Moto Guzzi Scrambler Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by bigtex, Feb 10, 2016.

1. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    In respect to a comparison with "any other scrambler":
    I recently bought a 2019 Triumph 1200 Scrambler XC. While I'm still doing break-in miles ... I can assure you that it is far more capable than the Stornello on both pavement and dirt.

This is not to say that I don't like my Stornello. I do. But, I also realize it is nothing more than a very pretty street bike with a high exhaust pipe.

BTW, has any thought been given to how a bash plate affects cooling?
  2. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    Only time I can recall being at a coffee house with the Stornello, I parked across the street :D, but I've been on fool's errands and in deep denial about lots of things all my life, so some farkles are fun even if they fall into those categories. That said, I have taken the Stornello on some dual tracks -- where it is just fine -- that became lesser "roads" :muuttand I was glad to have the Ago on there 'til I found a way to turn around and go back to safer places.

OBTW, so far at least) the sump extender has not been an issue on roads of any kind. In fact, the only time it's caused my pulse to jump was when I tried to sneak from one parking lot to another and the curb drop was deeper than expected. No contact, but it did worry me until clear.

IMO, the mocked-up bash plate looks OEM (& Italian :clap), and would seem to be better functionally (as hatchb4ck notes) than the Ago I have on mine now. So, I, too, am interested in how the project turns out.

Back now to cleaning the Norge after my run to Erie.

Bill
  3. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    I have no doubt that adding farkles brings great pleasure to many motorcycle owners. I once visited the Touratec exhibit at a BMW MOA rally and was gobsmacked by the vast amount of stuff they sell just for BMWs. Some of their products appeared to be actually useful.

Sadly, Guzzi owners don't enjoy a comparable level of access; and, evidently, have to resort to crafting their own custom accessories. I do wonder, however, how effective foam core board will function as a bash plate.
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  4. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    Uh....

5. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm. I assumed ChasADV was kidding. :augie

On a related note, I sometimes wonder if my Ago bash plate might do more harm than good if "seriously engaged." :(

That's actually an unlikely event, but life has a troubling tendency to bring unlikely into reality. :fpalm

Bill
  6. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was kidding.:thumb I hadn't considered that the bash plate fabricator might be an engineer.
  7. hatchb4ck

hatchb4ck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I do agree, the Stornello is no TT or Dual Sport. I've owned a few dual sports and they are great bikes for what they are. But, as previously mentioned, I view the Stornello as a classic scrambler. And not to dismiss the beauty and technology in the Triumph Scrambler 1200 XC/XE, but let's be honest, calling it a scrambler is branding. It is an adventure bike with retro styling.

I bought my Stornello because I love Moto Guzzi's and I love the classic lines of the frame/tank/etc. I'm fabricating the skid plate and pannier racks because of the riding I like to do and nothing else is out there. Whether or not someone else would do the type of riding I do or fabricate the items they want for their motorcycle is not for me to judge. Just love what you ride is what it's all about for me.

More updates this weekend, should have the metal bent up and ready for welding.
  8. fortrider

fortrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed, I bought mine for the same reason. I like the looks, ease of maintenance and the ability to travel on a gravel road or where ever I choose. I think most of us realize the Stornello was a matter of styling and not a dirt bike, at least I do. And I also will fabricate and install the items I like and do not want to be judged, as I don't judge what others do.
    Hatchb4ck, I am definitely interested in a skid plate. And I am not concerned as another might be about cooling or any nonsense like that. Keep welding, riding and staying safe.
  9. hatchb4ck

hatchb4ck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @fortrider
    On the cooling front, the finished plate will have ventilation along the front, sides, rear. I've been working on the placement/size of the openings and I have a pretty good layout finished up.
  10. hatchb4ck

hatchb4ck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On a side, yet related, note. I've been toying with the idea of trying to organize a little scrambler escapade along the Continental Divide trail for next year. I think it would be great fun to get other scrambler (Triumph/Ducati/Moto Guzzi/BMW/Harley/Vintage) owners together and wrestle our highly unsuitable motorcycles the length of the CDT. At first I thought of limiting the bikes to 6" of suspension travel or less. But heck, if you ride a Triumph XC/XE or a Ducati Desert Sled, awesome. It would be all in good fun. Just those bikes will be able to take some stuff faster than the more classic scramblers.

Would anyone here consider doing something like that?
  11. fortrider

Oddometer:
    hatchb4ck, I would consider it and it would be a blast. However, if there is a vaccine and the rest of the world will let us in we are planning to ship the Stornello and the wife's Monster to Europe to explore for 5-6 months of travel. We have plans to be in Mondello for the 100th Guzzi celebration (reservations are already made) and also ride with some friends from Spain again. If we are unable to travel overseas I will definitely join you, keep us posted. CDT would be a work out, but I know several that have done it, one on an older overloaded Aprilia Capanord.
    I live on what can be a nasty forest service road at times. I have picked up other peoples bikes, pulled trucks out of the side, but the Stornello still manages it fairly well, despite what others may think.
  12. hatchb4ck

hatchb4ck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That European trip sounds awesome. My wife and I had hoped to go to Lake Como this fall, but that has been indefinitely postponed.

I'll definitely post here and the trip planning forums when the idea get's a little more formalized.
  13. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    Hey ... let's keep politics out of this ... it's Como, not Cuomo. Of course, fortrider provoked you with his "Mondello." :D

Seriously, the thought of riding around most any part of Europe for several months is intoxicating. My German family is near the Boden See/Lake Constance, and we lived in Vicenza for several years (long ago). We get back as often as we can to visit relatives and also ride, especially in northern Italy. Regrettably, months away from here is out of reach for all sorts of reasons. I look forward to fortrider, yours, and others' planning and trip reports.

Bill
    hatchb4ck likes this.
  14. Closed Casket

Closed Casket Jaded and Faded Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey fellow Guzzisti! This is my first contribution to this thread, and it's because I just bought a fellow inmate's Stornello with just 1120 miles to which he installed a Hepco & Becker left bag mount and bag (hard case). I've had a zillion bikes, including the following Guzzis: '98 Sporti 1100 (new), V11 Sport (new), Norge, Stelvio (4V), Breva 1200 Sport, 2 different Griso's (4V), and now this 2016 Stornello. I'm smitten again. This is my first "small" bore Guzzi, and I'm in love with this gem of a V7 motor. Surprisingly good power and torque combined with classic Guzzi styling, shaft drive, and the undeniable exclusivity that owning such an Italian gem provides. I'm SO impressed with this bike. 80 mph indicated on the freeway is just 4900 rpm. Still pulling. That lucious sound out of the Arrow pipe is intoxicating (mine's been opened up a bit but not the full uncork). Light, maneuverable, comfortable ergos, no heat to bake your inner thighs even without water cooling (my Uly was a torture device here in Florida). I'm ecstatic. To me, I'd much rather have this limited edition Guzzi than any Ducati Scrambler with a chain to mess with. And I've had a bunch of Ducatis too. This is why Guzzi still thrives.

The lustful white and red tank, aluminum bits, stunning V-twin cylinders thrusting out of the beautiful red frame, perfect ergos, and Brembo brakes, this bike is an INSTANT classic that will only gain in value.

image0 (2).jpeg image1.jpeg
  15. fortrider

Oddometer:
    Dang Closed Casket, thats so pretty and shiny and unmolested. After owning 3 Stelvios I sure like the weight of the Stornello. Enjoy the ride, it's a good one.
    Closed Casket likes this.
  16. Closed Casket

Oddometer:
    Looked on AF-1 can't find them. Do you have a link please? Thanks and ciao!
  17. Closed Casket

Oddometer:
  18. hatchb4ck

hatchb4ck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great looking Stornello, and great background too. Enjoy the ride!
  19. hatchb4ck

hatchb4ck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A quick update from the shop. Rock guard is cut, drilled, bent, and ready to go to the welder.

Here's some pics of the finished work. (Didn't want to bore everyone with the process pics) I have to say, I feel pretty good with how it turned out so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    TimmyTheHog, fortrider and RedHawk47 like this.
  20. fortrider

Oddometer:
    hatchb4ck, that plate is looking good, great work. We got the right bag mount make on Friday, might need a bit more tweaking. However, the car is somewhat packed and the bikes are now loaded on a trailer as we are in voluntary evacuation anticipating mandatory due to the Cameron Peak fire. All roads around us are closed and it is like living with campfire smoke in your home 24/7. So it may be a bit before I get back to finishing the other side and I think we are going to miss the test ride the wife had planned for Thursday on a V85.