Moto Guzzi 1994-1998 1100 Sport Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MedicAndy, May 15, 2018.

1. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Envy is a sin. Yes, I am a sinner. Makes me want to get a Guzzi, rather than just look at them. Borla exhausts on a Vette are sweet (I have a full system on my C6). And what are the orange, coiled cable hanging from the left bar ends or some of the bikes?
  2. MedicAndy

MedicAndy It's not always easy being me!

Oddometer:
    The orange or yellow coiled cables are there only to remind me that I have a lock installed on a brake rotor.

97936022-5932-4544-824A-21C42A160CF4.png
    racer1735 likes this.
  3. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Another one of the originally 1314 hand-build 1997 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport was this time lost in Australia due to a traffic accident. I don't know anything about the rider, but I hope that he or she walked away from the accident unhurt and are OK.

This 1997 1100 Sport is now being parted out by an Australian motorcycle dealer.

IMG_8144.JPG
  4. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    January 30th update: I received a $170.00 refund, which is approximately 50% of the original purchase cost of the fiberglass seat section, so the seller (TLM out of the Netherlands) made good with the damaged, but repairable paint chip issue that the part had when it arrived at my home.

Original post:
    It was supposed to be Christmas in January........ My 1997 red 1100 Sport’s rear fiberglass seat section has several imperfections, which were made to look ok with the help of some touch-up paint by my bikes previous owner. However, those imperfections always bothered me. I was searching for some Guzzi parts last week, when I found a listing on eBay Germany for a brand new red 1997 1100 Sport rear fiberglass seat, which was offered from TLM, which is a Guzzi Dealer out of the Netherlands. So, here I go! Who would have thought that someone would still sell brand new fiberglass fairings and such for the 1100 Sport? I ordered the part and paid a little over US $330.00 for it. The box with the rear seat section was delivered Saturday morning, and I opened the box with high hopes to unpack and then to install the new perfect red seat section..... Well, it didn’t take but a second to see that this part had a nice chip already in the fiberglass...... Ironically enough, the add's pictures on eBay didn’t show this chip in the fiberglass, and the add only stated that it was a factory original “new” part.......

This is sooooo disappointing .........

I now have to either return this part for a full refund, I asked for a US$200.00 refund, and they came back with an offer of 100.00 Euro, which I countered at 150.00 Euro. So let's see if I'm going to keep this part so that I can pay someone to professionally repair the damage on that piece, or if I'm going to send this box back to the Netherlands for a full refund plus the return shipping cost.

When it seems to good to be true.....

83813582_10215597016310606_6318880104919334912_n.jpg 83764243_10215597016830619_8487655898670432256_n.jpg

Some may say that I'm too anal, and that $0.25 of some touch-up paint would take care of this issue..... And it would, but it still
    would not be perfect, and that is what I paid for. So it's going to be up to me now, if I keep this part, with finding a shop that can
    repair this fairing, so that the seat's fiberglass section will look perfect and not show a paint touch-up repair.
    83498395_10215597033591038_10367088979869696_n.jpg 83666085_10215597033751042_8959153663213830144_n.jpg
  5. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Not many bikes look good painted in yellow, but the 1100 Sport wears that color great! But then again, I have three 1997 yellow Sport's sitting in the stable, so I do have a couple of dog's, or maybe I should say, a couple of geese in this race! :)

fullsizeoutput_2229e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_220c3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_220f2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2228d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_20d7f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_22076.jpeg

And here is # 3, she is the ugly yellow goose for now. She doesn't look like it on the picture, but this bike needs a complete cosmetic restoration, after having sat under a tarp outside in the woods for seven years.
    fullsizeoutput_1fd76.jpeg
    Scoozi and Achro like this.
  6. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like yellow on Italian motor art. Today I saw a spectacular yellow Ferrari while bicycling in Scottsdale. I've always admired the yellow Ducati 748's of years past. I am going to do one someday. Maybe an older Monster? I have an SR2 in silver and black. Might be a shame to alter that one.
    MedicAndy likes this.
  7. GOSTAZ

GOSTAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Andy,
    I am really enjoying your thread! I was introduced to the 1100 Sport late in the game. A friend had a 1997 1100 Sport in yellow. It was probably 2006 or 2007 when I actually rode it. After that first ride? I was intrigued. Unlike anything I had ever ridden. And not in a bad way! Fast forward several years, and I was thinking I might like to have one. I tried to buy one a few times and things never worked out. The same friend that introduced me to the bike sent me a link to one for sale that I ended up buying based on pictures. The bike is not perfect, but has great potential. Since you have several 1100 Sports, I wondered if you might have the answer to some questions I have. Not trying to make you into a research assistant, but thinking you may know a lot about these bikes based on how many you have!

Here goes!

1. Do you know if there is a source for the blue paint code or formulation?
    2. Do you think it worthwhile to convert the 1/2 turn throttle to 1/4 turn?
    3. Do you know the total number of blue bikes? I have been told there were only 14 in the world by some sources, and only 14 in the United States by others. At the end of the day? It doesn't really matter, but it would be fun to know. I think the color works well with the shapes and lines of this bike.

Anyway, thanks again for the entertaining thread, and I hope you enjoy your bikes! IMG_6939.JPG
    This one is mine. Pic shot from the "good side" of the bike. The other side shows a tank blemish.
    Scoozi and MedicAndy like this.
  8. ajpjive

ajpjive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang Andy, so sorry to hear of the issues with that red rear fairing—what a bummer! Hopefully their reimbursement will cover touch up on that spot. I guess it’s a plus it’s just one knick as opposed to multiple, but still frustrating!

GOSTAZ, nice bike and great score with the sexy bluecolor! How’s your gearbox holding up? Aside from the tank blemish, what all needs done?

Mostly done with a recent project on my Spot, so I’m excited to get some pics up here soon. Thrilled about my recent buy though—a new-in-packaging fender for $55! My original fender has a good size crack in it along with a pretty awful repair job (also cracked) the past owner attempted. Looking forward to getting this one and the rest of the fairings painted this summer and have it back in business!

Attached Files:

MedicAndy likes this.
  9. GOSTAZ

GOSTAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ajp, When I first got the bike it needed a clutch spring and assorted pieces in the lever to clutch path. The bike has approximately 32k on it, and the transmission seems fine. No reports of metal shavings or such. This work was done at Harper's. As far as other work? I am trying to see if I can justify spending the coin to put Mistral's on it. I am envious of my friend's 1100 Sport, as it has Mistral's on it, and the voice of his bike in NIIIIIIIIIIIICE! That is a decision I have yet to make. I am separated from the bike, it is in the mid-west, while I am in the Maryland suburbs of DC. Not much left to do on the bike, (although I may get some professional help to make a tail section to replace the pillion seat, and perhaps if I do that, have hangers fabbed for the exhaust, thereby eliminating the passenger pegs. I will hang onto the stock stuff, but considering how I plan to ride this bike? I cannot see carrying a passenger) but I need to recover from a shoulder injury, which now that I am in my 50's, my body has a much longer recovery time than it did in earlier years.... I am looking forward to recovering and riding this beast, but I am not sure if that will happen this season. If it does? It will be a happy time for me! If it doesn't? I will keep on with therapy and ride when I can. Having ridden the bike just a little bit, I really like it!
    MedicAndy likes this.
  10. ajpjive

ajpjive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GOSTAZ--nice, that's not too bad in the way of work! Andy's the one to ask on different exhausts--he's got Staintunes, Mistrals, Termignoni, etc. on different bikes of his, and they sound great! I'm happy with the Mistrals on my 95' Spot. They definitely provide a nice sound, and they seem to be more attainable than some of the others.

Sorry to hear about the shoulder injury. I hope it heals up quick; it's a darn fun bike to ride!
  11. MedicAndy

Oddometer:

Hello my friend,

The 1996 & 1997 1100 Spot and Sporti's painted in blue definitely stand out. I really like my 1996 blue painted bike. The previous owner of my blue 96 didn't care for this bike as much as I would have for him to have done so..... My bike has many, many, many, and did I mentioned many paint flows? which range from small scratches to larger paint chips on every painted part. The rear cowl / seat fiberglass section has some damaged fiberglass, which was hidden when I bought this bike "sight unseen", under one of the applied extra decals, the front fairing has a small crack located on the right side mirror from when the bike must have been probably been tipped over at some point, the tank has some good sized scratches too, and, and, and...... The bike looks great in she shade, at night, or from ten feed away during the day, but up close, not so much.....

1) Either way, to answer your first question: I purchased red and a yellow 1100 Sport touch up paint, which was suppose to be a perfect match, and they weren't.... I have never seen a blue color touch up paint for sale, but I doubt that it would be a perfect match, if available.

I think the best way to get a true matching color code today would be to have a "Good Custom Paint & Body Shop" have the color match to what you actually have. Besides, our bikes are 24 years old by now, so the paint has probably faded some during the years. I had to replace a yellow front fender on one of my 1997 Sports, and the shop paint shop doing the work matched the yellow on that bike perfectly.

I am currently looking for a print shop to have new decals printed for my blue 1996. I will then have the custom body & paint shop that I'm using re-paint my bike in the original Guzzi 1100 Spot blue factory paint. It's going to take me a little while to get this project going, but I will post the blue paint mixture recipe / color code, after the shop matched the color.

2) I think that doing the 1/2 to 1/4 turn conversion all depends on what you prefer and where or the way you ride your bike. Although I have many bikes, I work way more then I should, so I get very little ride time in. However, I'm not much of a Stop & Go rider. I usually ride around our country back roads, so I don't really need to change gears or increase / slow down my speeds a lot, so I'm fine with the 1/2 throttle. I do however have throttle locks installed on two of my bikes, which I use often while riding on roads when a set speed will stay constant for miles and miles of riding.

3) I was also told when I bought my 96 blue 1100 Spot that it was 1 of 14 blue bikes, which where delivered by mistake to a dealer on the West Coast, due to a shipping mistake made by Moto Guzzi in Italy. Those 14 bikes were apparently suppose to be shipped to Australia, but ended here in the US by mistake.

However (and I could be wrong), I believe that Australia's uses the metric system, so distance / speed would be indicated as km & km/h and not by the US standard miles / mph. The speedometers outer speed indication on my blue 1996 is in mp/h, which would indicate to me that those bikes were actually meant for the US market.

Either way, I do believe that the blue 1996 & 1997's were probably the lowest production color bikes sold, and that only 14 blue 1100 Sports sold here within the US could be true.

Many 1100 Sport owners have been trying to find out on how many 1100 Sports were actually imported into the US, and in which color those bikes were painted in, but nobody really knows from what I have heard or read up on over the years. I think, and that is just my opinion, the around 200 of the 1994-1996 and another 200 of the 1997 1100 Sport made it to the US for sale.

And I do believe that the injected blue & silver 1997's would be the rarest 1100 Sport to find within the US, followed then by the 1996 blue Spot. I have only seen one silver 97 in a picture, which was taken in the late 90's at the Bonneville Salt Flats, and one blue 1997, which was sold about four years ago out of Asheville, NC.

I think, on average, the colors of the 1100 Spot & Sporti from lowest to highest production colors are:

1994 - 1996 carb models:

Blue, Silver, Black, Red (There may be some factory painted yellow Spot's out there, but I have never seen one)

1996-1997 EFI models.

Blue, Silver, Black, Yellow, Red (Silver & Black are probably pretty even in bikes produced)

Moto Guzzi started to build the 1997 injected models around October of 1996, but they are listed on the title as 1997 bikes. I own two of those October 1996 "97" models. One is painetd in Black, and the other in Yellow. One bikes vin number ends in 97, the other in 99, so both bikes were probaply build on the manufacturing floor in Italy at the same time next to each other.

I know that this is probably way more information that you were looking for........ :)
  12. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Nice find with this original silver wheel fender..... I'm turning green with envy, since my silver front wheel fender has a small crack in it too, and I have been looking for a new one for a long time too. Any chance that the people / company that you bought your wheel fender from would have another one?

Andy

ps: I settled with a 150 Euro refund on the paint flawed rear fiberglass seat section, which will not completely pay for getting the fiberglass section repaired, but it's going to be cheaper then needing to restore my currently mounted tail section. Plus the Guzzi decals and 99.9% of the 1100 Sports original red paint are still original, which is something worth to me too.
  13. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Just my thoughts on the Mistrals..... Get them, if you can. However, there is a little more work involved then just adding the slip-on pipes. I think, from looking at your bikes picture, that you still have the original Guzzi crossover installed? I would recommend replacing that crossover with an aftermarket one, which streamlines the exhaust exiting the system much better than the factory crossover. You will also want to re-jet your carbs with the Mistral exhaust / crossover. Moto Guzzi had to get the carbs jetted in order to pass the EPA import requirement back in the 90's, and not for best bike performance. There is lots of info online on what the best carb jetting setups are for our bikes. Some people will also recommend to drill about five or six quarter size holes into the top of the air filter housing cover. I did this to one of my bikes, so that the carbs get more air in, with the exhaust and crossover exiting the air faster too. I also installed an extra air box cover, which had the complete top cut out, and one of my other bikes, which is a 1995, and so far the bike seem to like the open cover. However, you need to do your own research and implement what you think will be the best setup for your bike and riding style.

Andy

ps: Hope you recover from your injury soon.

Here are a couple of pictures of a 1995 I bought which had the original air box removed by her previous owner. This bikes air intake came via a velocity stacks mounted on the carbs. I like for my bikes to get clean filtered air introduced into the carbs or injection systems (just a personal preference), so I installed the original factory air box, which came with the bike when I bought her. However, I replaced the original air box cover with another "open cut" cover I had as a spare, which allowed for much more air to get introduced into the carbs. Some people, and I am one of them, believe that the carbs of the 1994-1996 models are being starved of air, since the front fairing's air introduction system / air inlet holes due not introduce enough air into the system at legal speeds. Again, that is just my opinion, and I have been proven wrong of some of my opinions before, so please read up and make your own decision of what you think would work best for your bike.....

Setup as I bought this 1995 with the velocity stacks installed.
    fullsizeoutput_21b7f.jpeg

If unmodified, this is what your factory air box installed cover should look like.
    fullsizeoutput_217ef.jpeg

This is the modified open cut cover that I installed on this bike. However, this bike has the full exhaust headers, crossover, & Termignoni pipes. The carbs were also re-jetted for higher air flow in & out, she has special performance carb to cylinder manifolds, Raceco Moly stainless push rods, and I have special valve clearance settings due to the Moly push rod's. Those valve settings are unlike any other 1100 Spot or Sports if own, due to the Moly push rods, so I don't want to tell you what those settings are, since your bike would not run with those valve settings.
    fullsizeoutput_2180f.jpeg

And here is the bike back together with the now "modified" factory air box.
    fullsizeoutput_22330.jpeg

I don't have a picture of another 1996 modified air box, which has six quarter size hole drilled into the cover, but the picture below should give you a good indication of what I have done to that air box. (1997 injected models don't have the air starvation issues, which the carburetor models seem to have, so all of my injected 1100 Sports have the original unmodified air boxes installed). The reason why I modified that cover is because that red 1996 bike has a full Staintune exhaust (headers, crossover, and pipes), and this bike has the 41mm Keihin FCR's installed, which like to get all of the air that you can give them. Keihin actually recommends using velocity stacks on their 41mm FCR's, which I already stated above on why I don't like them.

This is the pattern I used to drill the six quarter size holes into the air box cover in order to allow more air to get introduced to the carbs
    fullsizeoutput_225f4.jpeg
    And the bike as she looks today.
    fullsizeoutput_21f39.jpeg
    ajpjive likes this.
  14. ajpjive

ajpjive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Andy, surprisingly enough I found the fender at Harper’s! I think they still have it up on their site, so it’s worth looking up.

Glad to hear on the rear fairing as well. Still quite a bummer, but that’s not a bad deal on the fairing regardless!

Also, superb post on venting the air boxes. Any idea if the air box cover from any other Guzzis will fit? I see V11 ones come up for sale fairly often, and I’ve been reluctant to cut into mine. I guess I could always try and 3D print something too, although I may need to be a bit creative as my printer has a fairly small bed.

Likewise, I have a K&N filter on hand but have been running stock paper filters thus far. Any preference between the two?
  15. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
  16. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    I will most definitely check with Harpers, one never knows, lightning could strike twice......

I could be wrong, but I doubt that a different bikes air box top would fit onto our 1100 Sports air box, especially looking on how everything like the tank, seat, and most importantly, how the air intake tubes are located. I was lucky that I had two extra spare air boxes, so I still have the original unmodified air box tops.

But I do see some of them coming up for sale on eBay every now and then. I will keep my eyes open and let you know if one comes up for sale.
    ajpjive likes this.
  17. Pilotus

Pilotus n00b

Oddometer:
    Long time Guzzi fan, its a long story and occurred accidentally, and its been a fever for a long time now....

Heres a pic of Gostaz' bike parked with my 97 1100 sport. My bike was found in Washington State while I was in D.C. working a long term stateside mission, had to have it, site unseen simply because of the single seat tail it had, I had been looking for one for a long time and when I stumbled upon this one, well I just had to have it. I had never even ridden one prior to this, and when it finally showed up, all I can vividly remember thinking on the maiden ride was... "What have I gotten myself into"

The PO sold this as runs perfectly, needs nothing...…. suuuuure…. I think I paid for the bike at least twice getting it tuned three times... twice by one shop who did not know anything about these even though they were a Moto Guzzi dealer, and finally perfectly tuned by Europa Machina. Bike came to me with the airbox removed and pod filters.

Blue 1100 sports (1996) the story I have heard is that a west coast (US) dealer or distributor(?) ordered 14 black ones with the code "BL" for black, the factory through the export read "BL" as Blue instead of Black... so 14 were pulled from assembly line to be painted blue, even though US not slated to get Blue bikes... and sent to US (which explains the square headlight), dealer was surprised to say the least to open up 14 Blue bikes, but kept them instead of paying to ship and return...… anyway, that's the way I heard the story from someone who has been doing Guzzi stuff for literally generations.

The solo tail on mine, it is not a graft or change, its originally constructed that way as no fill in fiberglass or overlay on the underside to show that it was a conversion from 2 up to a 1 up piece, and the bike has exhaust hangars that I have only seen on one other bike, a Daytona RS with a solo tail.

My other Guzzis...

A black and silver V11 Sport TT: "origin story" as I heard it, again west coast.... a dealer wanted to promot the sales of these so he put together 14 or 15 bikes in the black/silver combo and called them a TT.... similar to what Ducati does with their special color combos...

A V11 Sport CF (carbon fiber) again only 14 or 15, a special combination of CF parts on a Greenie V11 sport to help promote sales....

V11 LeMans (sold very recently)
    V11 Scura (sold very recently)

Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport nose to nose.JPG Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport 2.JPG Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport solo tail side view.JPG Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport solot tail top view.JPG
    Scoozi, Blakebird and ajpjive like this.
  18. ajpjive

ajpjive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang Pilotus, that solo seat is B-E-A-UTIFUL! Talk about a heck of a find. Glad to hear you've finally got it tuned up, and I'm sorry to hear it was such a chore to get it to that point.

Part of me is wanting to see if Airtech can make one like that. They make a copy of the standard--who knows, maybe they'll make up a solo too?

-Andy
  19. ajpjive

ajpjive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great to know. I'll see what I can do with the 3D printer. If you do ever find one on Ebay, I'd be quite interested! I'll look for the link from Harpers and send it your way too.

-Andy
    MedicAndy likes this.
  20. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    You have some really nice looking bikes there my friend!

I like your story on how we got the 14 blue 1100 here delivered much better and way more believable than the Australia shipping mistake scenario. And my blue 96 came from Vancouver, Washington State, as a one owner bike, so that would match the blue versus black ordered shipping / ordering mistake. Thanks for letting me know. I like the yellow’s tail section. I bought a fiberglass rear seat cowl, which I’m planning on having fiberglassed onto the passenger seat on my red 96, which will then look like your yellow one seater.