Moto Guzzi pre- Piagio vs post Piagio

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Qaz, Jun 29, 2019.

1. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Something between 4500 and 5000. How's that for specificity?
  2. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    There was a multi line deal 45 minutes away, but apparently they no longer carry Guzzi; not necessarily a bad thing as the dealership typically gets crap reviews. Now my closest dealers are a 3 or 4 + hr trip away. No matter, I have "some" mechanical skills, well stocked tool boxes & a proper lift table. From what I have been reading, these are simple bikes to work on, so I'll be doing everything myself. As it is, I haven't purchased a new bike in 17 yrs that has been back to the dealer for a service; 2 Wee Stroms, 2 Honda Groms, 1400 Intruder & CB 500X. I think I'll be pok
  3. HarveyMushman

Oddometer:
    I think 4750 is about right.
  4. HarveyMushman

Oddometer:
    Pre-tomorrow’s ride, post-today’s ride, my Moto Guzzi pleases me. Can’t imagine owning anything else. I’ll leave the terminally boring business model talk to others.

[​IMG]
  5. Qaz

Qaz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Harvey- Is LoCo, VA. near Montrey, because that road looks familiar.
  6. HarveyMushman

Oddometer:
    LoCo is Loudoun County, about 35 miles west of DC, so 2 or 3 hours from Monterey. The photo is from near home.
  7. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi, neighbor - we ought to get together and swap lies over coffee someday. I'd especially like to talk with you about Guzzis.
    HarveyMushman and Night_Wolf like this.
  8. Qaz

Qaz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just watched Cycle worlds dyno run of the V85, 66hp & 48flbs of torque! That is sad, that engine should be putting out 75hp to the ground without breathing too hard on it. Tenre' 700, 750/800 GS, 800 Tiger, I just hope it can compete. It is the winner in looks, but the engine is a dog in that class, on the road or off. Except for the shaft, its a less modern TDM 850. If Kawasaki brings a more modern KLR 650 twin out next year, the V85 will really feel the squeeze.
  9. HarveyMushman

Oddometer:
    Nah. You list all those spec-sheet superiors and . . . I don't care. I don't know what my Stelvio's HP figure is and I don't care. I don't ride around at full throttle near redline, on any bike. In the range and manner I do ride, the Guzzi entertains and endears. The people who want a Guzzi will buy a Guzzi. Twas ever thus.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  10. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    It's not that I want a Guzzi; I want a mid sized, shaft driven, Adventure "styled" motorcycle & as it happens Guzzi is the only game in town. As for the extra HP Qaz thinks it should have; the other bikes have liquid cooling which makes getting the extra HP much easier. I was happy with a 65 hp Wee Strom, I'm sure I'll be happy with a 65 hp Guzzi :deal
  11. HarveyMushman

Oddometer:
    I owned a Wee Strom for 130k miles and have ridden the new Guzzi. I suspect you’ll be happy.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  12. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    I was right with you (and quite excited about it) until I saw the TT's alternator output (or lack thereof). One of the main reasons that I bid adieu to my beloved VStrom and got the Tiger Explorer was electrical output. I plug a lot of shit in. Lights (120 watts) and heated gear (another 150) are the biggest watt suckers.
  13. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Not as many miles under my ass on the Wee Strom, but I did manage 55,000 on a pair of them & loved the bike(s) Knowing the Guzzi is in the same range, power wise, I expect it will be more than adequate. I am very enamored of it's looks (The_Filly not so much) Some people need/want "big" power, while I have chased down "faster" bikes on the Wee Stroms & know it had more than enough power for my intended usage
  14. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    My Wee Strom had enough alternator output for me; heated jacket/gloves/grips & aux LED lighting. The Tiger is nice, but it's a chain drive & that holds no interest to me & it's an even taller motorcycle
  15. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    The "alternator output is inadequate" argument absolutely slays me!

For decades Guzzi owners and assorted other whingers carried on and on about inadequate wattage from their alternators. So what did they do? They stuck a sodding great belt driven 660W alternator on the CARC bikes and said whingers stayed away in droves!

They can't win trying to please idiots.
  16. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:

Since I admittedly haven't dug into the specs on the V85 TT; in your opinion is the alternator adequate, fpor heated grips, LED aux lighting & possibly a heated jacket?
  17. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buggered if I know? How many watts does it put out at what RPM. Work from there. If you want to ride around on a centrally heated Christmas tree probably not.
  18. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My buddy lives in Purceville.He just bought a V7 racer for his daughter.He's on on a Ducati 900ss Maybe you'll meet up with them in your travels.I'm over do for a ride down and visit on the Quota.
  19. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Rated at 350 watts, from what I have seen. About the same as a VStrom.
  20. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Tiger EXPLORER, not Tiger. 1200cc triple, shaft drive and a 955 watt alternator.

My VStrom ('03 DL1000) would not maintain charge with a pair of Denali 2 LED lights (10 watts each), a Widder vest (about 45 watts), OEM heated grips (unknown), a Valentine 1 and a couple of GPS units. My voltage monitor would go yellow with everything turned on. My TEx doesn't even blink. My requirements may (and probably do) differ significantly from yours. And we're both right.

Wonder if I could fit a bigger juice box to the V85TT - other than the alternator, it is exactly what I'm looking for.