Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 8v?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by A Knight Who Says Ni, Mar 14, 2010.

1. A Knight Who Says Ni

A Knight Who Says Ni Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone own one of these? I tried to find a thread here about it but could not.

The more I look over this bike, the more I like it. Because it is relatively rare, I might have to break my "no new bike" rule.

.....would really like to hear from some current owners
    darmahman likes this.
  2. staves

staves Weaponized

Oddometer:
    davyjones likes this.
  3. Kradmelder

Kradmelder Banned

Oddometer:
    I tried one recently.Bought a R1200R instead.
    Much better bike in practicality,handling,ABS,more fun to ride outside town where the Guzzi is cooler...
    And no parts/finding a dealership problems,either.
    Test ride both!
    davyjones likes this.
  4. A Knight Who Says Ni

Oddometer:
    some good info in that thread.. thank you

A test ride is a must, of course. There are some other bikes I'm looking at, but nothing quite turns me on as much as the Griso right now.
  5. staves

staves Weaponized

Oddometer:
    Have you considered a Breva 1200 Sport? There are some very good deals to be found on new, leftover 2008s.

Not exactly as sleek as the Griso, but darn sexy nonetheless.
    davyjones likes this.
  6. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ridden a Griso, and a 1200 Sport. The sitting position on the Griso is far superior, mainly because the 1200 Sport is essentially a Breva 1200 with shorter bars and a nice bodywork thing on the back. But they failed to move the footpegs back, so you are a human kite holding onto the bars. If your coming off a Harley with apehangers, I guess you'd think this was good, but,,,,,,,.
    The Griso 4v has more power than my V11 Sport, but the 2 valver Griso and the Breva 1100 and 1200 are a tad lazy for me. Slightly better handling by both, the Griso's handlebars give you really good leverage for quick handling.
    You know, you really should just ride a Moto Guzzi, you may not click with it. They really are different from most anything, you'll either get it or not.

Steve
    davyjones likes this.
  7. Humanbeingexpert

Humanbeingexpert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Griso is a very nice looking bike. The 4V makes it a serious contender.
    davyjones likes this.
  8. cbxtc6

cbxtc6 On my Way...

Oddometer:
    Hittman and davyjones like this.
  9. Humanbeingexpert

Humanbeingexpert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I gotta say that I will really consider that for my next bike, it would be nice to have an Italian performance/cruiser to go with the no compromise Hyper and Brutale.
  10. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    green is nice but the black looks soooo bad

[​IMG]
  11. A Knight Who Says Ni

Oddometer:
    apparently we cannot get that green SE edition in the US anyway
  12. Bullsnake

Bullsnake Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kradmelder-good to hear that report from you! I have an R1200R on the way to our local dealership-it'll share the garage with my GSA and a few Ducati's. I currently have my Griso 8V for sale right now on ebay, and although the bike is incredible and a work of art I just couldn't deal with the no dealers close issue. The bike has been trouble free, and I cannot see any issues with it in the near future, but having a BMW dealer 8 miles down the road is hard to ignore.

I will, however, really REALLY miss seeing that thing in the corner of the shop every morning...
  13. A Knight Who Says Ni

Oddometer:

the black one in Iowa?? I'm actually watching that one. Someone is going to get an amazing deal if the current price does not go any higher.
  14. Bullsnake

Bullsnake Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's mine. I am hoping that someone out there bids it up:D I actually picked it up from another member here on the board from Kansas City, and rode it quite a bit last fall. The bike is absolutely incredible, but I am trying to keep the number of bikes in the fleet down to a level where I can actually ride them all regularly!

PM me if you're seriously interested in it-I'd pull it from auction for a fellow ADV rider...
  15. A Knight Who Says Ni

Oddometer:
    man I would love to but it's not in the cards just yet

I need to wait another 6 months or so before I can pull the trigger on anther bike.

I really hope I can find a deal on an 8V like yours though. Good luck with it.
  16. Sir Not Appearing

Sir Not Appearing That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer:
    I really like the Griso, but being that I am Sir Not Appearing I felt it was only proper to post in A Knight Who Says Ni's thread.

:lol3
  17. A Knight Who Says Ni

Oddometer:

lol
  18. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Test ride is a must. I have a r1200r and picked up a Stelvio last fall. I love the BMW, but there is sooooooo much more to the Guzzi drive train to love. There are several posts on ADV, Sport Touring Net, etc. The dealer support with any brand is an important consideration, my MG dealer is 80 miles away and the nearest BMW shop is over 115 miles due to our local BM shop closing. Basically no real bad bikes out there today, but the MG is a true treat to ride. Both the BMW (twins) and MG are easy to service so it really comes down to what makes you smile most. The Griso has a better frame and other bits over the Breva/Sport (I like the Sport too).

TEST RIDE :evil :D :deal
    vhntr1 and davyjones like this.
  19. devonrider

devonrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Each to their own

Practicality :huh
    You still have to buy boxes and screen, heated grips etc. at extra cost so what's the difference - You can buy Guzzi luggage for the Griso, or Hepco & Becker do a three piece set.
    Handling :huh
    I beg to differ.
    The Italian has the edge over the Barvarian any day, and I've no axe to grind. I've been running Beemers for 20 years now. I still own one.
    ABS :huh
    Well yeah, you don't get ABS with the Griso but if it's something you must have, you get it with the 1200 sport.
    More fun outside of town :huh
    Now I know you're joking.
    In 30 years of riding, 20 of which have been on BMW's, I have never had a bike that's as much fun as the Griso.
    No BMW comes close.

Yes you've finally made a statement based in fact, but there is so much more to it than that.[/quote]

Like a lot of people, you can't get beyond Guzzi in the 70's.
    Times have changed, and the operation is pretty slick now.

I have a Griso 1100 by the way.

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  20. devonrider

devonrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, and here's a really cool custom Griso to show what's possible if you have the money.

[​IMG]