Moto Guzzi 1994-1998 1100 Sport Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MedicAndy, May 15, 2018.

1. MedicAndy

MedicAndy It's not always easy being me!

Oddometer:
  2. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
  3. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I wish I could have kept it....but long rides on it killed my neck - and I'm not into 'coffee table bikes'. Exactly the bike I wish I'd found about ten years ago :D
    A bonafide Guzzi fanatic took it off my hands, cleaned it up and got the gas stains off the engine castings - it looked new.

He's an inmate here (mblotz) that had several other great old Guzzis (collectibles), and a 961 Norton.
    He recently moved out of the country and sold them all .
    The '97 ended up back east or in the midwest somewhere, in the hands of someone who would appreciate it I'm told.
    JeffPM and MedicAndy like this.
  4. rocker59

rocker59 diplomatico di moto

Oddometer:
    I got them from SUDCO in 2003, so they've been on the bike 15 years. The FCRs and Staintunes are fantastic, really transforming the bike.

I bought the '96 Sport 1100 new in March 1997 as a leftover.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    MedicAndy likes this.
  5. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Get a drink and sit back in your favorite chair, since this posting will take a couple of minutes to read! :)

Before & After, this bike has come a long way! I bought this originally yellow, now painted in BMW red 1997 1100 Sporti two years ago on November 16th, 2016. I had been working (on & off) on sorting this bikes issues out starting back in November 2016, and I finally had her sorted in October 2018.

My bike (picture below) started her life off as a yellow 1997 1100 Sporti. Her original owner wanted a red 1100 Sport, but none were left for purchase back in 1997, so he bought himself the only other 1100 Sport, which was a yellow one still available for purchase and painted her in BMW red. I always wondered why he first of all painted the bike, since yellow looks pretty good on the 1100 Sport, but why did he choose to have this bike painted in BMW red and not the Moto Guzzi red?

Either way, the bike was painted in late 1997. The original owner did a couple of modifications to this bike, which were the removal of the ram air box, which he replaced with K&N pod filters, and he removed the stock exhaust and installed a Mistral exhaust system including a Mistral crossover. He also changed the original ECU's operating chip out with a 1st generation Will Creedon performance chip. I also received with the bikes purchase a nicely done and very detailed handwritten maintenance book which the original owner started and the second owner continued.

[​IMG]

This picture of the now painted BMW red bike below was taken by her second owner after he bought this bike. He owned this bike from July, 2000 until he sold be this bike with now 25200 miles on the clock in November 2016. I noticed upon arrival to the professors house in Ann Arbor, where the bike was sitting in his garage, that the front tire was in such bad shape that there was no way that I could ride this bike. However, the bike fired right up, all electrical items worked properly, the engine sounded healthy, all gears shifted as they should, and all fluids were clean. So, I completed the transaction and paid for this red beauty.
    [​IMG]

I took the picture below after we loaded the now "my bike" up into my truck. I was soon back on my way to Raleigh NC, which was a return trip to my home of approximately 700 miles / 12 hours drive.
    [​IMG]

Here is what this 1100 Sporti looks like today. She doesn't really seem that different from when her original owner still had her. However, looks can be deceiving........ I had new tires installed as soon as I got this bike home, which allowed me to take this ride out for the first time. I noticed right away that both the front and rear brakes were shot, and that the engine after she warmed up started to hiccup and spotter really bad. The engine would also not stay running at idle.

I assumed that maybe all she needed was some fresh fuel and a tuneup to fix whatever was ailing her. I also changed the plugs, cleaned and oiled the pod filters, replaced the fuel with 93 octane ethanol free fuel, changed the oil and filter, checked and adjusted the valves, synchronized the injectors, installed a new Odyssey battery, installed new Brambo front and rear rotors and pads, rebuild the brake calipers and then replace the brake fluid. I also replaced the timing chain and tensioner, serviced the gearbox, the final drive, and cleaned / greased the drive shaft.

She now handled great, and the Brembo brakes functioned perfect. However, the engine didn't do any better after the tuneup. Still huffing and puffing, hiccuping, and cutting off whenever she felt like it. I then got some good feedback from several forum members about making sure that I had the Creedon performance chip actually installed within the ECU, which I did.

I also received an email from Will Creedon himself..... He told me that he actually remembered working with both the first and second owner of this bike with some engine issues they had. Will told me that the second owner bought a second generation ECU performance chip from him, and that he (Will) gave him written instructions on how to setup the fuel delivery system and tuneup the bike to eliminate the engine issues.

Will Creedon send me the tuneup instructions too, so I was on a mission now to get the engine / fuel system dialed in. To my surprise, the second owner actually decided to completely bypass the bikes ECU's fuel system program and the Creedon Chip by installing a Power Commander III............

I uninstalled the Power Commander and rewired the fuel injectors back into the ECU. I then removed the pod filters and reinstalled the ram-air box with a K7N filter. I also set the valves between the Moto Guzzi and Receco racing recommended settings. I then restarted this bike and she fired right up without the engine cutting off, without hiccuping, huffing, or puffing.

I finally took her out for our first ride last month and she did absolutely great. I still need to fine-tune the valve settings and the fuel lean / rich settings, but this bike is 95% sorted out by now.

I also changed the front turn signals, which were smaller Ducati turn signals, back to the original 1100 Sport turn signals. I also had the valve covers powder coated, since there were some minor scratches and blemishes on the original covers. I also had the passenger seat re-lathered in black, which I like better than the red lathered seat she had when I bought her. This bike is also in need of a good detailing job, so this will happen this winter!

Although I only had ridden this bike now for about twenty miles since I serviced her two years ago, it's time again to replace all fluids since they and the filters are already two years old by now. And now winter is coming..... So I'm now looking forward to next years riding season!

But yes, this bike gave me plenty of headaches during the last two years! I also came close on several occasions to take my 12 ga police shotgun to take her out.... I'm now glad that I didn't give into temptation! :)

[​IMG]
  6. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    I just bought me a couple of 1100 Sport parts which will turn one of my American 1100 Sports into a "Trapezoid Headlight" bike. I don't know why, but the Moto Guzzi design team decided to install rectangular shaped lights on bikes that were destined to some countries, and trapezoid shaped lights for other countries. I like the rectangle design, which was installed on the approximately four-hundred 1100 Sports that were sold here in the US, so all seven of my bikes have those rectangular headlights. Well, a guy out of Oslo Norway, who is a member of the FB 1100 Sports forum, is parting out a 1100 Sports, and that bike has the trapezoid light. Make a long story short, the guy sold the parts at a great price to me, so I bought all parts needed (and a couple more spare parts) to transfer one of my bikes over to the trapezoid headlight design. It's a good thing that I don't keep up with the $$$ I pump into my bikes.......

fullsizeoutput_21448.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_21445.jpeg

This is what the end product will look like. I like the partial red painted wheels too, so I may paint my bikes
    wheel in a similar pattern one day.
    1100Sport_14.jpg

This is my bike which will be the recipient of the trapezoid headlight fender design. This bike was imported from Germany, and it has the original to this bikes rectangular headlight currently installed.
    fullsizeoutput_1fcf7.jpeg
    twowings likes this.
  7. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    some day I think ill have one, I passed and bought a Kawasaki ZX-9 in 1996. of course the current retro bike in the stable is a ZRX-1200R. But some day I'll have a Guzzi!
    MedicAndy likes this.
  8. ajpjive

ajpjive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking good Andy! Mine is presently being overhauled, but I'm hoping to have some pictures up here sometime soon. Ending up being a good bit more work than I'd expected, even without addressing cosmetics!
    MedicAndy likes this.
  9. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Too sad, but two more, one red 1996 carbureted from the Netherlands & one black 1997 EFI Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport out of England met their end within the last four weeks. The red 1996 had too many issues to fix, according to her owner, so he decided to part this bike out in order to recover the money that he had already put into this bike. Too bad that we lost another beautiful red 1100 Sport, but good for me, since I bought many parts from this bike. The black 1997 EFI 1100 Sport was wrecked about three weeks ago when a car drove into the rear of this bike. This bikes owner is still soar, but he will recover fully soon. The owner told me that his bike was considered a total loss by the insurance company since the bikes frame was supposedly bent a little. The bikes title was branded salvage, and this bike will never be allowed to return back onto the roads. So this bike will turn into another parts bike.

So the 1100 Sport family has lost at least five 1994 - 1997 bikes during the last year that I am aware off. The 1100 Sport was already a pretty rare bike to find these days, and loosing five more will make it even harder to find one of those elusive 1100 Sports if you want one.

54519862_10156113918712304_7191595164291301376_n.jpg

56742619_10216662534933901_5690922772046282752_n.jpg 56325268_10216662516453439_6637331073556545536_n.jpg
  10. ajpjive

ajpjive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shoot, super sorry to hear of the loss of these two. Glad you ended up with some great parts from the red Sport anyways, @MedicAndy.

Would love any advice you or others have on redoing the fork seals on my 1100 Sport, as it arrived to me with them blown. Bought new seals, dust caps, bushings, o-rings, and brake pads, as they'd been leaking for a while and had fully soaked the old pads. I've gotten the forks off, but they're a bit different from other USD forks I've worked on (first time doing them on a Guzzi). The manual calls for a special tool, cod.30927800 to remove the internal/external adjustment unit on the top of the fork, which should allow for the spring and such to be removed. Probably a silly question, but any suggestions for how to proceed or for what to use in this step? Some pictures are below of the section in question, as well as of the relevant page in the manual.

Additionally, it looks as though a previous owner used a set of vice grips or something on the top cap, as they're both a bit chewed up, particularly the left one (shown in the first pic). I'm guessing that will just require dealing with it or buying a new cap, but if you have any suggestions for cleaning that up, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thank you so!
    -Andy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
  12. ajpjive

ajpjive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice! I'm not a Facebooker, but if I fully get in a pinch, I may just swing for an account.

Ended up making myself a tool, then was able to extract them. The threads were quite jacked up on the right one, so I went ahead and ordered a new adjuster unit. Surprisingly, Harper's had them in stock. Needed to do a good bit of cleaning inside the forks. There was about a centimeter of grime sitting on top of the seals--no wonder they were leaking! Had to polish up a bit where the seals sit too; seems a previous owner was rather blunt changing them previously and dinged up the inside in a number of spots. Now I'm just waiting for my Harper's order to get in, then I'll reassemble and move on to the next of this bike's many projects.

Best,
    Andy
    MedicAndy likes this.
  13. ajpjive

ajpjive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Harper's order came in--hooray! Figured I'd post up a couple pics to keep in the theme of this thread.

Here's with the plastics stripped off, before starting in on the forks. Needed an absolute TON of cleaning, which I thought was a good first step. Valve covers had been leaking for a good while, and there was grease, crud, and grime on pretty well every inch. Spending a ton of time with a toothbrush, dental picks, rags, and degreaser.
    [​IMG]

Ordered a new foam dash surround from Kristian, as the one that was on there was fairly dinged up. Dash was one of the least dirty parts of the bike, but it still looks a heck of a lot better with a clean up!
    [​IMG]
    MedicAndy and twowings like this.
  14. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Why say "No" when it feels so good to say "Yes"....... One would think that me already owning seven 1100 Sports would be enough, but no, no, no...... this bike is way to nice to pass up! So here is my newest addition to the barn. I'm driving up to Chicago next weekend to take her home to her new stable. This silver beauty is a one owner Carb 1995 MG 1100 Sport.

This bike comes with a full Termignoni exhaust system, carbon front fender, chrome moly push rods,
    heli bars, Ventura rack, Delrin Manifolds, Throttlemeister, and new batteries. The current owner also
    saved all of the original parts like the air box, exhaust, and fender, which will come with this bike.
    fullsizeoutput_21522.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_214da.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2151f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_21520.jpeg
    Scoozi likes this.
  15. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Very nice find.

You have a Guzzi museum all to yourself. Might have to start charging admission to the unwashed just to pay for them all.
    MedicAndy likes this.
  16. motodutch

motodutch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a chance to pick up a 97 1100 sport with 40000 on the clock what should I be looking for
  17. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Is it 40k miles or km? Either way, I know owners who have 60-70k miles on their 1100 Sports, and their bikes still run great. It all depends on how the bike was treated and serviced since new. I would make sure, if I were the buyer, to see the bike in person before buying it. A lot of older bikes in general will need new brakes, rotors, some cosmetic work, maybe a battery, new tires, some of the early 97 Sports have straight cut transmission gears, which may need to be replaced. 97's also had issues with the EFI's fuel mapping, so you need to make sure that those issues were addressed. I think if you take the time to read some of the messages that I have posted here on some of my bikes will give you some indications on what to look out for. You can also Google "Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport", and you will find lots of information that should also help you in identifying on what to check, ask, or look out for.

Good luck to you!

Andy
  18. motodutch

motodutch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Andy I have read many of your posts all good info. Is there a way to know if the trans has straight cut gears? Where is the best place to find parts?
  19. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    A "Straight Cut Gears" transmission (versus the better helical gears used in almost all 97's) will make a very noticeable whining sound, which is normal for that type of transmission. The transmission is also pretty loud and clunky when shifting gears, which is also normal. Change the transmission fluid and look for metal shavings on the drain plugs magnet, which would indicate possible gear issues. New replacement gears are not available for purchase, but other gears from a 5 speed gearbox should work in the Sports gearbox. There could be possible issues with the speedometer, since a different gear set will change the gear ratio. ps: You should not shift into 5th gear unless you are going at least around 75-80mph. Going into the 5th gear at slower speeds will eat the gear up. Same with all other lower gears, don't baby them, ride the 1100 Sport like you had just stolen it...... The 1100 Sport's gear box was designed originally for the race track, so they like high rpm's and higher speeds. A 1100 Sport is not a good bike for riding in the city or stop-and-go traffic.

MG Cycle and Harpers are great places to check out for parts, but many parts are not available anymore, so eBay may be your best friend here, if parts come up for sale. I also bought a lot of spare parts when sellers post items for sale on different Guzzi forums. FB has a great 1100 Sport forum with close the 600 members, which is also a great resource when having issues with a bike or just trying to learn about them). I have bought many parts from that particular forum, when members either post parts for sale or sometimes even part an complete bike out.
  20. ajpjive

ajpjive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @motodutch, if you go in person, bring a pen light and ask the owner to pull the transmission fill plug. It's on the right side of the bike and is super easy to get to. Shining a light down there should clearly indicate whether the gears are straight-cut or helical.

I'd second Andy's sentiment to go in-person as well. I purchased my '95 Sport from a distance with ~37k on the clock. Got plenty of pictures and a video from the seller, but there were many things not disclosed (blown fork seals, non-functioning rear brake, a few stripped bolts, cosmetic issues). Especially with the relative difficulty and high cost of tracking down parts, you're going to want to know any work that needs done from the start.
    MedicAndy likes this.