Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. xcountry41

xcountry41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A longer and skinnier one.
    XT Traveler and Dracula like this.
  2. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still dating?
    Jonnybeau and Doc. like this.
  3. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Traitor!!! ... all my hopes are lost now to ever visit Oz.. and borrow one. I truly hope you enjoy your new steed and don't do anything with it I wouldn't do! But above all else, check in with us for time to time!
    Jonnybeau, Dr AT and xcountry41 like this.
  4. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Yeah man, it fucking hit me hard, painful and fast, in ways I think not even ayahuasca can. And made me dig to my origins, in a spiritual way that's unbelievable. My soul and mind's eyes are wide open and I see alot. Mother is gone now, and old man is mentally going but very very gradual and he realizes it! .. toughest time of my life thus far, second to a stupid divorce. If I survive it well, I would truly learn something about what life really is..
    Peace.
    guzziraz, Jonnybeau, Dons1911 and 4 others like this.
  5. Doc.

Doc. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't leave Dr AT, as a long-term owner, you have a wealth of knowledge to share, even though you've made the huge mistake of selling the Stelvio . . . :-):thumb
  6. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not really , the only issues I had in 4 years was a few suspension bolts bending. Admittedly I'd fixed all the things you guys identified as potential issues before they became issues. :deal
    Jonnybeau, Doc. and Gillmeister like this.
  7. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bgr that, I bought the swm specifically for doing things I shouldn't do!
    Doc., Gillmeister and Dracula like this.
  8. River Rat

River Rat Greybeard

Oddometer:
    Very sorry to hear that Vic, dementia is a bastard of a thing. We just lost our BIL at 73 to prostate cancer a month ago, the SIL (wife's sister) was diagnosed with dementia at 68 (although the signs were there about 4 years earlier and both were in denial) and now at 73 her sons have had to put her in an aged care facility, the hard part is that at times we can see that in there somewhere she is still present, if only briefly. The BIL had been a full time carer for her for the past few years as she has slowly deteriorated, despite the issues he took her to South America 2 years ago and the UK and Portugal earlier this year. Don't know how he managed, those Vietnam vets are made of stern stuff!!

I know it's a difficult time for you Vic but things will get better and you will survive, my thoughts are with you
    Dr AT, Dracula and Gillmeister like this.
  9. Dracula

Oddometer:
    @RiverRat I really appreciate the words of encouragement, thank you! And my warmest thanks to all those who have so kindly expressed their supportive thoughts or just simply tolerate all this diverting from our normal topics.
  10. Tudorgates

Tudorgates Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,
    Bit bummed out, Just been trailered home after the big girl shit the bed again, this time leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere at the top of Scotland while on the MCN 767.

Seems the ECU is fried again, I can only assume last years repair was sub par.
    I’m hoping it’s not an intermittent fault on the bike that’s frying the ECU – some sort of electrical spike?? I’ve done 2000 mile since the last time, so hopefully not

I want to try a replacement ECU, hoping it’s my old one that is the weak link, either before or due to the repair. The problem with this is Guzzi are saying new ones are no longer available (and even if they were, the cost would probably kill me) and the only second hand one I can find is £500

I think I recall someone saying a few Ducatis use the same ECU, specifically the 1098 (same pin out etc)
    These ECU’s are readily available, and a lot cheaper.

Does anyone know for sure if it is plug and play? ie I buy the Ducati ECU, plug it in to the Guzzi, use Guzzidiag/writer to upload my map, and off we go?

Cheers
  11. hipine

hipine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing how those parts on the floor there morph into a snow blower attachment for ahead of the front wheel of the Stelvio!
    -Dave G.
  12. Doc.

Oddometer:
    A little info here . . .

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/1200-sport-ecu-what-other-bikes-use-it.12157/

http://www.technoresearch.com/data/media/pages/CurrentMotorbikeECUMasterList.pdf
  13. Doc.

Oddometer:
  14. Trialsman

Trialsman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been absent with this thread since I started putting miles on my V85, I love it. I do have a question for my son who has my 13 Stelvio. His gas tank spews gas everywhere and is blistering the paint on the tank. Before it is totally ruined something needs fixed. It seems the venting doesn't work and it pressurizes until it squirts out the top. On the KTM 990 there was a "flapendectomy" you could do to solve the problem. Any advise?
  15. Gillmeister

Gillmeister Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Australia we just have a vent from the fuel cap into a tube that vents out under the bike. Very simple.
    I think you guys have a charcoal canister up in the fairing that you have to deal with. Aka remove.
    Previous threads have covered it I think.
    Someone may have the link hopefully
  16. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    S'gotta have the same HW number or it no workee.
  17. Gillmeister

Oddometer:
    My turn today.
    Out for a ride bike pulling like a train.
    But . Starts and then turns off . Needs quarter throttle to start and when hot won't idle , cuts into one cylinder after 5 or so secs and stalls at traffic lights etc.

Ideas. Other than that it's usual self
  18. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plug caps? Tight valves?
  19. Gillmeister

Oddometer:
    Hey Pete.
    NGK caps and did the valve check about 1000 klms ago.
    Has never been keen to idle even from new, but has never completely stalled like today, and always has started just off the button.

On the ecu matter above seems unusual for Guzzi to have ceased supply .

Also what's happening to Turdio?
    Regards
  20. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
    It hasn't been 'Tuned' by a Shaved Ape has it? Mark came across two Stelvios at the Ragged Fringe that had had their throttle stop screw played with. One of them the Ape was specifically told to leave it alone but he knew better! Not only did he mess with the screw he also attacked the 'Lock nut', (Which isn't a lock nut!) with an angle grinder for some reason known only to an Ape! Needless to say it was running like a sack of shit. That one is coming in this week. We're really looking forward to it.........NOT,

Has it ever had the TB's balanced properly? TPS checked? Deteriorating idle is usually down to tight valves or enfuckment of the TB's by an Ape. Could be stepper related as well.

Oh, and the Turdio is in Wagga getting the single spark 1400 mapped.
    xcountry41 likes this.