Moto Guzzi Scrambler Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by bigtex, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Langanobob

Langanobob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thought I’d give this thread a bump - no posts since April? I figure you’re all out riding or have traded your Stornellos for V85’s. Hope it’s the former. I came very close to buying a Stornello last year, even started collecting some upgrade parts before I bought the bike and then I got distracted and didn’t buy it.

One of the reasons I didn’t buy it was the sort of old school suspension and mediocre reviews of the suspension and also the underperforming motor, on paper at least. I was leaning towards a Desert Sled. After a Stornello test ride, the suspension seemed at least adequate for my purposes, I know upgrades are available, and the power also seemed OK. All in all a surprisingly fun bike to ride. And, an absolutely beautiful bike.

Not sure what the point of this post is, just that Stornello’s are showing up on the used market and I’m looking their way again.
  2. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.

Think some of both.

I am not likely to get a V85 ... tho I hope they sell like shave ice on a hot day at Waikiki ... as I like my moto-harem just fine. That, and I don't wish to find the limits of my sweet spousal-unit's indulgence. :D

But I have been riding it (and the others).

Some Stornello activity shows up on the V7 thread -- https://advrider.com/f/threads/anybody-have-a-moto-guzzi-v7.835438/

I'm headed down to my shop now to put a center stand on the V7 III, bit will join your bump with some pix soon.

Best,

Bill
    Langanobob and twowings like this.
  3. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've found that my level of satisfaction with the motorcycles I've owned has been largely influenced by my initial expectations. Some have been been exceptional while others significant disappointments. I bought my Stornello largely due to its superb aesthetics. I did not have an expectation regarding riding performance. I've found the Stornello rides and handles in a manner similar to the BMW airheads I've owned. And, I liked them very much.
  4. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pro tip: Buy the V85TT 'for her'...:D
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  5. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    OK, as threatened earlier, here are a few pix of my Stornello.

First two are its front and side plates.

I am stoooopid about all things Italian and, especially, Moto Guzzis because I worked with the Carabinieri for three years back in another century. They (then) rode Guzzis and were just a great bunch of bubbas. The Guzzi disease has co$t me thou$and$ $ince; all worth it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next three are of getting out and about in the local area, with "local" meaning, as in these, the top of Virginia where we live and nearby W.V., Md., & Pa.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last is of a compo ride I did with inmate Bulldog9 who also owns a Stornello … among other Guzzis. Steve has farkled his up a bit more than mine, especially in his cargo-carrying capacity.

[​IMG]

Best,

Bill
    jamboa, Florida Lime and Langanobob like this.
  6. BoatDoc

BoatDoc Easygoing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The V85TT is tempting....but I'm currently happy with the Stornello. I upgraded the front suspension with the GT hybrid kit, which took some fiddling with but is a good improvement. More fiddling to go. Upgraded the rear with the GT/RT longer throw shocks, also a good improvement.

My wife (on her BMW X-Country) and I took a 2400 mile trip around Eastern Quebec/Gaspe/NB/ME/NH in early June. Managed to find the perfect weather window where there was still snow in places but the mossies and black flies were out. Too early for a lot of the touristy spots (including campgrounds) to be open but managed just fine and no lines! Due to a faulty cell phone chip only managed to salvage one pic. Gaspe2019.jpg
    About 2/3rds of the time the weather was like the picture (mid 40-60s) and the other third it rained. Replaced my third battery in three years. Even though I switched to all LED, the heated gear and gps tax the electrical system fairly hard. Experienced the difficult start/high surge/die symptom. Figured it might be a low voltage issue (voltmeter dropped to 3.9 while cranking over) so switched batteries with the Beemer and the problem disappeared. Luckily a fellow on a Harley came by and gave me a lift to and from a dealer who had a replacement.

We found about 200 miles of off-pavement to explore. The Shinko 705s worked fine on the dirt roads/Jeep trails, but the front damping is still a bit too street stiff. Heading back to Maine in September for more exploring!
  7. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    Many/most of my previous motorcycle acquisitions were influenced by impulsive behavior. I have, however, been paying an unusually high level of attention to the launch of the V85TT. But, I'm certain I would not give up my Stornello to acquire a V85TT.
  8. fortrider

fortrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question for BoatDoc, looks like Wolfman bags hanging on your bike, how do you keep it off the exhaust or is it an issue since there are heat shields? I do see a crossbar for some sort of bag mounting?
  9. BoatDoc

BoatDoc Easygoing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good eye, Fortrider! I do use a rack on the right side. I bought the OEM racks for the V7II knowing that the right side would not fit. I measured the standoff needed for the right side and cut the rack off from its mounts. I installed the mounts and using standard parts from McMaster-Carr I inserted slip joints with thick aluminum tubes (the OEM aluminum pieces fit inside nicely). Then I added the brace on the back from other McMaster parts. I will add a picture. It took about a half hour of planning and an hour of cutting and fiddling. It looks a bit industrial but has about 10K street and 1K off pavement miles on it and seems to work fine. Rack.jpg
  10. Langanobob

Oddometer:
    It does look a bit industrial but who cares? It gets the job done and lets you do some traveling. I saw a photo of a Stornello with 2 into 1 low pipes that were installed in order to allow luggage. It just didn’t look right, almost like a Triumph Bonneville. But to each their own.
  11. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
  12. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    I've found a solo pannier on the port side works quite well on the Stornello. Hope the H-B rack works out.
  13. muf722

muf722 Muf

Oddometer:
    Rear Shock Absorber Upgraded. I got the black set with red springs. Bitubo Shock Absorber Kit For V7 - 2S000257 from AF1.

An immidiate and welcome improvement. I need more riding to fully review it.

The red colour is close, but not same as frame.

IMG_5972.JPG
    And a set of Hepco & Becker Crashbars.

IMG_5974.JPG

I just know that I will eventually drop it. Not a subtle look. Skid-plate is on order. Then I'm ready for more off-road.

IMG_5973.JPG

IMG_5976.JPG

And a bar-end mirror to replace the stock mirrors.
  14. Bulldog9

Bulldog9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm kind of late to this thread, not sure if I posted before, I can barely keep up with the V7 thread & WG. Bill suggested I post the STT updates to this thread and I ALWAYS listen to my elders :jack

Anyhow, I've made a bunch of additions to my Stornello ALL of which are completely reversible. I bought it with most of this in mind, to have a back country/gravel road touring bike. I did NOT want a GS, and though the Stelvio is a wonderbike, is bigger than I wanted for off pavement riding. When XPS was letting these go for $6499, I scooped one up and LOVE IT.

I call it the Stornello TT and is nearing completion.

Recently took the bike out for about 200 miles, a mix of super slab and backroads. SUPER impressed in how the extra weight of the bags, and now upsized windscreen have settled the bike down, resulting in great wind protection, great cargo capacity, and all the good things the V7 brings to the table with a far more settled chassis and 'touring' improvements. (not kidding) Spent the first 75-80 miles of the day on super slab, averaged 75mph with ease, and instead of the bike feeling skittish and spent, the bike felt solid as a rock and planted today. Was the first time I have had it out on the highway since adding the top case and windshield. Prior to this, with the side bags, the bike had some instability at speeds over 70 (weaving) with the topcase and shield, I expected MORE, but was pleasantly surprised to find the opposite. Took it to speeds up to 85, but traffic dictated slower, and 75-80 was solid and stable, though 70-75 is just about perfect.

I've had the bike about 18 months, and have slowly shaped it to my needs. Very happy with it. Updates include: (kind of in order of addition)

1- 420 MM Hagon rear enduro shocks (1.5" longer, but soft springs give a 3/4" lift to rear height) Took the bike from back breaking to plush and controlled.
    2- 7.5lb KTech fork springs (lift of 5/8-3/4 height of front) AMAZING transformation - no more bottoming and crashing of front suspension.
    3- MGMP Multimedia platform (a nice gimmic)
    4- "Chinesium" LED Fog lights powered by the GPS power lead which also powers USB power outlet, ($20 Amazon specials)
    5- AUX LED tail/brake light.
    6- USB dual power port with volt meter connected to same lead as foglights
    7- GL 1800 foot pegs Drops height 1/2 " and are much larger, longer & wider
    8- Mistral Exhaust can (1.5/1.75" closer to frame than Arrow)
    9- HB center stand
    10- HB Engine Case/Head guards
    11- HB side and top case racks w/ custom bracket to extend past exhaust.
    12- HB Explorer top and side cases
    13- Stornello hand guards
    14-1.5"mirror extenders
    15- Hella horn upgrades
    16- Gen 2 Norge large windscreen adapted to V7 chassis with aluminum flat stock.
    17- Beetle Map (YOU NEED THIS!!!! it inverts the flat spot to a power surge, absolutely wonderful.....)

I have a few adjustments to the right bag mount to bet better alignment and stability. The current system works, and has been rock solid for 2K miles, but is a bit misaligned (closer in rear than front). I'm impressed with how this bike performs EVERY time I ride it.... It is riding and performing so well, I cant wait for a week long trip next year, and wouldn't be afraid of some higher speed super slab between the fun stuff. 20 more horsepower, and it would be absolutely perfect. I'm at about 4K miles, will need tires before summer, not sure which way I will go....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] IMG_20191105_085830236.jpg IMG_20191105_085822071.jpg
  15. Langanobob

Oddometer:
    Looks like you’re doing a great job on your Stornello. Thanks for posting the details of your mods.
  16. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    Stop encouraging Bulldog9, as every time he adds a farkle I get tempted. :augie

I try to think of mine as Simplicity Scrambler, not a tarted-up Streetwalker Scrambler. :D

[​IMG]

Bill
  17. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    I saved up my Stornello farkle money and bought an Eldorado. 20191026_153240.jpg
  18. MFS

MFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The dealer down the road from me picked up Moto Guzzi a few years ago. No idea about the brand really other than the logo.
    Sitting on a Stornello I was hooked at the idea of shaft drive, and how it felt sitting on it in the showroom. Really felt good on it and felt it could be the way to go...if I needed 2 bikes...couple things just told me it wasn't the one. But close.
    Only have one bike now, a V85.

MFS
  19. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    +1 ... I think the V85TT is a great choice for people who want one general purpose motorcycle.
    Iron Cross Junction, twowings and MFS like this.
  20. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    You need a moto-harem. Unlike the "real" kind -- or, so I understand :augie -- the machines aren't moody if you pick one over the other. :D

Seriously, happy for you and your V85. Post a pic.

I have seen several and thrown a leg over one V85 ... and Kathi even liked it -- not an irrelevant issue :rogue -- but it was taller than I expected and as I age, flat-footing is a bigger deal than back in days of yore.

Besides, for me, given my limited off-pavement pretensions, the Stornello scratches all my sane itches.

Bill