Moto Guzzi 1994-1998 1100 Sport Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MedicAndy, May 15, 2018.

1. ajpjive

ajpjive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd 100% agree with Andy's "you get what you pay for". I bought a 'budget' 1100 Sport a few years back, and it came to me as a royal POS. At this point, I've easily put my purchase price back into the bike.

That said, I'm frankly super happy I went this route. I'd worked on Guzzis and BMWs previously, but I've learned a TON about the 1100 Sport in having to address concerns with the forks, brakes, electrical system, transmission, top end, etc. If you're willing to put a bunch of time into a project and aren't super worried about getting your money back out of the bike, a project Sport can be a lot of fun.

^Caveat to that, I am remembering I messaged Andy earlier this year when I was damn near fed up with it and ready to sell. He helped convince me to take some time, then reconsider. Thanks again for the recommendation for patience, friend!
    MedicAndy and TonyKZ1 like this.
  2. Geoff

Geoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    MedicAndy, thanks for the comments. I’m retired. I buy and wrench on bikes in average condition, typically HD and BMW. 1100 Sports aren’t that hard to find. I’ve located a few within 50 miles of home. All are in rough condition. I also have a cousin with one in Hawaii. It has only 18k miles but it’s badly damaged from salt air and doesn’t run. The shipping cost is more than the bike’s value. Not sure what I’ll buy, but it won’t be a restoration. Restorations are typically overpriced for someone like me who likes to wrench and flip bikes.
  3. MedicAndy

MedicAndy It's not always easy being me!

Oddometer:
    Hello my friend, I need to know where you find all of those 1100 Sports within 50 miles of your home, since I only know of one other owner, besides me here in NC, that has a 1100 Sport. Only 200 of the 1997 EFI models, and probably about the same number of carb 1994-1996 1100 Sport's made it to the US, and a bunch of them have been wrecked, stolen, or parted out by now, so having several around your home, especially if they are in bad shape, could be a benefit when needing parts for a restoration project.

This bike is worth, in my humble opinion, a lot more then an estimated $800.00 shipping charge. I already have several part's and project / restoration1100 Sport's, and even I was still thinking about buying this bike, especially looking at the low milage. Even if this bike would only become a part's bike, it would be easily worth $2.5k plus shipping.

I have all of the parts needed to keep my 1100 Sport's running within my lifetime, and I can't just buy a 1100 Sport and do a half-way restoration, since my bikes need to be perfect, so I would spend way too much on this bikes restoration.......

I hope that this bike will sell for around $3k to someone who has time to patch up some of the cosmetic issues, install new tires, manifolds, and take care of the leaking final drive and whatever seems to be leaking on the engine, and then ride this bike "As Is". I think that this bike will be mostly sorted "As IS" right now, unless there are unforeseen mechanical issues, with the new owner spending another $2k to $3k. One of my 1100 Sport's has 124800 miles on the the clock, so this one here with only 13k miles will last the new owner a lifetime, if they take care of it.

But, I do agree that this bike is not worth buying and turning around flipping it for a profit. Even buying and selling it off in parts can't be justified, since they are not enough 1997 model bikes out there left needing parts.......
  4. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    And the bike sold for $4.1k plus $250.00 for the Auction fee. So congratulations to both the seller and the buyer, I think that both made out good an this bike. I think the buyer, if he or she keeps the paint color, will look into spending around $2k to refurbish this bike. I hope that we will see some pictures and get un update from the buyer on how this bike is coming along or how it turned out after everything was done!

1997 1100 Sport.jpg
    Florida Lime and ajpjive like this.
  5. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why the fuck doesnt guzzi make a retro one of these out of a v85?

aprillia get onto this

edit not that green thing
    ajpjive likes this.
  6. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    You need to ask that question to the Piaggio Group, who owns both Moto Guzzi and Aprilia. I’m pretty sure that they do not want for Moto Guzzi to compete with Aprilia, so sadly enough, the Moto Guzzi’s Sport bikes have lost out here.....
    ajpjive likes this.
  7. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    whoops i meant Piaggio

Not sure a v85 dressed as a retro sport bike from the 90s is going to impinge on aprillia
    ajpjive likes this.
  8. ysrebob

ysrebob yessiree, Bob.

Oddometer:
    20201119.jpg

Fellow Sport fans, anybody know of a replacement source for Guzzi's OEM stainless braided fuel lines? This Italian beauty gives me an oily left foot every time I ride her, and now that "winter garage project season" is here I'm on a campaign to replace all her old rubber... especially these fuel lines that have been living right beside the exhaust headers for a quarter of a century.
  9. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    Check with Harper's or MG Cycle, they both should have it. The part that you are looking for sells for $61.44 at Harpers, plus tax and shipping.

ps: I would also change the fuel filter, unless you already replaced it previously.

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 12.28.38.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 12.33.20.png
    ysrebob likes this.
  10. ysrebob

ysrebob yessiree, Bob.

Oddometer:
    Ah! Thanks Andy. I feel like a dummy now. I have been ordering from MG Cycle (who have been great, but AFAIK there's no fiche on their website so it's sometimes hard to figure out whether particular parts are still available). Had forgotten about Harper's.

The '97 has been fun to finish sorting and is pretty much running like a top. If I could just find Helibars or rig up some higher clipons to get the riding position a little more relaxed, it would really give the bike longer legs and life would be perfect. The handling is more sport tourer than full-on sportbike anyway.

6941.jpg
  11. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    steam powered likes this.
  12. Evomx971

Evomx971 Wave as you fly over

Oddometer:
    @MedicAndy absolutely wonderful thread! I am starting a fairly serious search for a Sport 1100 of my own and this thread has been an excellent read. Very much a bucket list motorcycle for me. I would be hard pressed to name a better looking bike.

A little backstory - in late 1997 I was on the hunt for a new motorcycle. I had turned over 20k miles on a 1986 Yamaha SRX600S (also very rare and almost as good looking as a Sport IMHO) but it was time for something with a little more power, better for distance and sure, electric start would be nice :)

Pic to make my post more interesting:
    20130904_101820.jpg

My local Ducati dealer, whom I'm good friends with, also carried MG at the time and had a 1997 Sport 1100i in the black/brown color. Was absolutely in lust with that bike. Lots of sitting and bouncing on the bike but didn't take a test ride. In the end, I bought a new 1998 Buell M2 Cyclone in black - another great looking bike IMHO. My nervousness about MG reliability and the fact the Buell was a fair bit cheaper made the decision for me.

BuellandHawkGT.jpg

So, then after 30k miles on that Buell I've moved on to ever more practical bikes with thoughts of the Guzzi that I passed on always present. Currently have what I consider an almost perfect stable consisting of a 2019 BMW R1250GS, a heavily modified 1994 Honda XR650L and a 2018 KTM 350 EXC-F. The Girlfriend rides a 2013 BMW F700GS.

I've convinced myself that as long as I feel I can generally get my money back out of a Sport - it's time to own one so have ramped up my "active watching". The perfect one would be a 1997 Sport 1100i in that black/brown color. The one MedicAndy bought did pop up on my searches when he bought it but it was a bit too nice/rich for what I was looking for. I think I'm going to see if I can get the VIN from my dealer buddy and see if I can actually track down the one I looked at back in 1997 somehow.

Interestingly, I've never seen a Sport on the streets here in the Des Moines area, however I have a friend of friends that I know has a red Sport (I believe it's a 97) that I think he might be interested in selling (and it would be well taken care of) and last fall someone in the area had what appeared to be a nicely sorted red '97. The price on it really wasn't bad and now I'm kicking myself a bit for not at least going to look at it. He had it listed a long time so not sure if he gave up or it sold. I've just kept holding out for a black/brown one... but I may be warming up to the red the more I went through this thread!

@MedicAndy - do you happen to know who might have had a red Sport in Des Moines? Maybe it was a Richard or Robert something? Looked like he had several Guzzi's. If I could get a name, I'd probably hit him up to see if he got it sold or not and if he was still interested.

Again - thanks for starting this thread and sharing all the great info and pics. Hope I might have a Sport to share in 2021!
  13. Evomx971

Oddometer:
    Ended up finding the old listing for the '97 that was for sale here locally last fall and was able to reach out to the seller. It did sell and went to Oregon! As the saying goes, you snooze, you lose right!?!

Will have to get the scoop on the other Sport that I think is around...
    MedicAndy likes this.
  14. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE “As the saying goes, you snooze, you lose right”

Will have to get the scoop on the other Sport that I think is around...[/QUOTE]

You are correct my friend, you snooze........ But, keep your eyes open, since another one will come up for sale again soon...... I actually sold my olive/black 97 to a gentleman a couple of month ago, who contacted me a day after he purchased the bike asking if I would buy it back from him. The 1100 Sport was his dream bike, but at 73 years of age, this bike was a little more than he now can handle. He contacted me again yesterday, and we may do a deal with me buying that bike back again, but let’s wait and see. I still have six 1100 Sport’s, and one parts bike, so I really don’t want to add the black 97 back to the herd, but stranger things have happened.....
  15. Evomx971

Oddometer:
    @MedicAndy - if you decide not to pursue buying back the '97 black/olive bike you had, I would be grateful if you could get me in touch with the seller. My purse strings have loosened up a bit and that appeared to be a fantastic bike in the exact year/color I've been looking for all these years.
  16. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
  17. Evomx971

Oddometer:
    So... this happened... more to come 20210129_181653.jpg
  18. MedicAndy

Oddometer:
    This is one great looking 1100 Sport, and I really really love those red wheels too! Whomever owned this bike, he or she really took great care of it. I also like that the front side-reflectors are still installed, since most every 1100 Sport that I own and have seen had those reflectors removed. I can't wait to see more pictures and additional updates on your new ride!

Well done, my friend!

Andy
    Evomx971 likes this.
  19. st3ryder

st3ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    You've at least somewhat redeemed yourself after posting a pic of that gawd awful Yamaha in a thread dedicated to one of the most beautiful ever motorcycles, even saying it looks just about as good, oh nooooo, by posting a pic of a real nice example of one of the most beautiful bikes ever designed. Maybe now you can now go back and delete that Yamaha pic and put it someplace more befitting which is not, I suggest, this thread. "the horror...the horror!"

Congrats on the new to you Goose. Looks very nice. :-)
    Evomx971 and MedicAndy like this.
  20. Evomx971

Oddometer:
    Some more details on my new ride. 1997 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100i. I'll be the third owner. Originally sold out of my buddy's Ducati dealership in Des Moines. Current owner has had it for the last 20 years but rarely, rarely rode it. He's a good rider and not particularly short but says he has just never been comfortable on it and really just kept it because it's so damn good looking and looks great with all his other Italian beauties. All the pics are from the current owners "shop" - he's a great mechanic, obviously he has some nice toys, and his shop stays at about 72 degrees year around - so other than not getting ridden, the bike has had a cushy life.

Only has 3,100 miles on it.
    Full D&D exhaust - sounds really good. Linking back to my time on a Buell - D&D had some good pipes for Buells back in the day.
    Has Heli-bars on it.
    The first owner powder coated the wheels red. Not really my thing - I'd prefer gold wheels on the red bike but the finish looks really good on them and they look better in person than they come off in pictures.
    Couldn't find a single scratch or issue in the bodywork.
    Pretty sure it's got the original tires on it :twitch
    Considering that the fuel in the tank is ancient, it fired up instantly (he said he's never had to use the "choke"). Settled into a nice idle, no weird sounds, accepted throttle well. Foot of snow on the ground and icy/snowy roads prevented a test ride but it clicked into gear as it should and clutch feel seemed normal.

Current owner hasn't done any tuning and wasn't aware of if it had any. He says it runs and rides great (and he's pretty picky about how bikes are tuned having ridden a fair amount of off road with him) which leads me to believe it likely has a creedon chip or has been similarly sorted.

Other than he thinks he has the owners manual, he said he doesn't have any of the original parts (original exhaust or the original clip ons)

Gotta get the snow pile in front of my trailer moved off but should be able to go pick it up this week.

20210129_181702.jpg 20210129_190202.jpg 20210129_190306.jpg