Moto Guzzi Scrambler Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by bigtex, Feb 10, 2016.

1. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been amused following this thread. I bought a Stornello largely because of it's appearance. Later, I bought an Eldorado 1400. Largely because of it's beautiful appearance. When my local dealer stopped selling the brand I was caught in a dilemma of what to do about service and warranty work. The next closest dealers were approximately 250 miles away.

Unlike some/many Guzzi owners ... I don't enjoy 'wrenching' on my bikes. I change oil, add farkles, and clean and polish my bikes. The absence of a convenient dealer presents a serious problem.

Bottom line, the Guzzis are gone and have been replaced by Triumphs.

A Presto.
    Tom
  2. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking good!

Was doing the similar thing as you are but wasn't satisfied with my way of clamping to the frame...then sold the bike...so that was that...

hoping you have a better solution/tie down than I did...
  3. hatchb4ck

hatchb4ck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a pretty good solution so far with 5 attachment points, but it could be better. When I take the plate in to be welded, I'm going to bring one of the clamps with me and talk to the fabricator about improvements. I think he might be able to weld up something more application specific for me at a reasonable cost.
  4. hatchb4ck

hatchb4ck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been busy lately, sorry for no updates on the project. Here is the latest.

Clearing space for creativity.
    [​IMG]

Right side hoop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Left side hoop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A little support for each side tied across the back
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tail rack/support for pannier strap
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since I started fighting the finish welds, I decided to take them to the fabricator that helped me with the rock guard.
    [​IMG]

As with any large project, you sometimes need to make a tool. I created a press brake to help bend the mounting tabs. Here a test piece.
    [​IMG]

Added some extra "area" to the side stand foot
    [​IMG]

Then decided to strip the head out of the lower shock mount bolt. I don't know if its just me but it feels like they used highstrength loctite on these little bolts. I tried a couple of methods to get it out, but in the end had to build the bolt up with the welder and twist it out with vice grips. Second photo is half way out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And......a final "glamour shot" of the finished skid plate.
    [​IMG]

Oooh...and some knobblies
    [​IMG]

Finished and off-road action pics to come next week.

Joe
  5. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    Wow.

Simply wow!

:clap

Bill
  6. fortrider

fortrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That skid plate looks great, wow is right.
    I know you just got tires. Sometime in the future lace a 19" to the front and what a difference it makes in the handling and tire choice. I had Woodys do one several years ago and don't regret it at all. Just have to raise the front fender about a 1/2".
    Waiting on the action pics.
    Thanks for sharing the photos of the build.
  7. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    Are those the K60 Scouts? I didn't realize they made them in the size for our Storney's. I've used a ton of them on the Stelvio and like them a lot. It's the most mileage I've ever gotten out of a tire on the Stelvio, they should be amazing on the Storney.
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  8. hatchb4ck

hatchb4ck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Iron Cross Junction Thanks, it's been fun figuring out the different ways to get what I want out of the pannier and tail rack.

@fortrider Glad to see you still out there. I hope the fires have been brought under control around your place.

I do wish I had a larger front wheel for the tire selection and perhaps that will be in the cards for next year.

@WitchCityBallabio Yes, yes they are Heidenau K60 Scouts. Front tire is a Front/Rear 110/80-18 and rear is a 130/80-17. I had them put some IRC heavy duty tubes in there as well, kept the stock tubes for the trail if needed. This is my first time with these, I'm excited to see how they perform.

Our ride this coming weekend is a 460 mile, 2 day, off-road scavenger hunt/fund raiser called Adventure Palooza. We are starting just south and west of St. Louis in the Mark Twain National forest and winding our way to Mexico, MO over the course of two days. Normally a combination of gravelly roads, mud, rutted out farm tracks, and creek/stream/river crossings. So, going to be a test for sure. Last year had lots of rain, heavy thunderstorms each night. This year looks to be better.
  9. fortrider

Oddometer:
    Well, today is another day on the hill for now as we are again in voluntary evacuation due to the fire making a run last night and consumed another 1500 acres. Several communities nearby have been mandatory evacuated and now have checkpoints to get through.
    That is some outstanding welding on the skid plate!!
  10. hatchb4ck

hatchb4ck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Make sure to stay safe out there.

I can't take any credit for the welding on the skid plate. That is all the great skill and handiwork of Jeremy at JayFab Werx here in KC. He's doing the finish welds on my racks today.

I plan to get the racks powder coated to match to the frame after the trip.

I think my next big project with be to flip the rear brake caliper above the swing arm by having a new bracket made/milled. We'll see what my resources for that kind of work are. That or create guard for it. That bleed nipple and ABS/TC wire are a bit vulnerable down there.

On a side note, can you share the details on your front wheel?

Joe
  11. hatchb4ck

hatchb4ck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So what do you guys think of the small right side rack above the exhaust?

My original plan was to have a small hoop below the exhaust but it was left hanging really low and didn't fit well with the natural mounting point below the seat.
  12. fortrider

Oddometer:
    Woodys did a wheel for about $500 if I remember correctly using a spare hub I had, should have a invoice somewhere. Had to raise the front fender 1/2". Tire selection is so much better than the 18" front and the handling is much improved. I had to recalibrate the traction control, 2nd gear, 11-13mph for a short distance if I remember correctly.
    We worked on a right side bag mount last week. A bit of a challenge for sure. It is not to my liking and we are working again Thursday to see if we can come up with a better solution. I need to carry close to a full size pannier as we are planning to ship the bikes to Europe sometime next year for the Guzzi 100th and to ride for 5-6 months. All that however depends on a vaccine.
    If your welder could do another skid plate let me know $$. Glad to pay for that quality of work.
  13. hatchb4ck

hatchb4ck Adventurer

Oddometer:

I've already been thinking of improvements to the design. My welder is more than happy to weld up another for me. I just need to make the design easier to bend prior to assembly. the individual bends to make the front radius on each side to connect to the center piece could be better

If you're not in a crazy rush, I'll start working on the new one in the coming weeks. And if I can improve the design, it will cost less to have it welded. Might switch to a 1/16th aluminum as well and add some stiffening beads with a bead roller. Would be lighter, and should be plenty strong to defend the bottom of the engine from the wayward rock.

Keep in mind, these are not designed to carry the full weight of the bike. That's why I try to call them rock guards vs. bash plates.
  14. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    Not ignoring this question or others about the mods beyond the bash plates ... erm ... rock guards, but that item is really the only one I might need ... erm ... want. :clap

The rest are of less interest, at least for my most likely future use. I keep trying to remember the inmate (mototrekkn?) who, in 2017, rode his STOCK Stornello from California to Ushala!

My own travels on the Stornello are pretty much local and the one small H-B side case, along with (at most) tank and tail bags are (way) more than enough. A larger front wheel and relocated rear-caliper are beyond my usual off-pavement riding which is pretty much limited to the likes of this:

[​IMG]

That said, all of what you are doing is inspiring and annoying. The former because those mods seem superbly conceived and executed. The latter, well, ditto. :D

Seriously, looking forward to watching it all come together when done.

Best,

Bill
    danketchpel likes this.
  15. fortrider

Oddometer:
    hatchb4ck
    I see you have the stock shocks. Hagons or most anything is better. Also, front inserts help also, I went with the Andreani, (sp).
    One of the weak links on the bike is how the swing arm attaches to the transmission, they use it as a pivot point.
    You got it looking good, can't wait to see it all reassembled and see how it all works. What type of bag are you putting on the right mount?
  16. hatchb4ck

hatchb4ck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The shocks have been replaced since those last pictures. I ordered up the MUPO front kit and GTM 2WS rear shocks from Guzzi Tech. I didn't have time to install the front kit, but the rear shocks are on now.

I have determined though, that with the +1" rear shocks, I'm going to need a wee bit taller sidestand. Probably find a Euro spec version.

Attached Files:

17. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For some reason I never measured it before...

what is your ground clearance now after the upgraded shock?
  18. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
  19. hatchb4ck

hatchb4ck Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    Top to bottom 1.25 inches.

It's this one: https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-rx-v7-sump-spacer-kit-black?_pos=1&_sid=fe90598aa&_ss=r

The lower leading edge of the sump now -- with spacer but minus the Ago bash plate; https://www.af1racing.com/Agostini-Skid-Plate-for-V7s-and-V7-IIs -- is about 6" from ground when level.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, I need to read more about those Heidenau tires. Curious about your impressions. I am transitioning to a more 40-60 (but dual track 60) rider. on the Stornello. Those look more 20-80 but looks can fool. The Pirelli STII's on it now look roady, but aren't bad off pavement, but I'll experiment when they need to be R&R'd.

Also might try that "enhanced" side stand you have.

Let me know if you need more on the sump spacer..

Bill