Moto Guzzi 1994-1998 1100 Sport Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MedicAndy, May 15, 2018.

1. MedicAndy

MedicAndy It's not always easy being me!

Oddometer:
    I hear you my friend...... And that actually is turning out to be a problem, which is only being able to take one of them. All of my bikes need to be ridden, but all except two are sitting in the barn waiting patiently, sometimes for month at the time or longer, to be their turn to be ridden! It's time to make some changes in life when there becomes a need to schedule time in your day scheduler for taking a day off, so that you can have time to start and ride all of your bikes at least for thirty minutes every two to three month in order to keep everything oiled up!
  2. Kremmen

Kremmen n00b

Oddometer:
    Haha! Did the same thing on my '96 Sporti across Australia and back in 2000/2001. Sans the chair and stove, but I had everything else but the kitchen sink. Was a bit iffy sometimes what with how far forward the side stand is. Never used the tent in the end - ended every day so damn sore I sought out a motel no matter what. I was doing pretty long days, did a couple of thousand-mile days, so I'm not too ashamed. :)

Was my daily ride for 17 years. Gave her a repaint for her 20th birthday a couple of years ago, and a bit of a sort-out. Running a Jefferies ECU now but it still needs proper tweaking.

I'll never sell it, it's the motoring love of my life. I do wish Piaggio would pull their heads out of their butts and let Guzzi build a sports bike again, though.
    MedicAndy, vato_loco and 996DL like this.
  3. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    I think I saw you (and the Moto Guzzi) in the truck somewhere around Robbinsville a few days ago. I was going in the opposite direction, otherwise I might have tried to flag you down. :D
    MedicAndy likes this.
  4. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    It's a small world my friend! Yes, I was on Monday first in Maggie Valley, visiting the "Wheels In Time" museum, and then arrived at Deals Gap around 3:30 I think. I rode around and talked to a lot of fellow riders until around 7 pm. I took some great pictures of the Guzzi up around Deals Gap and in the mountains, but the 1100 Sport was the wrong bike to take, since this bike is gears so high, that I rode the entire 11 miles in 1st and 2nd gear only. I will take my 96 GSXR 1100 next time!

fullsizeoutput_20d60.jpeg
    Best motorcycle designated parking area ever!
    fullsizeoutput_20d64.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_20d86.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_20da7.jpeg
    Florida Lime likes this.
  5. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    A couple more pictures of this trip.

I'm not into riding for 4 or more hours at the time on my sport bikes...... It's so much easier for me now to load up everything I need for a 3 -4 day vacation into my truck.
    IMG_0203.JPG fullsizeoutput_20d78.jpeg

On the Blue Ridge Parkway, somewhere between Mount Mitchell and Boone.
    fullsizeoutput_20d53.jpeg

Deals Gap, NC
    fullsizeoutput_20d3c.jpeg
    Bad Dad, GotMojo? and Florida Lime like this.
  6. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Not just another bike that met a sad ending, this was one of the rare blue 1100's which was chopped up and sold off in pieces!

96 1100 Sport.jpg

And this one, after sliding down a street in Italy last month, came to a hard stop by hitting a wall!

35898665_2164781613538714_1307392215315644416_n.jpg

35963487_2164780153538860_199764310530981888_n.jpg

35970728_2164781516872057_3629516487770767360_n.jpg
  7. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    I have a yellow 1997 Sport laying around the barn now for the last two years collecting dust while thinking of what her final destiny will be, and I really like the paint job of the pictured 1994 Silver & Red 1100 Sport, so I'm planning on making my yellow dust collector 1997 a tribute bike, with some slight differences to the bike I'm building to make it unique, for this 1994 Sport. I don't think that this 1994's color scheme was ever a standard available factory color, so I'm wondering if this bike was possibly a type of special addition, race bike, or maybe show bike, since it was used in this special addition picture write-up? My yellow 1997 donor bike has 33k miles on the clock, and she was sitting under a tarp in the woods for seven years before I bought her. It took a lot of hands-on work in order to get this bike running again. I had to clean the inside of her gas tank out, which was a big job, and I also needed to replace the fuel pump, fuel filter, and all fuel lines and fuel regulators before the engine came back to life. The engine runs great, and the gears shift and the clutch works without showing any issues, but I think a rebuild of the engine and clutch would probably be a good idea during this build. I estimate that this restoration / bike build will cost me around US $6k.

This 1994 Moto Guzzi Sport picture will be used for building my 1997 1100 Sport tribute bike.
    fullsizeoutput_2111a.jpeg

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

This is my 1997 donor bike for my 1994 tribute build. My build will have some differences like possibly painting the engine and gearbox in black
    and the rear spine frame and swing-arm in red.
    fullsizeoutput_1fe52.jpeg
  8. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    A '97 I bought a few years ago in Minnesota, with a little over 5,000 miles on it and with the unobtanium full Staintune.

My 4th Guzzi and a bucket list bike of mine since they came out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

996DL and MedicAndy like this.
  9. bringenufgun

bringenufgun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you have the goose on a wood plank in the Taco? always worried about the tailgate bending on heavier bikes. whats your setup? thanks
  10. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Standard r 9 turban dry wt.209kg, 110hp,116nm torque. Much as i like Guzzi's , i don't think one is going to have an easy time getting past an r9, even less so in the twisties.:photog
  11. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    I build the wooden frame out of 2"x10" treated lumber. I like that the frame sits tight between the front of the truck bed and the trucks wheel wells, which keeps the bike from sliding around the back of the truck, especially when driving up a steep incline on some of our mountain roads. I also like the front wheel lock, which keeps the bike in place after the front wheel locks in place. This is especially nice when traveling alone, since I can step of the truck after the bike is in place and then take my time with securing / strapping the bike onto the truck bed / bike frame without needing to worry about the bike falling over.
    IMG_9094.JPG

I'm using a nine foot long ramp to push my bikes up into the truck, or when unloading. I do usually try to find me a ditch when loading or unloading, since it's not easy when trying to hold the bike in place while also trying to step up into the truck bed when you are alone.
    fullsizeoutput_10760.jpeg

The ramp that I'm using hooks onto the two bolts that are seen sticking up from the 2"x10". I incorporated those two bolts into my design after I almost lost one of my bikes when I loaded it for the first time when the ramp started to slide off from the 2"x10" as I pushed the bike into the truck.
    IMG_9619.JPG

My bikes are really securely mounted when they are strapped down in my truck.
    fullsizeoutput_1fc80.jpeg
  12. bringenufgun

bringenufgun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thank you.
  13. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    MedicAndy i'm loving all these pics of the 1100 Sports but also loving the North Carolina settings, beautiful country. Just last night watched the last hour or so of "last of the Mohicans", spectacular wilderness, looked at the credits "filmed in North Carolina", you are in a good place doing good things!:photog
    MedicAndy likes this.
  14. jonnyutah

jonnyutah less talk , more ride

Oddometer:
    FB_IMG_1466799216724.jpg
    MedicAndy and SCTrailrider like this.
  15. jonnyutah

jonnyutah less talk , more ride

Oddometer:
    FB_IMG_1464961076473.jpg
    Allucaneat and MedicAndy like this.
  16. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    For the first time since I bought this bike two years ago......... I actually rode this little beauty for an hour this afternoon, and after all the headaches she caused during the last two years, she finally did great! The injection system still has a little hiccuping here and there, but the engine doesn’t cut off anymore. I have not touched the ECU’s fuel mixture screw as of now, but this will hopefully be the last tweaking that this girl needs. I wanted to see, before adjusting the ECU’s fuel mixture screw, if the newly installed timing chain, removal of the Power Commander, balancing of the injectors, new K&N filter, and opening up the valve gaps to 0.06 intake, and 0.08 exhaust would help, and it did. She rides 90% better now then when I bought her. A few more tweaks and she hopefully will be right. [​IMG] This bike also has the Will Creedon performance chip, Mistral exhaust with cross-over, new Metzler tires, a new fuel filter, new front and rear wheel bearings, and new front and rear Brembo rotors and pads. I’m glad that this project is finally coming to an end, since this bike will be my main 1100 Sport ride.

I remember several occasions when I came so close to take my 12 ga Remington Police addition to fill this little red beauty full of lead...... Sorting out the issues that this bike had since I bought her two years ago got almost the best of me! I'm glad that I did not give in to temptation!!
    fullsizeoutput_211e0.jpeg fullsizeoutput_211de.jpeg fullsizeoutput_211c6.jpeg fullsizeoutput_211db.jpeg
    996DL and SCTrailrider like this.
  17. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    You really ought to post a sound clip of all those beauties running at the same time.
    MedicAndy likes this.
  18. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    I like the way you think! I need to find out on how to insert a video into a post, if this is actually possible?
  19. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    I know it's possible, but someone smarter than me will have to chime in on how to do it.:lol2
    MedicAndy likes this.
  20. rocker59

rocker59 diplomatico di moto

Oddometer:
    :super

[​IMG]
    MedicAndy and 996DL like this.