Moto Guzzi Norge GT

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by gelandestrasse, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Vrode

Vrode Still half-fast... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buddy had a 2011 which I got to ride a couple times. It was reliable for him, but I thought it was a top heavy bike myself. A comfortable ride but it felt a little wonky in transitions. It was beautiful in Pearl white though.
  2. twtex85

twtex85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As some of the other posters have mentioned the price is too high for the age and condition of the bike. If you are looking for a Norge I would look for a 2013 or later version. They went to the 4 valve head in 2012 but the 2012’s have the flat tappets. In 2013 they went to the roller tappets 100% and they were much better. Power was increased when they changed to the 4 valve heads. Guzzi’s are pretty easy to service and maintain for the DIY er. If maintained they are very reliable for the most part. The basic engine design has been around since the 60’s and they are capable of high mileage.
    The Norge has a short peg to seat distance so if you are long legged it could be an issue, They are air cooled engines so they do give off some heat. The dealer network is limited so you need to be able to do the routine service by yourself which is very easy. (Valve adjustment, throttle body sync ,oil change for engine and transmission along with final drive oil change. Replace air filter and plugs and that is pretty much it.
    I have two (California 1400 and Stelvio ) and they have been trouble free since I bought them. There is a Intangible draw to them as they have a soul if a motorcycle can have one. They are not perfect motorcycles by any means but if you click with them you will always have one around. You can also pick them up at a very reasonable price on the used market.
  3. gelandestrasse

gelandestrasse Fidem Scit

Oddometer:
    I first saw a Moto Guzzi in person parked on the sidewalk in Cadiz Spain in the early 1980s. I think it was a LeMans. I thought it was a fantastic looking bike.
    upload_2021-3-6_7-47-35.jpeg

I’ve been looking for another motorcycle. I don’t want to spend more than $7,500. I don’t want anything heavier than the 2005 R1200GS that I used to have. I sat on a Concours 14 and at almost 700 lbs wet and top heavy to boot I knew I wouldn’t like it. I’m surprised at the complaints about the Norge’s weight. Isn’t it similar to a R1200GS or an R1200RT?

I’m open to anything that can be fitted with bags and a windscreen. The Norge seems like it would be a good choice.

I’m not fond of hustling a big dual sport off-road. I’d have much more fun off-road on a CT110. I’m looking for a competent street bike or dual sport that is good on road.
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  4. twtex85

twtex85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The dry weight for the Norge is listed at 553 lbs. All of your sport tourers are going to be in that 500-700 lb range. You should be able to pick up a 2013 or later Norge for the price range you specified. Good luck with your search.
    gelandestrasse likes this.
  5. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    Random Norge shot - just because

3094D72F-BE13-467C-A77F-4A820E56ECFE.jpeg
  6. twtex85

twtex85 Adventurer

Oddometer:

If you are seriously interested in a Norge there is a nicely sorted out 2012 Norge on Wild Guzzi for sale . It has been rollerized which takes care of the flat tappet issue. Guzzi makes factory conversion kits to rollerize the 2012 and earlier Norge’s. Owner says he has done all the periodic maintenance himself and it has some extras on it. Pricing is a good deal at $4k. Owner is giving up riding due to Father Time. Bike is in the Tampa area.
  7. gelandestrasse

Oddometer:
    I can’t log in to wildguzzi yet. The mod hasn’t yet approved my request to join.
  8. itsforrest

itsforrest Ugly bag of mostly water

Oddometer:
    Dry weight of the 8-valver was published in many places as 257kg or 566lbs so this was probably the factory claimed weight.
    Rider magazine puts the curb weight of the 8-valve Norge at 641lbs.
    Dry weight, as I have always understood it, means dry; no oil, brake fluid, gear oil, etc.
  9. giarcg

giarcg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wanted one for a long time... finally got a chance to ride a 4 valve a few years ago. Loved the look of them and wanted to like it more than my 1150RT but It seemed to fall short in most comparisons. I remember thinking the published reviews at the time were correct (rare). Wouldn't mind trying an 8V which supposedly addressed most issues.
  10. Volfy

Volfy Fava beans & a nice Chianti

Oddometer:
    Some mfrs include a lot more than that. "Dry" could mean without all consumables, which is why there are often huge differences between dry and wet that mere fluids couldn't possibly account for. Battery, bulbs, tubes, and even tires. IMO, it's a rather meaningless number, as nobody could ride a "dry" motorcycle, regardless of the definition.
    itsforrest likes this.
  11. limeymike

limeymike Who Me?

Oddometer:
    I have an '09 and I am very happy with the reliability, performance and the price. Having been on BMW RTs and RSs for many years the Norge compares favorably. In the world of Guzzi owners the 2v Carc drivetrain is respected as a solid piece of kit. As always with the internet you ask about a brand or model and all the old crap about the manufacturer comes out confusing everyone.
    Ask about a 2021 Ford Mustange and someone will comment how Fords can blow up, ask Pinto owner. Quite a few riders prefer the Guzzi 2v over the later 4v motor because of the torque characteristics, I am one of them. I do my own wrenching and find it a very simple bike to work on. Parts are easy to come by, the Guzzi community have always been there to help with tips and knowledge.
    upload_2020-10-7_14-4-34.png
  12. CycleSick

CycleSick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All you can do is test ride one and see if you like it. Be aware all the CARC guzzis like the Norge have the dreaded nylon plastic fuel tank, which E10 fuel will cause to expand or deform in some way. I have a Griso, and am careful to use only non-ethanol gas. But I don't tour on it, so I know where to fill up. I've looked at several Norge bikes, and on each one, the top triple clamp was coming in contact with the fuel tank at full lock. Not bad, but enough to chip the paint. I'd still consider a clean example if the price was right. Moto Guzzis sound wonderful with the right exhaust.
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  13. GliderJohn

GliderJohn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2011 8V that I bought new. Have 22,000 miles in it now. Had to do the tappet replacement on my dime. First few thousand miles were frustrating due to assembly issues. The muffler came apart but was fixable, both oil feed lines leaked at the head, center stand came loose. Mine has some significant scratches and chips as I live three miles off pavement and have had a bit of a learning curve dealing with a couple low speed or nearly stopped dumps on sand. The bike is top heavy. It handles fine in a stiff crosswind but the body work causes the wind to whip up and over so it is like being constantly dope slapped on the side of the helmet. Have never found heat to be an issue.
    On the positive side I really like the motor and overall handling. The transmission on mine is very smooth and light shifting with a nice clutch. I have had it up to 140 indicated on a private runway with side cases and trunk on and it was rock solid. Being in KS I do quite a bit of 80-85 mph running where it is at it's best. Have run a around 100mph for about 30 miles and it was happy and comfy. I am 5'10 and 165lbs with a 32 inseam and the riding position works fine for me and I find the seat quite comfortable during all day rides. Take off the bags and trunk and it is a quite capable sport bike if you are firm with it.
    Oh, the only other bad thing is that I have received many comments on how good looking my "BMW" is. DSCN0017.jpeg
  14. twtex85

twtex85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up . I don't know if your request to join Wild Guzzi has been approved but I was on there a couple of nights ago and the gentleman that has the Norge listed for sale has dropped the price slightly. It is now under $4k. If you are thinking about getting a nicely equipped Norge the pricing he has now posted is a good deal for the bike. FYI
    KingOfFleece and gelandestrasse like this.
  15. gelandestrasse

Oddometer:
    I'm chatting with him now. :thumbup
    verdelac likes this.
  16. gelandestrasse

Oddometer:
    Can you compare the top-heaviness to other bikes? I find the K1200LT and the Concours 14 too top-heavy for my liking. Is the Norge top-heavy like those bikes or is it similar to a BMW R bike?
  17. GliderJohn

GliderJohn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do not have any experience with the other bikes. Sorry.
  18. limeymike

limeymike Who Me?

Oddometer:
    I have owned a K100, K1100LT, R100RT, ST1300 .
    The Norge feels like the K1100, lighter than the ST1300. The BMW R bikes feel lighter. I test rode a C14 in 2018 and found it bulky and large compared to my Norge.
  19. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    All I know about Norge is that they are the best looking sport-tourer.
    Being a big guy I bought an RT though.
    Having ridden the C14 I agree with everyone that's said it's big and heavy feeling.
  20. MZcountryboy

MZcountryboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had an 07, sold it with 55k on the clock, running like a top, the roadburner wasn't for me, but it was a great, reliable bike for me. I really liked it.

20171001_093220.jpg