Moto Guzzi Scrambler Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by bigtex, Feb 10, 2016.

1. fortrider

fortrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You will like the difference. I did the Hagons and Andreani cartridges along with a 19" front wheel several thousand miles ago and it is a totally different bike. Well worth the time and dollars.
    motrhead likes this.
  2. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    Let's cut to the cha$e for us retirees, Steve ...

... How many lire?

Bill
  3. Bulldog9

Bulldog9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    763.44 Lira for the Fork Springs
    1726.54 Lira for the Shocks

4. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    You are married? Really? Impressive.

:clap
  5. Bulldog9

Oddometer:
    Lira Bill.... lol, not dollars ;-)

6. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm curious if anyone believes that raising the rear suspension 1.5" could have negative consequences due to improper drive shaft alignment.
  7. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    Interesting question.

Mebbe.

OTOH, with my ... erm ... "fighting weight" :augie... it might be just right.:D

Bill
  8. Bulldog9

Oddometer:
    I'm not too worried about it... The new Fork Springs gave me a three-quarter inch lift in the front. While that won't necessarily change the rear suspension angle all that much, the 1.5 inch "lift" is with the shocks fully extended and not on the bike. I'm guessing with the softer springs overall ride height with just the motorcycle weight might be about 1 in and when my fat arse is sitting on it maybe 3/4. I just received the new bushings last night will be putting them in over the next day or two and will be measuring height Etc.

I may even get real fancy, pull out my handy-dandy protractor and get a real technical..... MTF
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  9. Pharkle

Pharkle n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any recommendations for mitigating the exhaust heat? So far I have melted nylon riding pants and burned a hole in my jeans. I was thinking about wrapping the exhaust but wanted to see if there were other solutions.

Also, does anyone have any issues with the spark plug covers coming off? I came back from a ride and found one of mine on the road. Luckily it was undamaged.
  10. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    I got wider pegs from AF1 Racing. They allow me to place my foot/leg further away from the pipes. Screenshot_20181017-104108_Chrome.jpg
  11. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    This whole heat thing (punnily) baffles me. Think ChasADV mentioned this before.

I am not immune to m/c heat. Have owned and ridden some that are dragons. My Norge, in particular, can be unfun now and then. Leathers and higher boots help lots, but hot is hot.

The Stornello just isn't. While I am not about to grab a handful of headers, the shroud over the can works just fine. I can touch it with an ungloved hand after a ride.

I am in Erie just now and guess I'll go do (what I think I said I'd do before :augie) and put an IR thermo on mine and get readings from headers to can tip.

As for spark-plug cover, yup, BTDT. Put a small dollop of silicone under 'em so they'll come off when I want 'em to and not otherwise. I do the same with those little caps on my Griso's valve covers.

Bill
  12. Bulldog9

Oddometer:
    I agree with Bill I don't find the heat coming through the exhaust Shields to be too hot. Its definitely warmer around the catalytic converter but the exhaust Can is fine. I wonder if you're having an issue with your catalytic converter getting too hot? You could have a problem with that or potentially your fueling. You may want to swap out the cat for the bypass pipe. You can buy one from Arrow and I think Guzzi Tech makes one as well.
  13. Pharkle

Pharkle n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the silicone tip, I will do that.
  14. Pharkle

Pharkle n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback on the heat issue. Good to hear it is not a widespread complaint. I think I will move forward and wrap the exhaust and order some new pegs. Thanks to all who responded.
  15. fortrider

fortrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind that if you wrap the exhaust the wrap will hold moisture and rust the pipes. Also, water weakens the wrap and makes it easy to rip. It will keep the heat away and if you hang your jacket on the handlebar as I often do it will not melt to the pipe.
    Look at my avatar and you will know how I know.
  16. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    I'm more surprised that there are Stornellos with heat shields that don't get hot. While I haven't burned holes in my pants the pipe heat shields are definitely hot. But, I expected the exhaust to get hot. Even before cats were put into motorcycle exhaust pipes the Honda scramblers were notorious for burns. BTW, I ride with full gear even in Charleston's rather warm summer weather.
  17. bigtex

bigtex Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer:
    Burned a small hole in the inside cuff of some old jeans here.
  18. Bulldog9

Oddometer:
    IMG_20181018_201843829.jpg Okay I got the bushings from Hagon, pressed them into the shocks tonight and installed them on the bike.

Though the Hagons are 1.5" longer, once on the bike and off the jack there was only a 5/8" increase in static ride height.

The stock shocks had a 26- 3/8" static height. With the preload adjusted to about 50% there was a .5" drop resulting in a weighted ride height of 25 - 7/8".

The Hagons measure at 27" static, and 26.5" laden. Interesting that though the Higgins are much more softly sprung the resulting change in ride height was about the same as the stock Springs which tells me I had my preload right because the Hagons were built for my weight.

It's too late and I'm too tired to go for a ride, but my first impression is that the springs and damping are almost evenly matched front to back. The new rear Springs are obviously much softer then the stock given the fact that they compressed at least an inch with just the normal weight of the bike.

Most importantly for me is that I have much more rear shock travel. Will report back after first ride.

As you'll notice in the pics the shocks are reverse mounted. They look great on the bike can't wait to go for a ride. If I can get the capability of a mid-range dual sport or Adventure touring bike I'll be happy. next up is to take the bike to moto machines which is right near me in Virginia to have some custom racks mounted for Hepco Becker side bags.

Attached Files:

19. Bulldog9

Oddometer:
    On the spark plug covers... When I took delivery of my bike I noticed that both covers were very loose. One cover blew off on my first ride the other blew off about 2 weeks later....

Thankfully I mentioned it to the dealer when I took delivery, and they put in the paperwork to replace them but that was two months ago. I bought them from af1 racing... they were $15 a piece and I could tell immediately they fit much better completely snug. I don't expect to lose them again but we'll see when I take them off a couple times.

The silicone dab is a good idea.
  20. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    I can assure you that I did not come up with the "dab" on my own. Got it from "GuzziSteve" in Atlanta.

Bill