Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 8v?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by A Knight Who Says Ni, Mar 14, 2010.

1. OSUgasman

OSUgasman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had one for a year. 2009 that I bought used. Was such a beautiful, bespoke ride. But the vibrations were something I quickly got tired of. Probably would have continued to hold onto it had it had ABS, but a couple of small slides and it was time to buy a bike smarter than I am capable of as a rider. Now with a S1000XR and loving it. Maybe a Motus in my future? Dealer is 4 hours away though...
    Patek likes this.
  2. Chirosyd

Chirosyd Never get off my bike without a smile

Oddometer:
    FYI, IIRC Motus does not have abs at this time.
    Patek likes this.
  3. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I installed the Givi tanklock ring and while there cut that plastic funnel so I can see into the tank and know when it is full and not have the spray back.

I also changed out the headlight and city light with a Silverstar Ultra bulb. Too damn cold here to check out the light output and adjust the headlight
    davyjones and Wa Ho Thuk like this.
  4. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    I kept looking this summer for a Griso to appear close enough to me, so that I could sit-test one (bad knee).

Now that I bought my Z900RS, a decent one shows up 100 miles away. :baldy
  5. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:
    That is usually my kind of luck. Nothing wrong with owning two bikes :-)

It looks like this Sunday I will finally get to ride my Griso, finally. Only have 140 miles since Dec 21st, should be a 300 mile day Sunday
    davyjones likes this.
  6. Zebraranger

Zebraranger MotoMore

Oddometer:
    Same here, its been cold as ice here in Florida. The cold here usually doesnt last for more than a couple of days, but its been hanging around for unusually long periods this year. I haven't riddin in 10 days, but it looks like we'll be back in the 70's on Saturday, the Gris will be out and about again.
    Dual.jpg
  7. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    I already own several more than that. :lol3

You must be in North Florida - I've been riding every day. Worst has been lows in the upper 30s, but low 40s has been the worst I've seen.
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  8. marshrat

marshrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where is it?
  9. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    Close to Miami.
  10. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:
    Tell me about that small saddlebag. Where did you get it and is it easy on and off or permanent. I need something to keep my tire repair kit and air compressor and a few other items when going on day rides. TIA
    davyjones and roostar like this.
  11. Zebraranger

Zebraranger MotoMore

Oddometer:
    That's why I added them, I have one on each side. I store a portable powerpack/jumpstarter, tire repair kit with co2 inflation cartridges, a helmet lock and a couple of other small items in the left bag, and the right side bag is used for when I ride to work, I can carry my coffee thermos or bottle of water, wallet & cell phone or other small items in the left side bag. Each bag is 12" long x 6.5" high and they fit perfectly in that space without any mods. I have a set of larger saddle bags from one of my other bikes, but anything larger on the Griso makes it look hideous and ruins its beautiful lines. If I need to carry anything larger, I can use the cargo net or a tail bag on the passenger seat. Two bolts hold each bag in place, so they are not whats considered quick release, but I had no intensions of removing them anyway.

They were pretty cheap, got them both on sale for about $50.00 at Cycle Gear last year. They are cruiser bags typically used on cruisers and attached to the front forks underneath the headlight, but I purchased them to use as small saddlebags. I purchased four 4" steel L shaped brackets (two for each bag) and two 10" long straight brackets from Home Depot and painted them flat black. Two L shaped brackets and one 10" bracket for each bag. Drilled out some elongated bolt holes, bolted two L shaped bracket to its saddle bag, attached the L shaped brackets to the 10" straight bracket (can be welded or bolted together) then bolted the bracket assembly to the bungie cord bolts holes underneath the rear on each side. By elongating the bolt holes in the bracket, it allowed me to adjust (tuck) each bag as close into the bike as possible. Its solid and they don't move a bit. It was really a simple project, the bags, the GPS, the stainless steel oil cooler cover and the flyscreen was the first things I did when I brought it home from the dealership last year.
    4729resized.jpg
  12. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nifty.
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  13. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:
    sweet, thanks for the info
  14. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    The Givi tanklock ring from Guzzitech ? I was curious what tank lock bags fit best with the filler so far forward ?
  15. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:
    This is the one I use, or the older version, looks almost like this one. The mounting ring on the bottom of the tank bag can be moved forward or backwards some to change the position of the bag on the tank. I have mine where the bag is as far rearward as possible. I also have some clear vinyl on my tank to protect it from scratches.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-xs308-xstream-tanklock-tankbag
    davyjones likes this.
  16. Florida Lime

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify - you used the aluminum ring from Guzzitech, or were you able to use something else ?
  17. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:

I used the aluminum, expensive, ring from Guzzitech. There is a guzzi guy in europe who also makes the ring and sells them and it is about the same cost, it just takes a little longer to get to the USA and I was in a hurry as I was going on a ride and wanted it.
    Florida Lime likes this.
  18. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    Apropos luggage, etc., I just posted over on the GrisoGhetto forum about a DIY PVC tube another Grisista had made and I shamelessly copied.

See more there if inclined — https://www.grisoghetto.com/t3458-diy-tool-tube — but here are some pix:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am doing a similar tube with my Stornello, but am stumped just now how to mount it with enough “stand off” to clear frame, wheel, fender, etc., and match somewhat the high can on the right side.

[​IMG]

Too bad that Arrow mount is welded on as that and the Guzzi frame-to-can connector would probably do the trick.

[​IMG]

I am too [deleted :hmmmmm:augie] to fabricate anything myself, and am trying to figure out what even to ask for! Doh.

I’ll post something over in the long-running V7 thread -- http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/anybody-have-a-moto-guzzi-v7.835438/ -- to see if those folks have some ideas.

As for other Griso luggage options, on day trips, I’ve been using the small Givi tank bag

[​IMG]

On multi-day trips, I use that and have the C-Bow system with soft cases.

[​IMG]

I think I may buy hard bags, however, as I seem incapable of “traveling light” (and am a slow learner); after several years of use, the soft ones are just not sturdy enough for my safari-like travel “needs.”

Bill
    ullukk and davyjones like this.
  19. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:
    I saw your post on the ghetto and I am thinking hard about that tube. I have a slime compressor but it is 4" across and won't fit in the tube. I may take it apart and see what it is like.

I just ordered the C bow and rear rack and like the way the tube hooks to the c bow. I will carry my tire repair goodies in it.

Right now I will use some soft bags but was looking at the soft bags you have now. At 68 years old I am going to be trailering my bike more but there are some rallies I go to where I will ride and need the luggage space.
  20. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:
    Got my tax refund Wednesday and ordered up some Hepco Becker goodies.

Today I installed the C Bow carriers and rear rack and also the crash bars.

I know I will get scorned LOL but I am also putting highway pegs on the crash bars to give some relief on longer rides. My new hip needs some relief so I don't care what it looks like as long as it works.

I also ordered a Corbin seat, got an email from them that they didn't have a pan in stock so it would be about 4 weeks for me to get my seat. Once that is in I will be ready to do some long distance rides
    davyjones likes this.