504-3ECF-41A4-AB21-78753C995650.jpeg
    Bad Dad, racer1735 and MedicAndy like this.
  7. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    I spent some time with a toothbrush and various cleansers this weekend. I also started cleaning up the pipes.

8BFA86C4-A30E-42BB-8902-8FD15DED657C.jpeg
    MedicAndy likes this.
  8. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Here’s the Stornello that I accidentally fell into while chasing 1100s last year...

3F43C559-E50C-4027-B170-9780347FBDD0.jpeg
  9. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    My understanding is that my 1100 is bone stock and has never been tinkered with. The gentleman that I purchased it from bought it new in '97 and has only done routine maintenance ever since. I assume that it hasn't been chipped as it idles very poorly and that seems like something that he would have mentioned during our lengthy discussions. Any recommendations on where I should start on properly sorting this bike for maximum riding enjoyment?
  10. MedicAndy

MedicAndy It's not always easy being me!

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="I assume that it hasn't been chipped as it idles very poorly and that seems like something that he would have mentioned during our lengthy discussions. [/QUOTE]

Remove the rider’s seat to get access to the ECU. Then see if the original plastic seal / film is still covering the black rubber’s ECU access plug. Remove the plug and take a picture of the chip that you now see and post it here.
  11. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    I popped of the seat and did a little investigation. The anti-tamper foil had not been previously tampered with. 20210422_184659.jpg
  12. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Of course, that changes today. I hit it with the heat gun to loosen up the decades old adhesive and it gave up its secrets without much of a fight... 20210422_184944.jpg
    MedicAndy likes this.
  13. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    This looks untouched to me. Fortunately, I already spoke to Will and mailed him a check for $114 a couple hours ago. 20210422_185018.jpg
    MedicAndy likes this.
  14. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Good deal! The price of the chip gone up a little, but still cheap purchase for getting your bike setup. Next thing to look out for is a nice exhaust system with crossover. :)
  15. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    That seems tougher than finding a bike. I've been Googling like mad for days.
  16. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean my friend....... I bought a couple of 1100 Sport's just because of the exhaust systems that those bikes had installed. I ended up with a spare Mistral, Termignoni, and a new Staintune system. Problem now is, like you already know, that you either can't find them, or they are costly. Plus trying to match the correct header pipes to a crossover to the exhaust pipes is tricky too. Mistral exhaust pipes and crossovers (I believe) can still be purchased new from Moto Guzzi parts dealers like MG Cycle, Harpers, or HMB-Guzzi, just be prepared to spend around $1,500.00 to $2,500.00 for a complete system, and make sure before you order individual components that they will all fit together. You do not want to spend $500.00 for a crossover just to find out that the header pipes or the exhaust pipe (or both) won't fit..........
  17. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    That is a clean looking ride! You did good!
  18. Hondarider

Oddometer:
    Did something happen to Harper’s? I haven’t been able to access their site in a week? At the moment, I’m just trying to buy oil, filter, gaskets, etc... I had heard good things about that source.
  19. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Harpers website got hacked, so it's going to be down for some time to come....... Buy your parts from MG Cycle, which is where I buy my seals from. Do you already know on which type of oils and filters that you are going to use on your bike?
  20. Tiki Joe

Tiki Joe n00b

Oddometer:
    I'll add mine now that I mostly have it sorted out and back together. I bought this on an auction out of California in 11/2020. When I saw the Miami Vice teal paint I thought to myself that I had to save this bike! Honestly, I didn't know much at all about Moto Guzzi's but I always liked the styling and the looks of these Sports. I did take it for one brief ride of about 20 miles before I tore it apart and now it's all back together. I need to get an inspection and get a license plate yet and I'm looking forward to then putting some miles on it.
    I did a full service on it. Changed all oils & filter, new tires, new intake manifolds, adjusted valves to Raceco specs and tried cleaning everything up some....still some cleaning to do. Hand polished the Staintune exhaust...this was work!
    This bike sounds amazing! IMG_4418.jpg IMG_4421.jpg IMG_4422.jpg MG.jpg
    Bad Dad, racer1735, MedicAndy and 2 others like this.