Moto Guzzi 1994-1998 1100 Sport Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MedicAndy, May 15, 2018.

1. MedicAndy

MedicAndy It's not always easy being me!

Oddometer:
    No doubt! I took these pictures while checking / adjusted the valve clearances right after I bought and got this bike home. I changed the oil over to Mobil 1 V-Twin Synthetic 20W50. This bike was sitting for several years without being ridden, and it showed. Sadly enough, I have found a correlation between all of my seven 1100 Sports, after I got them home, which is that they all were sitting for years without having been ridden. One of my bikes was sitting on display at a motorcycle museum for most of her life, three others were sitting in privately owned collections, one of my bikes was sitting in a guys man-cave for the last twenty years, one was abandoned in the woods for the last seven years, and the last bike was owned by an older gentleman who got to old to ride this bike. I guess I noticed that my bikes were not used as a means of a daily rider, but more so as an occasional weekend toy, when the weather was nice. And the average person who bought the bikes back in the days was probably in their 30's or 40's and probably well established in their lives, since the 1100 Sports were not cheap bikes when they were sold new. I believe that the 1100 Sports, when they came out, were more of a Gentleman Sports bike versus the younger squids, so those bikes took the back seat when it came to family and work, so they ended up sitting for years in their new roll as Eye Candy for their owners, until the owners for whatever reason decided to finally sell them off, to people like me, who also is way to busy with life then to really enjoy them out on the road where they belong. It's a little sad for the bikes to be sitting like this, but it will ensure on the other hand that those bikes will be around for many many years to come.

Either way, talking about the oil, I am using LE "Lubrication Engineers" motor oil in my Corvette now for over 20 years, and I really like this 50:50 blend of Synthetic : Teflon. The Teflon keeps all internal engine components coated in oil, which will help reduce the engine wear during startup after a bike was sitting for weeks, or sometimes month without having been rode. So I am planning on using LE oil in my 1100 Sports after I used up all of my Mobil 1.

I got my own little oil store going on in my barn!
    fullsizeoutput_1ff66.jpeg
    The oil pan cleaned up nicely too.
    IMG_3739.JPG
    KneeDrachen likes this.
  2. bilge rat

bilge rat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All I can do is offer to save up and come over for a holiday and help you put some miles on them, but I gotta keep mine rust free too so don't know when i could make it.
    Sorry, you'll just have to do it yourself. Life's tough, I don't know how you cope. At least you've got a plan, good luck.
    KneeDrachen and MedicAndy like this.
  3. vato_loco

vato_loco Sometimes good guys don't wear white

Oddometer:
    I owned a ‘97 Sporti, which I bought new in ‘99 or 2000. I toured all throughout CA and parts of OR & NV on that Guzzi, even though the ergos weren’t suited for that type of riding. Oh well, but that engine was made to put on the miles. The 1100i was supremely reliable, although it took a bit to get her sorted.

The photos are from the oil fields in Kern County; Sonora Pass (elevation 9623); Mojave Desert; and the West Oakland ghetto, where I lived for a spell.

57F01F3A-194A-4C51-BC95-D0509DCF4888.jpeg

FC9D6236-0170-4B7B-83D4-2BC534DCF33A.jpeg

98E6B462-B82D-42A0-98F9-951823121945.jpeg

1D019ECE-B29F-4949-8E73-399010DD2474.jpeg
    KneeDrachen and MedicAndy like this.
  4. vato_loco

vato_loco Sometimes good guys don't wear white

Oddometer:
    Unlike many of the bikes you've acquired Andy, I put 33K miles on my Sporti. For such a long, heavy bike (about 510 lbs wet), she handled and braked pretty well. The fuel injection was initially awful but the Creedon chip helped a lot, as did synching the throttle bodies. As you can tell above, I played around with various exhaust configurations. The D&D pipes and x-over were just too plain loud. The D&D and stock exhaust box was pretty good but I eventually settled on the x-over and stock Lafranconi silencers, which is what I used on the Sonora Pass ride. For stock, the Lafranconis sounded great: a deep, booming bass but not obnoxiously loud.

The body work made attaching tail and side bags a challenge but with enough bungee cords I was able to strap everything down. It's hard to believe now that I carried a tent, sleeping bag, cooking stove, and a folding camp chair on that sleek Guzzi tail section.
    yosso and MedicAndy like this.
  5. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting your pictures and letting me know that you liked the Creedon chip and your exhaust setup. Three of my 97's had the Creedon chip already installed, and I got lucky when Will Creedon actually contacted and offered me some help with trouble shooting and setup requirements about a year ago. He is a super nice guy. He still has some of his second revision chips, so I bought a couple from him. Will told me that he was on a motorcycle trip in Europe a couple of years ago, when he met his now wife while riding around in Germany. I am also German by birth, so I thought that this was a nice story. He and his wife are now living in California. I also thought that it was so cool that he actually remembered the bike I had issues with after I bought her from a University of Ann Arbor Michigan Professor. Will actually helped the original owner of the 97 with the setup of his first and second ECU chip revision. The Professor however then decided to remove the forced-air intake system and replaced it with pod filters. I found several loose hoses under the gas tank after I removed it. The Professor also bypassed the Creedon Chip after he installed a Power Commander. Either way, I am still working on this bike. I undone everything the Professor did, so the fuel mapping is now being driven by the Creedon chip again. I also re-installed the original air box, and reinstalled all loose hoses. I am now going to, as stated in an earlier message, change the valve clearance setting to the Raceco settings, which is then suppose to all but eliminate the hiccuping that I am still seeing sometimes. I am also hearing a noice which could be a looses timing chain, so I bought me a new chain and a much better tensioner. It is getting a little overwhelming at times when working on so many bikes at the same time, not even mentioning the costs of doing so..... but, little here and there, and they all will be as good as new again one day.

Either way, thanks again for posting the pictures and your comments!

Andy

This was the picture I saw in the For Sale add in the MGNOC. I drove 1400 miles in two days to get this bike back to my home. This bike was a original factory yellow painted bike, but the first owner who sold the bike to the Professor wanted a red 1100 Sport, but all US red available bikes were sold, so he bought the yellow bike and had her painted in BMW red. I like the looks of this bike, but she sure is red! This bike has a little of 25k miles on the clock, which makes her my second highest milage bike.
    fullsizeoutput_1fe06.jpeg

This is where she was sitting at for ten years without having been ridden.
    fullsizeoutput_1fd34.jpeg

All loaded up in Ann Arbor!
    fullsizeoutput_1fe19.jpeg

I could not believe on how rundown the tires were, which this Professor apparently had no concerns about. The tires were so bad that it was hard to make turns while riding at ten miles per hour. The Professor gave me a new front tire, which he had purchased to put on the front wheel, but never got around to it. I unwrapped the original factory tire packaging plastic wrap after I got the bike home, and the tires manufacturing date stamp was from 2005.......
    fullsizeoutput_1fd3e.jpeg
    KneeDrachen and vato_loco like this.
  6. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    The picture below on the left shows the Ann Arbor painted bike in her 20 year old BMW red paint, which is still absolutely perfect today. The picture on the right shows the actual MG factory red paint for the 97 1100 Sport.
    fullsizeoutput_1fefb.jpeg
    KneeDrachen likes this.
  7. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    FYI, I have the Will Creedon performance chip instructions, just in case if someone needs to setup, check, dial in, or troubleshoot their bike with having the Will Creedon Performance Chip installed.

Below is also a message from a Moto Guzzi forum member about his experiences, after his bike had the same issues as my bike does (engine cutting off at idle rpm's and hiccuping issues), after he changed the valve clearance settings from the MG factory to the Raceco recommended settings.

Raceco valve clearance settings for both the Carb and EFI models.

Raceco, Imperial Inlet 0.008” Exhaust 0.010”. Metric Inlet 0.2 mm Exhaust 0,25mm.
    I found that the engine (97 1100 Sport) still runs more quietly than a California or other big Guzzis and doesn’t spit back through the carbs so much. It spits a bit when the engine is cold but not when it warms up.
    I experimented with the STD settings and the bike ran like shit. Stalling and spitting and I had to wind the Idle speed up. You may be able to tune around these issues but as my bike runs almost perfectly with the Raceco settings that is what it will get.
    KneeDrachen likes this.
  8. moto SPotter

moto SPotter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The service writer for Moto International can program chips for the 1100I. He did a couple for me, the Idle and overall tuning of my bike was much improved. Well worth the price of $100. Mind you access to a dyno or exhaust sniffer would make this much easier. I find that most guys aren't willing to pay for proper tuning. The new owner of my 1100! loves it and has yet to have any complaints. The Raceco valve setting work on any ole Guzzi because it is good to allow the engine to breath.
    IMG_2924.JPG
    MedicAndy likes this.
  9. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your info, and yes, most Guzzi owners are cheap, cheap, cheap....... I have the Will Creedon chip in all of my 97 FI bikes, and I like the fuel mapping of this chip. I have two 97's which ride great now, and the other three are still being sorted out. The biggest issues with those bikes is the lack of proper maintenance those bikes received from their last owners, so it is up to me now to set them up as needed, which takes some work and money. I like for my bikes to be done right, which means that I'm changing many things out, if they need it, or may not yet need it...... For instance, I'm still working on changing out all relays, fuses, and timing chains / tensioners on most of my bikes. Almost every 1100 I bought needed new tires, brake pads, and rotors, which takes me back to Moto Guzzi owners are cheap, cheap, cheap, and they like to do things themselves to save money, and many of those guys think that they are professional tuners..... My biggest issue to get all of my bikes sorted out is do to the number of bikes I own and the lack of time I have to work on them, and not even talking about finding time to ride them. We are now in the middle of June, and I have not even had any of my bikes out yet this year for a ride...... One of my bikes that I'm currently restoring needs a new clutch now, and two need the timing chain and tensioner replaced, and that will be all that I'm doing on those bikes this riding season, which should be all done by mid July.

The yellow belly coverd and the BMW red painted bike are my current project bikes. I thought that I finished the yellow bikes restoration about a month ago, as I realized that the clutch was slipping in the upper gears on the first time that I rode this bike since I bought her......... The BMW red bike is pretty much done, except of the timing chain. This was a Dr. Frankenstein bike...... Anything that her last owner could screw up, he did.... he even bypass the WC fuel mapping with a Power Commander, which really had this bike screwed up. But, little here and there, plus a friend of mine is an Ex-Moto Guzzi mechanic, and he is such a big help!

10. moto SPotter

moto SPotter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Previous owners, lack of maintenance and lack of use are the biggest problems for the Sports. Oh and if you can put them on a diet they are more fun to ride. Though most guys get mad at the customs. Good luck. I'll leave a few parting shots since this is a 1100 Sport thread.

Attached Files:

MedicAndy likes this.
  11. moto SPotter

moto SPotter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_3735.JPG
    L84dinr, Pantah, vato_loco and 5 others like this.
  12. bjorn240

bjorn240 Good with a map!

Oddometer:
    I wonder if R9Ts immediately go home and sulk in the garage when that thing passes them.
    moto SPotter likes this.
  13. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    I have been working on getting this bikes mechanical issues sorted out now since the day I bought her about 18 month ago. This bike was sitting idle for years in a garage up in Ann Arbor MI, before I bought her. Her previous owner started the engine up, and this bike was running really rough with the idle going up and down, lots of hiccuping and coughing, engine cutting off, brakes were shot, and metal wires showing through the tires rubber...... But, this bike looked so good for being 20 years old, plus I liked the red paint job, so I bought and brought her home with me. Sadly enough, this bike has been sitting in the stable ever since she got here, since I don't have a lot of time, and way more projects on my hands then I can handle right now. But, to make a long story a little shorter, I replaced the tires and brakes, removed the pod K&N filters and reinstalled the original airbox with a K&N filter, did a full engine and gearbox service, new plugs, changed all other filters, installed the Creedon chip, removed a Power Commander III module which her original owner installed for whatever reason, synchronized and balanced the injectors, and adjusted the idle. The engine after doing all this work now runs much better. I did however noticed that the engine had some vibrations and seemed pretty noisy at times, so I decided to have the timing chain and tensioner replaced. A great guy I know, Johann, who is the owner of Moto Motivo here in Raleigh did the changeout of the chain and tensioner, and he did an absolutely great job. The bikes engine now runs so much smoother, and all of the extra engine noises and vibrations I felt are gone. I knew that the factory installed timing chain's tensioner was pretty weak to begin with, so I was not surprised that the original tensioner didn't actually hold tension on the chain anymore by now. But sadly enough, the hiccups and coughing of the engine is still there....... So I'm now going to set the valves clearance this weekend to the Raceco settings, to see if this will help with the hiccups. I will also try to play with the ECU fuel screw, which is something that Will Creedon's chip installation instructions tell you to also tune in. I hope that I can report back next week with a mission completed / I got rid of the hiccuping issue message next week. And yes, I'm going to change the timing chain and tensioner out now on all of my 1100's after seeing that the original tensioner didn't hold tension on the chain at all.

fullsizeoutput_20b0f.jpeg

Original factory installed timing chain and tensioner. This tensioner was way undersized, and the spring is way to small for holding tension on the chain.
    fullsizeoutput_20b61.jpeg

The new tensioner is 3x larger than the original factory installed tensioner. The engine now runs much smoother and the engine vibrations have all disappeared.
    fullsizeoutput_20b60.jpeg

Original tensioner on the left versus the new improved tensioner on the right.
    fullsizeoutput_20b2c.jpeg
    996DL and fireflyr like this.
  14. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    In my long ago youth, I had a serious bevelhead addiction, but you seem "stabler." :choppa

Subscribed. :*sip*

996DL
    MedicAndy likes this.
  15. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    1996.... went to Chicago to check out a sport 1100........sat on it, admired it, thought long and hard,....... ended up buying a ZX9-R Kawasaki....second fastest bike at that time behind the ZX-11. The ZX9 made a great sport touring bike but I always wondered, what if........ what if I'd bought the Guzzi!
    MedicAndy likes this.
  16. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    You probably choose the correct bike........ I like the 96 & 97 Sports, and they most definitely have their place in my stable and amongst many collectors, but if I only had one bike, then it would not be a 1100 Sport. These bikes only like the open roads, and city riding on this high geared and non-water cooled bike is not a good thing either. The bike that I have sitting in the stable, which I like to ride the most, is my high performance 1996 Suzuki GSXR 1100. That is one powerful and fast bike. It's too bad that Moto Guzzi's engine and transmission engineers didn't go to school with the Suzuki's engineers! Just imagine the looks of a 96 or 97 1100 Sport with the engine performance of a GSXR 1100...... now that would be the bike to own!

IMG_9237.JPG fullsizeoutput_1ff61.thumb.jpeg.7c15b22c326990885a9a4f9155309e81.jpeg
    Bad Dad likes this.
  17. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha! The 1100 was the other bike on my list, that is one sweet ride!
    MedicAndy likes this.
  18. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Spend some time on my 4th of July holiday with getting this beauty ready for a NC & TN mountain riding vacation.

fullsizeoutput_20c90.jpeg

Lots of buffing was required to get the pork-chops and valve covers polished
    fullsizeoutput_20c8b.jpeg
    This bike looks like that she is going 100 mph, even when strapped down in the back of the truck!
    fullsizeoutput_20c78.jpeg
  19. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And a Gran Sport plastic car BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
    MedicAndy likes this.
  20. kaput13

kaput13 gasoholic

Oddometer:
    Medic,

Not going to fault you for not riding TO the mountains, family, dog, whatnot, but.... taking only one of your lovelies along

Inexcusable.:1drink
    MedicAndy likes this.