Moto Guzzi Scrambler Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by bigtex, Feb 10, 2016.

1. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Bill,
    Can you be more specific about what and where you are dabbing? Thanks.
    Tom
  2. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    ^^^^^^^

Sure, Tom.

Can send pix if needed, as I am down in the Moto Grappa "as we speak," but the short version is that I take a small amount -- think a drop about the size of a mini "chocolate chip" in a Toll House cookie :D -- and put inside at the point where the "crimp" on the cover (which engages the plug wire).

Probably really doesn't matter where it goes, but that's where I put mine.

As for "what," again, likely doesn't matter much, as I used Shoe Goo on the Griso's little caps last time I did service! :clap

That said, on Stornello, I used this, https://www.permatex.com/products/g...m-oil-resistance-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-4/, which I got at Walmart.

No doubt someone will now tell me that I have voided my warranty. :augie

Seriously, mine have been pretty tight without the "little dab that'll do ya," but one did come off right at first service. The tech said that was common, pulled one of a sales-floor model, and replaced for free.

Bill

P.S. I won't be riding my Stornello until mid-week, but I have put the IR thermo on its saddle to remind me to check temps.
  3. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    Bill,
    Thanks for the explanation. BTW, I've never needed an infrared thermometer...but I might buy one just to check my Stornello's heat output.
    Tom
  4. Pharkle

Pharkle n00b

Oddometer:
    I neglected to mention that I didn't burn my pants on the heat shield, i burned them just forward of the heat shield. See below. I don't know why my foot is that far forward, and to burn / melt 2 different pairs of pants is a mystery. Has anyone ever swapped out the exhaust for a V7 II Stone exhaust? it kind of messes up the scrambler thing, I know.

upload_2018-10-19_17-37-29.png
  5. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    Mine would make the Serious Tool Crowd sniff and exchange contemptuous sneers and smirks. :D

https://smile.amazon.com/HOLDPEAK-N...on-Contact+Digital+Laser+Infrared+Thermometer

But, it is good enough for my needs in the shop -- and, I have to confess, mostly at the grill and, once, convincing Kathi that her hair flat iron was not even close to 400ºF.:clap

Bill
  6. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    Only time I thought it would have been nice to have had an infrared thermometer was going across Oklahoma in July a couple of years ago. The bank's time and temperature sign in Elk City registered 114°. Even in full ATGATT I could feel the heat (as well as smell the fumes) coming up from new asphalt while going west on I-40. Would have liked to have known how hot the road was.
  7. Bulldog9

Bulldog9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah, that makes sense now.

Long legs/short arms? Are you sitting far forward on the seat?

I'd hate to see you have to remove the system. I bet you could have someone custom make sheild to replace the one over the cat with a longer one that covers the area you need, or attach an extension yourself.

You could also just wrap that small section, no need for the whole header pipe.

Hope it works out !

Would handlebar risers or bars with more 'pull back' allow you to slde back on the seat?

8. Bulldog9

Oddometer:
    HATE when that happens, feels like you are literally in a heat gun. I was almost a heat casualty several times on my FJR. NORGE is much better.

9. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20181021-091801_Google.jpg
  10. Pharkle

Pharkle n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok, I will just live with the heat or wrap the exhaust. I will commit no such sin as to swap the exhaust.
  11. Minimike

Minimike Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Get a chance to try them out on some Forest Service roads yet?

Thanks, I’m following your modifications & might make the same changes to my bike.

Mike
  12. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    Forest service roads?

Mike, Bulldog lives in Lesser D.C.!

Hmmmm. Come to think of it, the streets there give many of the same challenges as many are "off pavement." :jack

Bill
  13. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Heck, I live in Florida, and ride many of the same Forest Service roads that @Minimike does. :D
    Still miss your store Mike. :(
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  14. Bulldog9

Oddometer:
    Sadly, I havent had a chance to ride with the new rear shocks..... I tried on Sunday, but got 'the look' lol. Hoping to ride to work on Thursday. I stay out of the District, and its ehem wonderful roads, and live in the Suburbs near Mount Vernon, have taken the Stornello on a few local trails and power line roads, and some of the 'range roads' in and around Fort Belvoir on the stock suspension. I do plan to do some exploring when I get the chance........... Maybe Saturday, I have to go in to work in the morning, so maybe a detour on the ride home ;-)
  15. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    I worked in DC and lived in Alexandria for over 10 years. It was all about job and money and not a damn thing about riding. I eventually found that a Suzuki Burgman scooter was the ideal two wheel vehicle for that environment...until I put it into the back of an SUV.
  16. Bulldog9

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty fortunate I live just above Mount Vernon right off the George Washington Memorial Parkway. I can get in in and around the area I'm mostly Scenic roads and have a regular route that takes me up the parkway up through Great Falls loops and to Maryland and then back down on some great country roads. There's also some hidden gems and then around the area. This is my fourth Duty assignment in the Washington DC area. if I didn't live in the neighborhood I did I wouldn't enjoy it at all but we're pretty tucked away and established with nice neighborhoods with lots of trees and parks. Of course the real riding is when you get 30 miles outside of the Beltway. My commute takes me up to Fort Meade and that unfortunately is mostly highway but any ride is better than no ride.

17. Bulldog9

Oddometer:
    50 mile ride today on the new suspension..... sublime..... Hagon Enduro shocks are well damped, perfectly sprung, work very well for me, and for my goals for the bike. Certainly NOT a canyon carver, but will be a great commuter, and adventure tourer. Jury is out on the front fork, will experiment a bit on fork oil. Have stock, am assessing if I want to go lighter or heavier. At this point the suspension feels evenly sprung, but front a bit stiffer on compression. MTF. Happy puppy, I'm about $380 out of pocket for a transformed and far more comfortable ride.
  18. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    We need to talk. :clap

Somewhere in a secure spousal-free zone. :D
    CharlestonADV likes this.
  19. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    I agree that "the real riding is when you get 30 miles outside of the beltway ". Conversely, I found that enjoying a ride on the GW Pkwy depends greatly on time of day and the the weird voodoo magic that seems to control DC traffic.
    Bulldog9 and Iron Cross Junction like this.
  20. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    I survived my first stint in Purgatory as a commuter to the Pentagon from Kings Park West in the early '90's.

It was painful whether by bus, carpool, slug line, or worst, solo car.

I didn't ride a motorcycle around the area then, but have since. Sometimes when I'm there these days, in, e g., Great Falls, I think of what delightful places such then-rural roads must have been like in the 30s and 40s.

Actually, they are pretty much what Cross Junction, where I live today, is now.

Bill
    CharlestonADV likes this.