Moto Guzzi (and others) Front Axle Nut Socket

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Dons1911, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Dons1911

Dons1911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greetings to all! I have made a tool for personal use and am going to offer it up here for fellow inmates. I was led to this when I went to pull my front tire of my '17 Stelvio for the first time to take it to the local MC dealer to have a new tire mounted. Only got 4700 from the stock Pirelli's, but that's another story! After a bit of a scramble to find a 30mm socket that would fit into the recess in the front fork, I managed to get it off and got the new tires mounted. Then had to borrow another socket that I could adapt to use my torque wrench for re-install. Good Times! So I developed this tool with the idea that it could easily be slipped into a tool roll and taken along. It is small, weighing in at just less than 1 ounce, is made for a 3/8" drive Ratchet or Breaker Bar. Physical dimensions are 1.625" diameter and .500" thick. I have tested it repeatedly on a fixture I made just for over torquing, and it took 3x the require torque for my front axle nut before any noticeable distortion occurred. These are CNC machined from 6061 Aluminum and have a tumbled finish.
    KIMG0996.JPG
    KIMG0381.JPG
    KIMG0998.JPG

A couple Inmates have one of the earlier prototypes. I sent them out for testing and evaluation. I won't mention their names, but if they want to chime in that's all the better. Their input was VERY helpful and GREATLY appreciated! Thanks again guys!

I'm selling these for $32.50 each and they will be shipped First Class Mail. Please contact me via the Conversation feature here on ADV Rider. I have the first batch all set and ready to go!
    Dracula likes this.
  2. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Oops sorry looks like the V85 has a different setup that may/may not work. I'll get one for my Stelvio and report back to see if the V85 setup will work.
    Dons1911 likes this.
  3. XT Traveler

XT Traveler Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried a prototype on my V85 and it worked great on the front axle nut. FYI the rear axel nut is completely different.
    Torquemada, Dracula and Dons1911 like this.
  4. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    It works well on Stelvio, and I especially love how it's so compact & lightweight; mine now is part of the on-board tool kit. I am thinking perhaps the same front axle nut size is in fact standard on more than one motorcycle.
    XT Traveler and Dons1911 like this.
  5. Xlratr

Xlratr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks fantastic! Great work! I'm looking forward to having one of those in my tool kit :-)
  6. Dons1911

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words fella's! All parts ordered last night were shipped out today and tracking info has been PM'd. I've got a couple more orders today that will ship tomorrow.

@Utrider1 will have one at the rally in Ouray this weekend if anybody is going and wants to see one. Thanks for doing that Roy!

Thanks again for your support guys!
    Dracula likes this.
  7. Dons1911

Oddometer:
    I have a few more of these available...thanks to all who have ordered!
  8. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, is it suitable for the V85TT or not?
  9. Dons1911

Oddometer:
    While I personally do not have access to a V85, I sent my prototype to an inmate who owns both and the word is YES, it will fit. A few inmates have bought them for their V85's...
    Jayell likes this.
  10. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since the front is less likely to get a flat, I'd be more interested in a light weight compact 26 mm hex for the rear.
  11. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me too!
  12. Dons1911

Oddometer:
    Easy boys, patience please! I have a socket for the rear CADed up, just need spindle time to make the prototype and test it. It IS coming, standby! Thanks yo all who have bought a front socket!
    Torquemada and Jayell like this.
  13. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Keep us informed; will buy the set when they are ready. I don't yet own the V85TT, but I will next Spring :deal
  14. Jayell

Jayell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Don!

There aren't many choices for foot pegs for the V85TT in the aftermarket. The Rizoma and SW Motech ones are horrendously expensive.

Would you consider taking a crack at it? Something like this?

IMG_20191107_172039512.jpg

Those are on my Triumph Tiger, made by a guy of whom I've lost track.

I don't imagine you'd get rich, but you could count on at least one customer!
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  15. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Make that 2 :deal