Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took the liberty to copy your above paragraph on southern Utah, into my list of places & things to see. Unfortunately, am not sure why they put UT so far away from East coast, because any time I am there, always must rush to get back, across the whole continent! :lol3
  2. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    You have to go, it was our first time but won't be our last. Cooling off (soaking our vests and feet)
    [​IMG]

and yes Hwy 12 was probably the highlight of the trip, cell phone pics will never do landscapes justice and this was a very surreal scene, riding along the spine of the mountain with steep, long drop offs on BOTH sides of you, literally on the shoulder of the road and you're heading for the edge, you have no idea where the hell the road is, or where it's going, or how the hell they even built a road there...
    [​IMG]

a little writeup on the area...
    https://utah.com/grand-staircase-escalante/hells-backbone

Hole in the rock was a very cool stop, great story and history, worth the price of admission... (note Jeep on top)
    [​IMG]

Dead Horse Point State Park (2000' down), skipped the 3 hour lines into Arches and enjoyed this park
    [​IMG]
  3. Utrider1

Utrider1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Damn ALL of YOU!!! :D

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/56438820

This is on our local classified board............I'm just about done putting the Stelvio back together, the V85 is in my opinion the perfect Utah bike............as Drac mentioned I have an URGE..........to have a Griso. Still not sure what I want to do with the bits of the Norge, when I can pick up a Griso sooooooooo cheap.
  4. Utrider1

Oddometer:
    Oh, yeah and Hwy 12..........ummm
    Dracula likes this.
  5. Utrider1

Oddometer:
    Off of Hwy 12, between Escalante and Boulder there's a turnoff to "Hells Backbone" it's primarily a dirt road, in very good condition. It has a bridge on it that spans about a 100 ft, but the drops on each side are several hundred feet. There's a plaque that tells the story about how this was the way the postal service served the community of Boulder before Hwy 12 was built. Beautiful area, the loop is about 34 miles of good dirt if my memory serves me. If you have the time turning it into a loop as part of going across 12 is well worth the time. If you do it right, you can ride the hogback 2x. :clap
    aftCG and Dracula like this.
  6. Dracula

Oddometer:
    .. please don't stop, do continue! :ear :ear :ear :ear :ear :ear
    [​IMG]
  7. Utrider1

Oddometer:

Well since you asked........outside of Boulder headed east, you can tackle the famous "Burr Trail" with it's switchbacks, however on your way to the switchbacks you get to go through "Long Canyon"......there are many Long Canyon's in and around the area, but this one is really special. It was on this road going east to west that I fell in love with my Stelvio. My friend was on his KTM 690 which he rides very well, and let's just say the big girl danced through the canyon like a prima ballerina on Red Bull.........go to about 3:30 in to get to the entrance from the West (Boulder) side.

If you do this, do NOT miss Hwy 12 as it goes North to Grover over Boulder Mtn. Figure out someway to do a loop or go out and down the switchbacks and back. Boulder Mtn is a great ride. Ah, hell just take a couple of days and explore/enjoy the whole area.

Stay in Panguitch or Duck Creek, travel up 12 through Red Canyon and into Bryce Canyon National Park. Out of there, head east through Tropic and on to Escalante. East out of Escalante over the Hogback to Hell's Backbone, back through Escanlante and over the Hogback again (you may have missed something the first time through) to Boulder. At Boulder go North to Torrey, then east on 24 down through Capitol Reef to Notom Rd. Head South on Notom Rd to the "Burr Trail" (This will be mostly dirt, to the top of "Long Canyon" from just after you turn off Hwy 24, probably about 40 miles or so). Something like this............

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pan...f54405543!2m2!1d-111.4395128!2d37.9220877!3e0

I would budget a minimum of 2 good 8 hour days to do this. You could certainly do it faster, but you would miss out on some fantastic scenery. There are good accommodations in Torrey, Panguitch, Bryce Canyon and the small towns have ok places to crash. If you enjoy camping, well most of the ground is BLM so if you find a comfy spot to pitch your tent......just do it!

Take LOT's of WATER!!! Especially in the heat of the summer, if you hear about some rain coming you do NOT want to be on any of the dirt. It's gets greasy as all get out and you will have issues. It does dry off pretty quick, but you have been warned.
    alfie698, Dracula and aftCG like this.
  8. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    This one is local to me. Obviously a hardcore ADV rider based on that KLR 650 luggage setup

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/d/seattle-2015-moto-guzzi-griso-1200se/6915445501.html
    Utrider1 likes this.
  9. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Thank you so very very much, Sir! :bow
    Utrider1 likes this.
  10. Dracula

Oddometer:
  11. hawkboy647

hawkboy647 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You’re a smart man to let the lady win the race....
  12. Doc.

Doc. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do a fair bit of standing on mine, I just like the feeling.
    Also makes it easier to slalom round all the potholes on the paved Moto-Cross Tracks that pass for Roads in the UK!

Still can’t believe just how quickly a 275kg Bike can change direction, standing up and weighting the pegs heavily will have it dancing around like a Mountain Goat on Acid!
    Jonnybeau and Dracula like this.
  13. Outwardbound

Outwardbound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Help.....
    Several years ago I did a successfull throttle body sync (I have the digital manometer). It went very well, following steps I read online.
    Now, a friend asked me to help him do his...and I can't locate the link to the instructions (I believe Pete Roper posted it somewhere). I printed the instructions out but can't find them, either. Does anyone have that link handy?
    Much appreciated my friends.
    PS...my 06 still runs like a Rolex w 25k.
  14. Dracula

Oddometer:
    1) Reset the TPS.
    2) Close both bleed screws under the Throttle Bodies. (Only one should be open).
    3) Connect your gauges or CarbMate or whatever device you use. At 3,500 to 4,000 rpm, adjust the throttle body balance screw (not the sacred screw!!!) until both cylinders show identical readings.
    4) Switch off the engine and reset the TPS again.
    5) Restart the engine and check the balance at idle. Unscrew the bleed screw under the Throttle Body showing the highest vacuum slightly until both cylinders read as close to same or within specified tolerance.

From manual: Cyl vacuum max difference at 2,000 ~ 3,000 rpm should be less than 1 cm Hg (or 1.33 kpa or 13.3 Millibar)

Note: You may find out none of idle screws need to be open for idle vacuum to be in spec.
    Gillmeister and severely like this.
  15. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    That'll do it.
    Dracula likes this.
  16. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer

Oddometer:
    '06?
    Dracula likes this.
  17. Tudorgates

Tudorgates Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One of those days!!!!
    As some of you know, when I bought the Stelvio I kept my old Dorsoduro (first time owning two road bikes) just because I liked it so much. Well four years later and the Dorsoduro has hardly turned a wheel - seems I don't really need two 'big' bikes, So I traded it for a new KTM 690smcr - bit of a silly back lane bike to compliment the Stelvio.
    Anyway, 5 days later the thing is as dead as a Dodo, and waiting for the dealer to come and collect it.
    Call from the driver, he's on his way, so I start moving things round in the garage to make getting it out easier - bike bumped the lift, lift bumped the Stelvio, Stelvio falls off the stand hits the bench - and lands under it!!
    The bench is sort of built into the garage so cant be moved and I cant get under it to lift the Stelvio back up because there's a Stelvio in the way!!!
    Several swear words and a bit of help later she's out! fairly unscathed for the number of very solid things she hit on the way down. Slight scratch on the screen, slight mark on the rear rack and a snapped front brake master cylinder!
    I'm classing this as quite lucky.
    So I need to source a new master cyl. Do any of you good folk know if any other models/bikes use the same master cyl, or do I need to find one from a Stelvio, and are there year differences, with/without abs etc.
    Cheers
    Des
  18. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    XT Traveler, Dracula and hawkboy647 like this.
  19. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Well in all fairness, I did have a kennel bolted to mine for awhile...

[​IMG]

That was until Ruby saved up her allowance and bought herself a Ural that I got to drive her around in.
    Jonnybeau, XT Traveler, aftCG and 2 others like this.
  20. Canuck1969

Canuck1969 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Feel for you. Been there. Not an easy bike to lift if you can't get under it.

We may have jinx it by talking about Barkbuster guards and the risk of busting the MC if it tips over and hits the handguard or the mirror. Real dumb design to use the MC as a securing point for a handguard and/or mirror.

Did it snap the entire MC and it is now leaking, or just the mirror mount. If just the mount there is a work around with separate mirror mounts and BarkBuster guards (been there, did that). You will be better off with those even if you do replace the MC. If it is the MC then that will require a replacement.

I know the rear is the same as the Griso but not sure about the front. Perhaps the Norge. Someone with more experience in interchangeable parts will respond.
    Dracula likes this.