Moto Guzzi "Scrossler"..... New Year, New Project!

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by apozzo, Jan 23, 2019.

1. apozzo

apozzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,
    I'm Stefano and I'm from Italy.
    I've already written on the forum in the past when I've described the restoration and modification job on my 1969 GUZZI 850GT....

https://advrider.com/f/threads/nu-guzzi-loopframe-project.865075/page-3

Now I'm here to tell you about a new project I'm going to start on a Moto Guzzi V35II. The bike is a present done to me from a friend of mine!
    At first he asked me to restore the bike but after some time he leaved my country for job reasons and completely forgot the small Guzzi for 7 years!!! But some month ago he called to me at the phone telling me that he wanted the give me the bike at the only condition that I've re-put it on the road!!!
    So......I've immediately accepted and I've immediately start to work on the bike!!! It's really really hard to find time to work on the bike but I'm so happy to start this new adventure!!!
    I hope this work could be interesting for you and I want to tell you about it!!
    At first....this was the bike when I've started to work on it....

174229_1546857756_0.jpg

174229_1546857825_0.jpg
  2. PerazziMx14

PerazziMx14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had both a 1981 V50 MK3 and a 2012 V7 Racer. I much preferred the older small blocks to the new. Someday I'll get another. I also wouldn't getting ahold of a V35 just for the rarity of them in the USA.

As for a restoration on your bike it looks cosmetically good. If it were mine other than cleaning it up, new tires, general maintenance, wiring checkout and drilling the bearing lube hole in the rear drive I run it like it is.

Keep us posted on our progress.
  3. apozzo

apozzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Perazzi!
    You must get another Guzzi!!! I agree with your opinion about older and new Guzzi small blocks....I prefer the first me too!
    About your words.....I didn't know V35 are rare in USA....here in Italy there are hundred and hundred....
    For this reason I've decided to create a custom version.....a really particular version!
    At first....during the first week I've started to completely dismount the bike....in a weekend the bike has been completely dismounted.....
    Old Mule likes this.
  4. PerazziMx14

PerazziMx14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a 1980 SP1000 last Thursday. I also have a 1975 850T. The SP is my 14th Guzzi:yikes
    Old Mule and radguzzi like this.
  5. radguzzi

radguzzi The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer:
    Stefano,
    Nice to start with. I do not know the numbers of the V35 in the US, probably fewer than the V50 and V65...

I picked up this V65 late last Summer. It has been interpreted by a previous owner and I like the different fitments, the V7-ish fuel tank, side covers. Pretty neat little rig.

Keep us posted on your direction and progress.

[​IMG]
  6. apozzo

apozzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Uauuuu guys!! I'm so happy to know American Guzzi owners like you!!! Perazzi you have a Guzzi "armory"!! :D:D:D
    Radguzzi your V65 is really beautiful!!! Nice Marzocchi absorbers, V7 tank and the seat also.....really smooth!!
    About my project.....I'm at the beginning......:fpalm:fpalm......I can't see the end of the story now but I'm working hard to end the bike for Summer.....pray for me!!!
    However.....I start to tell.....
    After the dismounting of the bike, I've immediately started to think at the focal points of a customization project (in my opinion of course!!)....
    - The fork;
    - The Fuel tank;
    - The seat.
    This 3 points in my opinion make the success of a custom bike.....
    In order of writing, I've started from the fork....the only thing I'd clear in my mind from the moment I've known that this bike could be mine!! The idea of a "Scrossler" (Scrambler and Cross together.....apozzo copyright:lol3:lol3) roamed in my mind from many many times and this kind of bike in my opinion must have a strong, an "agricultural" fork!!! Starting from this fact, and considering my love for the Guzzi world, the fork choose has been really really simple....a GUZZI ERCOLE fork!!! The time to make some phone phone calls and in a week the part was in my garage!!
    When the fork was in front of me I've immediately understood that it needed a machine work to adapt it to the new frame! I've studied and measured many hours the V35 pipe and the Ercole upper and bottom plate and I've finally decided to reproduce the V35 bottom plate on the Ercole bottom plate....I've reduced the steering spindle diameter from 28mm to 25mm and I've reproduced the V35 thread. The Ercole spindle lenght is upper than V35 but I hadn't cut it because the upper plate is upper than V35. The Ercole upper plate has been widened in the central hole to receive the V35 upper nut.
    Here some images.....I'm not so good with English......so I don't know if I'm able to let you understand every single passage.....I'll try...

PHOTO-2018-12-13-09-33-00.jpg

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

This is the firs fit on the frame.......with my incredible surprise no many problems.....:rofl

IMG_0538.JPG
    Richarde1605 and dpforth like this.
  7. apozzo

apozzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Staying on the fork....on the front I'll mount a 17" wheel with a 15mm spindle. In my box I've an old and ruined 17mm rear spindle remained from the 850GT restoration! I've created the new spindle machining this old spindle. I've threaded the end part on the spindle and I've done the same on the fork hole.

PHOTO-2018-12-16-20-46-44 (1).jpg

PHOTO-2018-12-16-20-46-44.jpg
    dpforth and Richarde1605 like this.
  8. apozzo

apozzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So the fork is quite complete! I've already realized the spacers around the front spindle to mount the front wheel and so the last thing I have to do to complete the front job is the suspension! As you certainly know, the Ecole fork has a central back spring that work to absorb the shocks.....I want to substitute this big spring with a monoshock taken from a modern bike. I think It could work better that the original spring and it could give great comfort to the front.
    Told you about the fork....we can pass to the other focal point of the project: the fuel tank.
    I can't tell you how many images I've seen on the net to choose the right tank for this bike! I've passed many night on the PC to see bikes and fuel tanks.....I didn't want to make an "already seen" bike and so none of the fuel tanks I saw on the net liked to me!
    But one Sunday, while I was roaming on the net to search a brake master cylinder for the bike, I've suddenly see it!!! At first the fuel tank didn't impress me a lot but looking it better I've started to imagine it on my frame and some hours later I've decide to propose a "buy it now" price to the seller! The seller soon accepted my offer and the day after I've payed it! Would you like to know where the tank was?? USA naturally!!!
    The seller was extremely sincere with me and from the beginning he told me that the fuel tank had 2 small holes in the backside but I've already decided to risk!
    3 weeks later the fuel tank arrived to me.....here it is......

serba1.jpg

serba3.jpg

serba5.jpg

It's a Rickman fiberglass fuel tank. The cap is missing but the rest is in really good conditions! Naturally, I had to close the holes in some way and so I've started to study the best way to do it!
  9. drhach

drhach We can't stop here, this is bat country!!

Oddometer:
    So is that 350cc engine? I'm not too well versed in Guzzi terms. What a fun project.

Edit: So I just searched Google, yes it is a 350cc. I would take that over Honda 350 any day. How cool.
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  10. radguzzi

radguzzi The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer:
    That V65 is actually for sale, I won't hijack your build thread to promote it but I'll supply the link later on, if you don't mind.

I, like Perazzi have owned waaaaay too many Guzzis, I stopped counting after twenty something. Still have four here.

Man, that is quite the fork assembly...! Gonna be a cool rig for sure.

Rob
  11. apozzo

apozzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Rob! No problem for me! We are a community....if you want to put a link...do it!!
    Coming back to my restoration project....we're arriving to the present....
    The Sunday after the fuel tank was arrived to me, I've provided to check it filling it with water and I've immediately see it coming out from the two small holes in the back side!! It meant that the holes weren't so small and I've to fix them in a definitive way! So, I've taken a fiberglass kit with resin, hardener and mat and I've started the reparation:
    1) At first I've cut 6 small mat squares;
    2) I've cleaned and sanded the surface around the holes;
    3) I've prepared the resin in the right ratio with the hardener;
    4) I've applied 3 squares for each parts on the 2 holes with many resin after every square.
    I've done this operation in a really hot place and I've made it rest for 24 hours.
    The day after I've re-checked the tank re-filling water inside: no leak sign! The tank is closed now!!!
    However, I think that the only way to be 100% sure that the fuel tank will never leak in the future is to put the specific resin in the inside.....in Italy this resin is called tankerite.

IMG_0502.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg
    steam powered likes this.
  12. apozzo

apozzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys....
    Here I am.....with other news on my project!
    This is the first fuel tank test on the frame......I'm quite happy about the result....I've bought it at miles and miles from me and I couldn't know how it could look on the frame!
    So....here it is....

IMG_0314.JPG

What do you think about?
    I like it and so I've decided to adapt it on my V35 frame!
    At first I've thought to use the resin to insert the brackets under the fuel tank.....but than I've abandoned this idea because this tank seem to be quite rare and I didn't want to waste it!
    So I've decided to create 2 iron brackets (one on the front and one the the rear) to apply to the frame that will sustain the fuel tank....and than to set the fuel tank using one (or two) hand made belts.
    This are the brackets on the frame.....the front one is welded on the frame while the rear is fixed with a collar....(the brackets are at the initial stage....I've to refine them!)...

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG
  13. apozzo

apozzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Done with the fuel tank (the paint job is remanded to the hot season!)...I'm going on with other works....the bevel gear!!
    To speak about it I've to start talking about the rear wheel and hub! Some week ago I was surfing on ebay searching for parts.....a wheel captured my attention: the seller didn't know which bike it was for and so he was selling it as a "unknown wheel" at 55€ + shipping cost! The seller had uploaded many images of the wheel and watching this photos I've immediately understood that it was a beautiful Guzzi rear wheel....

10-10-2018 11_43_30.jpg

I've immediately clicked on the "buy it now" button and I've purchased the wheel! When the wheel arrived to me I've tested it with my bevel gear box but It wasn't ok!!! In fact my bevel gear box is done for the alloy wheel and not for the spoke wheel....the difference is in the hub shape and width! The alloy hub is larger than the spoke wheel hub and has a shape that don't allow it to support the gear bevel pin!
    However.....non matter on the old Guzzis....the mechanical criteria of this marvelous bikes are so simple and solid to allow every sort of modify and custom job!!! So, I've studied and measured the difference between the the spoke wheel hub and my bevel gear box and I've understood as I could adapt!!! This job is simple and fast:

1) The first step is cutting off the original disc support on the bevel gear box....in fact this rim interfere with the outside part of the spoke wheel hub and don't allow the pin to completely go inside it!

IMG_0249.JPG

2) The second step is to erase the final parts of the "fusion fins" of the crown support.....they could interfere with the spokes of the wheel making a terrible damage!

20131203_154013.jpg

3) The third and final step is cutting off a part of the rear pin spacer (it's done for the alloy wheel hub that is larger that the spoke wheel hub!!) and than the bevel gear box can be remounted!

IMG_0297.JPG

My English is terrible and I don't know if every step is clear for you!!! The images helps a lot!
  14. apozzo

apozzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This week end I've finished to work on the bevel box inside....
    I've dismounted all the inside parts to check and change the bearings and the seals....the bevel box is now mechanically as new! In the next days I'll clean the outside, remount everything and prepare it to the final reassembly work!

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG
  15. PerazziMx14

PerazziMx14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Before you close up thebevel box for good, there is crossover hole that you should drill to allow better flow of oil. I forget if it’s documented on this old tractor or Guzziogy
    chris a likes this.
  16. apozzo

apozzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Perazzi!! Could you show me where this hole could be drilled with an image??
  17. chris a

chris a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guzziology chapter 13. 8 mm hole drilled in the top of the casting holding the pinion bearing but i don't have a picture....
  18. apozzo

apozzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Chris....where I can find this Guzziology?
  19. chris a

chris a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dave sells on Amazon now.either kimble or paper versions available
  20. apozzo

apozzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok! I'll take it in the next days.....I've seen on the net that it's a really complete and detailed guide!