Moto Guzzi Norge GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by gelandestrasse, Mar 2, 2021.

1. gelandestrasse

gelandestrasse Fidem Scit

Oddometer:
    Anyone here with long term experience with this bike? I just walked away from a good deal on a Concours 14 because it was too top heavy for my liking. There’s a beautiful 2008 Norge GT nearby with 28k on the clock for ~$5,100.00.

I do my own wrenching. Is there a Moto Guzzi equivalent to beemerboneyard?

Are there known issues with this bike? What should I look for when checking out the bike in person?
    [​IMG]
  2. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    I can't give you any direct advice on the Norge, as I have a Griso. I get all my parts from AF1 in Texas as I don't really have a local Moto Guzzi dealer.
    I have always liked the Norge though. :nod
    freewaystreak and gelandestrasse like this.
  3. gelandestrasse

Oddometer:
    The sales guy who has to be reminded that Moto Guzzi is a motorcycle brand, tells me the bike is not running because they’re replacing the fuel pump. :fpalm He sends photos of the bike in the “service department.”
    upload_2021-3-3_19-12-52.jpeg
    upload_2021-3-3_19-13-14.jpeg
    upload_2021-3-3_19-13-34.jpeg
    upload_2021-3-3_19-13-51.jpeg
    This does not inspire confidence.
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  4. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    Wildguzzi will be your go to place.
    mtwillyman likes this.
  5. giarcg

giarcg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No.... it doesn't.
  6. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    me no expert - you wanna check out the rollerized cam thing. not certain if it applies to an '08.
    the flat tappet units could be troublesome.
  7. tennmoto

tennmoto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the 2 valve heads don’t have flat tappets, 08 should be fine, later yrs and 4 valves have to check years
  8. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Want one that you KNOW is good to go?
    Call Hamlin. I think he has a 2013 or 14 to sell.
    Iron Cross Junction and Oilhed like this.
  9. itsforrest

itsforrest Ugly bag of mostly water

Oddometer:
    I have owned a few Guzzis over the years and ridden and worked on a few more. For some stupid reason I have a soft spot for them.
    Guzzis are the epitome of Italian engineering by emotion, not good engineering logic.

Buy a Guzzi if:
    1. you are not relying on the bike for daily transport. - At some point you will be waiting for critical parts or it will be stuck in the shop.
    2. you are willing and able to do your own wrenching. - Do not trust a service shop that is not an established GUZZI shop or a mechanic who is not a full-on Guzzi nerd!
    3. you are willing and able to work multiple sources for parts. - Aftermarket sources are often more reliable than the dealer network.
    4. you are diligent about catching loose and missing hardware. - Do not ignore odd mechanical noises.
    5. you understand that, even if you do have a dealer available, user groups are often better sources of real info and fixes and don't expect good warranty action from Guzzi or, by extension, dealers.

The flat tappet issue is a four-valve head issue. Early units through some point in 2013 (and possibly some later units snuck in) had flat tappets. Check manufacture date, not model year on title. However, typical Guzzi, you can't know for sure if a four-valve head is roller or flat tappet without taking off the rocker cover and looking. Some early units have been updated but it was never a proper recall.

Some fuel pumps (mounted inside the tank) had issues because the fuel lines disintegrated, presumably due to alcohol in the gas. OEM replacement hoses and clamps are not reliable fixes. OEM hoses must be replaced with immersion rated fuel line.
    Some gas tanks, which are plastic, had issues with becoming distended or distorted also presumably due to alcohol. This caused leaks and tanks not fitting on the bike or bodywork not mounting to the tank. Not sure if this applied to Norges but if so, good luck sourcing a new tank.

My 2013 Norge 4-valve had the worst transmission of any of the many bikes I have owned in 40+ years.
    It blew two oil pressure senders, made a nasty mess of everything under the tank, then I replaced it with a sender from a BMW car.
    It shed bolts on long rides.
    It could have been a really cool bike.
  10. gelandestrasse

Oddometer:
    I didn't see any on the website. They’re ~1,600 miles away from me so it's a bit too far to pop in and check. There’s an authorized Moto Guzzi dealer near me. I’ll have to pop in and check it out.
    KingOfFleece likes this.
  11. gelandestrasse

Oddometer:
    The fuel pump incident is why I don’t get the warm fuzzies from the shop that’s peddling the Norge. My 2005 R1200GS had a fuel pump issue and puked gasoline all over my leg. The dealer fixed it at no cost to me iirc.
  12. KingOfFleece

Oddometer:
    Call him. Not everything is on the website.
    He ships all over the country. Or, fly and ride this spring.
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  13. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    It’s probably dusty from waiting on Piaggio to ship the fuel pump. The worst supply chain ever.
  14. KingOfFleece

Oddometer:
  15. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    I'll just add a little to the experience -- my wife had a 2010 2 - valve for a time and I had quite a bit of time on it.

Pros - comfortable if not a little hot in the summer, good wind protection with electrically adjustable screen, good fuel economy and range

cons- the bike is pretty heavy, despite being a big bike the rider triangle was pretty tight, not that fast which is good because the brakes weren't great either, the transmission was super clunky, it had some electrical issue I couldn't sort out that caused it to burn through batteries faster than any other bike I have had

Ultimately it was the weight that got tiring for her, but she's small. If you want a touring bike more along the lines of a gold wing than a hayabusa and you're comfortable working on bikes and sourcing parts it could be an interesting bike to have. I wouldn't want one as my only bike though.
  16. KingOfFleece

Oddometer:
    Hum. My 2014 shifts like butter and has the best clutch I've ever had.
    Iron Cross Junction and ANutt like this.
  17. Dave Swanson

Dave Swanson Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 2 valve Norges are great bikes. So are the 4 valve, but when considering a 4V you do need to confirm that it has roller tappets. Regardless, tappets are not a concern with a 2V.

In my opinion the Norge is over priced considering its condition. There are better deals out there. There was a nice 2V Norge for sale recently for 3K.

I love my 2015 GT8. It is a mile muncher extraordinaire!
    IMG_4427 (2).JPG
  18. Volfy

Volfy Fava beans & a nice Chianti

Oddometer:
    I thought that Pearl White was the prettiest Norge 8V... until this brown color came out.
  19. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    I put quite a few miles on my '08 with no problems whatsoever. Dallas to Key West and back. Over 3k miles on one trip all in Texas. Bike festival at Barber once, etc. I will admit it was a demo that was a couple years old when I bought it, so the dealer had plenty of time to sort through any initial problems it might have had. It was completely reliable for the 40k or so miles I put on it though. I've had two other Guzzis as well, and no problems with those either.

[​IMG]
  20. gelandestrasse

Oddometer:
    As I expected, the salesman failed to contact me. I guess I’m doing home maintenance tomorrow instead of looking at a Norge.