Moto Guzzi Scrambler Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by bigtex, Feb 10, 2016.

1. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I came away from my local Guzzi dealer this week with the same feeling about the V85TT. I really wanted to like the bike and would have considered replacing my Stornello. But, I found it was a bit too tall for my comfort level. I immediately imagined having difficulty with dabbing a foot on uneven surfaces. I decided to keep the Stornello. It really is an exceptional bike.
    Iron Cross Junction and MFS like this.
  2. MFS

MFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20191103_140951.jpg
    The riding season here came to an end a week ago or so.
    I wa riding a cb500x, and at the time I'd only had it a couple years when I stumbled upon the Stornello. I did think they priced them a tad high at the dealer here, my V85 cost me 3 grand more, but came with 3 cases and just seemed more value. A personal thing, I really like Stornello but it would have felt like dating a woman who didn't have a job. Need my rides to give me more than pleasure sometimes, ya know?

MFS
    Pbro63, Night_Wolf, twowings and 3 others like this.
  3. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    Fully understand your comment about the closeness of V85TT and Stornello MSRPs. Two years ago people were picking up 2016 Stornellos at deep discounts. I'm surprised that there are any new ones still hanging around. Especially at the original MSRP.
    MFS likes this.
  4. MFS

MFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah just to be clear they did get discounted, I was meaning more to the initial selling price I didn't find attractive enough to make a move is all.
    There is a used one for sale here now though, think it was 7600 cnd he wanted.

MFS
  5. huckinnz

huckinnz n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Bulldog9, thanks for the write up on your mods. Can you please elaborate on the GL footpegs? Were they a bolt on fit? What is the length from pivot to end please? Do they ground easily in corners? Could you please post a closeup photo? Thanks in advance, Pete
  6. Bulldog9

Bulldog9 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Figured I'd post something here, gotta keep the Stornello thread alive.... Also posted over in the V7 thread.

I removed the right bracket a few weeks ago, thinking I was going to take the bags and racks off completely for a while. 2 weeks of commuting with the psychopaths in Northern VA (most from MD) and I decided I wanted more 'standoff' and protection, so I re-worked and adjusted the right bag and brackets. End result is a much cleaner look. Still takes up a bunch of space but oh well.

Used 1/8" x 3/4 aluminum slat as the lower brace, and used a dremel to cut a relief for the exhaust. Version 1 incorporated the original HB rear bracket and a bunch of l brackets to span the gap. Now, I just use the one brace connecting the lower bracket, and bolted to the tail light stay. Is very solid, and looks much cleaner than before.

View attachment 2125697

Much cleaner upper mount, with no spacers this time.

View attachment 2125699

Used a bit longer lower bolt, with some aluminum spacer I had laying around. Providentially, I didn't even have to cut or adjust it!

View attachment 2125700

Right side view.

View attachment 2125701

Rear view and left side of the whole affair.
    View attachment 2125702 View attachment 2125698

This is how version 1 looked, note how the HB lower bar brackets (and obvious L brackets) frame the exhaust and clutters the rear, and the goofy spacers on the upper mount. Much happier with the new layout. And I havent even had a beer yet! :photog

View attachment 2125714

New full setup. Baby's got back...
    View attachment 2126300
    IMG_20191029_075307781_HDR.jpg
  7. yeti27

yeti27 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for some larger off-road footpegs for my 2016 Stornello. Lots of searching has turned up no direct applications.
    Anyone found any pegs that fit this bike?
  8. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    Probably not what you are looking for; but, I've been very happy with the V7 Racer pegs from AF-1. They are longer than the stock pegs and have considerably better grip. 20200116_131141.jpg
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  9. yeti27

yeti27 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks I like those. I'm mostly looking for wider not so much grip
  10. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Foot pegs that fit Moto Guzzi Stelvio also fit V7 and V85.
    Recommendation: Pivot Pegz

Dan
  11. BoatDoc

BoatDoc Easygoing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have some nice Pivot Pegz on my Stornello. They may not be listed on their site but I sent them a few dimensions and they made a set for me at the regular price and they work great.
  12. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    Had Pivot Pegs on a KLR. Liked them a lot.
  13. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
  14. hatchb4ck

hatchb4ck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After owning my Stornello for a couple years, I've finally started on the rock guard/skid plate project that I've visualized since buying it. A pannier and tail rack are being built as part of this project too.

I know that Agostini makes a "skid plate" for the V7II, but I wasn't impressed with the way it relied on the oil pan bolts for mounting. The risk of stripping one of those bolts was a non-starter for me.

So, I spent time over the last couple of years looking for a suitable way to mount a rock guard to the frame rails that would clear the engine. This past month I finally found tube clamps that would work perfectly.

I just finished mocking up the rock guard using 1/8" foam core to match the 1/8" 5052 aluminum the plate will be made from. Here are some preliminary images of the mock up. There will be ventilation holes drilled in the final product to allow for air flow around the oil pan. This rock guard covers from just below the alternator "bulge" to the cross member at the rear of the frame and mounts in 5 places.

Putting in the center piece of the mock-up
    [​IMG]

The side done up in paper as I make some final adjustments to the measurements
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Completed foam core mock up
    [​IMG]

I plan to have the aluminum cut this week and to my local fab shop for tig welding early next week.

Joe
  15. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    Very nice mock up. If you're going to produce a few of them for sale, I'm definitely interested. It's the only reason I don't use our Storny offroad, but there are times when it would be nice to pick that over my Stelvio for the lightness aspect.
  16. WitchCityBallabio

Oddometer:
    It's funny. We were contemplating selling our Storny to buy a V85, but we love the Storny too much to part with. I was out on it this weekend and had a blast on it. It was the first long ride since putting the beetle map in it. It runs so much better than stock. Smoother, torqueir, and pulls great. We may add a V85, but we're definitely not parting with our Stornello.
  17. fortrider

fortrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would be interested in the bash plate also. And considered trading the Stornello for a V85 but can't quite pull the trigger. The Stornello is a blast to ride above 4k rpm.
    I have some hoops coming this week and meeting a friend Friday at his machine shop to fab brackets for the panniers. Will see how that goes.
  18. Bulldog9

Bulldog9 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cost? If reasonable, ask if they can make two.
  19. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    IMO, trying to make a Stornello suitable for dirt is a fool's errand. I enjoy my #362 Stornello. On the street where the other V7IIs were designed to play. The Stornello is Guzzi's cosmetic treatment of a motorcycle that is essentially the same as every other V7II model. Check the specs. I love how it looks. In fact, the Stornello's appearance is what drew me to it. But, it sure as hell isn't a dual sport motorcycle ... regardless of whatever shocks and bash plates owners bolt on. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in deep denial ... or loves to think they've created the hottest new thing for arrival at the coffee shop. A Stornello TT is very silly ... but, an amusing endeavor.
  20. WitchCityBallabio

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I used to hear the same thing about my Stelvio. :jack The Stornello isn't an ADV bike per se. My Stelvio is fine for the really gnarly stuff, but it would be nice to take the Stornello on some easier Class I - III type dirt without the fear of punching a hole in the sump. With decent shocks and a bash plate, it should be as capable as any other scrambler.