Moto Guzzi 1994-1998 1100 Sport Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MedicAndy, May 15, 2018.

1. ajpjive

ajpjive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Figure I'll double post and give a bit of an update on my saga as well. Turns out the leaking left valve cover was due to two stripped out bolts. To add to the headache, a previous owner had botched rethreading with heli-coils, necessitating different rethreads. Ended up drilling out and using EZ-LOK steel inserts. Truly a wonderful product. Reassembled, and no more leak! Forks and front brakes are now rebuilt as well, and the front half of the bike is pretty well good to go.

Took it out for a quick test jaunt yesterday, and it's definitely on the up and up. After having been neglected for so long, it's nice to be bringing this ol' Spot back up to snuff. Next steps are to disassemble and rebuild the rear brake system, service the drive shaft & FD, and service the carbs, as it's currently stupid slow to warm up to idle. Need to bed in the front brakes too, as they're currently quite grabby.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MedicAndy likes this.
  2. MedicAndy

MedicAndy It's not always easy being me!

Oddometer:
    I had another long day in the barn today! I'm finally getting some of my bikes issues sorted out!
    My first task was to replace the factory closed air box with a modified open top. The 95 Sport I bought a month ago had velocity stacks as unfiltered air intakes mounted on the carbs. I reinstalled the original factory air box with a K&N air filter. The bike's engine idled really rough when I started her up while the engine was cold. The engine also didn't seem to get up and go..... The carbs were jetted for the open velocity stacks, which didn't work out as well with the factory air box. I had a spare air box top, which was "cut open" to allow for more air to get to the carbs. I installed that open top, and the bike really liked the extra amount of air that her engine is getting now, since this bike idles again nicely and rides / pulls strong again.

Factory closed air box design
    fullsizeoutput_217ef.jpeg

Modified design with cutout allowing for greater air flow.
    fullsizeoutput_2180f.jpeg

1995 (with cut-out air box) and 1996 1100 Sport with K&N pot filters
    fullsizeoutput_21841.jpeg
  3. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    I’m leaving for Arkansas on Friday to pick up a (new to me) 1996 Spot. This is a one owner bike which comes with some nice upgrades. This bike has a complete Staintune exhaust, GP brake calipers, iron brake rotors, 41mm Keihin FCR carburetors, K&N filter, WP forks, and a “Pete Roper Sloppage Plate”.

I’m also getting a spare set of wheels, a still in the box new set of Staintune headers with crossover, and lots of spare parts & manuals.

This bike is also painted in MG red with the golden decals, which is a perfect match with the trapezoid fairing conversation parts I bought from a guy out of the Netherlands a couple month ago.

The only down side with this bike..... It’s in Arkansas, almost in Oklahoma, which will be a 2200 miles round trip for me to get this bike to her new stable here in Raleigh, North Carolina!

fullsizeoutput_2195e.jpeg

The current owner on a track day, where this bike is meant to be!
    26243970_cFoSE-M.jpg
    Scoozi, racer1735 and twowings like this.
  4. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful, classic, bike! Let us know when its made its way safely back to your place!
    MedicAndy likes this.
  5. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Here is my latest addition to the 1100 Sport collection. I drove up to Fayetteville, Arkansas in late June and picked up the Red 1996 Carb Sport. This bike is as nice as the owner stated, and she rides as good as she looks. I'm getting ready within the next month or two with converting this bike over from the US rectangular design headlight fairing to the European trapezoid headlight fairing. I already serviced this bike, and she was also in dire need of a good cleaning and detailing. I also had a spare set of wheel I received with the purchase of this bike powder coated in gold, which I hope will look good with the matching golden Guzzi Eagle decals and the golden Brembo rotors on this bike.

I stopped at the Bass Pro Shop in Memphis, TN on my way back home. What a place! This is a "Must See" when visiting Memphis!
    fullsizeoutput_219f1.jpeg

This bike had been sitting unused in the Garage for around two years before I picked her up. She was in need of a full service and a lot of detailing!
    fullsizeoutput_21aad.jpeg

24 years worth of dust and grease needed to come off......
    fullsizeoutput_21ae6.jpeg

She cleaned up pretty nice. I cleaned her a second time since I had taken this picture, and she looks now as good as all of my other bikes do.
    fullsizeoutput_21a92.jpeg

I'm also going to install the new Staintune crossover and header pipes that I got with this bike. I will then make restoring the currently installed Staintune crossover and header pipes a winter project.
    fullsizeoutput_21a86.jpeg

Lets hope that the golden wheels will look good on this bike.......
    fullsizeoutput_21a60.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_21a7d.jpeg

Here are the newly powder coated wheels. I also bought new Pirelli Angel GT II tires, Brembo brake rotors, valve stems, and new wheel bearings.
    fullsizeoutput_21cb8.jpeg

The shop did a great job with matching the golden color of the wheels and cylinder guards to the golden Eagle decals.
    fullsizeoutput_21cbe.jpeg

European front fairing trapezoid design which I'm installing on this bike.
    IMG_3653.JPG
    Pantah, twowings, vato_loco and 2 others like this.
  6. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    And I really didn't plan on another project, but I was contacted about another 1100 Sport that came up for sale in Canada. I have seen pictures and read stories about this bike, so to make a long story short for now, I'm heading up North to Toronto in October to pick this Italian beauty up. This bike will be the "Holy Grail" of my 1100 Sport collection. I will get into more details, the history of this bike, and better pictures after I get her home.

guzzi-left-side.jpg

guzzi-dash.jpg

guzzi-tank.jpg

guzzi-brake.jpg

guzzi-engine.jpg

guzzi-muffler.jpg

guzzi-carbon-600x398.jpg

fullsizeoutput_21c8e.jpeg
    Scoozi and KneeDrachen like this.
  7. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Here are a couple of my bikes in some newer lineup pictures.

fullsizeoutput_21bc8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_21bb6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_21bb9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_21bbe.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_21bca.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_21bb5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_21cb5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_21cfa.jpeg
    twowings, Scoozi, KneeDrachen and 3 others like this.
  8. ajpjive

ajpjive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here I thought you'd said you were going to downsize! That's a whole lotta Sports! I'm curious to hear your cleaning process for that one you picked up in June. Mine was absolutely filthy when I received it, and even after lots of elbow grease, there's still work to be done.

On that note, I finally have my '95 Spot road-worthy. After being sold to me as a good-to-go in January, I've now rebuilt the FD, fixed a left side cylinder head leak, rebuilt the forks, changed brake pads & overhauled calipers front and rear, replaced rear master cylinder, rebuilt & sync'd the carbs, delved into the transmission, addressed loose handlebar controls, fixed some minor drips, replaced the horn, replaced battery, new tires, and changed fluids. A few other little things to sort out, but now it's time for the fun work -- aesthetics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    twowings, Scoozi, kaput13 and 2 others like this.
  9. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    I'm so sorry to hear about all of the issues you had with this bike. I had some issues with every 1100 Sport that I bought, but all of the issues I had between the ten I own now does not total up to the issues that you had with your bike. The biggest issue I have with your purchase is that the seller is a Guzzi guy and a member of the Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi forum. But, it all doesn't matter at the end!

I am glad that you are getting this bike now sorted out, and that you are finally getting to enjoy your bike. You at least now know what you have after all of the work you done to her already.

So about cleaning the red 1996 Arkansas bike.... As you can see in the pictures, I removed the fuel tank, seats, air filter box, and the rear fairing first. I then covered all electrical connections and the carbs air intake ports. I first bought several cans of Gunk Original Engine degreaser and a lot of different size brass metal and plastic brushes. I soaked the entire engine, gear box, drive shaft, and the final drive with the Gunk degreaser and I let it soak in for about ten minutes before I started with the metal and plastic brushes for about 45 minutes. I then power washed the entire bike. I was pleasantly surprised on how clean that bike turned out. I then did a complete service which included changing all fluids and filters.

Although this bike was a little neglected in the visual aspects, her last owner (who is a Moderator at Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi) did keep up with the mechanical workings of this bike. The only issues I had was a blown out final drive seal, which the seller told me about before I bought his bike.

Oh yes, about my downsizing plans...... Those are still a go! I have ten 1100 Sports now, and a couple of other bikes, which is just too many...... I will still sell 4-5 of my bikes, but I just don't know yet on which ones I'm going to set free........ I'm thinking that the Silver 96, the yellow 97, and the painted in BMW red 97 will be offered for sale. I also have a almost pristine 4700 original miles 1979 Yamaha XT500 which is probably also going to be sold.

fullsizeoutput_21a66.jpeg

Lot's of years worth of road dirt and dust....
    fullsizeoutput_21af0.jpeg

But it's only dust, and I used a little 409 Kitchen cleaner, which did great with cutting down the dirt.
    fullsizeoutput_21a3f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_21a89.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_21ad4.jpeg

The "FCR 41" carb label was the only thing that was damaged during the cleanup. I already bought me new 40mm air intake manifolds , which will also be installed soon.... So many little projects....... fullsizeoutput_21a87.jpeg

I need to buy me a better high pixel camera, so that I could make he some high definition 36" X 24" wall pictures. I love the details shown within this photo.
    fullsizeoutput_21afb.jpeg

Re-installation of the air box with a cleaned K&N filter.
    fullsizeoutput_21a5b.jpeg

It's almost perfect, except the exhaust which will need lots of future attention.....
    fullsizeoutput_21bd6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_21bd3.jpeg
    twowings, Scoozi, fireflyr and 3 others like this.
  10. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every picture i see on these forums taken in North Carolina look good, add these Guzzi's and they just get better. Is all of NC this pretty? never been there.:thumb
    MedicAndy likes this.
  11. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    I think that North Carolina is like most States here in the US. You have really nice places, and others are not so nice. However, one of the things I really like about NC are the mountains, you can't get away from trees or country sides, and that the Carolina beaches are only a couple of hours away if you need a change in scenery!

I have visited and worked in many US States, but I was mostly confined to their Cities. I am now planning a 8 to 10 weeks "Explore America" vacation during the summer of 2021. The plan is to load one of my bikes up into my truck, which will also be loaded with camping gear, tools, food..... and leave NC heading west towards Seattle, then down the Pacific Coast Highway towards Mexico, and then back to North Carolina. The plan is to stop in many States along the way, unload the bike and then explore specific areas of each State that I'm visiting on my bike. I will then, after I saw what I came to see, load up my bike into the truck again, and drive to my next picked destination, and the do it all over again. I'm planning on visiting many States along the way. I especially look forward to the Dakotas, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Oregon, and California.
    vagueout likes this.
  12. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Always wanted to own one of those, but never see them for sale in my area. You seem to be in a Guzzi rich area of the country :-)
    MedicAndy likes this.
  13. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    I finally had some time to get a couple of projects completed. I drove up to Toronto Canada and picked up my latest stable addition, a yellow 1997 Sport. This bike looks, rides, and sounds absolutely perfect. I had to wait for an hour at the Peace Bridge border crossing for the US Customs agents to decide if they would allow me entry with this bike into the US. That was one long hour I spend waiting in a little holding tank at the Customs office..... But, they finally allowed me and the bike to enter. All in all, I drove 37 hours and around 1900 miles round trip in three days to get this bike home.

fullsizeoutput_220f2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_22076.jpeg

I also installed the original factory air filter back into the silver 95 Sport I bought earlier this year from the Guzzi Doctor out of Chicago. I liked the looks of this bike without the air box, but I was concerned about sucking in dirt and dust into the carbs via the unfiltered velocity stacks.

This is how the bike looked when I bought her with the velocity stacks installed.
    fullsizeoutput_21b7f.jpeg

And this is how she looks now with the original factory air box installed again.
    fullsizeoutput_21b94.jpeg

I also installed the newly powder coated golden wheels, the European Trapezoid headlight and fairing, new Pirelli GT II tires, and new wheel bearings onto this 1996 Sport. I also replaced the stained Staintune header exhaust pipes and crossover and replaced those with a new Staintune set, which came with this bike when I bought her. I must say that this red 1996 with her golden Guzzi decals really looks nice now, especially with the new golden wheels, new exhaust, and the trapezoid headlight conversion. The next project for this bike will be to turn her into a true one seater. I already bought a rear cowl and a spare fairing that I'm having fiber glassed together. Then off to the paint shop, installation, and I'm done with this bike........
    fullsizeoutput_2227b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_21f96.jpeg

I also decided that I'm spending way too much time working and servicing my 12 bike herd, so I started selling some of them off. Two of my 1100 Sports, a silver 1996 and a red 1997 are heading to their new homes this weekend. I'm going to sell two more bikes, a yellow 1997 1100 Sport & a 1979 Yamaha XT500, which will get the herd down to a more manageable number.

This 1997 is heading to her new home in Virginia on Sunday.
    fullsizeoutput_21128.jpeg

This 1996 will be heading to New Jersey also on Sunday.
    fullsizeoutput_22117.jpeg

This 1997 is going to be listed next.
    fullsizeoutput_22294.jpeg

And here is the last bike I'm selling for now. This is my 4.7k original miles 1979 Yamaha XT500.
    fullsizeoutput_22260.jpeg
    Scoozi, ajpjive, 996DL and 2 others like this.
  14. Achro

Achro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That red ‘96 is very sweet, loving the color combo there. Thanks for sharing your efforts
    MedicAndy likes this.
  15. MedicAndy

Oddometer:

Hi Andy,

Just an FYI: Make sure that the two "Final Drive" mounting bolts shown in the picture below are fully seated and secured in place with some blue loctite. Someone I know from a different forum had one of the bolts walk out by itself and eventually got caught by the rear wheel, and thereby destroyed it. I checked about halve of my bikes now, and I had one set of bolds barely still in place. It would have only been a matter of time before my wheel would have also been eaten up by one or both of the final drive mounting bolts.

A costly but easily to avoid maintenance issue.
    IMG_6956.JPG
    Make sure that you will add loctite to both of the bolts!
    fullsizeoutput_22401.jpeg
  16. ajpjive

ajpjive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip Andy! I'll definitely go back through and double check I loctited them! Need to finish up tightening down my new front rotors anyways. I was having a bit of pulsing in my front left rotor, so I thought it worthwhile to go ahead and change them out. As with everything else on this bike, ended up being a bit of a chore. Last guy soaked down the rotor bolts with red loctite prior to installation. Getting those out was.....fun.
    MedicAndy likes this.
  17. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    I have spend several hours a couple of weeks ago with servicing this 1997 Sport. I bought this bike almost four years ago, and I managed to add a whopping (give or take) 400 miles to her since then. I did give her a full service changing the engine, gearbox, and the final drive oils out. This bike had been sitting for most of her life in a Wisconsin motorcycle museum, so this ride is in almost perfect condition. However, the rear seat's fiberglass fairing had one area with some paint respray, and about ten spots which were touched up with red paint. This is nothing that would be noticed by anybody but me, which makes it a problem. I contacted a local label printing company, and they can reprint the Guzzi decals I would need in order to restore the rear seat fairing. I was looking of spending around $600.00 for the new decals and for a custom shop to repaint the fairing. Well, I had some time on my hands last week, so I searched the internet for some 1100 Sport parts. And, lightning struck when I found a factory original old stock 1997 red "new" rear fairing for sale by a Guzzi dealer out of the Netherlands, who still has a couple of original body parts for the 1994-1997 1100 Sports in stock. Who would have thought....... Needless to say, I bought this new rear fairing, and spend $370.00 on it, which included the shipping charges too. Not a bad deal at all.......

Either way, good for me! :) I also for the first time since I bought her, detailed this bike a little. And I noticed some nice details, which I haven't seen or paid attention too so far. (That is what happens when working way too much, which needs to change). I noticed that many of this bikes aluminum parts were polished by either the original German owner (this bike was imported by the museum from Germany), or by museum staff. I knew obviously that the valve covers and the foot peg's mounting plate (called the pork chops) were polished, but I didn't realize until two weeks ago, that almost every aluminum part was polished, which really looks nice on this bike.

I took this picture last week after I completed with servicing this bike.
    fullsizeoutput_22573.jpeg

She is really shiny and looks great at night too!
    fullsizeoutput_224ef.jpeg

I also located a V11 Sport after marked starter carbon cover, which looks great installed on the 1100 Sport too.
    fullsizeoutput_224f2.jpeg

Can't wait to receive and install this new seat when it finally gets here sometime in a week or two!
    fullsizeoutput_225b9.jpeg

Lot's of shiny polished parts to look at
    fullsizeoutput_224d4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_224cd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_224cc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_224cb.jpeg

The insides of this bike are as clean and shiny as the outside parts are.
    fullsizeoutput_224d7.jpeg

The oil pan is clean enough, although being 23 years old by now, to eat out off..... :)
    fullsizeoutput_224b8.jpeg
  18. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Here are a couple of video clips from three of my 1100 Sport's, my 1996 GSXR 1100, and my C4 1995 Corvette.

This is my 1996 1100 Sport, which has a full Staintune exhaust with crossover, 41mm Keihin FCR's, and K&N air filters

fullsizeoutput_21f39.jpeg

This is a video clip of my 1995 1100 Sport, which has a full Termignoni exhaust with crossover, K&N filter, and Raceco Chrome Moly Push Rods.

fullsizeoutput_22330.jpeg

And this is a video clip of my 1997 1100 Sport, which has a full Mistral exhaust with crossover, K&N filter, and she has the Will Creedon performance chip installed in her ECU.

fullsizeoutput_22298.jpeg

I don't only ride Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport's, so here is my 1996 GSXR1100W, which is one super fast bike. She has 41mm Keihin FCR's, K&N filters, a performance exhaust, balanced cam, and, and.... This bike was raced in the late 90's at the Maryland International Raceway, and then ended up in a storage facility in Baltimore. I ended up buying this bike about four years ago, and it took lots of money to get this bike sorted and back onto the road. But yes, this bike is a blast to ride......

I love this picture!
    fullsizeoutput_2114f.jpeg

I love looking at this engine as much as I love looking at my Guzzi engines.
    fullsizeoutput_214a6.jpeg

And here is the money shot! A rack of four 41mm Keihin FCR's with K&N air filters installed. Those are the same carbs that I have installed on my 1996 1100 Sport.
    fullsizeoutput_20c2f.jpeg

And since I like things that make a little noise....

This is my 1995 LT4 Corvette, which I bought in 1999. She (Belinda) is a factory 6 speed car. The engine now has a Comp-Cam, American Racing Headers lead into a true x-brace 3" exhaust pipes leading into Borla mufflers. She also has a couple air intake mods and an electronic water pump installed. I love driving this car.....

ps: It's not a 96 LT4 GS, it's just a standard LT1. I added the GS stripe after I had to repaint this car due to a large tree branch that laded on her during a thunderstorm 6 years ago.

fullsizeoutput_21299.jpeg
  19. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    wow. Just.........wow
    MedicAndy likes this.
  20. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    @MedicAndy you should post up some video w/sound of those bikes on the road.
    MedicAndy likes this.